Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yes. Man I am so excited to see this thread. I have so many feelings about this game.

I've spewed out plenty of words about the mechanics of this game and the gameplay over at the theif thread but, since we havent really gotten into the game proper, and the prologue serves mainly to set up the story, lets talk about how poo poo the game's story is.

I mean Jesus... Clearly we as the player are supposed to feel something about Erins demise at the end of hte prologue, yet every single thing, every single interaction with her establishes her as immensely unlikeable. I mean that dropping the note as garret is reaching for it thing in the intro. Thats always been used as shorthand for "hate this hcaracter". Why would the writers invoke it for a character we are supposed to like. The sheer incompetence of the story just astounds me at every turn.

I've watched a lot of videos of the story guy behind this game, Stephen Gallagher, talking about his thought process and ill try to dig them up. Because wow, that guy is a moron.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Watching the video, I have to ask... why have all these disguised loading screens and actual loading screens. Like if you are going to disguise them, why not disguise all of them and if you are ok with having actual loading screens why bother disguising some of them?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I've beaten this game twice.

Yeah, I know, I'm a masochist. When we get to the parts I think were worthwhile I'll be sure to chime in.

But again, going back to how poo poo the story is, here are some interviews from Stephen Gallagher, the guy in charge of this game's story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m6obRF_4mI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hekoRKPhJXo

E: ugh I'm trying to find this video I know I saw a while back. The link I have for it is now broken (the account was shut down). In the video, Gallagher and the concept artist behind the game talk about among other things, using Batman as a reference point, and more importantly, Gallagher discusses his creative process. I have the relevant quote, but the interview itself was kind of fascinating, if only in a "how not to write a story" sort of way.

quote:

When you have a character as complex as Garrett, finding a position to put him in and seeing how he reacts.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 11, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah I think this game has redeemabe parts too but I was going to wait until we see them in a video before i talked about them.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Xander77 posted:

It may be that I don't really care about the game series as a whole, but everyone who put a lot of effort into conveying how terrible a sequel this is (Bobbin aside) are really, really poo poo at it.
"Here are some links and quotes to prove how terrible this game is. How do they do that? It's up to you to find out".

Wow dude, gently caress off. I never said thats what they prove. I said that his approach to writing a story is kind of silly, and even if you don't agree the interviews are interesting in and of themselves.

I said I liked some parts of the game, several times. I'm a little defensive because I spent too much time DEFENDING this game in the Thief thread for some moron with poor reading comprehension to try and paint me as the one blindly hating this game. I might care too much but I don't hate it.

E: Also, I noticed that the other guy you tried to "call out" said he really liked the first 3/4s of the game, and just posted that gif for its comedy value.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 12, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Bobbin I love you please never stop being you.

Excellent choice for starting mission for the Dark Mod too.

I do have some suggestions vis a vis your mission list.

First, I'd highly, highly recommend dropping The Transaction. It's... just a bad mission. I mean there's an unavoidable boss fight. I understand from a story standpoint what the author was trying to do, but it ends up being kind of tedious and rather poor at showcasing the Darkmods strengths. Also, subordinating game-play for story was kind of what screwed up Thi4f, was it not? I feel kind of weird un-recommending it because on the whole, the Thomas Porter series is very very strong, and the Phrase Book is my second favorite fan mission thus far released.

As for a replacement for that mission, Prenton above recommended some outdoors missions but if you are open to any suggestion, I highly, highly recommend Heart of Lone Salvation. It is my first-favorite fan mission thus far released. It's a huge, detailed Mansion level with a fairly in depth storyline that is entirely conveyed passively and very intuitive puzzles. It's also chock full of Theif 2 style secrets.

Brainamp posted:

Nah, it's been roughly complete for a while. It only recently took the step up from being a mod. Looking forward to seeing the missions. Never got far myself cause the lockpicking just plain stumped me for some reason.

Heads up: this may not have been a feature when you tried out the mod, but you can now independently adjust each element of the difficulty. As in, you can now set the lockpicking minigame to easy (or even automatic) and set the enemy AI to medium or hard, and adjust the amount of objectives independently of either of those.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 14, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Zuzie posted:

That said, I also wonder if these mods added brand new elements that weren't present in Thief 1 and 2, such as new factions to steal from, or other things.

