Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I can't stand their faces either. Nothing needs that many eyes. Spiders are miniature beholders, and I don't want to get hit by a disintegrate beam. Stills of them, CG spiders, anything spider-like gets destroyed if it's in my house. It goes double for scorpions, but we don't have those where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ok, spiders I can get when it comes to phobias, due to their weird appearance and movement and the fact that some are poinonous. What I don't get is grasshoppers. Some people are so afraid of grasshoppers they won't go on a pach of grass that have em. What's the deal with that?

(Also, I've never really been afraid of spiders; I usually find them fascinating, and big spiders like tarantulas are like big fuzzy hampsters as far as I'm concerned. :3: My phobias are completely natural, like tight spaces, or heights. Or the dark.)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I love spiders and like inspecting the adorable ones i find before setting them free (although i find most insects fascinating, even the ones who actually have the ability to bite/sting me). Of course everyone has widely different things that make them feel uncomfortable to the point of a panic reactions.

The slightly odd part is always when people start trying to rationalize their irrational phobias and involuntary physical reactions. It's cool, really, you don't have to, that's kind of why they're called that.

Of course if wildlife or certain situations are really life-threatening where you live, there's nothing irrational about it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I love spiders and like inspecting the adorable ones i find before setting them free (although i find most insects fascinating, even the ones who actually have the ability to bite/sting me). Of course everyone has widely different things that make them feel uncomfortable to the point of a panic reactions.

The slightly odd part is always when people start trying to rationalize their irrational phobias and involuntary physical reactions. It's cool, really, you don't have to, that's kind of why they're called that.

Of course if wildlife or certain situations are really life-threatening where you live, there's nothing irrational about it.

I don't know how people can go outside in Australia. Chinchilla-sized spiders? :ohdear:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

I don't know how people can go outside in Australia. Chinchilla-sized spiders? :ohdear:
No kidding, that place would be Hell for me. Anyway, I don't know what causes it, but I was born that way and even small and videogame spiders scare the poo poo out of me. It might have something to do with the movement since the fear is also triggered by stuff like Doom 3's Trites (who only have six legs) and I'm, too, rather fond of scorpions.
Long story short, videogamearachnophobia is a thing and the Dark Engine games have some of the finest specimens I've run into. Thankfully, they can all be modded fairly easily.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Because the spiders go inside.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

OAquinas posted:

Can we make a kickstarter for "anilEhilated LP's Australia"? :v:

Seriously though, I guess it just goes into the fight or flight thing with me, if something scares me I automatically go down the fight it route rather than noping the gently caress out of there.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Thief's spiders were still less horrible than the buzzing, slavering hellspawn from System Shock 2. :gonk:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Seeing spiders sends a chill down my spine, but they are useful fellers (at least here in the icy North where everything dangerous must be physically big to survive the winter) so I always just catch them and carry them outside. In games I don't find them icky at all.

Anyway, I'll be part of the control group because my experience with Thief is limited to seeing the games on sale on Steam every summer and christmas. I really enjoyed the Dark Mod video mainly because it is a flawless run by a competent thief, whereas when I play a stealth sim it's a mess of savescumming and cursing. I'm looking at you, DE:HR. I'd rather just kick down the door and take what's rightfully mine.

I may have to dig up the old Thief LP if it's as entertaining as the Dark Mod video :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Thief's spiders were still less horrible than the buzzing, slavering hellspawn from System Shock 2. :gonk:

That one Sim Unit :eng99:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

That one Sim Unit :eng99:

Sorrow... so much sorrow...
Yup, that's the point where I decided I need the nospider mod to live.

edit:

Nalesh posted:

Can we make a kickstarter for "anilEhilated LP's Australia"? :v:
anilEhilated refuses to play even things by Spiderweb Software.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 14, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I have a pet spider in the corner of my living room. His name is Dave and he catches flies for me. We're house-buddies and we have an understanding. He sticks to his corner of the house and I don't vacuum his poo poo.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

OAquinas posted:

They are not chinchilla-sized you baby. I should know, I live here.

Fist-sized at the most and those ones are harmless.

It's the ones that can fit on your pinky that will loving kill you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
When I was at Jungle School in Panama, I got up close and personal looks at spiders big enough to meet the 'You Must Be This Tall' signs at amusement parks. At least they seemed that big during a training patrol and you hit the ground and you're staring eye to so many eyes with one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When I was at Jungle School in Panama, I got up close and personal looks at spiders big enough to meet the 'You Must Be This Tall' signs at amusement parks. At least they seemed that big during a training patrol and you hit the ground and you're staring eye to so many eyes with one.

:gonk:
That's the one kind of spiders I honestly can't stand. No issues with longlegs and only minor ones with wolf or hunting spiders but anything larger than that makes my skin crawl.

