Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

you probably don't want to miss this, I mean seriously, come out of retirement for this.

eh.

ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am here. Let's do something fun.

I am one of the following roles:

1) an unlimited-shot cop
2) an alternate-night miller (I get to choose which night)
3) classic vanilla town
4) a 2-shot vigilante
5) a 1-shot doctor
6) classic vanilla scum
7) a two-shot BP
8) a 1-shot busdriver
9) a 2-shot governor

b15294939961
g83141719900
p79747475336
y52195555404
r54219832842

also everyone should watch taylor swift's latest video, it's a treasure.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Nice to meet you
Where you been?
I could show you incredible things
Magic, madness, heaven, sin
Saw you there and I thought, "oh my god
Look at that role," you look like my next hang vote
Mafia's a game, wanna play? Ay.

Night actions, guns and lies
I can read you like a magazine
Ain't it funny cases fly
And I know you heard about me
So hey, let's be friends
I'm dying to see how this one ends
Grab your watcher and my hand,
I could make the scum guys town for a weekend.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

okay, since i'm close to being puppy cuddled i think i should claim

i am a serial killer

##vote ernie

:toot:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Dr. Hurt posted:

Quick what is everyone's favorite giant monster movie?

anything with MST3K in front of it

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Ok jokevoting is now over.

Night 0 I received a one-shot dayvig (some kind of ray gun). The message said I have to use it Day 1 or else it'll blow up in my face and kill me Night 1.

I want to use it now because jokevoting is dumb but unlike literally every other dayvig in the world I am going to use it as the town sees fit.

Who should I shoot? Unacceptable answers: me, merk, asiina, or Ixtlilton.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Yeah no I'm not wasting it on a lurker thanks for the super helpful suggestion though.

e: super helpful

e2: :airquote: super. helpful. :airquote:

e3: I am being sarcastic do you get it?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am thinking of shooting Somberbrero because he has a fun PR and I don't :(

Also because he's a jerk who thinks we should kill someone on the first hours of Day 1 for not posting yet,

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

Terrordon claims He is far too massive to fear disintegration and has been shouting "TERRORDON'S INTEGRITY IS SUPREME LIKE DELICIOUS NEW YORK PIZZA"

Is Terrordon also known as CCKeane???

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Terrordon wants all attention directed to Terrordon, even if it's negative. Terrordon believes this to be totally healthy.

Too bad he's gonna get a RAYGUN TO THE FACE probably.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Gonna rant for a second about my roommate because it's happening right now and it is making me wish I had a raygun irl.

He's I guess trying to be a DJ or something? So he has some program making beats and he occasionally inserts sounds from a synthesizer in a way that clearly says "I am experimenting with sounds!", but the end result is noise garbage on my ears and also the SAME drat "click-click-click, durrr" sound repeated OVER AND OVER AGAIN and it's not that it's loud it's just that I can hear it really really well in my room and it's driving me BANANAS.

I've confronted him about the endless list of lovely things he does in the past but it never changes and now I am just reduced to complaining about it on the internet helplessly slash wishing I had a raygun irl.
]
Our third roommate is usually good at keeping him in line but she's never around anymore :(

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
He's a literal manchild, like the stereotypical neckbeard loser personified almost to a T.

It's my own drat fault I should have vetted these two better.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Anyway I am going to zap Somberbrero in the morning if nobody else comes forward with suggestions, that way we have a multiple RL days to discuss the flip.

Make suggestions! Someone's life is on the line!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
omg just read the exchange from Asiina's game, Met is such a shitheel

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
It always blows my mind when someone makes "being a shitheel" the hill they want to die on.

Speaking of blowing minds and dying on hills:

ZZZZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPP

A tiny toy raygun fires, it produces a number of colorful lights and makes an old-timey sci-fi laser sound, but, it does appear just to be a toy.

EccoRaven posted:

Night 0 I received a one-shot dayvig (some kind of ray gun). The message said I have to use it Day 1 or else it'll blow up in my face and kill me Night 1.

I want to use it now because jokevoting is dumb but unlike literally every other dayvig in the world I am going to use it as the town sees fit.
If you quote it you'll see invisible bold tags after the letters: "L" "I" "E" and "S".

I've still got a sinking feeling about Somber tbh.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Dugong posted:

So scum don't know each other. What do we think is the advantage for them to balance this out?

These kinds of questions are incredibly unhelpful. The only people who would know are scum and they're not going to mess up. Town might (and often does in these situations) reveal their roles or other private knowledge to the scum in trying to "figure it out."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

HiipFire posted:

nobody cares

I care.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
See while I don't disagree at all in theory, I still feel like we should be trying to actually hunt scum.

Removing worthless, obnoxious, or toxic players is the job of vigilantes (and good-hearted scum), not the town.

Sidebar but I literally just realized how often I split infinitives and now it's my new project to stop STARTING NEXT POST.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Which is why my comments were appropriate in the vigilante discussion.

What do you think of Ixt?

The second quote you posted bothered me when I first read it, since I don't think anyone was actually arguing Met being a shitheel actually makes him scum in this game; it felt like Ixt was just browsing the thread very casually and wanted to appear helpful. I confess though that I am disinclined vote for him day 1 since he helped me out in a pinch back in September without complaining once.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

Did you miss the post I made that gives away that I think the op is lying because otherwise the game can't be balanced classically or reasonably?

