Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel like I am bad at driving what's the solution before I kill somebody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

get linux

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Like video games, the biggest thing to help make you a good driver is awareness.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wicker Man posted:

Like video games, the biggest thing to help make you a good driver is awareness.

like hitting the brakes in time?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

BottledBodhisvata posted:

like hitting the brakes in time?

More like watching where you are going and the people near you so you don't have to slam the brakes.

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp
Driving lessons would probably be a good start.

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008
well, if you don't text & drive or drink & drive, you are probably already a better driver than the people who do those things.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^ That is reassuring

Wicker Man posted:

More like watching where you are going and the people near you so you don't have to slam the brakes.

Okay, thanks, I'll try that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
If you feel you cannot control a car maybe you shouldn't drive

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

There's no point in being a good driver, too many people suck at it so its pointless

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

set your mirrors correctly. amphetamines.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

set your mirrors correctly. amphetamines.

This isn't two answers. You have to do both

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just get a new Infiniti, Mercedes, or Lexus with as many electronic driver aids as possible - backup camera, traction/stability control, auto braking, parking sensors, auto radar cruise control, lane departure warning, drowsy driving alert systems, auto parallel parking, night vision camera, auto highbeam, auto windshield wipers and auto dimming mirrors, and then you won't need to change your driving habits. Why try in TYOOL 2014 when you can throw money and technology at the problem?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

fyodor posted:

amphetamines.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
word to the wise: sometimes the best defense is a good offense

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I say get out of the car and kill someone first. After, drive off.

Then, at least, you can say it wasn't your driving that was lethal.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

be extremely aware and considerate of other drivers' blind spots

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Get one of those wheel-controllers and spend a lot of time practicing in GTA

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

I came here to laugh at you.
Once you crash into something you will learn to harness the forces of motion.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

also do some mental math and realize that zipping in and out of traffic like an aggressive butthole and doing 20 over the speed limit will literally only get you to your destination like 2 seconds faster

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i once was driving with my brights on because i had a headlight out and it was a saturday night and i sneezed and jerked the wheel a bit, the chick in front of me leans out her window and screams YOU'RE DRUNK! and takes off into the other lane because i guess she thought i would do something crazy like take my eyes off the road and yell at her out my window or something and she slammed into a car pulling out into the lane she had just accelerated into without signalling, i thought about stopping to make sure everyone was ok because the other car was not moving and she was doing about 40 but i was kind of tired

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

i once was driving with my brights on because i had a headlight out and it was a saturday night and i sneezed and jerked the wheel a bit, the chick in front of me leans out her window and screams YOU'RE DRUNK! and takes off into the other lane because i guess she thought i would do something crazy like take my eyes off the road and yell at her out my window or something and she slammed into a car pulling out into the lane she had just accelerated into without signalling, i thought about stopping to make sure everyone was ok because the other car was not moving and she was doing about 40 but i was kind of tired

You did the right thing. Sleep is important.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

LifeSizePotato posted:

also do some mental math and realize that zipping in and out of traffic like an aggressive butthole and doing 20 over the speed limit will literally only get you to your destination like 2 seconds faster

I go the speed limit and it seems to agitate people so now I got 5-to-8 over.

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel, OP

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

LifeSizePotato posted:

I swear this is like the driving equivalent of flipping the bird at people.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

forums enthusiast posted:

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel, OP

You gotta beep a gunk a chucha
Honk konk konk
You gotta each you puna
Each ya bop a luba
Each yall bump a kechonk
Ease sum konk

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Monster!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

go the speed of traffic then. not 20 over what everyone else is doing (exceptions apply on long empty highways etc)

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
if you are aware and considerate of other people driving that basically makes you the best driver by default. i used to wonder why everyone drove like a shithead and then i realized it was because they don't care about anyone else around them. this effect is a little exaggerated by being in a car but it actually applies to everything in life and once you realize most people would legitimately not feel bad about you dying if you brought them some small measure of personal gain it is easier to navigate the world.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
^^^ this, minus the actually being considerate myself part

driving is the perfect metaphor for society

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
the line between having a pleasant conversation with someone on a bus and them eating your organs to avoid dying of starvation is pencil thin.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

try riding a motorsickle, op. if you're thoughtful about it it will make you a much better driver because it will train you to scan everywhere all the time and be aware of every car on the road

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

step 1: get the gently caress out of my way

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
oh yeah that reminds me i had a bike once and still have my endorsement but i will never ride a motorcycle on public roads again you literally have to be retarded. got wrecked a month in by a bitch on her phone. dirtbikes #1

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp
Get that Jesus bloke to take the wheel.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

1. Stay out of the left lane

2. Stay the gently caress out of the left lane

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Gunky Junket posted:

Get that Jesus bloke to take the wheel.

Or better yet, ride with Hitler.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
you could take defensive driving courses if you're a bitch

if you're cool though, you'll get in accidents and learn from your mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

getting upset at people driving too slow (or at all) in the left lane is an indication that you need to chillax about driving and you probably aren't that good at it either

• Locked thread