Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

SaltLick posted:

i didnt know it was slam whaling. baller

the "slam whale" meme :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Hogge Wild posted:

Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers' hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

Herman Melville's Moby dick

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Shoddy timekeeping from ESA.

Shoddy.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
so basically they think it landed, bounced off, spun around, and landed again, but the lander isn't in contact with Rosetta until it does more maneuvering over the next few hours

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

darkwing cuck posted:

so basically they think it landed, bounced off, spun around, and landed again

That's correct. Latest update said it'll be called the Rosetta Comăneci Floor Routine. "I survived" shirts being made as we speak.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
One step closer to weaponizing comets. I personally can't wait.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Lazer Monkey posted:

Cool graphic tool, pertaining to Rosetta http://sci.esa.int/where_is_rosetta/

They did a great job on the EPIC SPACE MUSIC.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

quote:

"We are extremely happy," he said. "To get the signal it had touched the surface was a major achievement -- it was quite extraordinary. Philae is already taking measurements, sniffing the comet."

quote:

"No one has ever gotten data like Rosetta has gotten. No one has ever been able to land on a comet the way Philae just did."

quote:

"Even without Philae, we still have Rosetta in orbit around a comet, giving the ability to watch it at close quarters. There will be a lot of science from this,"

This sounds like a PR rep telling an investor meeting the failure of their project isn't really a failure. :(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bularin posted:

This sounds like a PR rep telling an investor meeting the failure of their project isn't really a failure. :(

That's because it isn't a failure. For science at least.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Not being anchored won't prevent Philae snapping some cool pictures will it? Because that's all 99.9% of people are actually bothered about.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
it was aliens i tells ya

they snapped the cables to prevent us from accessing their ship

MOKED SALMO
Feb 2, 2009

Bularin posted:

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Not being anchored won't prevent Philae snapping some cool pictures will it? Because that's all 99.9% of people are actually bothered about.

I don't think Philae is considered lost yet, just to have bounced away from the nominal landing site. As long as it ended up upright it probably doesn't have to be anchored to do most of its tasks other than the drilling.

And regarding Philae's share of the mission, I think it was something like 1/5th of the budget, so even if it's lost it doesn't detract too much from the Rosetta mission as a whole. Plus, the problems it had provide very useful information for future attempts.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
The science channel coverage is pretty weak, nothing live about it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

From BBC News:

quote:

The robot probe Philae that made a historic comet landing is now stable after initially failing to attach to the surface, and is sending pictures.

European Space Agency scientists say they are now trying to find out where the probe is on the comet.

Engineers say it may have bounced hundreds of metres back off the surface after first touching down.
Controllers have now re-established radio communication with the probe and are retrieving pictures from it.

These show the feet of the lander and the wider cometscape.

There's a live ESA TV report from Day 1 on a comet at 13:00 GMT / 14:00 CET today, so we should see some of the photos then.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

none of us will ever experience a feeling of relief as profound as the rosetta engineers are feeling right now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Torka posted:

none of us will ever experience a feeling of relief as profound as the rosetta engineers are feeling right now

I hope they all get a drink after this. :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

First photo from the lander

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 13, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

First actual photo from the comet surface:

More live news from The Guardian here.

Not necessarily good news though...

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

SHISHKABOB posted:

let's say a dust grain is a million times less massive than a person, i.e. 100kg*10^-6 = 0.001kg. Let's say the dust grain is 1 mm away from you (also you are a point mass).

F = GmM/r^2 = (6.67x10^-11)(100)(0.001)/(0.001)^2 = 0.00000667 Newtons.

a = F/m = 0.00000667/100 = 0.0000000667 m/s^2

hmm yes

lol you type all casual like in every thread like you 'get' it but the moment someone talks about 'science' you gotta pounce about poo poo nobody cares about

what a loser (also you are a pointless mass)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Press briefing starting now:

http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

New photos!

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Horror movie plottwist: Philae bounces again, flies off into space but still sending out pictures: A gigantic alien fleet appears.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Stephan Ulamec speaking. He’s Philae lander manager at the DLR German space centre

quote:

"We rebounded at 38 cm/s, probably about a kilometer. Then another small jump 3 cm/s for 7 minutes.

Jean-Pierre Bibring: He is the principal investigator responsible for the CIVA camera that has been taking selfies of Rosetta and the comet.

quote:

"We are almost vertical, with one foot in "open air" (of course there is no air), two feet on the ground."

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Doesn't sound like Philae will survive very long :smith:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Kilmers Elbow posted:

yeah. apparently they bounced into the shadows as well and are getting about 7 times less sunlight/solar power than they expected.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kilmers Elbow posted:

:rip:

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Verge gonna verge

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213819/your-bowling-shirt-is-holding-back-progress

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
*wears ugly shirt
*halts women's progress worldwide

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ninja fetus posted:

*wears ugly shirt

That's almost as bad as CERN announcing the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle in Comic Sans.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ninja fetus posted:

*wears ugly shirt

fermun posted:

From last night's Rosetta mission, Rosetta Probe project scientist Matt Taylor. This is the dude's most important day of his career, he is doing an interview for an international news item, and decides to dress like this. God drat that's ugly.

According to his Twitter timeline, he put that on just for the interview, had been dressed like this before and then after interview:

So apparently he did it because he thought it looked good or maybe he just wanted to attract some attention, get a news story about him. Whichever, guy seems like something of a douchebag.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i wonder why???

D&D never fails to deliver.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You have to admit, he picked a shirt that went perfectly with those socks.

I think.

I'm a dude and don't really know.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I think the point is to blur the point where the tats end and the shirt begins.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

D&D never fails to deliver.

Wasn't the shirt made by his friend's wife or something like that?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
We landed an object on a very small rock moving very fast a long way from Earth, and the discussion is this guy's shirt?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well rocks arent very exciting

there werent even any aliens on the rock or anythin

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

well rocks arent very exciting

there werent even any aliens on the rock or anythin

The chosen landing site was very exciting. It had a poster of women in swimsuits on it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

CaptainQuirk posted:

Wasn't the shirt made by his friend's wife or something like that?

It was a birthday gift to him from Elly Prizeman:

Don't know how they know each other.

edit: the image is from her twitter where she tells about it: https://twitter.com/ellypriZeMaN/status/532927131098300416

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 14, 2014

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

It was a birthday gift to him from Elly Prizeman:

Don't know how they know each other.

I like her dress

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

sexy young infidel posted:

I like her dress

if he'd worn that I doubt we'd hear as much hubbub

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

It appears that contact has been re-established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Haven't read a single post itt, has anyone brought up the fact it looks like a big chicken drumstick? I'm not even black.

• Locked thread