There's an engineer's guild, but I guess you could say that they are functionally the same as Mechanists (albeit entirely secular).

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
More of my unsolicited opinions: you all are babies vis a vis the spiders. Mages are canon in Thief: The Mage Towers mission in Theif Gold is really good but doesn't make up for the abomidnation that is the Theives Guild.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Requiem, Heart of Lone Salvation, No Honor Among Thieves, WS2 Home Again.

That's an undead mission, a mansion mission, a sewers/cathedral mini campaign, and an outdoors mission a la Life of the Party. They have consistently appeared on everyone's top 5 missions when a poll was done over at the Dark Mod forum, and represent a variety that will give you a good cross section of what makes TDM shine.

Start with those, report back on how you felt about each and why, and I can recommend more based on your feedback. I can further tailor feedback if you could try and recall the mission you didn't like (or at least why you didn't like it!).

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 15, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
While we are posting video essays, I love this one from Errant Signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIhEtXPGzgs

(PS: the follow-up he makes on THI4F (which is SPOILER HEAVY) is really good: I found it to be a much more level-headed take on the games design goals and successes and failures in execution.)

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 16, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Niggling complaing #138982 about Thi4f: how unlikeable the guards are.

Personally I think it was pretty key to the first 3 Theif games that the guards were actually sort of likeable, despite the fact that they'd kill you as soon as they saw you. Drunk Benny at Truart's estate :3.

It made not killing them more satisfying too.

In Thi4f I wanted to kill everyone. My second playthrough of this game I actually reduced the difficulty so that it would allow me to murder civilians. It felt real good to put an arrow in the throat of every fool babbling about this Orion idiot. This was probably not the emotional response the writers were seeking to evoke, but its the one they got from me and many others. What I'm saying is that the writers are poo poo. See also, Erin dying. I sure do feel things about that! It's satisfaction.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 17, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

anilEhilated posted:

Devoted, too. I don't think I'll ever forget LADY VAN VERNON'S SHOUTY GUARDSMAN.

To this day in real life, I will call people a camel-mannered tunic-wearing mollycoddle.

More Thi4f thoughts:

I will defend the lockpicking minigame. It's especially nice if you turn off the UI and use an controller to rely entirely on feel. As far as lockpicking minigames go, I think Thief 3 had the best iteration, and thi4f's is basically teh same except without a visible indicator (in Thief3, the lock had a handle that would jiggle as you got close to the right position. The fact that failure could wake sleeping guards is pretty cool too IMO, but I thnk that feature was poorly used by the level designers, especially in conjunction with the poor sound design. Making lockpicking more tense was a good idea but the terribad sound design made the guard's hearing seem inconsistent. A click would alert a sleeping guard knocking out a dude right by that guard would not? As I sperg about Thi4f, you'll find this to be a common theme in my criticisms: cool gameplay feature misused/underused by the designers. The level designers, like the writers, were poo poo.

I'll also defend the idea of collectibles: unique items of loot with a little backstory blurb. It's a great way to convey some world-info without shoving it down your throat in a cutscene. See also, item descriptions in Dark Souls. However, I agree that Garrett keeping them is incredibly dumb and out of character. Here's an idea, maybe there's an NPC who would wants the full set, and will pay progressively more for every peice you turn in to him? Again, cool gameplay feature misused/underused by the designers.

The looting animations are sloppy. Notice how the coins that Garrett grabs from the safe seem to be glued together?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 18, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

The Protagonist posted:

Thanks for this! So far I've tried out everything except the No Honor mission which I couldn't find among the main darkmod fm downloads page. Is there another good source?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15212-no-honor-among-thieves-20/page__st__75

Unfortunately it seems that there was a show-stopping bug with this mission when run in TDM2.02 and people will have to wait until 2.03 to do so if you haven't already.

It can be downloaded here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142554
but you would have to roll back your install of TDM to version 2.00 to garantee that it would work.

Bobbin, you should probably take note of this before you try to make a video.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 18, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
The QTE part doesn't happen until their health is low and you have to deliver the knockout blow. It's pretty much just normal videogame combat until then, an attack button and a dodge button.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
To be fair the Thief franchise isn't really about puzzles. It's about exploratin, which Thi4f is also bad at. But really, the game has plenty of flaws lets not invent any more.