Thankful I live in Scandinavia so the worst thing I have to deal with is wolf spiders who are way too fast for their own good at times. But they're harmless so I just tend to toss them outside whenever I encounter them.

The only video game spiders that make me feel creeped out was probably the ones in Dark Messiah. Otherwise they tend to be cartoonish or something so that I never sets of any alarms.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

With all this spider talk, I wanted to direct you fine gentlegoons to this adorable fella.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 15, 2014

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

While the official Thief game feels incredibly generic, The Dark Mod really does seem truer to the "Thief experience", it's almost like re-watching your LPs of the games from a few years ago.

That said, I also wonder if these mods added brand new elements that weren't present in Thief 1 and 2, such as new factions to steal from, or other things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

VolticSurge posted:

With all this spider talk, I wanted to direct you fine gentlegoons to this adorable fella.

I watch videos like these to help myself get over my fear of spiders. It's worked some!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

That's loving horrifying. And I like spiders.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Zuzie posted:

That said, I also wonder if these mods added brand new elements that weren't present in Thief 1 and 2, such as new factions to steal from, or other things.

There's an engineer's guild, but I guess you could say that they are functionally the same as Mechanists (albeit entirely secular).

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

That reminded me that I needed to stop and buy some more Raid after working out at the Y tomorrow. Thanks!

insanityv2 posted:

There's an engineer's guild, but I guess you could say that they are functionally the same as Mechanists (albeit entirely secular).

I always felt that Thief's universe had room for more factions than just the pagan/fey creatures, the Hammerites, and the Keepers. Making the nobles a faction makes sense, but a few more religions wouldn't hurt if Thief was set in a polytheist society. How about some alchemists or maybe even a college of wizards, since magic is a thing, at least in Thief I it was.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 15, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

azren posted:

Short version:

Alternatively, there are more explanatory answers. 1) If you want to dig back in human history and evolution, there are some really loving dangerous spiders out there. It's entirely possible that there's become a hardwired response in many human brains that says "spider=dangerous." 2) For me, it's something about the way they move. I can't for the life of me tell you what it is, but their movement just seems so alien and unnatural, even compared to insects and other arachnids (scorpions are fine, for some reason). I find their faces freaky, and something about still pictures of them can still creep me out, although I can't tell you why. It's also damned inconsistent; video game and CG spiders don't freak me out unless they're called Shelob.

Then again, I had the everloving piss scared out of me by the popup of the spider's face in Sim Ant when I was 2 or 3, and I'm pretty sure that stuck with me.

There's a similar thing with snakes too, who can be really loving dangerous in some areas too, especially when they're hard to spot.

After reading a bit there's some discussion on where the roots of the fear lie. For example, it is generally agreed that snakes and spiders get our attention very quickly, at least there is probably some sort of evolved 'snake/spider spotting' part of us. However, there's some doubt on whether the fear response is really evolved or its just a rooted in a generalized understanding of them as dangerous and shared negative experiences. Some studies I read suggested that even people who are acclimatized to them (experts) still pay them a lot of mind but they don't have the same fear. But that might just be their predilections. Still, there's obviously something there as phobias of both are widespread and much above their comparative danger in a lot of areas.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Adding more factions I think would dilute the prominence each faction has in the story. Take the pagans vs hammers conflict. On the one hand there's anthropocentric, modernising monotheists, and they're set against pantheistic heathens who revere nature. Far more than just extraneous fluff, these two factions play a central role in much of the Thief storyline, with the trickster driving the plot of the first game and a heretical sect of the hammers doing so in the second. The city watch and the keepers play their roles too, enforcing their own interpretations of order while this war of ideas rages on. There may be wizards, we know there are other thieves and even thieves' guilds operating in the city, but Thief's setting is murky and ambiguous, with even the city's name left to the imagination. Unless relevant to the overarching plot or a particular mission's subplot, establishing a new player in the city would jar somewhat with the very sparing but meticulously designed setting and storytelling that are a hallmark of the franchise. It could even threaten to sprawl and become Tolkienesque :spergin:worldbuilding:spergin: that would utterly ruin the atmosphere and mood, for me at least.

Garret doesn't know or care if there's a candlemaker's guild or a wizard's college operating in the city unless the former have invented a new, unsnuffable candle or somebody's commissioned him to steal the philosopher's stone from Hogwarts.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
More of my unsolicited opinions: you all are babies vis a vis the spiders. Mages are canon in Thief: The Mage Towers mission in Theif Gold is really good but doesn't make up for the abomidnation that is the Theives Guild.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I suppose too many new factions would make the setting a bit too complicated. You play as a ordinary thief who only wants to pay the rent after all. I was also thinking of more kinds of hazardous enemies to avoid, supernatural or not.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

TomViolence posted:

Adding more factions I think would dilute the prominence each faction has in the story. Take the pagans vs hammers conflict. On the one hand there's anthropocentric, modernising monotheists, and they're set against pantheistic heathens who revere nature. Far more than just extraneous fluff, these two factions play a central role in much of the Thief storyline, with the trickster driving the plot of the first game and a heretical sect of the hammers doing so in the second.

