Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
alright

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

iostream.h posted:

Ever start playing the song 'Lit Up' by Buckcherry and have your singer start singing 'Nothing But a Good Time' over it while you fight with a wireless system and/or pedalboard that fried itself from lovely bar wiring?

I can say with absolute certainty that I have not

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I have to say that I've never quite understood the function of "bar bands" who play covers of Bob Marley covers. It's not enjoyable.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ras Het posted:

I have to say that I've never quite understood the function of "bar bands" who play covers of Bob Marley covers. It's not enjoyable.

If they weren't on stage playing, they'd still be in that bar, but talking to you about their band that plays covers of bob marley covers. So it's really a matter of which you'd prefer.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like you have some really memorable stories. Would you mind sharing a few?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Playing out is the best. But I don't really dig the cover band thing.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I think less of a person/band if their setlist has more than two covers

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Stravinsky posted:

I don't, it wasn't about covers.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Cover bands and original bands are completely different animals serving completely different purposes. In my musically limited town, they aren't competing with each other for gigs or listeners.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

What if it's a special tribute kind of one-off show/tour kind of thing

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

praxis posted:

Cover bands and original bands are completely different animals serving completely different purposes. In my musically limited town, they aren't competing with each other for gigs or listeners.

Holy moly this is exactly the truth. I'm in an original band and a good friend of mine is in a cover only band. Our experiences couldn't more be different.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm exhausted from playing this weekend. Party band night on Friday, wedding ceremony and reception yesterday. My hands hurt, my voice is toast, and hauling 500 pounds of gear in and out of venues all weekend makes me tired. I'm going to go deposit money in the bank and eat a burger.

Our cover band is fun because we basically gently caress around on stage the entire time. It's myself and and an upright bass player, plus maybe a violinist, too. Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See" mixed into "In Da Club" is fun to mash-up.

We play music that girls like to dance to. When girls are dancing dude's show up. The bar makes money. Nobody wants to hear my whiny emo songs on a Friday night. They don't want to hear Bob Marley, either.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Rivethead posted:

Holy moly this is exactly the truth. I'm in an original band and a good friend of mine is in a cover only band. Our experiences couldn't more be different.

If you're young, by all means you should be in an original band. Live in a van for a couple of years driving all over the country to play music at 2:00am and walk out with $20 for your trouble. Get a lot of great stories and who knows, maybe you'll get signed and be the next big thing. That's where great bands come from.

By the time you're my age, you've realized you aren't going to be a rock star and you've taken a "real" job to pay the bills. You might even have a family to support. Cover bands are great because they still let you play music, there's no pressure because it isn't your main source of income and the pay and hours are usually better than original bands. You're doing it just to have fun, not to make an artistic statement or make it the center of your world.

And in between all that are countless variations of "musician."

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

praxis posted:

By the time you're my age, you've realized you aren't going to be a rock star and you've taken a "real" job to pay the bills. You might even have a family to support. Cover bands are great because they still let you play music, there's no pressure because it isn't your main source of income and the pay and hours are usually better than original bands. You're doing it just to have fun, not to make an artistic statement or make it the center of your world.

And lets you get drunk somewhere other than with your kids and family.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sockington posted:

And lets you get drunk somewhere other than with your kids and family.

Sometimes I play dead with my kids, but really I just wish I wasn't alive anymore.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

praxis posted:

If you're young, by all means you should be in an original band. Live in a van for a couple of years driving all over the country to play music at 2:00am and walk out with $20 for your trouble. Get a lot of great stories and who knows, maybe you'll get signed and be the next big thing. That's where great bands come from.

And in between all that are countless variations of "musician."

I do not understand that attitude at all because it centers itself on the idea that making money is the reason to play music. Like I could give less of a gently caress if I never made a dime off of playing music because that's not the goal at all. Why should I decide that because I can't make a buck I have to play some rocks greatest hit list at some poo poo bar?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What if it's a special tribute kind of one-off show/tour kind of thing

That's cool. I'm all for bands to dress up as other bands for Halloween or whatever

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Stravinsky posted:

I do not understand that attitude at all because it centers itself on the idea that making money is the reason to play music. Like I could give less of a gently caress if I never made a dime off of playing music because that's not the goal at all. Why should I decide that because I can't make a buck I have to play some rocks greatest hit list at some poo poo bar?

I suppose when I started playing guitar I learned through the music of people I admired. The Beatles, The Smashing Pumpkins, Van Halen, Coheed and Cambria - it was whatever I wanted to play. It was fun. When I was old enough I began going to open mic nights and started taking notes from other musicians. I made it a point to become as good a singer and player as I could. Eventually I was being asked to play solo shows and with bands.

I suppose I draw a distinction between composer and performer. A professional orchestra musician's only job is to play the music in front of them. They are paid to play other peoples' music. I have learned lots from playing other peoples' music. Not so much from Lynyrd Skynyrd or Steve Miller Band, but from players like John Mayer and Zakk Wylde to name a couple. They have taught me how to extract more color from my instrument and new ideas for what to do with it all.

