Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Also known as Amanda loving Palmer, says Wikipedia.

I can imagine that it is all about the context with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

VoxIsMyCowboy posted:

Also known as Amanda loving Palmer, says Wikipedia.

I can imagine that it is all about the context with that one.

Just checked. This isn't true.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I liked her spirited support of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev right after he and his gently caress up brother blew up that baby and that Chinese kid or whatever. I only wish she'd been a thing in 2001 so we could have gotten some cool "Osama is a father too" type poem. That probably would have started a lynch mob back then.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I don't really know who this woman is. Can we argue about Neil Gaiman again?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Chomp8645 posted:

I have Mexican neighbors and I swear they are fixing the same car every loving weekend. Like every Saturday I can look out my window and they are, fixing that same god drat car that must be in a perpetual state of disrepair.

:eyepop:
Holy poo poo THATS why our car never worked? I thought it was just because we were poor. But it was because we were poor and Mexican.

Yes Amanda Palmer seems like a self indulgent "artist" that is really just a dick

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I'll agree to disagree. His incredibly poor characterization of the title character despite 60+ issues of allowing us to view him at various times throughout history in many forms is honestly impressively incompetent, but the whole still works in spite of that because he (wisely) makes the actual page-to-page details about all the supporting players.

Counterpoint to him being a good script writer: the second Doctor Who episode he wrote "Nightmare in Silver." It was 1/3 awesome and let the lead actor ham it up and flex his muscles and the rest was another deeply embarrassing Cyberman story only this time they've got super-speed or some horseshit. "The Doctor's Wife" or whatever it was he wrote the year before was :krad: though.

Something tells me that Gaiman's life was on the strange side before he even met Palmer so I'm sure his kids were able to adapt alright. Hell they might even be enthused to have a stepmother who implicitly encourages them to be terrible human beings.

As soon as you said doctor who, I knew you would be wrong as hell, because who would subject themselves to doctor who

Sandman only suceeded because the artists made it somewhat interesting

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 12, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Then you're kind-of poo poo at reading hth

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Then you're kind-of poo poo at reading hth

Seriously though, why would you watch doctor who

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
yeah literally never heard of her until this thread.

the gay man is relatively more worthwhile to talk about

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

:eyepop:
Holy poo poo THATS why our car never worked? I thought it was just because we were poor. But it was because we were poor and Mexican.

The more you know.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ElGroucho posted:

As soon as you said doctor who, I knew you would be wrong as hell, because who would subject themselves to doctor who

Sandman only suceeded because the artists made it somewhat interesting

Not really. the overarching story was bad, but the 6-12 issue stories were really good. The only award he won was for a one issue story. Gaiman is really good at short stories.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Seriously though, why would you watch doctor who

To paraphrase good quotes from SA: At best it's like supporting a amateur sports team who rarely wins-- you get to watch them make asses of themselves and mock them 90% of the time and the other 10% is like a weird vindication that maybe you weren't wrong to waste your time with them. At worst it's like being stuck in an abusive relationship because those few glimmers of quality create an idea in your head that you can't quite shake even when you know the reality can never match it.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Not really. the overarching story was bad, but the 6-12 issue stories were really good. The only award he won was for a one issue story. Gaiman is really good at short stories.

Bingo. In fact many of the artists on Sandman were pretty lovely tbh. Even the very talented Sam Keith couldn't quite capture the tone Gaiman was going for and had to leave the book. Then for Book 9 Gaiman had this super cartoony artist come on board (most likely to ensure it was published in a timely manner) and it felt really jarring and undercut a lot of the narrative tension he spent 8 books trying to build. Book 10 was virtuoso art though, no lie.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

She and Lena Dunham need to get together and combine their awesome powers of making something out of dull, soggy, clumpy nothing. The resultant congealed creativity will echo throughout the known world with a resounding splat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Tao Jones posted:

She and Lena Dunham need to get together and combine their awesome powers of making something out of dull, soggy, clumpy nothing. The resultant congealed creativity will echo throughout the known world with a resounding, muffled "splat".

Honestly this could be worth it if it creates some sort of black hole of pure suck that even the art world can't deny.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mind the walrus posted:

There is more truth to this than I want to admit.
I don't even think there's anything wrong with writing YA and comic books. Kids books are a noble thing, kids need good books to read too. Then comic books and scripts, they sure do pay the bills. He probably made a heap of money from sandman.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

How many times do I have to say it: He's a good script writer, not a novelist
Maybe. Honestly he's got all the tools to write a really good novel, genre or otherwise. I think you're wrong about him not being able to characterize, he can do that well in book form. He does the cipher main character too much, that was the big thing I didn't like about American Gods. It probably works much better in Sandman.

