Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

someone's having a good yosmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

anroid needs to come out with something terrible or a bug needs to be exposed otherwise we seem to be beating a dead horse (and smythe)

there's no room for new bugs since they're jsut letting all the ones that have been around since 1.0 stay there and fixing things like the santa emoji not smiling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anand says it's a huge (lol) piece of poo poo

quote:

In terms of build quality, Motorola has built a fine device that meets Google's "premium" claim and doesn't make the $650 price feel like a ripoff. The Nexus 6 is very big, and while the size of a device is a pretty personal thing, we think we could deal with it. Today, a lot of people will be put off by the huge size, but don't be surprised if, in a year or two, every flagship Android phone is six inches.

The battery is OK, but we still feel like Motorola could have packed more than a 3220mAh battery into a 6-inch device. Sony's 5.2-inch Z3 has a 3100mAh battery, and 6.1-inch phones from Huawei usually clock in around 4000mAh. A massive battery like that would make the 6-inch screen a lot easier to stomach.

The thing that really bugs us about the Nexus 6 is, why is this device six inches? Lollipop doesn't really do anything to take advantage of the bigger screen. If Google introduced something like split screen app support, we would feel a lot better about lugging something like this around. Right now, nothing justifies the size of the Nexus 6. The battery isn't huge, and you're mostly getting the same Android you'd get on a 5-inch device, just bigger.

Android's biggest update ever revamps nearly every part of the OS.
The real downside is that the device just feels slow, and while maybe Google has some optimization work to do on Lollipop, a big part of it is the slow storage the Nexus 6 was saddled with. It's not as fast as the Nexus 5, and it loads bigger games about as quickly as the Nexus 4, a phone from 2012.
smythe you should hold onto your nexus 4 or get a nexus 5 which sunder can get to you in a reasonable time frame

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

hell even ron amadeo over at ars says its lovely

i can't embed the video but watch this comparing it to a Nexus 5

oh lol that quote is from ars, not anand. i get those a sites confused since they're the only two not completely awful tech sites

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dypers getting really pissed that their new bestphoneeveroftheweek is a piece of poo poo and saying the reviews are wrong

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cremnob posted:

u would think after years of so much angst about always having a compromised in some way anroid phone they would give up and get the iphone

ummmm but their freedoms????

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

hmm..

maybe they need to use a not poo poo soc that has native encryption extensions

i'd expect this kind of poo poo from ainol but when what is essentially google's first-party manufacturer does it with the flagship android phone...

lol android

reading through the comments, the nexus 6 soc, at least, *does* have a native encryption extensions they just don't use them for some reason lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dyp is talking about how the easiest way to interface with android is to install a linux vm

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

well, sorta. one 1 hand u dont haveto install the sdk or drivers ro w/e to get to the thing. on the other hand, most of th 1 click root thingmabobs are windows programs. so its a lil catch 22.

source: my rly old DROID 2 (RIP) and janitoring my down stairs neighbors old htc sensation for a freezer bag of weed 1nce but i didnt even smoke even half of it. before it got all dry and ruined. what a fail :qq:

has sunder put lollislow on your nexus 4 yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is the nexus 10 running lollipop

i'm the terrible everything

i'm google drive and also google drive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jfc this guy has a mental illness

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682061

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 17, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

well. he's not publicly stated it, i don't think, but come on

cum on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

I think back in 1.1 A was on your computer and B was on peripherals though I don't think that's true anymore? :confused:

the really sad thing is that the original 1.1 full-size B connector was the best connector the USB forum had come out with, it wasn't symmetrical and could easily be plugged in blindly. too bad you did it once to put the cable in your printer and then forgot about it. :shrug:

i think printers still use it (and, of course, do not include the cable but best buy will gladly sell you one for just $20!), but that's about it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Not only watched it, but I love it. What bro, hit a little to close to home?

pretty cool that you're reselling a phone you just bought for $40 more on the same market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

y

butt dickus posted:

didn't you buy that 5 from hotsauce two days ago?

you can take the player out of the game but you can't take the game out of the player. or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

I think google should sell a nexus phone for $200 off contract. That would suit my needs
sunder doesn't love you smythe. buy the hotsauce nexus 5. it might not have his semen on it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why does dyp seem to think their phones appreciate in value? just $410 for a used $400 phone! what a deal!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol they're doing the crypto without aes acceleration aren't they

of course they are

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao the nexus 6 has the hardware crypto modules, they just didn't include the drivers because they're proprietary from qualcomm. but open sores is the best am i right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

no, two year cycles just make it so you can't sell a million billion units in the off year
there is no off year. that would mean that a significant majority of customers all happened to start their contract in the same year, which doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao if your poo poo job has you working when you're not getting paid. what's it like being a literal slave? just lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gas pissflaps' posts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

as a surprise to absolutely no one, hotsauce bought one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i like the lockscreen stolen from ios

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kirk posted:

itt: people install a program on their telephones to let them browse the something awful dot com forums more easily

quoting from awful.ipa

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MononcQc posted:

cellphone provider apparently promised me to cut my bill by $20 a month if I go there and get a Galaxy S5 instead of my old POS Galaxy Nexus, and they don't charge me for the phone.

It's almost like they'd be paying me to get it off their hands. I guess I'll do it, unless the rep on the phone was just outright lying.

cool so they are paying you to replace your piece of poo poo with another piece of poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

snare posted:

I think I just made the killer app for Pebble. Dickbutt time!