Also loving lol at the CoD comment.

E: Upon further reflection, I think the real change in design philosophy isn't so much that a dumber audience is being targeted, as much as we'd all like to jerk ourselves off for being smart. I bet half of you, on your first playthrough of Thief 2 missed a whole bunch of poo poo.

THe difference is that in the past, missing stuff used to be ok. My personal theory is taht this is a consequence of how much more expensive games are to make these days, or maybe its just designer hubris, but generally these days, the idea is that all players should easy be able to experience all the content that the dev team devoted any resources to. (For example, what was the last FPS you played that had a secret level?)

So yeah, in the end, I agree that this puzzle would have been harder if it were in a Looking Glass designed level. But it's not because gamers back then were smarter. It's because Looking Glass would have been OK with a majority of players missing that peice of loot. Am I making any sense?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 19, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Bobbin, you mention having some of the DLC. Do you have the bank mission?

It's probably the best mission in the game, its good enough that I'm angry that the entire game wasn't like it.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I, um, pointed out the bank mission when I showed off the Stonemarket map. So yes, yes I have it.

Sorry, must have missed it when you did so.

Hymirvetr posted:

I couldn't tell from the videos, but is the sound engine and directional sound still as broken as it was at the games release?

The egregious parts have been fixed.

The mixing problems (background banter/music overwhelming dialogue, guards sounding just as loud from the next room as they do right next to you, etc.) have been fixed, but the positional audio (ie the sound propagation), to my knowlege, has not been. It may be a limitation of the engine.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 25, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I agree for the most part on the adjustable difficulty however, the one huge thing I wanted to do but could not was adjust the knock out conditions independent of the AI sensitivity. I wanted to play with the most alert AI. But I also wanted the freedom to murder the crap out of civiliansprattling on about Orion and his nonsensical populist revolution. I swear that game made me more conservative. :/

Also you have a sword in Dark Mod.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Well, the reason stuff like this hasn't been implemented is pretty simple: it would be really complicated to implement. What your describing would take heavy, complicated scripting that would likely break pretty often, as well as custom audio barks, etc.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Prenton posted:

Regarding your death: you're seemingly more vulnerable from behind, as according to a loading tip "Don't turn your back to the guards, they'll run you through!"

How this mechanic squares with the earlier loading tip I read of "Remember - you're a thief, running away is always an option!" or somesuch, I don't know. Perhaps I'm meant to power-moonwalk my way to safely in an emergency.

Well since flashbombs don't enable a knockout anymore, I guess they did this to justify their price?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Ah In the North.

Grayman is a good mapper. I found his maps really intuitive. Like your map doesn't show where in the cellars the tunnel lets out, but the first thing you see when you exit is that anatomy diagram, cluing you in that you are in the infirmary. There are a lot of little things in the map that show that a lot of thought was put in to them.

Also, w/r/t to the guards: if I recall correctly, full cage over the face = can't be blackjacked. Helmet = can only be blackjacked from behind. So the REAL question 20 minutes in is why the hell is that guy wearing a helmet in bed?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 5, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
BTW: the gas trap can be disabled, there's a switch on the side of the counter the necklace is on.

I'm going to have to defend the bank heist level. It was possibly the best level in the game, and hands down better than any of the story missions. If the entire game had been like this (discrete locations to rob which are designed like actual areas rather than as linear videogame levels, with a few readables and puzzles thrown in for good measure) I feel I would have been able to call thi4f a good game in good conscience.

I've said it before and I'll stick buy it. I think Thi4f's mechanics are good and it was just let down by poorly though out level design.

E:

me from ~7 months ago posted:

In Thi4f news, I had a chance to play the Bank DLC and now I'm actually kind of mad the main campaign didn't have stuff like this except bigger. They knew how to make a Thief level! They knew!

So like, because there were no loading screens until you got to the vault, we know that the Thi4f engine can at least render an area the size of the first two floors of that bank (and the surrounding areas) at the same time.

Knowing that and without touching a single low level mechanic (which I still say are quite good), I can mentally design a p good Thi4f level:

Then just stack two more floors on top of the existing two. Have the doors to the stairs up, the openable 4th story window (with a rope arrow point just outside, but one right above a guard and a dog), and entrance to the ventilation shaft connecting the 2nd and 3rd floors trigger load screens.