I think maybe the problem is that he would need to spend more time per book to be really good. For example, I like Charlie Stross but IMO he suffers because he's churning out three plonks per year. Gaiman looks like he has a pretty packed schedule.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Lol, Lena Dunham actually makes tons of money and isn't some loopy dork who makes a career out of mooching. She wouldn't touch Amanda Palmer with a chocolate-covered pretzel stick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tsinava posted:

She's gross.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

I don't even think there's anything wrong with writing YA and comic books. Kids books are a noble thing, kids need good books to read too. Then comic books and scripts, they sure do pay the bills. He probably made a heap of money from sandman.

Maybe. Honestly he's got all the tools to write a really good novel, genre or otherwise. I think you're wrong about him not being able to characterize, he can do that well in book form. He does the cipher main character too much, that was the big thing I didn't like about American Gods. It probably works much better in Sandman.

I think maybe the problem is that he would need to spend more time per book to be really good. For example, I like Charlie Stross but IMO he suffers because he's churning out three plonks per year. Gaiman looks like he has a pretty packed schedule.

Gaiman isn't a good novelist. American Gods could have been a good story, and the one about the spider god was all over the place. His last novel was ok, but it would have worked much better as a short story. He's a good writer, he just wants to be something that he isn't. His short stories are great, his novels are mediocre.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

Then comic books and scripts, they sure do pay the bills. He probably made a heap of money from sandman.

This is weirdly patronizing since comic books really don't pay for poo poo and Gaiman was clearly using them as a stepping stone to get to script-writing and novels, although he may have been the exception since Sandman was the flagship book of DC's Veritgo line during an economic bubble in the comics world. I'm reminded of a bit of trivia-- for years people assumed the Iain Banks was publishing sci-fi as a way to fund his literary career, but after he died it came out that his literary work made up the bulk of his book sales by a wide margin and that the sci-fi stuff was in fact a labor of love. The whole literary vs. genre debate really isn't as cut and dry as intuition would tell us.

You are right that there is a place for Genuinely Good Kid's and YA Books and Gaiman definitely delivers on that front. Instructions and the Graveyard Book are both tits and when I worked in a bookstore I got more than a few parents and kids on-board with a "fun" reading project thanks to them.

Klyith posted:

He does the cipher main character too much, that was the big thing I didn't like about American Gods. It probably works much better in Sandman.

In Sandman-- a series which I do love--it only works because his cipher main character is literally an all-powerful lord of metaphysics who is shown to be above almost all the Gods and Monsters of Existence save for like Lucifer and God. Iirc he only dies because he just lets the Greek Furies kill him because he feels guilty about some poo poo but isn't willing to actually nut up and change his ways. So having a cipher who can literally slot in and out of nearly every situation and is almost always restricted by bullshit makes him more of a constant than a protagonist, which is why the overall narrative thrust of the books as some sort-of character piece at the end fall so flat.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

You're right that he'll never write a Blood Meridian, but then again how many people loving do?

indeed, very few. but most dont put on airs toward it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Neil Gayman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

indeed, very few. but most dont put on airs toward it.

Eh I can cut ambition some slack. He's a lot closer than most popular writers. Besides by some accounts I've heard on SA his wife cucks him all the time, so let the poor bastard have his dreams.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Last Buffalo posted:

Lol, Lena Dunham actually makes tons of money and isn't some loopy dork who makes a career out of mooching. She wouldn't touch Amanda Palmer with a chocolate-covered pretzel stick.

yeah looks like her family is relatively well off but probably still not quite the caliber of family the dunhams associate with

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Is Lena Dunham the chick from Game of Thrones or is that a different Lena?

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

im gay, man

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
It must suck to be this much of an attention whore, but even a thread making fun of you turns in to Gaiman talk, and you are just mentioned as his wife, who has a face like a canker-sore became human and lived life as a gutter punk

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Last Buffalo posted:

they should fistfight, imo

e: it would look a lot like the Lincoln/Douglas debates but as a shrieking catfight

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 12, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Last Buffalo posted:

Compared negatively to Dunham, pretty sure I would just end myself immediately

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Eh I can cut ambition some slack. He's a lot closer than most popular writers. Besides by some accounts I've heard on SA his wife cucks him all the time, so let the poor bastard have his dreams.

ah i can swing that, poor fucker

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Here check this out, you'll love it. Just in time for Christmas, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2Yjp8EvSI

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
For like ten loving years HBO was supposed to make a miniseries of American Gods. What the gently caress HBO?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Book Excerpt: ‘The Art Of Asking’
The sudden talk about Lena Dunham ITT is actually on topic. Another writer to whom everything is a tampon metaphor.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Tao Jones posted:

So she is definitely loving that gay dude, right?

Also, she is trying to sound like that girl from Crass, but she is bad, and not bad in the punk way

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

For like ten loving years HBO was supposed to make a miniseries of American Gods. What the gently caress HBO?

"lol gently caress DC" - after Iron Man

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Tao Jones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baExq6xNhQ8
3 million viewers can't be wrong! Even housewives prefer the taste of GWAR over the sour garbage that is the Dresden Dolls

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't been happy in years, op.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol have you heard this singer nico shes cool -amanda palmer

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013