Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
It is now Black Friday.

Enjoy being stampeded as you try get something at Wal-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
drove by the front entrance of a best buy around 6pm earlier tonight and i saw 3-5 people outside by the door, i thought it seemed kind of quiet assuming that theyd be opening latr in the night but i just released that they dont open until this morning and its been cold and snowing outside.

why?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My folks were discussing getting a $120 paper shredder for $20, then came to their senses when they realized they'd have to camp outside of a Staples to get it. They opted to sleep in and have Belgian waffles for breakfast instead.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Neurion posted:

My folks were discussing getting a $120 paper shredder for $20, then came to their senses when they realized they'd have to camp outside of a Staples to get it. They opted to sleep in and have Belgian waffles for breakfast instead.

do they know about "Cyber" Monday? they could probably get a similar deal on a shredder if they are willing to wait a couple days or pay for shipping (if they cant have it sent to a store for pickup). you should let them in on the secret in return for their Belgian waffles.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata posted:

do they know about "Cyber" Monday? they could probably get a similar deal on a shredder if they are willing to wait a couple days or pay for shipping (if they cant have it sent to a store for pickup). you should let them in on the secret in return for their Belgian waffles.

What the gently caress is this waiting poo poo?! THat's unamerican! I'm getting my paper shredder if I have to shove your face into it first to make you let go of it you loving communist dick babg

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Black Fridays are like looting stores the legal way. Sure your still forcing doors open and tearing things apart to get what you want. But at least you pay for the item on your way out. I never been to a mass looting event, I wonder how respectful they are? do you fight over the big screen tv's, or would you be happy with a fistful of monster cables? I just went shopping and saw two abulances, one was at a mall, to be fair the other was at the dairy queen, gotta get them deals.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Black Friday is in the UK now as well. Go away you fat fucks. I'll be deep in the cold ground before I ever celebrate your lovely 4th of July and thanksgiving wankfests.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/28/black-friday-england_n_6236136.html

Why are you following us GB? We're not going to a good place.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Explain to me how that's supposed to work. Is it like an actual event without context?

Black Friday here in the US is a part of the extended Thanksgiving weekend in the US. Like... Black Friday in the UK makes zero sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ChuckHead posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/28/black-friday-england_n_6236136.html

Why are you following us GB? We're not going to a good place.

lol

The practice of offering bargain basement prices the day after Thanksgiving has spread across the Atlantic, with some retailers opening overnight to lure shoppers.

Police were called early Friday morning to help maintain security at some supermarkets and shopping outlets that offered deep discounts starting at midnight.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
See at least the us has an excuse, that's just pathetic

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

The US doesn't have an excuse, unless the excuse is 'being a dumbfuck' in which case the US and England are the same; hth.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Captain Candiru posted:

Explain to me how that's supposed to work. Is it like an actual event without context?

Black Friday here in the US is a part of the extended Thanksgiving weekend in the US. Like... Black Friday in the UK makes zero sense.

Shops here have Black Friday signs and massive discounts, and there's been several riots already. It makes zero sense anyway. From what I've read, the electronics are all really b-grade stuff made just for today and would never have been sold at full price to begin with.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I heard a nearby retailer had people punching each other over crock pots.

I kind of wish I could have witnessed that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine the fact that supermarkets are being eaten alive by discount retailers, and general-goods shops by the Internet, has absolutely nothing to do with this attempt to market novelty, basic greed, and spectacle to a mass audience

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I went.

loving animals, they should have locked the store down and set it on fire. My friend got a lovely 50 inch TV for like $200. I got PTSD. And a $10 salmon hoodie. The hoodie is ok.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So the way it works at Walmart is there is giant pile of TVs and you have to wait in line to get the TV so what they should do is to that but instead of a TV it is a giant pile of black friday guns and ammo and the world would be a better place.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
at work now. someone plz open fire in our mall so I can see some blood and go home.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
My brother works at the same Walmart that I worked at for several years. He was on the floor last year during the black friday rush. He had to cut the saran wrap off of one of the pallets of the sale items, and people were literally throwing themselves onto the display as he was cutting it free because their smartphones "said" it was 6 pm and, you know, the entire world revolves around the time on your personal watch or phone.

