Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Legend of Grimrock 2 is the sequel to the successful indie title from a couple years back. This is a dungeon crawler in the same vein as eye of the beholder or the old might and magic games, gameplay takes place on a grid, everything is realtime so you run around and attack with your party while trying to dodge the enemies. The dungeon, or in this case island, is full of traps and puzzles and secrets to be found. They start out easy but get progressively harder to the point where you just start rubbing your face on every wall to find that switch that HAS to be here somewhere.

Legend of Grimrock the first was one of my favorite games. I absolutely adore every moment of it and I was waiting in a nervous excitement for the sequel for some time. See they said early in development that this game was going to take place outside, and if there's one thing I've seen time and again it's that 'dungeon crawler' and 'outside' don't mix very well. The game takes place on a grid. How can you make a grid look natural outside? Hills don't have nice square corners like the hallways from the first game. I was very worried that the sequel would not live up to what I was hoping for but I'm very glad to say that I was quite wrong. The sequel is a hands down better game than the first, it improves on it in almost every way without forgetting what made the first game good like some other sequels. From the moment I saw the opening cutscene and stepped onto the beach I knew everything was going to be okay.

Without further adieu, episode one.

Episode List

Episode 1 - Youtube
Episode 2 - Youtube
Episode 3 - Youtube
Episode 4 - Youtube
Episode 5 - Youtube
Episode 6 - Youtube
Episode 7 - Youtube
Episode 8 - Youtube
Episode 9 - Youtube
Episode 10 - Youtube
Episode 11 - Youtube
Episode 12 - Youtube
Episode 13 - Youtube
Episode 14 - Youtube
Episode 15 - Youtube
Episode 16 - Youtube
Episode 17 - Youtube
Episode 18 - Youtube

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Minotaur -- Charles Oxisol
Insectoid -- Zhuang Zhou
Farmer -- Frank West
Ratling -- Rizzo

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cow - LL Cow J
Insectoid - Captain BEEEEES
Farmer - J Edgar Hoover
Rat - Nice Rat, Idiot

In Jokes and strange strange references :)

Is this a no rock left behind run?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 12, 2014

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
Did someone say incredibly relevant pop culture references? :v:

Cow - Scut Farkus
Insectoid - Flick
Farmer - The Old Man
Rat - Ralphie

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Cow - LL Cow J
Farmer - Ol' McDonald
Rat - Rizzo

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Oh man I am so excited to see this LP starting already :allears: I had actually been rewatching the original Grimrock LP a few days ago just for fun, and was wondering when this might start up. Having it arrive early is just icing on the cake.

As for naming our unlucky party of misfits, if the farmer isn't named some variation of Hoover McGee, I will be sorely disappointed in you all.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ground floor for this awesomeness.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
What other Dungeon Crawlers have you seen recently? I was a big fan of Etrian Odyssey on the DS (and other dungeon crawlers that came out for it, like Dark Spire and a couple of games in the SMT line), but the only one I can remember on PC after LoG1 is Paper Sorcerer which was decent-ish. Maybe I should just get a 3DS and scratch that itch.

E: It would be cool if you showed the map every so often. It looked rather nice. Also, I have terrible spatial orientation and it helps.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 12, 2014

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Dooky Dingo posted:

Cow - LL Cow J
Farmer - Ol' McDonald
Rat - Rizzo

I second these.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Well, first of all I am pretty hyped to see how many secrets I missed, secondly

Cow - LL Cow J is the only way to go
Insectoid - TARANCHOOLA
Farmer - I forget the character limit but if "I EXHERT STRESS WHEN I EXPORT WHEAT" is too long I'll go with Turnip the Bass
Rat - Snoop Mouse

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I have a question. I can run the original LoG with only a slight slowdown at max settings. Would I be able to run LoG 2 even with it taking place in open environments and such?

POTATO BLIGHT
Oct 16, 2007
Cow - LL Cow J
Insectoid - Bee Witched
Farmer - Joey Chestnut
Rat - Nicodemus

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Dooky Dingo posted:

Cow - LL Cow J
Farmer - Ol' McDonald
Rat - Rizzo

I'm going to make life easy/difficult by adding a vote to the pile.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blackray Jack posted:

I have a question. I can run the original LoG with only a slight slowdown at max settings. Would I be able to run LoG 2 even with it taking place in open environments and such?

Should be fine. I don't think the requirements increased much at all, if any. I'm running on the same PC I recorded the original LP on and while it does run slightly worse (while recording) it's hardly noticeable.

Except for when I left the cage for some reason, that was hilarious.

