Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Samsung's review of its own Gear S concludes that it's 'awesome'

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=44428

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lolling hard at google's rushed "me too" response when the news broke about apple being unable to decrypt iphones for law enforcement was a poorly baked idea and fucks up the performance

as expected

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

today was a good day for anroid lols

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2m3cfc/anandtech_the_nexus_6_review/

:xd:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

u would think after years of so much angst about always having a compromised in some way anroid phone they would give up and get the iphone

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://plus.google.com/+JeremyCamp1337/posts/iDyPjEuEf51

lmaoooooo knew this would happen from the start. google felt the pressure from timb's new privacy selling point and decided that all anroids would have full disk encryption

the masses are starting to see the light

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2m484o/lollipop_unencrypted_vs_encrypted_disk_speeds/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

reddit is realizing apple owns and will switch faster than dyp will

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea cause they had to match apple when they started getting all the press about iOS 8 and the immediate business interest of preventing the already growing distrust of google on privacy matters was more important than crippled performance in anroid devices

incentives are the most important thing and their bread isnt buttered by anroid

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

u would think DYP would catch on to this fact when they stop for a moment to think about why all their anroid phones are garbage and are always hosed and compromised in some way but nope

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

From a smoothness and stability standpoint, iOS 8 feels so much more refined and predictable than Lollipop does on the Nexus 9. Apple is known for obsessing over things like animation draw times and smooth scrolling, trying to create an experience that never feels jarring or rough around the edges. Apple seems to toil indefatigably to ensure those home screen swipes and launch animations are perfect every time. Moving to the more powerful A8X chip with three cores now means that smoothness persists even during app installs or other background operations, an area where the first Air occasionally would have difficulty.

This is such a huge thing, for me, from a UX standpoint. Google has tried to instill these values in Android with things like Project Butter, but it’s never seemed to pan out exactly in the way I think we all hoped would. The obsession with smoothness in iOS is almost religious. In Android, it’s always seemed like an attitude of “hey, if you can keep things at around 60FPS, that’d be great or whatever.” I realize animations and such things are far more aesthetic than functional, but they can have a huge effect on how you perceive performance and feel about a device. Using the iPad just feels nicer, I don’t find myself getting annoyed by it nearly as often as the Nexus.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/11/nexus-9-vs-ipad-air-2-a-mostly-subjective-comparison/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

u can feel the angst and the frustration

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

theadder posted:

do you read android police regularly cremnob

that was linked by gruber but i do read it sometimes

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol jerk mcjerkface is buying it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

:xd:

Seoul (AFP) - Samsung Electronics has announced plans to slash the number of smartphone models it issues next year by up to one-third as it tries to cut prices in the face of intense Chinese competition.
The strategy, confirmed by a company spokesman Tuesday, was unveiled during a presentation in New York by the South Korean conglomerate's head of investor relations, Robert Yi.

Yi said the company -- which last month reported a near 50-percent plunge in third-quarter net profit following a 20 percent drop in the previous quarter -- would reduce the number of smartphone models in 2015 by between one-quarter and one-third.

The strategy is expected to be accompanied by a significant increase in the production of remaining models that can be sold more cheaply to compete with cut-price Chinese rivals.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

everything has played out like i expected. timb has done it again

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Peeved with Google's selling policy, big retailers like Croma, Future Group and others refuse to sell Android One smartphones

India's leading retailers have refused to sell Google's Android One handsets in India since the US company chose to launch its products online, a development that highlights the growing friction between brick-and-mortar stores and online retailers. Tata-owned Croma, Future Group, Planet MRetail and Next Retail, BigC, Lot Mobiles, Reliance Retail and Sangeetha Mobiles — which together operate more than 1,800 stores — have not stocked any of the three Android One smartphones launched so far, five senior industry executives said on the condition of anonymity.

Micromax, Karbonn and Spice, the three Android One makers, used the online platform to launch the Android One handsets in mid-September, but recently decided to tap the brick-and-mortar stores as sales failed to gather pace.

"Since Android One decided not to sell in physical stores during its launch, we as part of modern trade, have decided not to stock Android One either," said Sangeetha Mobiles MD Subhash Chandra. Android One is American search giant Google's pet project to increase adoption of smartphones in emerging markets with India being the first country where it is being piloted.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google and Rockstar wind down their year-long patent war
Microsoft, Apple, and others created "Rockstar" to spend $4.5B on Nortel patents.