Once he got it completely unwrapped, he had only a second or two before the mob descended on the merchandise like a school of piranhas on an unlucky cow.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
bitch if you felt sorry for me having to be in this store 12 plus hour's you wouldnt be here. take your poo poo and get out

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

My brother works at the same Walmart that I worked at for several years. He was on the floor last year during the black friday rush. He had to cut the saran wrap off of one of the pallets of the sale items, and people were literally throwing themselves onto the display as he was cutting it free because their smartphones "said" it was 6 pm and, you know, the entire world revolves around the time on your personal watch or phone.

Once he got it completely unwrapped, he had only a second or two before the mob descended on the merchandise like a school of piranhas on an unlucky cow.

Actually the Walmart I went to had things pretty organized, I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more mayhem, it would have been pretty cool to see someone get into a fight over a lovely tv.

Oh and one guy cut in line but as he was cutting in like he kept saying "I'M NOT CUTTING IN LINE, I'M NOT CUTTING IN LINE" and then he cut in line. It was kind of funny.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

zooted heh posted:

bitch if you felt sorry for me having to be in this store 12 plus hour's you wouldnt be here. take your poo poo and get out

:hfive:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

It's fun to be reminded sometimes that we live in a dystopian sci-fi fantasy world.

EDIT: wow the no-avatar avatars keep getting worse.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Black Sunday owns, more people should watch it. Robert Shaw is a Mossad agent who has to stop Bruce Dern from blowing up the Superbowl.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Is that a fat person on a cart? Does walmart sell fatties now?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

why do you have to quit? just walk out amongst the chaos and return when it's time to clock out.

This definitely works btw.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Glowku posted:

Is that a fat person on a cart? Does walmart sell fatties now?

It was. I asked my friend if he would push me around in a cart but he said no. :(

Also there were two kind of cute girls right in front of us and the ugly guy in the white T-Shirt was super, super goony and kept hitting on them awkwardly and they couldn't get away because they really wanted a cheap TV.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 28, 2014

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Captain Candiru posted:

We in the UK learned to stop worrying and love the the granny stompin'.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Three Olives posted:

It was. I asked my friend if he would push me around in a cart but he said no. :(

Also there were two kind of cute girls right in front of us and the ugly guy in the white T-Shirt was super, super goony and kept hitting on them awkwardly and they couldn't get away because they really wanted a cheap TV.

so you gave them the D right?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So here's my one and only ever Black Friday story for your amusement.

Back when the Wii came out (2005?) I decided to Black Friday shop for the first time ever in hopes of getting one. Say, JS, did you pre-order, or do anything besides get up early Black Friday morning and just hope to find one? gently caress no! What's preparation or anticipation, precious?

WELP. Let's just say that Wii didn't happen for a few months. But I gave it a college try that morning, going to Wal-mart, Sam's, Gamestop, and finally ending up at Circuit City.

Never in my life have I seen the kind of poo poo I saw that morning. Go back to the OP and watch those .flvs, it was seriously like that most everywhere. By the time I got to Circuit City I felt almost dehumanized by the kind of rampant consumerist complete loving insanity I had witnessed thus far. People literally throwing other people on the ground to get a waffle iron for $9 off, kids slapping the poo poo out of each other fighting over Barbie clothes with red "CLEARANCE!" stickers on them, men and women in overalls actually sobbing because some product was sold out, etc. Just total, complete, batshit craziness. It was like a David Lynch movie.

So I get to Circuit City, my last stop and last hope of getting a Wii. Circuit City is jam-loving-packed with humanity. It's like a loving lobster tank in there, people climbing over one another, the entire middle of the store one thronging, sweating, bargain-hunting mass of carbon. I literally had to edge around the store with my back to the outer wall and my arms spread out palms-to-the-wall like an old-timey burglar trying to avoid detection. I shuffled around the entire periphery of the store in this way, simultaneously horrified at humanity, disgusted at myself, and hopeful that maybe, just maybe, I'd find a Wii here and this whole descent into the belly of the LOW LOW PRICES beast would not have been for naught.

Well, you can guess what I found in the video game section, right? This is a Circuit City, so there were a lot of like Sega Game Gear games and poo poo still priced at $59.99, a ton of very questionable accessories ("Now you can STAND YOUR GAME BOY UPRIGHT while it charges, just $29.99!"), and nothing that resembled anything anyone would ever buy for any reason. Can I just say, mother fucker, I should have stayed in bed. So I began to make my way through this enormous crowd towards the doors.

Now at this point CC had 4 registers going and there were no poo poo between 30-40 people in line for EACH REGISTER. So think for just a moment. If you are #40 in line for one of these registers, and the clerk can process each transaction in 90 seconds (good luck), then you are going to be standing there for a loving hour just for the chance to get 15% off your quesadilla maker. What the gently caress?