Markovnikov posted:

What other Dungeon Crawlers have you seen recently? I was a big fan of Etrian Odyssey on the DS (and other dungeon crawlers that came out for it, like Dark Spire and a couple of games in the SMT line), but the only one I can remember on PC after LoG1 is Paper Sorcerer which was decent-ish. Maybe I should just get a 3DS and scratch that itch.

E: It would be cool if you showed the map every so often. It looked rather nice. Also, I have terrible spatial orientation and it helps.

I'll make a point about the map.

As far as other dungeon crawler I've played and somehwat enjoyed, all on steam because I don't own any consoles:

Paper Sorcerer - Perfectly adequate, nothing really special. I played for awhile and then died and lost about an hours worth of progress because I forgot to save, and that was enough to make me stop playing.

Might and Magic X Legacy - Eh. I like this whole genre so I enjoy the game. The combat is very stale however, once you engage with an enemy you are stuck and cannot move until either you die or they die, yet if another enemy comes up and attacks you they will get to fight you at the same time, getting in free hits each combat round. The tuning was tight enough to where this was instant death so every combat encounter was basically engaging where you only had to fight a single group of enemies at a time, killing them (barely, the combat was wicked overtuned) using some of your massive supply of healing potions which you were forced to carry around, and doing it again. The dungeons weren't interesting enough for me to deal with the tedious combat for too long and I eventually stopped playing.

Heroes of a Broken Land - This one is probably my favorite. The dungeons are simple with very few real puzzles which makes sense because everything is procedurely generated. It plays kind of like a 4X game except you control multiple groups of adventurers who are woring to save the world. You manage where each group goes on a day to day basis, sometimes they're just collecting treasure and doing quests on the over map and sometimes you enter dungeons and control them similar to legend of grimrock. Like Might and Magic Legacy when you encounter an enemy you are locked into battle with them however you can't be flanked by other monsters. The only reason I didn't LP this game is that the combat is way too difficult. I understand that when you don't have any active reflex based combat the difficulty has to come from the encounters themselves but when an enemy 4 levels below my party can take 75% of everybody's hp off in a single move that he can do every turn if RNG decides is just stupid. I quit when I realized the only way to clear the higher level dungeons was to be so grossly over leveled that it would take forever to get there.

Honorable mention:

Lords of Xulima - This isn't really a dungeon crawling game in the same way Legend of Grimrock is, it's more like a classic RPG with old school combat that resembles might and magic, but thats enough for me because this game is fantastic. It's only early access and the only thing keeping me from LPing it is A. it's not release yet, and B. it would be a god awful video LP and screenshot LPs take work. But it's a really really good game.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 12, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Cow - LL Cow J
Insectoid - Captain Doctor BEEEEES (or Nic Cage)
Farmer - Jimmy Clem
Rat - Rizzo

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Cow - LL Cow J
Insectoid - Doctor BEEEEEEEEEEES
Farmer - Turnip the Bass
Rat - Snoop Mouse

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looks like I may have been too obtuse with my pun. Oxisol is a classification of soil, so Charles Oxisol is ground chuck. So much for adding a bit of classy dad joke to this bandwagon.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Cow - LL Cow J
Insectoid - Goldblum
Farmer - Ol'McDonald
Rat - Rizzo

The first exposure I ever had to these games was through your LP. I cannot describe how happy I am to see you doing this one as well!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

POTATO BLIGHT posted:

Insectoid - Bee Witched

this is a much better Insect name.

Fortunately, this is not a democracy Grimrock thread, so we all get to blame Agent for our lovely names instead of the thread :)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hey Agent, could you put a link to the previous Grimrock LP in the OP? You mentioned it somewhere in the video but I can't remember where you said it was, and it's a half hour long video to re-watch to find that.

EDIT: Ah, it is in the LP Archive, easy enough. Still, a link in the OP is a good idea anyway, for people even lazier than me.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So combat in Grimrock 2, superficially its the same as in Grimrock 1. But as we've been able to see with the little blue spear guys enemy behavior is quite a bit different. They'll dodge, jump backward etc. More importantly some have moves that instantly turn them to a side and attack or attack 180 degree arcs. There is also now monsters that have both ranged and melee attacks.

Now I'm seeing normal difficulty for the first time here because I started this game on hard. It looks like on normal you can actually afford a hit or two, or even quite a few considering the way you handled those turtles. On hard that first turtle will happily murder your whole group if you think you can take it head on.

Now combined with the new realities of combat turns many encounters in Grimrock 2 on hard feel like a horrible situation. You can't stand in front of the monsters. But you shouldn't try the sides of monsters either. That will lead to sideswipes or instantly turning around. Finally running away and kiting leads to throwing knives in your back.

