Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Do we know how this game did, financially? Are we in danger of this becoming a "new" SquareEnix franchise where they build on this specific Garrett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OAquinas posted:

I don't know how people can go outside in Australia. Chinchilla-sized spiders? :ohdear:

Because the spiders go inside.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Thief's spiders were still less horrible than the buzzing, slavering hellspawn from System Shock 2. :gonk:

That one Sim Unit :eng99:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

It was kind of grating how much time he spent using the thieves guild quest as an example of excessive level design. He brings up all legitimate criticisms for that particular mission but didn't seem at all aware it was cut content. Otherwise he's pretty spot on, other than the levels being 'too large.' Easily my favorite thing from thief was just how expansive and daunting it was.

Thanks for this! So far I've tried out everything except the No Honor mission which I couldn't find among the main darkmod fm downloads page. Is there another good source?

Heart of Lone Salvation went from a solid manor romp to something really special once I unlocked the creepy tiny hatch at the top of the spiral staircase. :cry:

Pretty sure he wasn't aware of it until after the video was posted. Which sums up the problem with these video essays: doing a follow-up/correction is a lot more costly than writing another blog post/article. I still like the guy obv but I'm getting less and less interested in video essays/opinionating.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 16, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Devoted, too. I don't think I'll ever forget LADY VAN VERNON'S SHOUTY GUARDSMAN.

edit: For those not in the know: Scurry off, or you'll acquire some unnecessary ventilation!

I have a funny story about that, the second time I played through the Metal Age, I wanted to get a close look at this little discussion, so I got as close as I could while staying in the shadows. I don't know if I got too close or if the AI bugged out, but the guards went through all their lines, and as they drew their bows, they all turned towards me and started firing. It was as if they were putting up a play to draw me out in the open.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

watching the videos in full screen helps a little.

On the topic of sound: I was surprised when I replayed system shock 2 last year that the ambient music of deck five is at least partially identical to the Thief 1-3 ambience.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Life of Brian is better than Holy Grail.

That is all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hey game designers, if you need to use a "important objects glow" viewmode, your art sucks. It's a bad crutch, so don't rely on it. Make your important objects contrast with the environment, not this bull.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I, um, pointed out the bank mission when I showed off the Stonemarket map. So yes, yes I have it.

Maybe? The sound engine isn't as bad as I've heard, but it still gets funky. Like in the Chapter 1 video all it takes for a guard conversation to go from perfect clarity to noticeably muffled is to move a little bit to one side so there's a crate in the way.

relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9DSBfHEW6k (one minute in)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

according to this topic, there is a part of the rightful property mission that's inside a bank, but apparently not the entire mission revolves around said bank.

There is also this one: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16702-fan-mission-la-banque-bienveillante-by-airship-ballet-20141122/

It has bank in the title so it fits the criteria; whether or not it's any good is unknown to me, but people in that thread seem very positive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The only thing I remember about Thief 3 is the increasingly stupid AI stuff in The City that got worse and worse over the course of the game as the enemy factions started fighting eachother. Someone would attack someone, hit someone else accidentally, they would run for a guard, and that would lead to a melee that results in like every NPC on the map lying dead in a pile while you just sit there in the dark watching.

you say that like it's a bad thing

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

So... the air is being constantly sprinkled with opium? Wouldn't that make everyone high as gently caress, including the prostitutes, the guards and the rare guests that just want sex without any drugs and rock&roll? Why would anyone do that, instead of just giving the guests pipes? How the hell no one overdosed yet?

you're putting way more thought into this than the devs did...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that book you stole had a cover that looks far too much like the mechanist symbol to be a coincidence. Also I can't help but notice similarities between the keeper compound in T3 and this level. Superficial similarities in how certain rooms have their layout but they do add up.

This game had too many cooks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You know, I remembered the word "beam" just after the recording session ended and I was going to make that joke the next time we encounter one. Oh well, guess y'all will just have advanced notice of that one.

That's what I thought the first time I played this mission, but I distinctly remember looking up and seeing the open window before I pulled the lever this time.

I don't understand you people. Clearly that guy's name is Woody.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kangra posted:

Garrett is just a fan of chin wraps.

The dread thief Garrett is here for your souls.

quote:

Oh no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens. I don't think i have the stomach for it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mikl posted:

Like you said in the video, royal acid is a mixture of two acids: nitric acid and hydrocloric acid. It's highly corrosive, but it's unable to dissolve glass.