The high-profile patent lawsuit between Google and the "Rockstar Consortium" is drawing to a close. Google has signed a "term sheet" with Rockstar which will be finalized as a settlement in the coming weeks.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/google-and-rockstar-settle-patent-dispute/

owned

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i dont know that whole thing was shady as heck from a corporate governance point of view. i can rant about that and how it relates to why google is hosed at some point but im lazy

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

It turns out that there are differences between gradients on the various Android devices. This is not a browser thing, but an actual device thing. I compared the same gradient test on different Android devices in Firefox, Android WebKit, and Chrome, and found the same differences between the browsers. It became obvious that there are incompatibilities between these Androids’ graphical … thingies, and that browsers don’t (can’t?) work around them.

So I thought I’d write a snarky post embellished with some screenshots. It was when I had made those screenshots that the other shoe dropped: the screenshots show different gradients than the screen. In other words, Android screenshots cannot be trusted to show subtle browser differences. Actual external pictures taken with a camera are mandatory.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

In Another Fire Sale, Amazon Cuts Phone Price to $199 Unlocked, Still With a Free Year of Prime

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

knuc is right

there are more pedos per capita on SA than reddit

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8803118

user error wont fix :xd:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Samsung, which saw its electronics business encounter headwinds through much of 2014, said fourth-quarter sales and profits were down substantially from the prior year.

The company reported preliminary sales of approximately 52 trillion won ($47.3 billion) and operating profits of about 5.2 trillion won ($4.7 billion). That’s down from the fourth quarter of 2013, when the company earned 8.3 trillion won ($7.6 billion) on sales of 59.3 trillion won ($54.9 billion). That’s a 12 percent drop in revenue and a decrease of more than 37 percent in operating profit.

However, both sales and profits did increase sequentially from the third quarter, though that was to be expected given the fact the fourth quarter includes the traditionally strong holiday sales period.

cremnob fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 8, 2015

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

timb was right

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-...bb5e1580f8a31a4

sarnsung's numbers would be worse if not for the components business. the pivot is complete

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Sources: Samsung plans to launch a round smartwatch and two Galaxy S6 variants at MWC, one with a metal frame and another with a curved Note Edge-like display

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Smartphone company Samsung has recently approached BlackBerry Ltd to buy the company for as much as $7.5 billion, looking to gain access to its patent portfolio, according to a person familiar with the matter and documents seen by Reuters.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

anroid lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Blue Train posted:

mysterious orient poo poo

mods

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/dont-cry-for-the-google-play-edition-program-it-was-already-dead/

lmao

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

rest in piss

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

former motorola CEO

quote:

Indeed, the 6-inch Nexus 6, he can now admit, was stymied by just one of those big players. A dimple on the back that helps users hold the device should, in fact, have been rather more sophisticated. “The secret behind that is that it was supposed to be fingerprint recognition, and Apple bought the best supplier. So the second best supplier was the only one available to everyone else in the industry and they weren’t there yet,” says Woodside. Nonetheless, he adds, the addition of fingerprint recognition, “wouldn’t have made that big a difference.”

Woodside, now CEO of Dropbox, expresses relief at freedom from these "uncontrollable market forces" in his new position. "We're not trying to serve ads or sell hardware," he told The Telegraph.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

timb stabbed sarnsung's phone business in the heart with one hand and extends his other in friendship so that sarnsung's pivot to the less profitable components business will be successful

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/26/us-samsung-elec-apple-iphone-chips-idUSKBN0KZ01W20150126

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob posted:

former motorola CEO

Woodside, now CEO of Dropbox, expresses relief at freedom from these "uncontrollable market forces" in his new position. "We're not trying to serve ads or sell hardware," he told The Telegraph.

thats the PTSD talking from after trying and failing to compete with apple

reminder:

Without naming the iPhone directly, he said: “Those products earn 50 per cent margins. We don’t necessarily have those constraints. Those [margins] will not persist.”

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

rest in piss fuckers

Samsung's 4Q earnings drop 27 percent

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_SKOREA_EARNS_SAMSUNG_ELECTRONICS_?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbrAkY_58s&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Android in general is poo poo. We all know it. I've had every single android flagship and typing this on my moto x 2014. Its utterly infuriating how fragmented and broken android is. Every single android phone I have had is riddled with "x had stopped working" or just general android garbage. Google is doing way too many things and half assing them all. Google glass, google plus, android , android tv, these are all examples of mediocrity. Jack of all trades master of none. I personally will ride out this pos moto x until summer with release of new iPhone. If it weren't for the apps I would already be using Windows phone over android in all honesty.

• Locked thread