Its not quite that bad, most enemies don't have the whole range but it still often feels like combat is a bit of a between a rock and a hard place situation.

Which then ironically is solved by square dancing EVEN HARDER. Stand in place until a monster decides to move, get 2 swipes in during its move animation because it can't attack during another animation. Then move yourself before their move finishes. Doesn't work on everything but works on enough things. And that then takes all the excitement out of the new monster behaviors for those things it works on.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 12, 2014

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Minotaur - LL Cow J
Insectoid - Nic Cage
Farmer - Donnel
Rat - Lester (God drat it you made me remember Beakman's World.)

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I know Agent will be discussing the new monster behaviors as they show up. Due to its more modern sensibilities in a lot of ways, Grimrock's combat is simultaneously more active while being significantly simpler than previous iterations of the genre. Since it's real-time, the complexities of a turn-based first-person dungeon crawler (Akabaleth, Wizardry, etc) get shelved because there just isn't enough time to respond in a complex way. If you look at Eye of the Beholder, which I will keep bringing up and never shut the gently caress up about, your interface is basically the same in terms of combat. Your party has hands, you put weapons in hands, you click on the weapon to swing. Guys in back can't attack except with magic or ranged attacks, and using magic in EotB requires you to select a spell from a menu.

The main difference, as mentioned in the first Grimrock LP, is that Eye of the Beholder expects you to rub your face into the enemy and swing and get hit. Circle-strafing enemies is still equally viable as a strategy in Eye of the Beholder as it is in Grimrock - the difference is that doing so makes the old TSR games trivially easy and not doing so makes Grimrock nearly impossible. It's the one real mechanic you have to do in Grimrock, which is why I say that it's simpler - no managing spells, item/consumable management is highly simplified, etc.

On the flipside, making movement in combat an active force did a lot to make positioning and where fights happen matter actually interesting in Grimrock (at least for a while), and Grimrock 2 is mixing it up by requiring the player to experiment with monster behaviors to determine how to safely attack them. Positioning was only relevant in EotB insofar as it prevented you from being flanked by multiple enemy groups or determined whether you could accidentally lightning bolt yourself.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Minotaur - Ayn Rand
Insectoid - Bugaboo
Farmer - Kramer
Rat - Rats off to ya!

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 12, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The insectoid should clearly be called 'Spelling Bee'

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Neruz posted:

The insectoid should clearly be called 'Spelling Bee'

This is good.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Minotaur: LL Cow J
Insectoid: Spelling Bee
Farmer: Whatevs
Rat: Johnny

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I was reading some class build guides on the official forums, apparently an alchemist can be an excellent backup mage since their mana levels are on par with a full mage. I've watched parts of another playthrough of this and it looks like a long game. Good luck to you sirs.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Insectoid: Buzz
Farmer: Smash Mouth Eat The Eggs/Guy Fierri
Skaven: Rizzo

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Farmer: Smash Mouth Eat The Eggs
Skaven: Reginald Allweathers, Esq

An Esoteric Cult
Nov 12, 2010
Farmer: Smash Mouth
Skaven: Nice Rat, Idiot

I liked Ndamukow Moo more than LL Cow J though. :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Names: whatever as long as the rat is named :smugrat:.

Also, you switch that bug to Quick right now :argh:

And stop feeding racial food to a human :rant:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 12, 2014

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Insectoid: *SLAP*
Farmer: Farmer Joe
Skaven: RIP

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Minotaur: Whopper
Insectoid: Brundle
Farmer: Chunk
Skaven: Brisby

GoodVsEvil
Jan 4, 2010

Dooky Dingo posted:

Cow - LL Cow J
Farmer - Ol' McDonald
Rat - Rizzo

Definitely this!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

No lizards in this party??? Worst Grimrock party. Lizards own. My all lizard team loving rolled through this game. That said, I played on easy because I'm super bad at the combat in this and the previous game, so I used the lizards to be able to tank magical hits I was too bad to avoid :shobon:

Barbarians are insanely overpowered and I look forward to seeing that cow murder everyone and everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Clearly the farmer's name has to be Munchkin.

Fatbot
Oct 17, 2012
I made some portraits for our heroes:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ms298br99xct4du/LLCowJ_Male.tga

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zec59mq45x70cll/HardGay_Male.tga

http://www.mediafire.com/download/acgj6csxpfa6hc6/HardGay2_Male.tga

The minotaur has to be named LL Cow J or at least LL Cow J Junior.

Fatbot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 13, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Insectoid: Aldrin
Farmer: Schrute
Skaven: Thaumraturge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Loved the original LP so definitely looking forward to this!

voting on names:

Cow: LL Cow J
The Rest: Bob (name them all Bob)

• Locked thread