EccoRaven posted:

These kinds of questions are incredibly unhelpful. The only people who would know are scum and they're not going to mess up. Town might (and often does in these situations) reveal their roles or other private knowledge to the scum in trying to "figure it out."

still true 4 u 2 erniebro

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Eight Dollars posted:

Met (Jean Paulson, The Giant Miner of Wyoming) Planet-Aligned 2-Shot Night Absorber was blasted!
Spoiler alert I had him on ignore so thanks meinberg :patriot:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Meinberg posted:

In the balance, I still feel okay about that. I'm now vanilla though, so there's that.

Also, you have no idea how hard it is for me to not be setup speculating right now. There would be so much speculation if it wasn't ultimately counter-productive!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

In a game where everyone must act at least a little scummy
This is bananas and you should feel dumb for typing it.

Ernie. posted:

Here's a practical application of set up speculation::woof:

Cool Story, Bro. How does this help us find scum?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

Meinberg if I give you another vig will you shoot ecco?

The scum are in a weird position where they have to act townie enough not to be voted on, but scummy enough to not be selected for a nightkill.

We as townies have literally no need to "act a little scummy," that's such a completely bonkers statement.

You then speculate that a cop is more likely to be scum than town; cool beans. We can use this information to analyze these current active cop claims:

You're a dumbbutt.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
"I just want us to remember that there probably aren't watchers or trackers!"

- doesn't help us find scum.

"Cops are probably more likely scum than town!"

"I am a dumb butt whose face is a butt and my words are farts and also I have a butt on my butt"

All it does is risk a townie saying "actually, I'm a tracker," or "I'm a cop and town," even if obliquely. It just plain isn't helpful.

So everyone stop, and also consider voting Ernie because wow.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

??? The less scum are able to reach a majority vote on a town target, the less their individual knowledge on which townies are valuable to the town become an advantage.
The less townies play like townies, the harder we have to figure out who among them is scum.

YOU'RE POSTING BONKERS, ERNIE.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
FULLCLAIMING ROLES IS SUCH A FLIPPING STUPID IDEA.

WE HAVE LITERALLY NO IDEA WHAT THE MAFIA HAVE.

YOU'RE BANANAS.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The goal of "the mafia accidentally killing each other" is FAR OUTWEIGHED BY the town's need to VOTE CORRECTLY.

Scum can never play as townie as actual townies; even if they can't coordinate they'll still have that lack of true scumhunting, the insincerity in casemaking, or the hesitation before pursuing a case against someone they think is scum, too. The goal is for townies to actually play like town in such a way that, even without "connections," we can still figure out generally who is scum and who isn't.

We also have the advantage of being able to discuss and piece it together collectively. One player can never figure out the entire game on their own - the mafia are entirely on their own. The odds they can figure out who is scum and town as well as we can, all, together, collectively, is really really small.

It's just so completely bonkers. Yeah the setup is different than usual; that doesn't mean we should throw everything out the window and play like fools.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

The research of I, Krak, indicates Whyohming to be a barren land, absent of pizza and basketball.
You didn't look very hard

http://www.luskherald.com/v2_news_articles.php?story_id=1612&page=72

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-baskbl/wyo-m-baskbl-body.html

GOSH I SWEAR I AM IN A TOWN OF FOOLS.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think it's scummy to advance the position Ernie has been, yes. I think it's encouraging the town to make mistakes, and his insistence pushes it away from "disagreement about strategy" to "actively trying to harm the game."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

Their insistence meant nothing as both efforts were sincere.

Ernie straight up said everyone should fullclaim day 1 without knowing anything else in the setup but what was in the OP.

If he was actually a townie trying to game the game he'd have recognized "hey what I am saying is really gross and strange but I think it makes sense considering the setup from what we know, let's talk about it." Not, "gently caress off ecco let's fullclaim!!"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
##volunteer

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
"It was all a joke!!"

- the refuge of the damned

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Roommate Update:

The guy apparently committed himself to a psychiatric facility? So with him gone the third roommate spent all day cleaning the place. She did a good job, it's actually really nice; it hasn't been this clean since we moved in. It also makes me wish it had just been me and her this whole time, we'd probably still be friends.

I really think we should vote Ernie.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hey Ernie

This post:

merk posted:

I kind of want to act scummy so the scum team thinks I'm scum and avoids nightkilling me.

is next to nothing. It's the same idea, but the difference is you were the one doubling down on it - merk said "eh nevermind" and moved on.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

1. HEY GUYS IM GENERATING CONTENT LOOK AT ME IM FAKING HAVING A VIG

I've literally never said this.

Ernie. posted:

2. GEE WE SHOULD ALL BE TOWNIE, EH GUYS, RIGHT GUYS? TOWNIE CUS WE ARE TOWN AND STUFF

This is self-evident.

You're a butt imo.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think Ernie wants us to deliberately play sub-optimally ("scummy") because he's genuinely afraid he won't be able to post townie this game, so if he gets even a few townies to follow him he'll get to hide better.

I mean think about it, if the scum never know the others' identities, then us playing like scum makes the game a crapshoot

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

Since you know what is best for everyone in the game and why some strategies are flawed, I want you to right here right now tell me some conclusions you've drawn based on your very elaborate vig claim.

I conclude that Meinberg is probably a dayvig :sun:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
That's kinda petty, I am sure you can accomplish so much more in your time with this community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

To be more clear, this post is a "pretty scummy post" as far as scummy posts go. I find it hard to believe that Ecco legitimately believes this ridiculous argument.

Nah it's not ridiculous at all. Is it like totally 100% flawless? Nope. But it's still a fine enough Day 1 case.

• Locked thread