(As an aside, if those stupid jimmy window/crawl through narrow passages with identical beams always leaning left sequences are to mask loading times, why are there still real loading screens? I promise you, I can watch a progress bar.)

On the 3rd floor have a series of offices. To give the player a reason to come up here instead of heading straight for the vault, lets say the lock boxes in the vault requires 2 keys: the clients and the bank presidents. Each account manager has a copy of the client key, (or their most recent client if its implausible that each account manager only has one client). Maybe one manager has the key in a vault in his office, another manager has a note to the bank secretary that he lost the key while taking a walk outside (the DLC bank had a nicely rendered bank exterior and you were there all of 10 seconds), and another bank manager suspects the guards are rifling through his stuff so he's keeps his key hidden somewhere in the bank. Also there are guards and those security cameras all along these hallways. (Also why do those security cameras never appear in the main campaign? Maybe because nuGarrett never breaks into anywhere that would warrant such security, which is depressing in and of itself.)

The president's office and his secretary's office are up on the 4th floor. The president's key is heavily trapped, and there's a stationary guard in the hallway (it always bothered me that there are these good, viable distraction mechanics in the game, but the way the patrols in the main campaign are set up, its almost never a good idea to use them). The key itself is hidden behind one of those painting switches, which again I maintain were cool.

The secretary's office would have that maintenance note about the vault that was previously inexplicably located in a broom closet.

If we have to attach this to the main story somehow (ugh) just put a MacGuffin in one of those the lockboxes. This DLC was touted as a homage to TMA's bank level, so that would have been appropriate.

But the point of this thought experiment is to again demontrate my point that I feel all the low level mechanics are solid, and if we only had bigger, and better thought out places to use those mechanics this would have been a very good game. I think the hardest of the hard core thief fans (like the ones who still hate Deadly Shadows) still wouldn't have been happy, but I think had the levels designed as they had above, it would have been both a good Thief game and would have been more successful with the mainstream audience SE is courting. I mean doesn't the fact that the heist movie genre is a thing mean there's a market for this sort of thing?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 8, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Carlyle is a reference to the Thief 2 Mission, Life of the Party, in case anyone was wondering why the name sounded vaguely familiar. In the mission, you used a sunburst device to blow up his vault to get some weapons you dont really need if you're good at the game.

E: Also duck is fantastic, what are you people talking about.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 15, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Erin is possibly the worst written character I have ever come across in any form of media.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Well speaking of bad writing/characterization, I have plenty to say about Orion and his followers, but we need to see a bit more of them before everything I have to say is relevant.

But for now think this over: what exactly is Orion's cause? What exactly is the Baron doing that he opposes? We haven't seen enough of Orion or his followers to do anything but guess at this point, but try and keep it in the back of your mind every time Orion and his followers get screen time.

E: Dishonored chat: i gotta say I am 100% with HnK416, though I'd change the proposed solution a bit. Instead of having no bad ending, I would change the setup such that there is no good ending. The existence of the good ending, I think, is a cop out.

Would you still restrain yourself if everything turns to poo poo anyways? That would be way more interesting.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 16, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
^^I'd argue the the first half of Chapter 6 is good as well. Also I'm going to defend the first half of the brothel level when we get to it, that is to say, the part of hte level where you are actually stealing stuff.

Night10194 posted:

It doesn't actually earn anything it tries to run as a story point, does it? If you're going to make Garret guilty about Erin or whatever you might actually show some prior relationship to establish it, let her hang around a little, and show them being comfortable around one another instead of bickering and yelling and stealing from each other, goddamnit.

This is probably the most succinct explanation of the problem with the game's "storytelling" I've seen so far. But yeah, Erin's introduction is full of characterization shorthands that traditionally indicate that you shoud dislike a character (oops i dropped the thing i was handing you :80shighschoolbully:), and then the game turns around tries to run a character arc for garrett that relies on liking Erin to be at all effective...

