Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

RedMage129 posted:

I imagine everyone coming out of the woodwork and making threads about how not everything is truly absolute poo poo like apocalypse survivors crawling out of the wreckage of the last wave's vitriolic bombardment of all things. They squint against the harsh sunlight as they look across the poo poo post destroyed wasteland and whisper, "I actually kind of like ______."

Honestly the Internet's love of making everything out to be the worst thing ever just sort of wears thin after a while and people realize those things that are so unbelievably awful are at worse just kind of lousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Hipsterism has come full circle. Too many people are hating on popular stuff now so the new trend is to declare popular stuff as okay. "I kind of was okay with Olive Garden before it was cool."

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

west coast canada has something called "THE OLD SPAGHETTI FACTORY" and its the same kind of deal but and probably just as lovely

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

biznatchio posted:

Hipsterism has come full circle. Too many people are hating on popular stuff now so the new trend is to declare popular stuff as okay. "I kind of was okay with Olive Garden before it was cool."

That's how trends always work. Things gets popular, it gets too popular, it's unpopular, it's retro, repeat.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is shoney's still a restaurant?

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie
Any love for the Cheesecake Factory?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It's kind of hard to gently caress up pasta so I wouldn't say I ever really ate at a chain like sphaghetti factory or olive garden and found the food inedible, but it never really seems worth it either. You can pretty much just get the better brands of boxed pasta + seasoning and end up with a similar quality for a fraction of the price, or just cook it yourself because honestly it's not too hard to make a pasta sauce. Someone else itt said it's the kind of place you go when you're with a group of people and you have one or two that just refuse to eat at any place they haven't been to. I honestly don't know why these people exist but if you end up in a large enough group it's pretty much guaranteed someone will refuse anything more ambitious than denny's.

In my college town there was this pasta shop that had a mon-thurs special where you got a salad, a fountain drink, and a plate of pasta for 5 bucks and I went there a lot with my then girlfriend. If more pasta places just acknowledged that pasta is cheap poor people food and had deals like that I'd probably go to them but I haven't been to one in years.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I think the Olive Garden, Applebees, and all those places actually make good food. I like to eat what they make.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

TheRatboyGenius posted:

Yeah, I like it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Happy hour at applebees is honestly not bad if you have some friends with you, the beer's cheaper than almost any bar and splitting a couple half off appetizers in a group is nice. Only issue is the hours for that deal were really weird.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Xaris posted:

Bbecause salads are incredibly cheap, both ingredients and preparation, so you can make people 'fill up' on salads and such before they get their small poo poo portions while making them think they got an incredible value. plus it gives them sometime to eat since it takes a few seconds so they aren't sitting there angry about their food coming out RIGHT NOW.
you'd think by this logic that people would end up eating more human size portions and not end up so fat, but then they load everything up with fats and you eat like twice as many calories as you think

burritolingus posted:

The one thing I remember that Outback has/had that other places don't/didn't have was the blooming onion.
and now everyone has it, even a lovely local carnival. oops

though i have to admit i could eat that weakish horseradish sauce on almost anything, it's fatty as hell and just spicy enough to make you forget you're eating the equivalent of an entire cow sculpture made out of butter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TheRatboyGenius posted:

I mean, it's a lovely chain, but one of their big things is that they train their cooks like 5x as long as any other restaurant, due to their really enormous and diverse menu. I've never eaten there, but I can at least give them a cookie for that

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

thathonkey posted:

Is shoney's still a restaurant?
yes, there's one five minutes from me

i've only been there twice and both times were with my dad

it's a chill place i guess but cracker barrel down the freeway one exit is still better since they have a crazy racket going on that let them not raise prices in like a decade

i mean if you're looking for that fake-homey kind of food anyway

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i remember liking cracker barrel's food when i was a kid.

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie

Jonny 290 posted:

I mean, it's a lovely chain, but one of their big things is that they train their cooks like 5x as long as any other restaurant, due to their really enormous and diverse menu. I've never eaten there, but I can at least give them a cookie for that

Sometimes, I think all it has going for it is the atmosphere. But sometimes I feel like having Fish'n'Chips and it's nice to see that option on there menu.

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

thathonkey posted:

i remember liking cracker barrel's food when i was a kid.

I liked that place when I was a kid because it had a gift shop, now that I'm older I like it because it's good! I had thanksgiving there once. I was away from home and it was a good substitute.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they have like a reasonably fun triangular puzzle game on the tables or used to?

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

thathonkey posted:

they have like a reasonably fun triangular puzzle game on the tables or used to?