Yes, yes, it's the old romanticism vs. enlightenment, harmony vs. discipline, and elves vs. dwarves tropes. While Thief did a fantastic take on it, the first two games pretty much milked it. Sticking to it would make Thief start to feel like Zelda, and that would be a shame. While I love Zelda games, they really do need to find non-Ganon-centered plots.

quote:

There may be wizards, we know there are other thieves and even thieves' guilds operating in the city, but Thief's setting is murky and ambiguous, with even the city's name left to the imagination. Unless relevant to the overarching plot or a particular mission's subplot, establishing a new player in the city would jar somewhat with the very sparing but meticulously designed setting and storytelling that are a hallmark of the franchise. It could even threaten to sprawl and become Tolkienesque :spergin:worldbuilding:spergin: that would utterly ruin the atmosphere and mood, for me at least.

I happen to love Tolkienesque worldbuilding. The Elder Scrolls series enthralls so much thanks to its fantastic worldbuilding. Now Thief doesn't need to take it to that extreme, but I'm certainly OK with future Thief games adding little bits to the world to explore.

Zuzie posted:

I suppose too many new factions would make the setting a bit too complicated. You play as a ordinary thief who only wants to pay the rent after all. I was also thinking of more kinds of hazardous enemies to avoid, supernatural or not.

That is the beauty of it. Much like a player can completely ignore the main quest in an Elder Scrolls game and go gallivanting off in search of adventure, Garrett doesn't care about anything but stealing some coin. Who he is stealing from is of marginal concern, so, if the player doesn't want to be weighted down by which particular nobleman who is currently burglarizing, he/she doesn't have to be.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 15, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I have largely swallowed much of my irrational fear of spiders. Now a spider will live if I encounter it in any place beyond my house. If in my house and I encounter a spider, its life depends entirely on how much of a nuisance its presence is. For instance,a spider crawling on the wall across the room? No big deal. A spider in the corner? No big deal. If I open my door and the spider in the corner is dangling in front of me on his little spider rope? Well, he has crossed forbidden territory.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

TomViolence posted:

Adding more factions I think would dilute the prominence each faction has in the story. Take the pagans vs hammers conflict. On the one hand there's anthropocentric, modernising monotheists, and they're set against pantheistic heathens who revere nature. Far more than just extraneous fluff, these two factions play a central role in much of the Thief storyline, with the trickster driving the plot of the first game and a heretical sect of the hammers doing so in the second. The city watch and the keepers play their roles too, enforcing their own interpretations of order while this war of ideas rages on. There may be wizards, we know there are other thieves and even thieves' guilds operating in the city, but Thief's setting is murky and ambiguous, with even the city's name left to the imagination. Unless relevant to the overarching plot or a particular mission's subplot, establishing a new player in the city would jar somewhat with the very sparing but meticulously designed setting and storytelling that are a hallmark of the franchise. It could even threaten to sprawl and become Tolkienesque :spergin:worldbuilding:spergin: that would utterly ruin the atmosphere and mood, for me at least.

Garret doesn't know or care if there's a candlemaker's guild or a wizard's college operating in the city unless the former have invented a new, unsnuffable candle or somebody's commissioned him to steal the philosopher's stone from Hogwarts.

If you count the new missions in Thief Gold as canon, there are wizards, there's a mission where you steal an artifact from a literal wizard's tower.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mikl posted:

If you count the new missions in Thief Gold as canon, there are wizards, there's a mission where you steal an artifact from a literal wizard's tower.

There's a necromancer tor you can optionally break-in, in a "thieves' highway" mission in Thief 2 as well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I have largely swallowed much of my irrational fear of spiders. Now a spider will live if I encounter it in any place beyond my house. If in my house and I encounter a spider, its life depends entirely on how much of a nuisance its presence is. For instance,a spider crawling on the wall across the room? No big deal. A spider in the corner? No big deal. If I open my door and the spider in the corner is dangling in front of me on his little spider rope? Well, he has crossed forbidden territory.

That is a breach of the buddy contract, so you should feel obliged to set an example of him anyway.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

There's a similar thing with snakes too, who can be really loving dangerous in some areas too, especially when they're hard to spot.