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
The first half of this level (after the scripted follow the fop nonsense) is among my favorite sections of this game. No wait come back...
Let’s forget the boobs for a second shall we? I think the House of Blossoms is one of the most visually appealing areas in the entire game, for the simple fact that its… not grey and blue like the rest of the game. But more than that, it’s really the most lavish environment we’ve been in so far, bank vault included. I think the red velvets and the flowers and the mahogany all look really, really nice.

Second, several people have mentioned before that this game’s greatest sin compared to previous games is really its abysmal level design. The levels are obviously designed as levels and not as places, where the earlier Thief games, especially Thief 2, designed their levels to feel like places. In previous Thief games, the kitchen is next to the dining room because it makes sense and not because the level designers wanted a visual setpiece to come after the dining room. The expensive plates were in the dining room because that’s where you’d find them, and not because the level designer wanted the gamer to find a collectible there. This I think is what Thief 4 loses that makes it feel so artificial for the most part… apart from brief moments like the House of Blossoms.

The brothel feels like a real place, its not designed like a linear level, but rather a place that people would move around in. It at least attempts to appear as a functional space (until you notice there’s no bathroom) and for a moment the blatant artificiality fades away. Everything you find in this level makes sense, the hairbrushes, the coin purses, the vases even.
Come to think of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the loot assets were created with this level in mind and they never got around to other ones that’d be more appropriate for the rest of the game’s environment.

Lastly, we’ve talked about how the feeling that you are intruding is sort of key to the Thief feel. It’s a key aspect of the sound design, the writing (dramatic irony when the author of the note thinks its private). Here we have a missed opportunity. In more competent hands this level could have really played up the fact that you were intruding, and seeing the clients of this brothel at their most (psychologically) naked. Instead we get some boobs. Cool I guess.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

You know, I agree with you that the brothel is a nice change of pace in terms of level design, but I have to take points away because the sound work for this level is especially abysmal. When I was on that partition and accidentally kicked a vase, the crash was muted because I was standing too close to the far edge. The far edge of a foot-wide stone wall, mind you. Then there's the TTG sounding like he's talking to Madam Xiao-Xiao through a closed door instead of face-to-face, and when I was in the madam's office everything I did to the wall with the safe on it sounded like it was on the far side of the wall instead of immediately in front of me. I've mentioned before that the sound design is sloppy at best in Thi4f, but the brothel is the first place that really shows off the kinds of shortcuts the developers used.

Stephane Roy, Thief's Producer posted:

The environments don’t seem overly large, so why are there so many loading screens in a game?

The richness of the art and audio, which support this story-driven game, contributed to the streaming needs. Audio is super important in a game like Thief, and we wanted to provide strong ambiance and an immersive experience for the players. The environments are not overly large, but most loaded sections are a playground of over 100 meters by 100 meters without any loading, where you can experience a seamless gameplay. Part of this justification also goes with the production's desires of placing the player in a very rich, but also distinct environment in term of assets and textures. Thief is a game of light and shadow, cat and mouse gameplay – to ensure that we were having the higher definition in term of shadows, we used pre-processed data (baked lightmaps) that were unique from one area to the other.

The creative team on the project wanted to change a lot of these numbers to enhance the experience, so our technical team needed to come up with dedicated streaming zones to handle the swap from one area to another, where they felt that it would also support the pacing of the gameplay experience. We needed to have these loading zones in there in order to create the rich, immersive environment you see in the game.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/04/07/afterwords-thief.aspx

Yeah it's a cheap shot against them but I had to.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Christmas is for babies, and people with loving families, both of whom sicken me.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Hey everybody remember when I had a huge effortpost saying that I liked the first half of the level?

None of that applies to the second half of the level (the entire underground section).

gently caress the second half of this level.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

I'm digging this up from page 4 because I've finally gotten around to practicing "The Transaction" and I have to say the unavoidable boss fight is fairly easy if you go and do the optional objective first. On the other hand, the folks in the release thread who said that a certain monster only has 1 hit point are drat liars, at least when you're playing on Expert in the current Dark Mod build. My only real problem at this point is that I'm missing around 500 loot and I'm pretty sure I've found all the secrets, including the bookseller's basement. I know guard belt pouches are worth 50 a pop, but that would still be a lot of guards I didn't rob...

