Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
How many Scenes (or whatever they are called) are there? Don't need a precise number if it's spoilery, just wondering how long this will be. I remember Riviera being rather long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I want to say 45? 46? Something like that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow.
That's quite a few.

How long would that take if you weren't trying to teach people all the ins and outs of the game while playing?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Well, video 5, for example, was 36 minutes long, but I talked for about 11 before the match began. I'm wondering if, eventually, I could start fitting 2 Scenes per video but I'll have to see. Later stages have stronger enemies so killing them takes more turns; as a result the Scenes are longer.

I think once I get through most of the mechanics, I should be able to speed up the playtime, but we're still looking down a long road. I suppose I could skip some Scenes if they aren't important, but I think I'd rather leave that to the viewer--people can watch the videos they want and skip the rest. Boss fights would be a good candidate for watching, in my opinion.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Boss fights are a high point in the game, IMO. They're brought down a bit when you're waiting for treasure respawns, but past that the later ones see some serious touhou poo poo. A game like this with 30 bosses and no item collection (or vastly revamped) would kick rear end.
Are you at all familiar with Alien Soldier? It's nothing like this (originally a run-and-gun Genesis shooter by Treasure), mind, but the entire premise is that it's nearly all boss fights.

On topic, the videos are a bit longer than I'd normally expect, but with you explaining just about everything going on (and there is a lot going on) I have no complaint. Keep up the good work!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So you didn't use the a key item on the werewolf? Was it because you forgot, or did you not have the item? You should have gotten it during scene 2.

Also, for more proof that the werewolf was the prince, the item is called "Piche's Bauble".

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE:siren::siren:

This update is going to be a forum post covering how elevation plays a role in your attacks.

Alright, after getting about 40% through making a video for this, it dawned on me that the video was going to be almost all still images. So let’s simplify this and make it a forum post.

So, height in this game is a little complicated. Really, a little more complicated than it needs to be. I want to stress that this is my interpretation of how height works…the instruction manual and tutorial for the game are both pretty vague, and I was unable to find a good explanation online.

So, I went ahead and did what anyone else does when they are trying to figure out something: observe the game, make note of what happens, develop a theory, then apply the theory and see if it fits. Try to make predictions based on the theory and see if they come true.

To that end, I have a working theory, but I’m not going to claim this is fact.

Everything I’m going to present in this post will be things I have observed in the game.

Alright, our model for this post will be the lower screen that displays during gameplay. In most cases I zoom in on the top screen to show the action, but the bottom screen always has a wire frame-type display. Here’s the one for Scene 5:

I went ahead and recorded the elevations for the terrain:

You can see these elevations in-game when you hold the stylus to any square. The Height is displayed in the lower right of the screen.

Now, let’s say we have a warrior…here:

And we want to attack in Law Phase. During Battle Preparations, we can hold a stylus to the character and the game will fill in the appropriate squares to tell you where the attack will land:

So you think “Ok, this makes sense. Warriors have a reach of 5 squares in Law Phase, we’ve seen that in the past. And first it hits right in front of the Warrior, but as the charge bar fills, his range increases, and before long he’s at the max range of his attack.” Yep, that is correct. However, at this time, the game is displaying the max range of the attack without regard for the Height. That’s an interesting choice.

Well, for starters, Regular attack seem to have no Height restriction. (I know I sound like a broken record by now, but Regular attacks are when you don’t equip the Knight with a weapon before you start charging. They are extremely weak attacks, but they have their uses…especially for farming Gems, which you need to gain Magic Points).

So the game is showing us the absolute max range of attack here, and that would certainly be achievable with a Regular attack. However, each weapon has a Height indicator that the game is not taking into account when it shows us the attack range. Let’s take a look at a Law Phase weapon for Warriors: The Slasher:

This is the screen we’ve seen every time I’ve gone to the inventory, sorted by table, then by warrior, then Darkness affinity, and finally held the stylus to the Slasher. The top screen displays the stats of the weapon, like the damage it does, or the number of hits it lands during one attack. Most of this stuff was covered in the Inventory Management update, but I want to focus on the right half of the top screen:

Ok, we have a little Warrior performing an attack, and we know that’s Law Phase. Underneath the warrior is a couple icons followed by “Height: -2 ~ +1”

The tilde seems a little out of place, but this is fairly self explanatory. The weapon can operate at Heights of, in relation to the point of reference, two Height units below through one unit above. So the weapon has a range of 3 Height units. Ok, that makes sense, but there’s an unanswered question. What is the point of reference?

