Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Forgive me derailing the arachnochat... I just got a chance to watch thru the Dark Mod video, and the difference between the two games is actively shocking.

The Dark Mod mission was actually tense, with a coherent background, and everything seemed to make at least reasonable sense. It was clearly a stealth game, even though a fair chunk of the effort went into infiltration. It was also interesting and absorbing to watch.

The Thi4f video, on the other hand, was equal parts annoying and incredibly stupid, and seemed to have almost nothing to do with stealth. It seemed to mainly be a roof-running version of those odd Tokyo Drift films, but with protagonists that were somehow even less charming.

Actually, scratch that... It felt like a 30-minute quick-time event.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
How many damned letter openers does one couple need?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Atomikus posted:

Or it's not meant to be a puzzle but a comment on people having their passwords written down on pieces of paper by their computers.

The depressing thing is that it's probably the 20th iteration of the puzzle, having been watered down 19 previous times by the sales guy on the oversight committee.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

We just finished the next recording session and I have to say Thi4f is giving us a surprising number of opportunities to make Monty Python's Holy Grail jokes.

Shrubberies? Running away? Ludicrous bravado? Thi4f is certainly A Silly Place...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Black Forest Gateaux is pretty grimdark.

Mmm. Black Forest Gateux.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tehan posted:

He probably would have if he didn't compulsively collect anything more valuable than a silver goblet.

"Oh wow! Another letter opener worth at least a jack of ale! I'M MADE!"

Shei-kun posted:

I started marathoning the previous three Thief LPs Bobbin did. Which I finished doing about two hours ago. Now I'm starting this one and I'm wondering if maybe I should have NOT marathoned them to prevent crushing disappointment.

I'm saving them until after this is done, to wash the taste of failure from my mouth.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So. Much. Cutlery.

Thifourthf: What's Mine Is Forks. Ooh, and a nice little collection of brooches. For my belfry.

:shakes head:.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

"Paint me like one of your French blasphemous abominations against nature and sanity itself."

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :asoiaf:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Yes, that is in fact exactly what I meant. And now I need to rewatch Event Horizon.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

I suggest you watch Alien and In the Mouth of Madness instead. Same effect, better movies.

I've seen all three multiple times. But SpaceDoom has a soft spot in my heart.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Apparently, Orion wants to be Jeff Bridges as much as Basso wants to be Oliver Platt, and Garret wants to be Sarah Jessica Parker. It's a sad, sad thing.

(Duck: Just Say Yes!)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You forgot TTG as Daniel-Day Lewis.

I was trying to block him out of my mind. But yes. Definitely.
Erin so far is mostly reminding me of the Quebecois hacker from Watch_Underscore_Dogs. I'm not up on young female actresses, so I'm not sure who they've ripped off for her.

As for the guards, I can only assume that if you turn up at the City That Really, Really Isn't Dunwall (!Dunwall? Unwall?) Guard Interview without a basket of kittens to strangle, they dump you into the tar-pits.

EDIT:

Antistar01 posted:

It's true that Dishonoured is a good game that you should draw inspiration from - but you might also say that the original Thief games were good and that a new Thief game should draw inspiration from those. ;)

Which is exactly what Dishonoured did, I thought!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

It can work if the game (or whatever media) provides flashbacks and/or exposition to establish the character and the protagonist's relationship

... or, y'know, takes some time to actually establish a good rapport and relationship between the characters naturally, by having them, y'know, interact plausibly.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

quote:

"Who says no to free stuff?"

You mean apart from millions of iTunes users who howled in revulsion when that U2 album was forced into their collections?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hey, nothing says "non-lethal" more firmly than "sawtooth arrows".

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

CommissarMega posted:

Is it just me, or would Thiaf be better served if they let you play Erin instead of NuGarrett?

Misread NuGarret as McNugget.
New head-canon accepted.

Also: game would have been better if they'd let you play as a photoluminescent fungus. Better options are a very low bar to clear. Still, it's not quite as hateful as watchunderscoredogs.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It seemed to me that as soon as you entered the prison section, the devs just totally gave up on anything other than the enemies. Then at the end, they just shrugged and threw together some coke-addled nonsense their dealer spouted, and called it a chapter.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Keksen posted:

She really does. The difference of course being that the heart was pretty drat cool.