Snakes are feared by enough animals that cats, when they want to scare things, supposedly imitate snakes (the 'hissing' cats do)
So, that one seems to be agreed on by mammals in general.
Spiders get stomped on by kittens, snakes get to clear rooms by hissing.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
While I have nothing against people with phobias, I find it kind of disagreeable when people have to specifically bring up their many occasions and regular practice of killing spiders they meet. I myself don't particularly like dogs, and the feeling gains in magnitude when I find dogs in the vicinity of my cat. It's not a phobia, but it could be, I've been frightened by dogs as a child. So when in a thread someone for example posted a picture of a dog and a cat lying side by side, I could post, "That's making my kicking foot twitch". The likely responses would be "You sick gently caress" or "Nice trolling". And even if I explained my fear of dogs, my violent intentions towards puppies would hardly get much sympathy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

supermikhail posted:

While I have nothing against people with phobias, I find it kind of disagreeable when people have to specifically bring up their many occasions and regular practice of killing spiders they meet. I myself don't particularly like dogs, and the feeling gains in magnitude when I find dogs in the vicinity of my cat. It's not a phobia, but it could be, I've been frightened by dogs as a child. So when in a thread someone for example posted a picture of a dog and a cat lying side by side, I could post, "That's making my kicking foot twitch". The likely responses would be "You sick gently caress" or "Nice trolling". And even if I explained my fear of dogs, my violent intentions towards puppies would hardly get much sympathy.

Yeah, no. The spider has never been, and never shall be, mans faithful companion. Wanting to kick a dog that's just hanging out buddy style with a cat is ridiculous, and you deserve that reaction.

I don't like spiders, but as others have stated I have a live and let live policy with the things. Unless, as above, they violate the buddy contract.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Forgive me derailing the arachnochat... I just got a chance to watch thru the Dark Mod video, and the difference between the two games is actively shocking.

The Dark Mod mission was actually tense, with a coherent background, and everything seemed to make at least reasonable sense. It was clearly a stealth game, even though a fair chunk of the effort went into infiltration. It was also interesting and absorbing to watch.

The Thi4f video, on the other hand, was equal parts annoying and incredibly stupid, and seemed to have almost nothing to do with stealth. It seemed to mainly be a roof-running version of those odd Tokyo Drift films, but with protagonists that were somehow even less charming.

Actually, scratch that... It felt like a 30-minute quick-time event.

:psyduck:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Yeah, I guess it did need a clarification. I don't care much if you kill spiders in the privacy of your home (spiders obviously die all the time), but you don't have to flaunt it like a badge of honor. I was talking about mutual respect, and consideration that some people find killing a spider for any reason ridiculous.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm actually really curious about which TDM levels are of top notch quality. I gave it a go way back before it was standalone, and the Tears mission was a great intro, but the very next one I tried was complete crap.

I'd love to jump back in with a good vetted list of missions though.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Requiem, Heart of Lone Salvation, No Honor Among Thieves, WS2 Home Again.

That's an undead mission, a mansion mission, a sewers/cathedral mini campaign, and an outdoors mission a la Life of the Party. They have consistently appeared on everyone's top 5 missions when a poll was done over at the Dark Mod forum, and represent a variety that will give you a good cross section of what makes TDM shine.

Start with those, report back on how you felt about each and why, and I can recommend more based on your feedback. I can further tailor feedback if you could try and recall the mission you didn't like (or at least why you didn't like it!).

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 15, 2014

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

Forgive me derailing the arachnochat... I just got a chance to watch thru the Dark Mod video, and the difference between the two games is actively shocking.

The Dark Mod mission was actually tense, with a coherent background, and everything seemed to make at least reasonable sense. It was clearly a stealth game, even though a fair chunk of the effort went into infiltration. It was also interesting and absorbing to watch.

The Thi4f video, on the other hand, was equal parts annoying and incredibly stupid, and seemed to have almost nothing to do with stealth. It seemed to mainly be a roof-running version of those odd Tokyo Drift films, but with protagonists that were somehow even less charming.

Actually, scratch that... It felt like a 30-minute quick-time event.

:psyduck:

To be fair, what we've seen of Thief 2014 so far is all rail-roaded intro tutorialising stuff; it's not quite as bad as this all the time. It introduces new ways to be bad as it goes on, though.

Edit: Actually, while I'm here, Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation video on Thief 2014 was mentioned earlier I think, but there's a link to it. It's a good summary. Some minor spoilers there, but nothing that wasn't detailed in trailers for the game, or that you couldn't easily predict based on the tired tropes trotted out in said trailers or in what we've seen of the game so far.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 15, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Speaking of, what is Bobbins spoiler policy for this thread? Can't find anything in the OP besides the whole "no respect" thing, but i assume it's better to get into stupid plot points as/after they happen instead of frontloading that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
i cant believe i'm about to tell you to go read the subforum rules right now

so i won't.

• Locked thread