So I'm squeezing past the end of these lines, and at the end of the line are two dudes probably in their mid-to-late twenties. They are #40, at least, with an hour wait ahead of them if they're lucky to finally get to pay. And what were these gentlemen willing to sacrifice an hour of their lives to buy?

One of them was holding three DVDs. I could only see the top one, but it was some iteration of "The Fast and the Furious." So this poor motherfucker was going to stand in line for an hour, at least, to buy three DVDs. But it got even better. As I struggled through the throng, dude 1 turned to dude 2 and said:

"Man, we are so loving lucky to get here in time... two bucks off EACH of these movies!"

Yes, he and his friend had gotten up early, come to this store, fought their way to the movies section, made the choice to buy a movie about driving cars, shoved their way into an hour+ wait line, and they had done all of this poo poo in order to save six bucks.

A light went off in my head. This Black Friday poo poo wasn't about deals, or saving, or getting a bargain. It was about mental illness, and a desire to suffer. I felt as if my eyes had been opened, as if mighty Cthulhu himself had risen from the ocean, turned its dread Eye on me, and winked. Nowadays I just sit back and wait to hear the casualty figures.

BTW I eventually got the Wii and had as much fun with it as most people, meaning a month or two of bowling and then just sort of avoiding eye contact with it from that point on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Glowku posted:

The girls or my gay friends?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Saw a store promoting Black Friday here in Scandinavia today, nobody cared. Hopefully it stays that way D:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

ThirdPartyView posted:

The US doesn't have an excuse, unless the excuse is 'being a dumbfuck' in which case the US and England are the same; hth.

I'm Canadian and we have black fridays too. There is no context except that its black friday. Canada also has Boxing day sales (aka the day after Christmas day), which is just unashamed selfness immediately after christmas. At least with black friday you can have the excuse that you blasted someone point blank in the face with mace so you could buy your kid an xbox for christmas. With boxing day its just like "Hey! you just spent a poo poo load on christmas and was likelly in turn was given a bunch of crap too! But we still have lots of crap to sell at rock bottom prices! So buybuybuybuybuybuyspendspendspendspendconsumeconsumeconsume!"

But boxing day doesn't have people waiting days, let alone weeks, infront of stores, we just have people standing out in the freezing cold in early hours of the morning waiting for the doors to open specially early to barrel through the doors to get one of 4 tv's on sale. Does anyone else have that, very little of the crap for sale? This black friday some flyers advertised things like "Four minimum per store" for their door crashers. Pretty much anything worth tackling someone right in the spine for is going to already been bought by the time you reach the pallet.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Glowku posted:

This is three olives you are talking about. The D would be derision on their fashion designs.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Black Friday is in the UK now as well. Go away you fat fucks. I'll be deep in the cold ground before I ever celebrate your lovely 4th of July and thanksgiving wankfests.

And in Denmark as well! Why, I do not know - except the offers are really lovely.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

Look we've seen this Halloween and Thanksgiving thing on TV and while we may not know exactly what it is by god we are going to have our own.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Just got back from a 10 hour shift stuck at the checkouts of an electrical goods section for a major uk department store. gently caress you America for giving us Black Friday.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Just got back from a 10 hour shift stuck at the checkouts of an electrical goods section for a major uk department store. gently caress you America for giving us Black Friday.

Was there any granny-smashin'? I heard that Tescos had to be cleared by the police.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Fugue Stater posted:

Black Fridays in my city are apparently very polite and civil, but I still think it's a dying trend. Online continues to gain market share, and the deals usually aren't even that crazy anymore. The days of trample deaths are probably gone.

But any big Black Friday sale would still be a fantastic target for any would-be terrorist groups, I dare say. Not only do you get a ton of people, but you can cause enormous economic damage by inhibiting holiday season shopping, which often accounts for 60+% of some retailer annual revenue.

RIP in prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Was there any granny-smashin'? I heard that Tescos had to be cleared by the police.

In honesty it wasn't all that bad, just a pain in the arse that I spent most of the day having to actually serve people instead of have personal conversations with the girls in cookware who are basically a level down from the tarts in womenswear. This is the correct level as of course the womenswear ladies are holding out for the guys in menswear/sporting goods and us electrical geeks must know our place. It's a delicate ecosystem. I smash grannies at weekends.

• Locked thread