Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

android tablet

read this as android table

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

also available for walls with wandows

http://ideum.com/touch-walls/

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

I honestly feel sorry for the kids that end up with these

same

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i wish

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

flagship gaming tablet can't play games

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do we know why

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Samsung announces Gear VR ‘Innovator Edition’, coming to the US in early December

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

DaNzA posted:

the weird thing is even the 4s got the full disk encryption, so its probably something else in the chip that handles it

the 3gs had it lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this gave me great pleasure duckman2008

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I’m a sailor. I’m thinking of buying a cheap Android tablet with GPS to use as a chartplotter...

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did we decide if android is good or bad yet itt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

submit ur preliminary findings

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

black man 2????

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do you read android police regularly cremnob

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

theres a disclaimer at the top to try and minimise their anger

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

but im not upset at all op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

why are some bought & returned and then an identical one bought after plz let it be differing cpu skus not price

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

yeah, the thunderbolt display is basically a docking station.

the next will charge

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

nukem posted:

just give smythe the bigphone. he's an android connoisseur, not some capricious smartphone harlot like u

epic thattery

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

the heck is that? custy? galaxm? kitkat i know.. decker? dairy milk? bounty? track R? the gently caress are these moon candies

they are british ones

:3: dairy milk

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

sorely lacking in opal fruits tho

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dont like being told what to do

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

As you can see, there's a very significant performance penalty that comes with enabling FDE [full device encryption], with a 62.9% drop in random read performance, a 50.5% drop in random write performance, and a staggering 80.7% drop in sequential read performance.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

just curious, does the flash performance of a modern smartphone actually affect usability, or is the bottleneck elsewhere in the system like the cpu or os?

Like I mentioned earlier, Motorola provided us with a build of Android with FDE disabled. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed any improvements to many of the areas where there are significant frame rate issues such as Messenger and Calendar. I speculated in the Nexus 6 review that the performance issues may simply be the result of insufficient GPU performance or memory bandwidth to drive the QHD display.

To me, the move to enable FDE by default in Lollipop seems like a reactionary move to combat the perception that Android is insecure or more prone to attack than iOS, even if that perception may not actually be accurate.

maybe but we'll not know in this case bc its so bad regardless lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

well this time they induced it by putting a 2560*1440 display (the old imac lol) in a telephone ahahah

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

send more java

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its got a charger and 2 (??) cases lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

also i went ahead and nuked my n4 to get rid of the encryption and it's noticeably more responsive, but the benchmark tool i was using wasn't giving anything near consistent results so here's a random set

encrypted:

sequential read: 33.75 MB/sec
sequential write: 23.22 MB/sec
random read: 14.22 MB/sec
random write: 9.21 MB/sec

decrypted:

sequential read: 92.0 MB/sec
sequential write: 28.9 MB/sec
random read: 20.0 MB/sec
random write: 8.72 MB/sec

why are random writes faster when encrypted? why are there cryptography drivers listed on the android binaries page for the nexus 4 (and only the nexus 4) but they don't appear to be being used? who knows

why do u buy this crap

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

i bought an iPad air i do not regret my purchase and it is maybe even easier to use than my android poo poo

good sponge

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Metrication posted:

wow yes why eat some tasty fruits when you can have a laxative tablet instead

but it has assorted fruit??????

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

A particularly nasty mobile malware campaign targeting Android users has hit between four million and 4.5 million Americans since January of 2013, according to an estimate by Lookout, a San Francisco mobile security company that has been tracking the malware for about two years.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

MononcQc posted:

I remote into my VPS, go on irssi, and then may patch a few things here and there (and again, code reviews) if I'm on the run during work hours that I should actually be working v:shobon:v

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

In Another Fire Sale, Amazon Cuts Phone Price to $199 Unlocked, Still With a Free Year of Prime

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

get it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

In Another Fire Sale, Amazon Cuts Phone Price to $199 Unlocked, Still With a Free Year of Prime

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

postin to check android good/bad status itt

• Locked thread