Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

quote:

It's a sudden, jarring change

quote:

It's also, at times, garish.

quote:

App menu headers are bold reds and blues greens, but there's no logic to the system of colors to match the logic of animation

quote:

Even those animations can get a little overbearing. It's great when you first start using Lollipop, but once you get your bearings, you kind of wish they'd go a little faster.

quote:

there are lots of places where it's hard to tell what's happening. For example, in settings, text can be a number of things: a button to take you deeper into a menu, a heading that does nothing, a button that toggles a switch off to the right, or a button that activates a pop-up menu.

quote:

I am mortified to find that Android still seems to offer different interfaces for text selection and cut/copy/paste in different corners of the OS — to say nothing of the fact that the icons are still vague and the widgets for selecting text are frustratingly small (oh, and vary in color depending on the app).

quote:

a new attempt to make a coherent Quick Settings panel. Google messes with these toggles in every iteration of Android, usually to middling effect. It's the same story here.

quote:

Google says that it automatically tries to guess which settings you want to flip and shows you those. What I want is "Mobile Hotspot." What I get instead is "Invert Colors," with no way to manually change it. Maddening.

quote:

It's an idea that is great in theory but can be hard to think through in execution, especially when it comes to keeping track of your Chrome tabs. At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I'll say that Duarte did a better job at Palm with this idea way back in 2009 with webOS

quote:

if you use Face Unlock, it now just works in the background while you're messing about with notifications on your lock screen. Unfortunately, in my testing, it's not any more reliable than it used to be — which is to say, not much.

quote:

Google is also touting "Tap and Go," which uses NFC to transfer account information from one phone to another. [...] it's still nowhere near the phone-replacement experience on iOS.

quote:

I had been hoping that default full-device encryption (another Lollipop feature) would mean we'd get full phone backups and restores: accounts, logins, and all. Nope.

quote:

I will say that on both the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9, the performance story is mixed. Moments of pure speed and smoothness are interrupted by inexplicable pauses. Battery life is very difficult to pin down, too.

quote:

Android 5.0 is very much a "Dot Oh" update — and that means bugs.

quote:

a new version of Android is always accompanied with questions: will existing devices get an update? When will new devices begin shipping with the new OS? As ever, there aren't clear answers

quote:

the changes are huge, but there are still some bugs that need to get ironed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Samsung: Plan Less

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Amethyst posted:

what are phone app rigs
img-pegboard and zip ties

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

a phablet with a eink display on the rear is actually one of the neater gimmicks i've heard of in a while

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

not from this distance, your honor 6 plus

• Locked thread