Dickbutt rotates so his dick points at the hour and his arm points at the minute.

https://dev-portal.getpebble.com/applications/54789b6d6e0cd3c92300007f

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

google made it so bloatware apps are uninstallable in android loli

so the carriers are now installing system level apps that automatically reinstall the bloatware every reboot which because android will be all the drat time. bonus: they use whatever data connection is available including the (presumably per GB metered) cellular connection.

the best thing apple ever did was to hold the line on carrier apps.
it's a good thing no carrier would ever install an app that, for whatever reason, keeps mobile data running even on wifi causing you to burn through your entire data allotment in short order or anything.

Shere posted:

I recently grabbed the Droid Turbo and I'm loving it - my previous phone being a Galaxy Nexus if that gives you any perspective.

There's one hitch, though.

I watch a bit of Youtube in bed every night and I was using the Turbo since the screen looks amazing and all, and I'm connected full strength to my wifi. Suddenly, last night, I get an alert that I'm at 90% of my data usage for the month (2GB limit like a scrub), less than 8 days into the billing cycle. I check the data usage and, surprise, all that youtube you were watching while in range of your home's wifi is being streamed instead through 4G.

On my Gnex, when connected to wifi, it would completely shut off mobile data/4G. That's desired, like a thing that I figure most people want. Why is my Turbo not also doing this? Is there a setting somewhere? Am I going to have to use an app to tell my phone to automatically turn off 4G when connected to a wireless network? I'm a very light data user, so it's no big deal for me to just disable data for the rest of the billing cycle, except for when I need it, but I would really rather the phone behave like I want it to.

edit: I did find a setting in the youtube app in particular that disables HD video over mobile data, but that only band-aids the issue. If I'm connected to a wireless network, it should be using that first and foremost.

Shere posted:

I dug around a bit more and apparently the bloatware Caller ID app that Verizon so thoughtfully included with the phone forces the phone into using mobile data, even when Wifi is otherwise available/in-use. I just tested it both ways and only once I completely disabled the app did the 4G icon go gray and stay that way. I thought I disabled most of their nonsense but I suppose I missed one after all. Also explains the graphs being off, because the phone rightly thinks wireless is active, but a lovely app is forcing behavior that wouldn't normally occur.

It's a known bug/issue and they apparently have credited customers with additional data when they encounter it. Guess I'm giving them a call tomorrow.
"bug"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fabricated posted:

ahahah i get it

but yeah they both work out and she runs marathons pretty regularly

in case your wondering this is what the s5 active he owns looks like

I mean it feels really sturdy and well built but blargghhhhh

not pictured: the iron man widget my brother uses that makes teh phone sound like jarvis

sounds to me like he is the one who is owned

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pda: something mytar will never get

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, Cricket's issues are coming from the proxy it looks like.

If you don't want Cricket, GoPhone is the only other AT&T MVNO that's worth a poo poo as it's pretty much downhill from there.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...n-your-carrier/

It looks like Google updated the Nexus and GPE software update policy today.

No one knows if this is pertaining to devices like the LTE Nexus 7 and LTE Nexus 9 or to the phones themselves.

From the comments in the article, it looks like an update can also be put on hold if your SIM card is from a carrier that's putting the OTA on hold for their carrier-bought devices (ie the Nexus 6 and 4 in Australia are being held up from the Android 5.0 update if you leave the Telstra SIM card in. Once you take it out or swap to another SIM, you will be pushed the OTA immediately...Google and Telstra aren't saying anything about this).

Edit: To elaborate more, basically if the carrier finds a problem that doesn't work with their bloatware, they can tell Google to halt the update for only the devices with their service until the problem is fixed. If the problem lies in the OS itself, Google will push a new OTA to all devices, not just that carrier's devices. So if Verizon gets bitchy about MyVerizon breaking and the problem lies in 5.0, Google will push a 5.0.1 to every single Nexus device just to fix that one problem.

If you flash the OTA or the factory image, you're fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pointing a weapon at someone can and should be taken as a credible threat and even the most gun-loving areas would treat it as such. it's more than a little different than just carrying your gun to walmart on your back or holstered or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Especially weird since the iPad 2 shares the same basic internals as the iPad Mini but only the mini supports Siri.

can you explain how tehyt ook siri away from ipad 2 even though it never had it to begin with?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THC posted:

it could have got Siri, if apple wanted to, but it didn't. too bad. still better than nexus 7 or 10

yeah but thye didn't take it away like jerk mcjarkface is seeming to imply

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

lol. he even pissed off thermopyle with his calendar sperging

this guy is the best. he wants to use google calendar on his google phone but doesn't want to sync with google because reasons

worse was the guy who wants to use duckduckgo as his default search on his google phone. "hey i have this phone that tracks everywhere i go and everything i do BUT I DON'T WANT IT KNOWING WHAT I SEARCH FOR."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i dont think that guy likes me

ofc I dont think anyone else does either

i like you, lastinline

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

someone threw their android out of a car window and theyre my hero

that was tori, yeah. it wasn't at a wall tho. but yeah there is the guy in dyp who is concerned about the ability of his phones to survive being "fastballed" at the wall

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Partycat posted:

us windows phone users
lol

LastInLine posted:

what sort of person buys an htc when the option to not buy an htc exists?
same, but android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

why have you forsaken your lord and savior stebe
it was part of his yosmas "gift"

• Locked thread