Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I know Agent will be discussing the new monster behaviors as they show up. Due to its more modern sensibilities in a lot of ways, Grimrock's combat is simultaneously more active while being significantly simpler than previous iterations of the genre. Since it's real-time, the complexities of a turn-based first-person dungeon crawler (Akabaleth, Wizardry, etc) get shelved because there just isn't enough time to respond in a complex way. If you look at Eye of the Beholder, which I will keep bringing up and never shut the gently caress up about, your interface is basically the same in terms of combat. Your party has hands, you put weapons in hands, you click on the weapon to swing. Guys in back can't attack except with magic or ranged attacks, and using magic in EotB requires you to select a spell from a menu.

The main difference, as mentioned in the first Grimrock LP, is that Eye of the Beholder expects you to rub your face into the enemy and swing and get hit. Circle-strafing enemies is still equally viable as a strategy in Eye of the Beholder as it is in Grimrock - the difference is that doing so makes the old TSR games trivially easy and not doing so makes Grimrock nearly impossible. It's the one real mechanic you have to do in Grimrock, which is why I say that it's simpler - no managing spells, item/consumable management is highly simplified, etc.

On the flipside, making movement in combat an active force did a lot to make positioning and where fights happen matter actually interesting in Grimrock (at least for a while), and Grimrock 2 is mixing it up by requiring the player to experiment with monster behaviors to determine how to safely attack them. Positioning was only relevant in EotB insofar as it prevented you from being flanked by multiple enemy groups or determined whether you could accidentally lightning bolt yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

namad posted:

Do you have any plans to make the videos listed later? I found it a lot easier to notice when you'd updated your Grimrock 1 thread when I was able to see the listed new videos appear on youtube.

Or have you decided youtube is even more evil than it was back then and to stick purely unlisted?

The video is unlisted because it's actually on my channel for reasons. Once Agent fixes whatever is causing him to not be able to upload to his own channel, I'm sure he'll list the videos properly.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Decayer posted:

Some things:
1. Maps are indeed 32x32 squares.

I loving knew it.

Also, for obvious reasons, don't panic, Agent is just gone for the holiday week and things will resume whenever.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

3.5 is fundamentally broken out of the box, see: Grappling, Wizards, CoDzilla, TWF, and what the gently caress is the Fighter supposed to even do?

You know how Agent goes :allears: when people pause a video to post about a thing that he later covers in the video itself?

I really enjoy it when people talk about CoDzilla or complain about the Wizards/Fighter dynamic in 3.5/Pathfinder.
:allears:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Is it just me, or is the new episode non-HD?

Youtube's still processing it, so if you want to watch it in HD, check back in a bit.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Well, Olesh isn't a child, but we're certain that he is indeed small/short. Pretty sure he's a brunette though.

I used to be blonde as hell when I was a kid, then it started getting buzzed, and then when I grew it out a bit for my brother's wedding, it came back a lot darker than before, so who knows. I've had my hair described both ways.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Chuu posted:

I could sperg out so hard about Dragonrealms, it's the one MUD I played to death. When I finally got sick of the game about 15 years ago, I sold my character for quite a bit of money since it was one of the highest level characters with some extreemly rare items. I have always regretted this.

A year or two ago my curiosity got the best of me, and I was wondering if the game was still around, if the character was still around, and if there was some chance I could get it back. It turns out the guy who bought my character still plays, and is one of those people who met their partner in-game, had one of those huge in-game weddings, and spend a lot of time in game together.

I don't really know how I am supposed to feel about that. I spent enough time and was young enough I still feel connected to the character, but it's definitely his identity now, not mine.

People on the outside (except maybe people who play EVE Online) really wouldn't understand - high level characters inevitably sold for ludicrous amounts of money, because the sheer time investment required to level up a character was measured in years. There was no way to really speed the process up besides making it more efficient (training more skills simultaneously). The difference between a character in the top 1% and the top 0.1% in terms of sale value was the difference between a couple hundred dollars and a couple thousand.

There are a lot of fundamental issues with the way DR is run and operated that make a return to its glory days more or less impossible. Much like the original UO, it couldn't possibly be successful nowadays and probably the only reason the company even still exists is because the overhead of actually running the games has to be so tiny by modern standards. Despite all of that, back in its heyday DR was fun. If someone somehow was able to miraculously set up a server running the version of DR that existed ~16 years ago, I'd probably be playing it semi-regularly still.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Thadius posted:

A case can be made for the Spirit Mirror amulet, swapping it onto Smash Mouth as needed so he needs to hork less food down to gain a level. Food eventually is going to be rare again, and I think it stacks with his humanness and fast learner trait? Not sure. I also went with the Gold Vault, and you probably should too. Without any Water Magic, its Dispel ability that doesn't use charges could be useful in the hands of Spelling Bee, in case you came across something that LL Cow J just couldn't crush.

Like you might a few episodes from now. Heck, with just Concentration One as a requirement, that stick could even find a home in the hands of Rizzo.

Steel Vault is meh, considering you're going for the heavy unique sets, and Spelling Bee doesn't really use his swording anymore.

