Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
lmbo @ white people talking aboyt "authentic pasta" itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Neptr posted:

lmbo @ white people talking aboyt "authentic pasta" itt

white people invented pasta :mrgw:

it's prolly the only thing they can speak to authencity on

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the Japanese are the biggest copycats in history

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's better than most other big chain restaurants for sure

Still definitely has that vibe of "this is frozen food that comes on trucks" tho

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
sums up olive garden in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxnAR8Vs0I

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

from the pasta we make to the lasagne we bake b-b-b-b we're wishing you a happy birthday

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

from the pasta we make to the lasagne we bake b-b-b-b we're wishing you a happy birthday

Please tell me that's not something they actually do.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lets be honest: cheesecake factory is the real villain here

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Italion food isn't worth paying money for.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

God drat, what a schmuck

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I agree with this for pasta because its so cheap to make and they charge quite a bit in relation to this

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Honestly I love Chipotle and would eat it every day if I could. So I really have no room to say you can't enjoy your fake Italian food if I already enjoy my fake Mexican food. When you go to Olive Garden you already know what to expect. And if you go there expecting a 5 star Italian restaurant and then walk out and complain you're a loving idiot. No one complains about McDonalds being lovely fake burgers because they already expect that. I just don't see why Olive Garden doesn't get the same curtisy. If you don't like it don't loving eat there it's that simple.

That being said I am a fan of their chicken Alfredo

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Normally i'd agree. But there's a place by me that makes their own fresh pasta (not crap from a box) and does pizza in a wood burning oven with real water buffalo mozzarrella. They also have some good specials. It's worth paying for.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
olive garden blows and is super expensive for what it is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lufiron posted:

sums up olive garden in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxnAR8Vs0I

This is the first John Oliver clip I've seen...people really call it an edgier Daily Show?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We are talking about the place that just learned to put salt in their pasta water this year right? I mean how long has the place been open? Pasta 101 bitches.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i actually really liked old spaghetti factory as a kid. i like the stone tile decor, carter the great, the tram, victorian-era seating/lamps/etc. i thought it was cool. also the garlic butter, fresh bread, the spumoni ice cream at the end, and mizithra pasta was pretty good. maybe thats just nostalgia since i havent been there for prolly 14 years now

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pastamania was a viable business owned & operated by a fool.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

This is the first John Oliver clip I've seen...people really call it an edgier Daily Show?

i wouldnt call it edgier.. a weekly daily show with curse words would be a more apt description

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also more funny politics things that aren't always American

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Lufiron posted:

i wouldnt call it edgier.. a weekly daily show with curse words would be a more apt description

I am a long time fan of The Daily Show. Saw it live in studio, and have seen nearly every episode for years and years. I still think John Oliver is better. Only because it's not always "hot topics" and there is a certain degree of journalism happening instead of just quoting Fox News out of context all night. For example the Miss America segment.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Windows 98 posted:

I am a long time fan of The Daily Show. Saw it live in studio, and have seen nearly every episode for years and years. I still think John Oliver is better. Only because it's not always "hot topics" and there is a certain degree of journalism happening instead of just quoting Fox News out of context all night. For example the Miss America segment.

agreed. JO is a lot better in just the actual take-down of things instead of lolsmirkfunnyface @ FAUX NEWS hew haw. it's not edgier, but a lot more 'dammmmmmn' moments

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

i actually really liked old spaghetti factory as a kid. i like the stone tile decor, carter the great, the tram, victorian-era seating/lamps/etc. i thought it was cool. also the garlic butter, fresh bread, the spumoni ice cream at the end, and mizithra pasta was pretty good. maybe thats just nostalgia since i havent been there for prolly 14 years now

It's not great but it's a pretty good deal

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
i do it already myself but what is the purpose of salting up the pasta water?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
this thread is like a bunch of idiots sitting around comparing what flavor of diarrhea is best

all lovely chain restaurants are poo poo you idiots learning to cook is not that hard and not that expensive

alternately, go enjoy your frozen pre-prepared meals at [insert variety of "style" here] but dont complain that it sucks

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Korthal posted:

Their sauces are good, their soups are good, you may get a butt-ton of salad on the side but it's not a horrible quality salad. Overall, there are much worse places I have eaten.

what is your frame of reference to make this statement? Have you ever eaten hand made pasta? Squid ink? Foie gra? Porcini mushrooms? White truffles? Do you know what it means to "salt to taste"?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Jst0rm posted:

what is your frame of reference to make this statement? Have you ever eaten hand made pasta? Squid ink? Foie gra? Porcini mushrooms? White truffles? Do you know what it means to "salt to taste"?

Here comes the internet slap fight about pasta tasting credentials!

edit: Olive Garden is okay

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's probably mediocre compared to other restaurants in general, really lovely compared to other italian restaurants in general. hth

i'll never have to find out because i live in a city :shrug:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

Speaking as an Italian-Sicilian, Olive Garden's the McDonald's of Italian food. I can cook better and tastier at home.

No, that's Fazoli's because they have a drive-thru window.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

biznatchio posted:

Here comes the internet slap fight about pasta tasting credentials!

edit: Olive Garden is okay

I wanted to know his frame of reference. Its a matter of taste ;) Not everyone has developed taste and its important (not really) to see where he is in that regard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Darth123123 posted:

Now lets here your opinion on Applebees

Hello lads, Johnny Applebees is back in town!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*plants a 2 for 20 meal menu that will one day grow to become an applebee's establishment*

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you wanna dip your balls in some goonettes poosay, just take the bitch to Oliver Garden. Guaranteed pay and lay.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I haven't been to an Olive Garden in like 8 years.

Im guessing its still not great?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the gently caress is oliver garden

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

the gently caress is oliver garden

he works at the spaghetti warehouse

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Without Olive Garden our nation's grandmas would only have Perkins left

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Arian_Samurai posted:

Without Olive Garden our nation's grandmas would only have Perkins left

what abt golden corral, that seems like a grandma place

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i had to look it up cause they all closed near me but my grandma always loved Piccadilly cafeterias. they still operate a website so i assume they have some restaurants somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

what abt golden corral, that seems like a grandma place

The people from Golden Corral are priced out of Olive Garden though.

So Outback, Applebees or Olive Garden who wins?

• Locked thread