Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5HLtNafg7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Awesome Welles posted:

gently caress all of you, ricky's laugh is god damned infectious and he's a pretty funny dude too :saddowns:

Funnily enough most of the stuff where Stephen Merchant and Karl aren't really involved is terrible. See: any movie he's ever starred in, Derek and his stand-up.

Karl is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIXcGiKXuT8

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbRGAQsuQlw

that woman's got her husbands gloves, and a pair of her own

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

now I feel like rewatching the first two seasons of an idiot abroad
thanks thread
rly, non-sarcastically, thanks

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Karl's got some moves, yo.

Panamaniac fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 11, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just finished season 1, was prepared to love it and...ugh.

Dude does nothing but bitch, without Ricky and Stephen actually there to prod him I didn't find it funny.

Someone told me it picks up in S2 though, confirm/deny?

Also he completely bitched the gently caress out in that Machu Picchu episode, and I can't believe they didn't call him on it in the finale.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Dude does nothing but bitch, without Ricky and Stephen actually there to prod him I didn't find it funny.

Also he completely bitched the gently caress out in that Machu Picchu episode, and I can't believe they didn't call him on it in the finale.

He gets braver but still bitches out at important moments.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Karl will, on occasion, "bottle it."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I liked when he went to Jordan and they had a security training team fake kidnap him but didn't tell him it was going to happen, he only learned of it from a voicemail that he received the day after.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fK7GVrHW0

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like the Rio episode where he runs away at from all the crowds and sweat and noise and drag queen hospitality and finds a secluded beach to watch the sun rise, just him and a guy setting up his beach concessions stand.

Then he realizes the concessions guy is only wearing a polo shirt. And every time he picks up a crate of beverages he flashes Karl his starfish.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 11, 2014

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3AKAP-bbI

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cthulu Carl posted:

I like the Rio episode where he runs away at from all the crowds and sweat and noise and drag queen hospitality and finds a secluded beach to watch the sun rise, just him and a guy setting up his beach concessions stand.

Then he realizes the concessions guy is only wearing a polo shirt. And every time he picks up a crate of beverages he flashes Karl his starfish.

lol i love that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

:thejoke:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

this is my favorite karl clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhVijGm8zY

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Karl = has stable, long term relationship.

Steve: Is a lanky goon

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

karl is nice and funny

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

When Karl throat sings, he reminds me of Popeye for some reason.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I'm not really sure you... understand... this show. :raise:

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I wanna know when you decide to use "me". Accent and dialect tricks that Obama doesn't want you to know about

"me" as a possessive is actually just the unstressed form of "my" and was quite widespread (it's the same as m' in m'lady) before some prescriptivists decided that it was too vulgar

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

I liked when he went to Jordan and they had a security training team fake kidnap him but didn't tell him it was going to happen, he only learned of it from a voicemail that he received the day after.

I had a hard time believing that segment because of his reaction during most of it. The rest of the episodes I never questioned, but that one in particular...?

I love Karl because he'll go between trying to be legitimately accepting (but still come off as rude and disgusted), and then panic mode where he drops the ball and runs off, and then has to be talked down.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was funny, but it made me completely hate Ricky after that. Its a scummy thing to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Red Suit posted:

It was funny, but it made me completely hate Ricky after that. Its a scummy thing to do.

His weird shrill harpy laugh didn't make you feel that way already?

Also theres hour or so long ricky gervais shows on youtube where they interview Karl about random things. It's more like a podcast radio show thing but they animated everything. Its cool to have running in the background or playing while driving.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avocados posted:

His weird shrill harpy laugh didn't make you feel that way already?

Also theres hour or so long ricky gervais shows on youtube where they interview Karl about random things. It's more like a podcast radio show thing but they animated everything. Its cool to have running in the background or playing while driving.

The Ricky Gervais show is amazing, especially Karl's Diary.

I have a few of Pilkington's books, and they're fantastic as well.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Has anyone seen that other show he did? The one that's like Idiot Abroad but Gervais and Merchant aren't in it.

Is that show any good?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Republican Vampire posted:

Has anyone seen that other show he did? The one that's like Idiot Abroad but Gervais and Merchant aren't in it.

Is that show any good?

idk but it sounds great

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Republican Vampire posted:

Is that show any good?

yeah

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRPiDSiWTwg

Karl Pilkington is the best, gently caress tall rear end Steve

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

ElGroucho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRPiDSiWTwg

Karl Pilkington is the best, gently caress tall rear end Steve

the best thing Steve Merchant has done was voiced the orb robot thing in Portal 2

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So I've gotta ask this-

Is Karl a comedic supergenius (like a reincarnation of Andy Kaufman), actually an idiot, or somewhere in-between?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

So I've gotta ask this-

Is Karl a comedic supergenius (like a reincarnation of Andy Kaufman), actually an idiot, or somewhere in-between?

I like to think of him as an idiot savant, but instead of being good at math, he makes people laugh

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

So I've gotta ask this-

he pretends to be dumber then he is but he's no genius

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?
Give 'em another 3%, and make 'em water.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I'm still loving waiting for Learn English with Ricky Gervais ep 2.

Ricky, you loving liar!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Davincie posted:

he pretends to be dumber then he is but he's no genius

He's smarter than Ricky makes him out to be basically.

Some of the things he says (like wondering if he's in charge of his brain or vice versa) are actually sort of true, if you look at them from a certain perspective.

Or "why do people take pictures of mimes?", he's actually pretty sharp, he just also happens to mix in some dumb stuff (people in glass houses have to answer the door).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Karl in a Film is 1000000x's better than anything Gervais has ever done and Karl did it all on his own.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
I also think he's become more self-aware about what makes him funny. His early days on XFM was more of his free-flowing thoughts and terrible radio bits (Rockbusters anyone?).

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think thats why people say S2 picks up, because he comes off more competent. S1 he comes off ultra dumb, but S2 less so.

He's pretty great.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Karl in a Film

6th Sense

Scrooge

The Graduate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im watching the moaning of life right now and its brilliant. he goes to goon favourite india and he gets a job to help at a wedding to sort out the grooms hat. instead of doing that he just goes and fucks around with the home theatre system with the grooms brother while the women of the wedding company get annoyed with him

• Locked thread