For the longest time I assumed it was where the Knight was standing. However, upon testing that theory, I found it was not the case. Attacks would not adhere to the Height range suggested by the weapon stats when I used the Knight’s location was the point of reference. So, some testing was in order. The following is what I’ve found, and is subject to interpretation.

Long story short, the point of reference seems to be where the first blow lands. Refer to the image of the attack range animation:

Here, we see a Warrior standing on a block of 0 Height begins charging, and the first block that is hit is the 2-Height block just northeast of the Warrior. From what I’ve observed, that block appears to be the point of reference for the weapon’s Height attack range.

If that holds true, then the expected attack range for Slasher at this position would be as follows:

The Slasher axe cannot reach the block at 12 Height, even though the game indicated it in the attack animation. That’s because, once again, the game was not taking into account the axe’s stats—the game was only showing me the absolute max range. So, the 12-Height block is out—it’s well beyond the +1 Height the axe can handle (and remember that is relative to the 2.0 Height from the initial blow.)

However, the neighboring 2-Height block, and the lower 0-Height blocks to the right are within range of the axe attack. The game confirms this if you, during gameplay, equip the Slasher and charge to max.

So there’s exhibit A. There are more examples. Note that, if the point of reference for the Height range was the Knight’s location, the axe should not have been able to hit the 2-Height blocks…that would exceed the +1 Height that the axe can handle.

Here’s another example. Let’s say I have a Warrior here:

If I touch the stylus to him on the Battle Preparation screen, with Law Phase activated, the game shows me this:

So, even with a jump of 0.5 Height to 6.0 Height (5.5 units), the game is still telling me no problem, here’s your attack range. When we try in game and get a full charge…

…we see that we don’t quite get the full range. The 6-Height blocks are ok, and the one directly in front of the Warrior is the point of reference for the rest of the attack. So, we can go 2 Height units below 6 and still hit, or we could go as high as a Height of 7, if there were any blocks in range of the attack. However, the block at a Height of 2 gets excluded; indeed, the 4-Height blocks are at the maximum tolerance of Height disparity for this axe when using that 6-Height block as the point of reference.

As noted, the Warrior was a good 5.5 blocks below where his attack would hit; however the first blow still landed one space in front of him. There doesn’t seem to be a limit to how much Height that first blow can overcome; however once the first blow lands, all other blows are confined to the limitations of the weapon relative to the Height of that first blow.

For sake of argument, let’s say that we were in Chaos Phase:

Putting the stylus to the Warrior on the Battle Preparation gives us this animation:

Standard Warrior attack, but there are missing blocks, so we don’t see the full reach of the attack. Attacks can’t land on spaces with no blocks, of course. Now let’s check out a Chaos axe, the Cross axe:

So, basically the inverse of Slasher. While Slasher had -2~+1, Cross axe is sporting -1~+2. So up to two blocks higher than the point of reference, but only one block lower. Ok. Let’s test it. When charged in game:

And this makes sense. The point of reference is the 6-Height block directly in front of the Warrior. Other attack squares are bound to the limitations of the weapon, so the other 6-Height blocks are ok, but the 4-Height block is out of the -1 range, and the 12-Height block is way out of the +2 range.

Now, to be completely honest, the game actually shows us this:

The 4 and 12 Height blocks are out of the weapon’s range, but the game is pretty generous with splash damage, and enemies on those squares may receive a little damage. I think there are degrees of how much splash damage a weapon may grant, and I haven’t done any testing on it. The point, however, is that the true attack won’t reach those blocks.

Alright, I think I made my point clear with Warriors, but what about other classes?

Let’s try a Lance Knight here:

…using this weapon:

So a Law Phase weapon that attacks in a straight line. Touching the stylus to the Lance Knight while in Battle Preparations gives us this:

But charging him in game gives us this:

So yeah, the weapon’s first blow lands right in front of the Lance Knight, but then it can’t overcome the Height disparity. Alas! If we move the Lance Knight up one spot, we see this on Battle Preparation:

…but get this when in game:

Once again, the attack is truncated due to Height limitations.