It also provides me an important thing: money to buy instruments with with. Gigging gives me tax deductible musical purchases and a cash flow to do so. There is a demand for people who can play music well. Before I went full-time I was strapped for making purchases, where as now I don't flinch at buying a new PA (well, I do a little still). Music is expensive as hell.

I write my own music and hope to get it all recorded sometime soon. I've quit my job to go music full time a couple months ago and I have much much more time to work on my music. Yes, I have to learn new cover songs but it's still playing music which is something I enjoy. I like doing a good job.

There is a FB group for cruise ship musicians I belong to and a dude came in and went nuts. He was 23, fresh out of college, and called everyone who belonged to the group hack frauds because they play other peoples' arrangements on the ships. The resounding response was that it was a job that was in demand and gave us a chance to play music professionally. Not everyone has the opportunity to do something they love full time, and this way we can. While we all have aspirations of making it solely on our own original music, we were keen to the fact that refusing to play other peoples' arrangements was not going to help that. It was better to keep our chops tight and make money than to do some other job and spend our free time just trying to keep up our technique.

I suppose that's my defense of it. I grew into it as a matter of that's where my learning and interest took me. It made me a much better player when I was working toward goals and deadlines. To me it's no different than when I was taking music classes in elementary, junior high, high school, and college. We had pieces to work on that made us better. This is way longer than it ought to have been, however I hope it makes sense?

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 18, 2014

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

I suppose when I started playing guitar I learned through the music of people I admired. The Beatles, The Smashing Pumpkins, Van Halen, Coheed and Cambria - it was whatever I wanted to play. It was fun. When I was old enough I began going to open mic nights and started taking notes from other musicians. I made it a point to become as good a singer and player as I could. Eventually I was being asked to play solo shows and with bands.

I suppose I draw a distinction between composer and performer. A professional orchestra musician's only job is to play the music in front of them. They are paid to play other peoples' music. I have learned lots from playing other peoples' music. Not so much from Lynyrd Skynyrd or Steve Miller Band, but from players like John Mayer and Zakk Wylde to name a couple. They have taught me how to extract more color from my instrument and new ideas for what to do with it all.

It also provides me an important thing: money to buy instruments with with. Gigging gives me tax deductible musical purchases and a cash flow to do so. There is a demand for people who can play music well. Before I went full-time I was strapped for making purchases, where as now I don't flinch at buying a new PA (well, I do a little still). Music is expensive as hell.

I write my own music and hope to get it all recorded sometime soon. I've quit my job to go music full time a couple months ago and I have much much more time to work on my music. Yes, I have to learn new cover songs but it's still playing music which is something I enjoy. I like doing a good job.

There is a FB group for cruise ship musicians I belong to and a dude came in and went nuts. He was 23, fresh out of college, and called everyone who belonged to the group hack frauds because they play other peoples' arrangements on the ships. The resounding response was that it was a job that was in demand and gave us a chance to play music professionally. Not everyone has the opportunity to do something they love full time, and this way we can. While we all have aspirations of making it solely on our own original music, we were keen to the fact that refusing to play other peoples' arrangements was not going to help that. It was better to keep our chops tight and make money than to do some other job and spend our free time just trying to keep up our technique.

I suppose that's my defense of it. I grew into it as a matter of that's where my learning and interest took me. It made me a much better player when I was working toward goals and deadlines. To me it's no different than when I was taking music classes in elementary, junior high, high school, and college. We had pieces to work on that made us better. This is way longer than it ought to have been, however I hope it makes sense?

What about musicians who play on cruises and play their own music there? Would you say that's the best of both worlds?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What about musicians who play on cruises and play their own music there? Would you say that's the best of both worlds?

At least on the larger cruise lines the fly-on entertainment were all glorified cover musicians who had a gimmick. Other entertainment were comedians, sword swallowers, magicians, acrobats etc. The staff musicians were pub players, jazz players, and classical players. We played popular music and review shows.

Edit:

Some of the better insults between players on the boat:
"You should sell your trumpet, then buy a dog and shoot it."
"Your technique is terrible, but at least your tone is bad."
"You sound like John Mayer falling down the stairs."

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 18, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I put together a house show in my apartment this past weekend it was loving awesome. My intent was to create an experience less like a loud rock show in a bar or rock venue, and more like a classical music recital except where people can smoke weed and drink while watching the music. The band was four vocalists, a guitarist, a french horn, and then me on piano/synth/loops/electroslusch, we were playing music that I guess you could say is somewhere stylistically between This Mortal Coil and Massive Attack. We had an audience of I think 40 people or so which is pretty much the most that can fit in my place. I had a much better time than at many large venues I've played and I think the audience did too!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Earwicker posted:

I put together a house show in my apartment this past weekend it was loving awesome. My intent was to create an experience less like a loud rock show in a bar or rock venue, and more like a classical music recital except where people can smoke weed and drink while watching the music. The band was four vocalists, a guitarist, a french horn, and then me on piano/synth/loops/electroslusch, we were playing music that I guess you could say is somewhere stylistically between This Mortal Coil and Massive Attack. We had an audience of I think 40 people or so which is pretty much the most that can fit in my place. I had a much better time than at many large venues I've played and I think the audience did too!