I loved the Heart. The voice acting was absolutely perfect, and it was a device of pure narrative, without no club-over-the-head exposition. Like the item descriptions in Dark Souls (only, obviously, less so). Erin, on the other hand, is just really, really boring and cliched.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TomViolence posted:

... then the writers would have to challenge themselves by continuing to write likeable characters!

*COUGH*. *SPLUTTER*. Likeable? Likeable? Th4ff?

EDIT: Oh, and it's keraunophilia, Bobbin. Or possibly astrapophilia, I suppose, but Zeus hurled keraunos, and if you're going to start Jonesing on lightning bolts, I reckon you'd probably prefer Zeus's sparkling love-bolts, if you know what I mean.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Bluemage142 posted:

...you know, it really says something when a character can have stiff posture and the most wooden acting I've ever seen in a game... and still be the most interesting character there.

Well, there's no denying that he's solidly three-dimensional.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Ah, Bobbin. You sounded so depressed when you said "Welcome back to Thi4f" that time. Don't worry. It's almost finished. Then you'll be free of the brain-melting stupidity.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

kalonZombie posted:

Not necessarily. We could always ask him to guest in Watch_Dogs again.

Oh, man. That isn't just cold, it's actively cruel. NuGarret may be a drooling cretin with less personality than the plank of wood his ancestor appeared to be, but at least he's not an actively hateful sociopath with little beady eyes and an "Iconic(tm)" cap.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

JamieTheD posted:

There's more, but that's the basic notes of why Everyone Is Stupid In The City.

Couldn't have put it better.

This type of emergent* fractal stupidity tends to occur when the company executives and marketers are more powerful, dedicated, and/or driven than the project leads. Everything becomes a game of back-and-forth, and because there are all those comparatively powerful people sticking their noses in and desperately wanting to feel creative, they're forever insisting on "little but important" changes that screw everything over completely. After a year of this, your project lead is so damned sick of it all that they stop even pretending to try, most of your coders and art people just long for it to be over, and your smart, interesting game becomes a cluster-gently caress of drooling morons.

* As opposed to inherent fractal stupidity, when your lead designer is a hopeless fuckwit.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Onmi posted:

The old story is "They only pay writers so much so we don't launch ourselves bodily across the room and murder people" ... they think, not only will it sell better, it will be better! ... I don't think there's any other field where someone comes up to you and tries to tell you how to do your job and does it with such earnest glee.

Yeah, exactly. The majority of people genuinely believe themselves to be creative thinkers, who could easily do "this sort of stuff" if only they got a chance. Most of them are very, very wrong.

I remember being commissioned to write a book about wizards. I went in to the publisher a couple of days after signing to see a the editor about something else, and on my way back out afterwards, the Editorial Director -- my editor's boss's boss -- stopped me and said, and I quote, "I hear you're writing the wizards book. I don't want to see any of your fantasy crap in there, OK? Stick to Star Wars and Harry Potter."
:psyduck:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

So...he wants a space opera about a kid who discovers that he's part of a secret group of wizards who protect the galaxy by waving their wands and chanting faux Latin?

He was trying to say "reference the absolutely most major franchises only." I later found out that he hadn't even told the editor -- who was kinda put out when I submitted a manuscript that included Obi-Wan, Darth Vader and Yoda, and not Pug, Raistlin, Elric or Harry Dresden. *sigh*. Needless to say, the book did not do particularly well.

And even if you do get into an unquestionable position all your works will start to stink because it turns out that major projects like films and video games are collaborative efforts for a good reason and some of your ideas really are that bad. There's just no way to win.

I don't entirely agree. Some people really do desperately need to be reined in -- Lucas and Spielberg leap to mind -- and there are others who can make amazing things happen precisely because they are kinda nuts. Hitchcock. Kubrick, perhaps, or Lynch. Or maybe Hideo Kojima.

But for most people, you win with direction from a small team of good creatives who share a broad base -- and who are shielded from executive interference.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was a real dry-retch of a game. Thanks for suffering through it, guys. I plan to make the most of RandomNinja's useful information by never, ever having anything to do with Thi4f again.

As for the next game, that talk of circles makes me assume that it's the C64 8-bit 'classic' DRUID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was great. Thanks, Bobbin.

• Locked thread