Easy or not I'm against that sort of thing in a Thief game on principle :colbert:

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Well the problem with writing AI code for something like the Dark Mod is that you basically have to write one-sized-fits-all AI that will accomodate anything a mapper might make. And as a mapper, when the AI isn't behaving, you either change the map which might make it less visually appealing or make less sense or you decide that the cost of fixing the AI hiccup outweighs the benefits.

Also I'm a little late on this but: yeah it sucks that the lich queen doesn't have a custom model. But holy poo poo do you know how much work making a model is? :shepface: I can sympathize that someone might not want to put int he effort if the model would just be used once.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Everything Kai Tave said plus this:

I highly doubt the reason that Thief4 is mediocre was because everyone on the dev team envisioned the same mediocre game (or even the same great game that they fell short of in execution). Rather, it's pretty evident that there were at least 3 or 4 conflicting visions of a game pulling the dev team in different directions. It feels like the guy who designed the lockpicking minigame wasn't speaking with the map designer, who wasn't speaking to the dialogue writing, who wasn't speaking to the storyboard guy etc.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

WFGuy posted:

Speaking of things Thief 4 got wrong, I love that they didn't even bother to look up MIT's lockpicking guide over the course of about five minutes to figure out how the pins work. The upper half now magically magnetises to the top when it's been slid into place! Amazing!

Honestly, real lockpicking would translate very shittily into game mechanics. And the original two thief games just had you click and hold the mouse button. The lockpicking minigame is fine and distracting you from the bigger problem: there's never anything interesting on the other side.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Bioshock Infinite was shallow and it more or less completely removed the RPG elements from the franchise but if you didn't find joy in those electrorail segments you are dead inside, because in those moments it stopped worrying about trying to tell a story or whatever, and just focused and being fun.

Thi4f has no joy. There is no joy anywhere in the game.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Now that the graven dawn has been revealed, I feel like I should mention the reason my second playthrough was on easy was specifically so I could have free reign to headshot those fuckers and any civilian I overheard spouting that babble.

I heard a lot of crazy conspiracy theories in the months leading up to Thi4fs release but heres my personal one: I think the story of Thi4f is an attempt to brainwash people into being more conservative. Poor people are violent and stupid and don't know what they want. Eat the poor, re-elect Baron Northcrest GOP candidate 2015. :shepface:

Seriouspost: I'm of two minds regarding knock out limits in TDM missions. On the one hand, I love ghosting missions, and I can sympathize with map makers who put in the effort to do stuff like implement Random Interesting Object model AI to want players to experience that.

On the other hand, itseems really arbitrary to people who arent out to/don't enjoy missions.

(Also with all the waiting, ghosting is a lot more fun to play than it is to watch.)

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 6, 2015

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Gantolandon posted:

Every time a revolution is portrayed in the media, the underlying message I'd that they are not that different from the people they fight. It's considered edgy and mature, as opposed to childish and naive anti-authoritarianism. If you believe it cannot be more hamfisted than in Thiaf, look at Bioshock Infinite where the revolutionaries murder children and people wearing glasses.

Except here, if the Graven dawn were LESS different than the people they fight they'd actually be MORE sympathetic.
Literally, I raised this point in an earlier post but can anyone here articulate what exactly Orions cause is? What exactly are Baron and Co doing (besides maybe investing in alternative environmentally friendly energy)?

What I'm saying is that the writers for this game need to be taken out back and put down.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I know I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, but honestly, I don't think Thief 2's story was very good. There's like a reason for that though, I forget where its mentioned but for Thief 2 they basically designed the missions first, and strung them together with a story after the fact. And it really shows, its why, for example, everything between eavesdropping and life of the party feels like story filler, because Garret should already know exaclty what is going on. It's also why the relationship with Viktoria feels so poorly paced.

I feel liek moment to the moment, the dialogue and characters in TMA was great, but the actual plot left something to be desired.

(Also isn't Viktoria more or less naked for most of their interactions? Garret is the guy who onced broke someone out of prison because the sister ~might~ sleep with him.)

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
WS2:Home Again is top notch but I've always felt that the WS2:Home Again and WS3:Cleighmoor were way to similar to each other. I'm thinking back and my memories of WS2 and 3 have really blurred together.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Aaaaaah gently caress stephen gallagher what the gently caress is the point of that ship?

• Locked thread