House shows are the most fun shows for both playing and going to. Though that is probably a bit different than the DIY punk/metal shows in a lovely basement that I'm used to.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think cover vs. original really depends on what type of music you're playing. I once walked into a bar/restaurant only to be greeted with a Maroon Five cover band, (which was odd because it was in a fairly redneck part of Vermont), and it was goddamn awful. Nobody wants to see that. But occasionally my Dad and I will grab a mandolin and guitar and jam out to old, old folk tunes at open mics/small venues, and those seem to be received well even though I guess technically it's still a "cover band".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think folk musicians playing traditional tunes counts as a "cover band". Nor are jazz musicians playing standards they didn't write, string and wind ensembles or orchestras playing quartets or symphonies they didn't write, a theatre company performing an opera they didn't write, etc.. The term has a definite rock band context and while it has certainly expanded a bit from there, it's not really an umbrella for any musician performing music they didn't compose.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I don't think folk musicians playing traditional tunes counts as a "cover band". Nor are jazz musicians playing standards they didn't write, string and wind ensembles or orchestras playing quartets or symphonies they didn't write, a theatre company performing an opera they didn't write, etc.. The term has a definite rock band context and while it has certainly expanded a bit from there, it's not really an umbrella for any musician performing music they didn't compose.

Yeah the more that I think about it the more I consider that a wrong usage of the term. But in the sense of "rock band playing songs by popular rock bands", I have yet to see one I've enjoyed.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah the more that I think about it the more I consider that a wrong usage of the term. But in the sense of "rock band playing songs by popular rock bands", I have yet to see one I've enjoyed.

These guys from some of Finland's top punk bands have a Dead Boys cover band. It's rad as gently caress, and I don't even care for Dead Boys that much.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Kvlt! posted:

I once walked into a bar/restaurant only to be greeted with a Maroon Five cover band...and it was goddamn awful.

When people ask me for things that are not in my wheelhouse, I'm always fast to say "I stick to my strengths. Do you want to hear me sing something I'm going to suck at?" I keep my sets to things that I enjoy playing and that I feel I do a good job at.

This past weekend the wedding asked me to perform an Elvis Costello song and a Bruce Springsteen song. Both not my style of vocals. Glad that's behind me.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think two of the big issues with cover bands are:
1. Song selection
2. Trying to emulate the original song

My main band plays a mix of originals and covers, and we are careful to pick songs that aren't overplayed, that we can make sound like our originals, and that work with our sound. So our version of a song like "Rehab" sounds more like us than Amy Winehouse - we're a power trio, so we've stripped out some chords, altered others, pulled the horn parts out as some guitar/bass riffs, etc. It pretty much just shares the melody and some chord movements, and audiences still really like it despite the fact that if you left out the vocals you probably wouldn't recognize it as the same song.

Meanwhile a band I fill in sometimes (hey, it pays well and is easy) with is your basic four-piece bar band playing 90s-eras rock, and the reason I can fill in it that play everything exactly like the recording. Both guitarists have big digital pedal boards with settings saved for each song, drummer plays the same fills... basically you end up with a knock-off of the original recording, only with all the sound issues that come along with a live band.

I wish bands would stop trying to sound like copy-cats, because some of my favorite songs are covers that don't sound that much like the originals. One great thing about the 60s is that for every sorta-hit you'd have about half-a-dozen weird versions of the song come out, and while a lot are garbage some are better than the originals.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Kinks vs EVH on "You Really Got Me" comes to mind.

Yeah, they're the same song but I doubt many would mix up which band was which.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CheesyDog posted:

...and while a lot are garbage some are better than the originals.

Joe Cocker kills it, for example.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

Joe Cocker kills it, for example.

Yeah, he really sucks the life out of the original.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

I'm just offering the most common distinction and motivations between cover/original bands and how they each serve a purpose. I'm not attempting to explain the motivation behind every person who ever picked up a guitar.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you could make another guitarist who isn't a collossal douchebag appear that would be lovely.

There's only enough room in the band for one douchebag and I'm that douchebag so the other guitarist can't be a douchebag.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Earwicker posted:

Holy poo poo dude if you ever do this again I want in.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got on stage this afternoon.

I'm a high school teacher and a few of the kids have made a metal band. They don't have a bass guitarist so they asked me to play bass with them at the end of school assembly. So we belted out Enter Sandman in front of the whole school.

It was awesome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm a high school teacher and a few of the kids have made a metal band. They don't have a bass guitarist so they asked me to play bass with them at the end of school assembly. So we belted out Enter Sandman in front of the whole school.

now you know what its like to be Bob Rock

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

now you know what its like to be Bob Rock

This drummer played in time.

And he had the snare turned on.

And he wasn't Lars.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

I got on stage this afternoon.

It was awesome.

Why is it that every single high school band that plays in a school assembly/school gathering either plays this or "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Because they're two of those songs that only teenagers think are cool.

• Locked thread