Yeah, and it was such a big hit that they made it available at the gift shop. They also added chess boards with large pieces by the fireplace. I played chess with an old lady who was also there on thanksgiving. It was really fun! Like everyone there was just one big family. On Thanksgiving they move the tables around so it's just one big table! jk about that last part.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
It is literally impossible to gently caress up Chicken Parmesan unless you are literally trying to poison someone.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't know why, but when I was in college, more than a few years ago, if you had a really serious date, you took her to The Olive Garden. As in, "They went to The Olive Garden?! It must be really serious! Did he propose?"

My dates were never Olive Garden quality, I stuck with Burger King mostly. I'm sure my difficulty in getting second dates was unrelated to that.

But I have to agree with the OP: Olive Garden is not real italian food, but it's passably tasty, affordable, and in some parts of the country it's the closest simulation you can get.

I'd say the same for Red Lobster, if you are somewhere that has problems getting fresh seafood otherwise.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 11, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Apthous posted:

It is literally impossible to gently caress up Chicken Parmesan unless you are literally trying to poison someone.

well... you can gently caress it up but it'll still taste good probably

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
i had hated most chain restaurants for years, like Boston Pizza where everything is soaked in grease and has an inch of cheese on it, or Red Lobster where they serve something that has no business being called lobster. but my girlfriend convinced me to try olive garden in calgary a couple years back and it's really, really good. i want to try it in a different city since it gets so much hate, it could be that the one in calgary just has a really good chef or something. there's always a line-up and everything i've tried there has been as good or better than many of the highly-rated italian places that i've been to in the city.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Ordering lobster at red lobster lol

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i like the chicken parmesan at red lobster. it's pretty good.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
My dad goes scuba diving and brings back lobsters should I throw red house paint on him when he gets back sometime to get the full Red Lobster experience?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Apthous posted:

WrOng it's way too salty

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

You're actually paying to not have to cook it yourself. That's how every restaurant works. You really think a hamburgers value at red robin is just slightly more than the cost of the materials to cook it? gently caress no. The entire restaurant industry is built off people paying to be lazy and not cook

even more so not having to clean up after.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Windows 98 posted:

You're actually paying to not have to cook it yourself. That's how every restaurant works. You really think a hamburgers value at red robin is just slightly more than the cost of the materials to cook it? gently caress no. The entire restaurant industry is built off people paying to be lazy and not cook
Yeah but starches are super cheap, with pasta you're paying 10 bucks for a dollar worth of food, with a burger or steak or whatever you're obviously paying more than making one at home but it's not quite as bad.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah but starches are super cheap, with pasta you're paying 10 bucks for a dollar worth of food, with a burger or steak or whatever you're obviously paying more than making one at home but it's not quite as bad.

i recommend you dont go out to eat ever if you base your comfort on ordering food on the restaurants profit margins

also good god, do not order a drink

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

i recommend you dont go out to eat ever if you base your comfort on ordering food on the restaurants profit margins

also good god, do not order a drink

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Every entree I've ever had at an Olive Garden tasted like an undercooked Lean Cuisine.

The only good thing they have is the alfredo sauce for dipping and that's because it's salt and fat, and that's hard to gently caress up.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

you can have too much salt

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

darkwing cuck posted:

using a sample size of me and my wife, people who can't afford to eat out, but whose family gave them their unwanted olive garden gift cards

sorry u can't eat out

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

jackyl posted:

sorry u can't eat out

yeah it sucks but yay being scrub tier middle class

e: also it's not like we can't eat out at all but some paydays have more bills than others and you have $0.30 in yr back accounts combined and it's two days till payday and you don't feel like cooking and you go hey don't we have am olive garden gift card?

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 12, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

but my girlfriend convinced me to try olive garden in calgary a couple years back and it's really, really good. i want to try it in a different city since it gets so much hate, it could be that the one in calgary just has a really good chef or something. there's always a line-up and everything i've tried there has been as good or better than many of the highly-rated italian places that i've been to in the city.

lol, you know you live in a wasteland of a city if you can get excited over olive garden.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

darkwing cuck posted:

e: also it's not like we can't eat out at all but some paydays have more bills than others and you have $0.30 in yr back accounts combined and it's two days till payday and you don't feel like cooking and you go hey don't we have am olive garden gift card?

i feel like if your bank accoutn regularly drops to under $10k or so you don't really count as middle class

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Mange Mite posted:

i feel like if your bank accoutn regularly drops to under $10k or so you don't really count as middle class

i dunno what to tell you man i barely make an adjusted for inflation living wage and also make the average us wage for an advanced degree

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

what if you have thousands of dollars in stocks and bonds?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

darkwing cuck posted:

Sorry bro but if you can't afford to eat out at will you are a poor.

Sucks you had to find out this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

darkwing cuck posted:

i dunno what to tell you man i barely make an adjusted for inflation living wage and also make the average us wage for an advanced degree

im not trying to mock you im just saying maybe nowadays you can be workign class even if you went to grad school

• Locked thread