Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
A few fun things to note:

In duels, Time & Tide only costs 1 WP in duels, and can be used with only taking one durability point off your main weapon. On top of that, it also has a really good chance of Instant Death attached, making staves a really good go-to weapon for duels.

If you don't mind doing events out of order, it is IMMENSELY useful to do Wil's first scenario before Gustave's cave exploration, if only because you'll have all these amazing artes sparked for Gustave and Kelvin. Being able to equip all the best stuff on those two also helps for their portion of the game, and just makes mincemeat of the game itself.

You know how in Duels you can spark certain attacks if you put in the right combination? The game seems to prefer using combinations you know first, which can be frustrating for some skills. For example: Jewel Strike is Stone-Water-Backslash-Backslash. Water Hammer and Lawnmower are Stone-Water and Backslash-Backslash. Guess which one Spear users will seem to enjoy using more in duels.

There's only a handful of artes that can't be forcefully sparked in duels with the right combination - mostly ones that involve dealing AoE damage such as Arrow Rain, and one Arte that can't be sparked at all (thankfully, it's not particularly overpowering when you get it).

That Land Urchin was actually my favorite enemy to grind for new skills against. While it may be a little harder to learn skills, it's actually a lot more safe, since as Einander pointed out, all it can do it damage which typically isn't OHKO level... And oftentimes it'll just waste its turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Keep in mind the following:

With the exception of Flynn and his mother, everyone looked down on Gustave for not being able to use Anima. His mother - one of the few people in the world that actually treated him like a human being rather than a piece of trash or a thing to be pitied - died in the previous year (or up to two years, depending on how birthdays lay).

Down one of the most influential and supportive people in his life, it's actually quite amazing that Gustave is finally taking charge of his life and grabbing hold of what he can actually do, rather than sitting by and letting everyone else take care of everything. He's finally breaking through his inferiority complex for not being able to use Spell Arts.

Not only is this side of the game a story of Gustave XIII's rise to greatness, it's showing the important parts of his life in the views of history. We haven't quite been shown how Gustave and Wil's stories intertwine (if they do - I've played the game but I'm not sure how to make this more vague), but Gustave is already showing that despite not being able to use spell arts, he has developed great amounts of physical capability and has the mind of a good tactician. He is one to not be underestimated just because he can't sling spells everywhere.

He's also willing to do a lot of things himself, rather than relying on his friends to do everything - it's a rare thing to see in RPGs, since they like to go on about the power of teamwork to overcome adversity. No, this is Gustave's story, and he's finally reaching out seize what fate has in store for him.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
I think one possible issue that everyone seems to be glossing over is that the children's claim to the throne of Finney isn't legitimized until they go through the Firebrand Ceremony.

Marie could very easily have had a kid, divorced Cantal before Charles was old enough, and had Phillipe III go through the ceremony. It's pretty arbitrary on who gets chosen and who gets skipped over. I mean, look at Gustave XII. After he exiled Gustave XIII, the next logical choice would've been Phillipe, right? Instead, he skips over Phillipe, remarries, and has Gustave XIV go for it.

Nothing says that Marie could have resisted Cantal's insistence that Charles go through the ceremony while Phillipe III was still growing up, and then Cantal loses his chance that way once we have a new Firebrand wielder. Either that, or the Firebrand told Charles to go screw off, and Marie isn't a heartless bitch to just toss him out on the streets.

Magic Fanatic fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 27, 2015

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Einander posted:

Every scene in this area with a Rock Rhino has a specific list of scene drops: Blue Water, Antler Spear, and the Granite Staff, in that order.

The Granite Staff is an infinite-use Stone Staff Tool with 49 attack. The next-best Staff, the Limstokes Water Custom Tool, has 40 Attack and 40 uses. The third generation protagonist is quite good with swords (becoming the only characer who can really do the Cinderforge Sword justice) but really excels with Staves--if you somehow get a Granite Staff here, just chuck the Cinderforge and use that instead. The third generation doesn't have many scenarios compared to the first, but you'll still very possibly crack 35 Staves by endgame.

Funny story - last time I played this game, I tried grinding in this area not for the Granite Staff, but to get Diana some HP.

Not only did I discover Diana's nutsy WP growth, but I also found that Eleanor has crazy HP growths (she had broken 600 HP before Diana ever broke 300)...

...And in the process of all that, I got five Granite Staves.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Prism posted:

I'm not going to vote which of the two remaining doesn't come, but if Ginny, Wil and Gustaf aren't in the final group, something is wrong.

Agreeing with the latter part of this post right here.

This becomes a case of high base LP vs. Spears are amazing, yeah?

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
It's actually a somewhat valid strategy. Not Gustave and his steel troops can only move one space at a time if you position it right before turn four, so if you manage to blitz down a few of the Edelritters before then, the stall strategy really does get a lot easier.

...That's what I did, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

TARDISman posted:

C'mon, Barbaracle? Really? Not going with Gigalith, the one that actually has "lith" in the name? Also, you could give Claydol a pass since it's ground type and they're about the same thing in the context of Stone.

EDIT: Random question, I recall reading somewhere that you could remove more than 2 forms from The Egg by putting more people in your reserve party, is that a thing, or is it just not worth losing 2 dudes from the actual fight?

You can remove more than two forms, all told: two duel forms (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PICK TREE AS ONE OF THOSE) and the two party battle forms (Fire and Water). As far as I know, though, the game forces you to have at least four party members for the final boss, at least.

• Locked thread