Fortunately, chemistry has found a solution to that :science:

Hydrofluoric acid was discovered in the 1700s and is often discussed in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread since, besides being hideously corrosive, it's also hilariously toxic. I'll quote straight from the previously-mentioned PYF thread to provide with a nice video regarding this fun chemical:

Modern chemistry has created acid which are even more corrosive, like the aptly-named Magic Acid and his happy pal, fluoroantimonic acid. Read about them, chemistry is fun*! :)

*when it doesn't kill you in horrible ways

My brother works at a university in the department of solid state physics and he's told me a few horror stories relating to acids. One in particular: there is a blue bucket on the 2nd floor. It has been there since as long as anyone can remember. If you need something metal (also glass and some other materials) to be dissolved, you put it in the bucket and it will quickly eat it away. No-one knows what substance is in the bucket. It's been in the lab for so long (best estimate since the early 90s), and has had so much stuff dissolved into it, that it's become its own unique mixture, and whatever is in it works ludicrously quickly.

One of his stock jokes is that whatever problem you have, he's got a solution for it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Also the writing is generally terrible if I'm remembering this correctly.

yes. It really was ... not good. Basically, skip the cutscenes, read your mission objectives, try to have fun with the level.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, tutorial girl is a purity figure now? Come on game, is there not a byte of creativity in there?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

insanityv2 posted:

Seriouspost: I'm of two minds regarding knock out limits in TDM missions. On the one hand, I love ghosting missions, and I can sympathize with map makers who put in the effort to do stuff like implement Random Interesting Object model AI to want players to experience that.

On the other hand, itseems really arbitrary to people who arent out to/don't enjoy missions.

(Also with all the waiting, ghosting is a lot more fun to play than it is to watch.)

I feel that video games as a culture have forgotten a neat design that existed in early games: multiple difficulty options. My favorite to use as an example is System Shock 1, which had a difficulty modes for story, with higher difficulty giving you more sub-objectives and the highest difficulty introducing a timer, a difficulty for combat (which determined how many enemies, how often they respawned, how much health they had and how hard they hit you), one for lockpicking - opening crates and such and one for the cyberspace minigame. Translate to the thief setting, and you could have difficulty settings for your objectives, for enemies (how many and how tough) and for the player (starting equipment, health pool, and what you were allowed to kill/knock unconcious).

I don't actually know if the Thi4f settings accustom this design filosophy but given that the game design and writing make playing through it a frustrating mess I don't want to figure out either. I do hope that more games start thinking about this.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I feel the need to quote some Discworld about atheism, because any excuse to quote discworld is a good one:

quote:

"It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Karras was voiced by the same actor as garrett was. It's insane to think about given the dissimilarity.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

So basically Stephen Russel was all of Looking Glass's male characters. Every last one.

Technically, SysShock2 was an Irrational -Looking glass cooperation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HnK416 posted:

I think the only thing that I didn't like Stephen Russell in was Skyrim. It sounded like he was phoning a lot of it in. Which is a shame, since the Thieves Guild quest line in Skyrim was really nice.

I found a lot of the voice work in skyrim to be sloppy. Also, I think that Russell works better when given specific direction (your character is so and so, with trait x and y and z. No, can you be a little less x and a little more y?) than bethesda is used to. And Bethesda characters don't have more than one characteristic.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The galaxy is under orion's belt?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin, I have some cash to spare, could you throw me a link where I can buy your book?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I haven't seen the video yet but I mis-read that as "editor's 2nd job", which I found amusingly appropriate to Thi4f.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So, ignoring the page layout gimmick for a moment (incredible though it may be), is it a well-written

?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm sorry to have to do this to you guys, but it's finally happened: kalon, Random, and I have been unable to schedule a time when everyone's available in the past couple weeks and so I don't have a video ready for you today. On the bright side, tonight is actually looking good for getting a recording session going, and so I should have something for you tomorrow. Or if not tomorrow, then definitely Wednesday.

In the meantime, my Dark Mod videos are coming along just fine, so I'll make you this promise: to make up for being late with Thi4f, I'll release this week's DM video early alongside the Thi4f update on whichever day that ends up being ready. Cross your fingers that tonight doesn't fall through like last time and I wind up having to release them both on Thursday or something.

[looks at date]

Uh-uh.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Next lp you do bobbin, you should upload/release new updates on Fridays. That way your april fool's hijinks aren't so obvious :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

What if you're the fatass in the back?

Then you've got more padding.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah you don't put the fat person in the back; if the fat person is in the back then the entire sled goes nose over arse at the first available opportunity.

What's the physics involved?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That map seems tense as gently caress.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been using the thi4f videos as background noise while I play kerbal but i actively watch the dark mod vids.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was that the vasa?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Each video of Requiem will impress you more than the one previous. I'll leave it at that. I personally think the stuff implemented in the next section of the fm is a paradigm shift for the game, and should be included in any future stealth game that aspires to Thief-style gameplay. It's that good.

I'm intrigued.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sonic.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does the next game involve the circles of hell, by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wait, monday already? Jeesh, take a break already

• Locked thread