Floral Vault can just screw right off. There are other copies of that cloak, and Food = XP when you have a Farmer around, so that bracelet is like the game actively trolling you. Especially if you put more points into the Bee's Concentration skill, thus rendering it totally worthless via natural Energy Regen rates. I mean yeah, an extra 20% would be nice, but not at the expense of all your food.

We talked about it in the video as maybe being a secondary option for Rizzo. To some degree I think that guns (and ranged attacks in general) just aren't as good as maybe they could stand to be, which is a real shame. To some extent that's because your back row attackers _aren't_ really intended to contribute all that much, but with the new skills system there really isn't any reason why that should be the case - anyone can take noodley arms, and while not to knock Spelling Bee, there's not a lot of reason to put the caster in the front row. Throwing weapons are still great, but you can't really have two thrown weapon characters because there's only so much decent ammo to go around.

I think it's a pretty good triumph of design that it's not possible to have everything - you're tacitly encouraged to diversify, but you've got multiple options for casters, frontliners, and backliners who all can contribute meaningfully in different ways. You aren't even required to have a caster, although it's still a good idea.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

senrath posted:

What, you mean the "reward" for getting to the end of the video?

Skipping all the way to the end doesn't count.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Okay so now that that's done,

April Fools! The first fifteen minutes of the video are the actual episode. For those who aren't already aware, the video jump cuts to the party surrounded and beat to death by giant spiders on a loop after that.

Approximately 150 seconds after that, the game audio is dampened and there's about 30 minutes of me playing piano over the spiders. We guessed that two and a half minutes would be just about enough time that people watching the video would assume that there wasn't anything else and the average person would close the video. Then we decided to see whether or not anyone caught it by the time I was done with work.

We, uh, may have gotten a little impatient and started dropping hints earlier than originally planned.

Anyway, I have all of the tracks from the video cut up as separate MP3s and I'll get around to posting them sometime this weekend. I'd like to think that it was a Good Joke.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Weeks later, the files are cut and uploaded. This should be up until 4/24, so if anyone has a better hosting option feel free to rehost.

Seriously, work has been such bullshit lately.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

shalafi4 posted:

you could take the audio files and upload them to soundcloud?

Let's just sum up the reason why not as "technically against Soundcloud's TOS" and leave it at that. If anyone wishes to rehost it themselves in a more long-term fashion or take it upon themselves to host it on soundcloud anonymously, that's fine, but the legal state of performing covers or arrangements of copyrighted music (even for free) is a murky area and I don't want to get involved with liability issues arising from widespread sharing, even if the odds are incredibly unlikely.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

How would you control it effectively? Remember that it is real-time and not turn-based, so speed plays a factor. The only way I could see it work would be to have a set of virtual arrows on the left side of the screen for movement, and then you could tap the portraits on the right side to attack etc.

But this approach has already been done many years ago:

<EYE OF THE MOTHERFUCKING BEHOLDER>

Of course, those games used the mouse, not a touchscreen, but the idea is still clunky and unwieldy.

I think a better question would be "what would being on a tablet add to Grimrock 2?", and I believe the answer is "nothing". However, there is a touchscreen mode in the options menu, which lets you play the game on PC-based tablet. And it is both clunky and unwieldy.

There's no compelling reason why the game shouldn't run perfectly well on a tablet. You have two hands, and aside from movement all controls are done with the mouse. An EOTB-style movement compass and appropriate multi-touch support (to enable to you manage movement while also interacting with the rest of the screen) is all that would be required.

Making it feel and behave well takes additional work, sure, but there's no basic UI/design reason why it shouldn't be a perfectly fine way to play the game - it's implementation that's the issue.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

Are you just at the Crystal Mines way later than you should be, because those spiders seem like a bit of a cake walk at this point in the game?

Also, being a Canadian that lives in Australia, I can honestly say that the spiders here are just a tiny bit smaller than the ones in that last video, but on the other side, their poison is like infinity times more deadly

We talked about this a little bit in the sewer video, but the game is essentially a lot less linear and more open than the first game. There's benefits and drawbacks, but one of the drawbacks is that since you could theoretically head to pretty much any area in any order, and there's no indication of which way is "correct" or "easiest", it's possible to head to the hardest areas first and end up treating the remainder as a cakewalk - and if even the "hardest" areas are possible to do out of the gate, you don't get the same kind of logical difficulty progression like you would in the first game, where the progression is linear and predictable.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Chuu posted:

That was one of the most intense boss fights I've seen in a long time. Doubly impressive coming out of this genre.

Hope the rest of them aren't a letdown.

Rest of them? Didn't you see the video? LP's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Agent355 posted:

The funny thing with Olesh's commentary is that at some point the girl's voice refers to Olesh in the third person. Which I'm pretty sure I never heard in the skype call, which makes me think Olesh really did sit Strippedfrog down and make her record 45 minutes of audio just for a joke. Which is some serious dedication.

This is why I mysteriously couldn't upload my audio for him right away. I needed time to sit down and have my wife rerecord it. Otherwise it would have been posted a day earlier.

• Locked thread