Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So these guys have mechanical cash registers, light switches, and printing presses, but their cards still carry swords and wear armor. Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

OAquinas posted:

That's been the setting since the beginning though. A bit odd to think about, but if you're going to put the world together with that kind of sorta-steampunk arrangement as a backdrop to Garrett's exploits then it's perfectly valid. Thief 2 even had autonomous robots with cannon arms, mind-control masks, and submarines.

Yeah but Karras's poo poo was all incredibly recent inventions for which the richest people in the city paid dearly, and were the results of a guy so ingenious that he was able to become the (somewhat controversial) new prophet of his religion. You really don't find anything like that in Theif 1 that I recall (or Thief 3 for that matter).

Fabricated posted:

The lights and various mechanical things are recent additions to the city in this setting via the Baron's "improvement" plans.

Okay so the Baron is making new poo poo for random rear end jewelers to use, but still has his soldiers, the guys who enforce his orders, walking around in metal suits swinging sharp bits of metal. How does that make sense?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I was pretty impressed with how good some of them got at it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Chapter guest-written by David Cage

I think the gloom is supposed to make people go crazy through hallucinations?

I think it just makes them so sad and depressed that they kill themselves. GRIMDARK

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SystemLogoff posted:

I love this game's issue with loading models.

It leads to the best screenshots.

A more accurate representation of the nature of the main character in this game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He'd be a lot more effective if they didn't write EVIL on his forehead and have him act like a retard.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Especially considering that Garrett insisted he doesn't rob graves back when he was talking to Basso. In Thi4f, the writing takes pains to show that Garrett has scruples, unlike those he's up against. In the old trilogy, all they did was show that Garrett was still a human being and then pitted him against villains who...really weren't.

It's a ridiculous moral stance anyway. Robbing the dead is about as close to a victimless crime as you can get when it comes to stealing stuff. You don't have to worry that your stealing food from the mouths of babes when your swiping swanky poo poo out of a crypt.

No, what this is, it's a status thing. Robbing the dead is taboo for a number of reasons (like plague), and graverobbers tend to be the most desperate, lowest of the low kinda types you could find. Even criminals have hierarchy and social status see. You can bet your last dollar that Mister goes-it-alone, fancy tools having, I Live In A loving Clocktower Master Thief Garret doesn't want to be associated with the lower orders.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Plus it's not actually that extreme. I mean, yeah, you gotta have a steady hand to make sure the drill bit doesn't go in too far, but once it's over you fold the skin back and get on with life as usual, just with a weak spot somewhere on the top of your skull.

You're almost certain to catch a lethal infection in the brain because someone is sticking a tool in your head in a society that knows nothing about germ theory.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

You'd think, but people have been surviving trepanation for over 8000 years.

People have been surviving amputation for thousands of years too, but that doesn't mean a shitload of them didn't die from infection.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah maybe, crazier things happen all the time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think the senior banker being dead is a reference to the Thief 2 bank robbery level as well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Garret's face is known to the whole city because he's such a ~master thief~. Guards try to murder him on site no matter what he's doing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

HnK416 posted:

I'm not appalled, I just think it's kind of dumb to build a game around being a badass assassin man and then go "lawl nope you're totally evil for doing that, here's a fail state". If they would have taken out the moral choice stuff, kept the game at a low/middle chaos (hell even high chaos would be doable if explained right) I wouldn't have a single drat problem with the game. Would have probably enjoyed it even more!

Hmm...It's almost as if your powers were granted to you by a tempting Satan figure, and the gameplay reflects that theme!

Seriously though to be non-sarcastic for a moment, a low chaos run playing the way it does and your powers and tools being structured the way they are is totally intentional and is a feature, not a flaw.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm starting to think the devs don't have the first clue about how opiates affect people, and just have it in there because Edgy Steampunk(?) Grimdark!

The aesthetic really is all over the loving place.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CommissarMega posted:

Dammit, now I want to know! :argh: Isn't there some way to analyze it?

...what is the bucket made of?

Yeah! It can only be so many things, between what it does and doesn't dissolve, right?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just because they run the chemistry department doesn't mean they are incapable of making bad, shortsighted decisions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cartheon I sympathize with your "These all sound way too stupid and dangerous to be true" point of view, but for just a moment I would like you to reconsider in light of pretty much every endeavor in human history ever.

Never ever underestimate people's capacity to make dangerous, stupid decisions both singly and as a group.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also lol at the implication that Original Garret and his new keepers didn't last even 400 years.

Also lol at the idea of something being outlawed meaning it isn't around anymore, especially in a game called Thief.

Yes I'm sure the armor wearing giant hammer wielding fanatics totally gave up and stopped worshiping their God. And the Pagans just shrugged their shoulders and gave up because "We bes double super illegal now you guys"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This whole game's approach to previous titles in its franchise is very much a case of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Please don't tell me that I jokingly guessed the plot :cripes:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My guess: The android stuff is an old plot that they developed a bunch of assets for and were too lazy to/ didn't have enough time to replace

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
More importantly, why won't the fucker sell the poo poo that actually looks like it might be worth a drat so he doesn't have to subsist on what he gets for desk bells and ink wells?

I mean I could understand waiting until you have the full set so you can sell it for more, but just keeping it? gently caress you NuGarret.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My guess? Money. Or the lack thereof.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What was the deal with the pouch on the servant's belt? It kept getting highlighted.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Did the game make the New Objective! sound when you played the second record Bobbin?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I gotta say that desk model with all the cabinets and hidden switch is really nice. Whoever made that should be pretty proud of it. Wouldn't mind having a desk like that in real life.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What was up with the super intense music at the end there?

One of those floor symbols was very close to the alchemical symbol for bismuth.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
also sewer burricks.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man that level is huge. And he wanted to make it part of the same level as the Watch Station? Crazy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Prop Wash posted:

Lt Benson must be pretty dumb if he can't hear the secret elevator literally on the other side of the wall of his office.

The Warden paid for really good soundproofing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That expert loot requirement isn't very strict, is it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sotha needs to get himself an editor.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Remember: Garret doesn't get totally sweet kill cams.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hate when stories have their better characters sacrifice themselves for the douchebag protagonist just so they can get some cheap drama.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's quite a few horror stories out there about what happens to games when the marketing department holds more power than the actual developers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So I assume you're making the book about accountants now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
yep, that was about the dry fart of an ending I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey guys, what's Garret's favorite candy?

A:Taffy

• Locked thread