I think I’ve driven this home enough, but what about the other classes? Let’s briefly look at Moira, our Hermit, in Chaos Phase. If you recall, Hermits actually have two lanes of attack in Chaos mode:

Dang, that’s good coverage! Thanks for telling me that, game. Wait, you’re a loving liar. Let’s check out Moira’s weapon:

Well, that’s a pretty drat big spread. Starting at the point of reference, these daggers can hit blocks 2 Height units below, and up to 12 Height units above! So the daggers are really encouraging us to hit enemies above us, that’s for sure.

Well…

…above the point of reference. Not the Knight. Ok. Well let’s see what actually happens when we charge these things in battle:

Huh. Lot of things to take in there. First off, it appears that each attack lane is treated independently. Moira is standing on a block at 6 Height units, and the left attack lane hits on a block at 4 Height units. From that point of reference, the attack is able to continue on to the 2-Height block, as it is within the -2 limitation. However, the attack stops there and cannot proceed to the 0.5-Height block; there is a disparity of 3.5 Height units (Point of reference is 4.0, minus 0.5 Height of target block). The weapon cannot overcome this and the attack fails to reach that final square.

However, the attack lane on the right experiences no hindrance. It’s interesting to note that, while Moira is standing on a 6-Height block, the attack lands on a 0.5-Height block. Once again, the first part of the attack is able to land anywhere, regardless of where the Knight stood. And once it lands, it becomes the point of reference for the rest of the attack. The remaining blocks in that right attack lane are well within the weapon’s Height restrictions, and the attack is able to reach its full range.

Ok guys, I think that’s enough. I have more examples I did in game to test this theory, but I don’t want to drag this out longer than it needs to be. I want to once again stress: this is my interpretation of how Height works. If you have this game, I do invite you to test this theory and try to find holes. A working theory only gains merit through repeatability. I’m especially worried about this theory because the way the point of reference is determined seems so drat weird to me. It just seems like the freakin Knight would be an easier and more logical point of reference, but what do I know.

One thing I want to mention: during gameplay, while you charge your Knight, the attack range slowly grows. We’ve seen that in past videos and the animated gifs in this update actually are showing the ranges associated with different charge levels . There is a quirk about charging that can lead to confusion (it did for me, that’s for sure). Let’s refer to the Warrior Chaos charge we looked at:

So the game indicates that the Warrior can reach all these squares, but with the Cross axe we could only reach these:

The 12-Height and 4-Height blocks were left out. Here’s the thing: when at the half-point of your charge, you will see those blocks light up for a split second. WHY??? Is there some stipulation where, for a brief moment, you can achieve a full range attack?? Why the gently caress are they throwing in another ridiculous variable?? I was about to slam my DS against the loving wall when I saw this, but there’s actually an explanation.

During a Skill attack, you equip your Knight with a weapon and begin charging. There are two charge phases: the first phase of the charge is the range, and the second phase is the power.

What happens, is that the first phase, charging for range, is actually a Regular attack. Remember, Regular attacks appear to have no limitation on the Height they can reach. So, for a half a second, the Regular attack is fully charged and the 12-Height and 4-Height blocks flash, indicating that yes, an attack can land here. Then, the power phase of the charge begins, and you move to a Skill attack, with the limitations of the weapon to consider. The squares are no longer lit up; you only see these squares:

You are bound by the weapon’s limitations and can no longer hit the 12-Height or 4-Height blocks.

Alright, I think that’s all the minutiae I can talk about for now. Thanks for reading, I hope to have another video update within the next few days. There is an upcoming gameplay mechanic that I am very excited to talk about; hopefully it will come up in the next video. See you then!

BlazeEmblem posted:

So you didn't use the a key item on the werewolf? Was it because you forgot, or did you not have the item? You should have gotten it during scene 2.

Also, for more proof that the werewolf was the prince, the item is called "Piche's Bauble".

I missed it in Scene 2! Another successful failure! I was planning to address it next boss fight, where presumably I'd have their key item. Hopefully.

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 7, 2014

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I think I’ve driven this home enough, but what about the other classes? Let’s briefly look at Moria, our Hermit, in Chaos Phase.

Isolated incident, thankfully, but I just wanted to point out the typo there.

Archers have other weird rules about this, since their Law attack hits only one square so height doesn't matter except maybe for damage, and in Chaos where they have an x-shaped area the center must be the point of reference, and that's moving.

Also of note is that Lance Knights can't deal with uneven heights in Chaos Phase when they move. I think there's a little bit of leeway, maybe something like .5 of a unit, but much more than that will stop them in their tracks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think the first block being taken as point of reference is to make sure that a Knight will be able to attack with a weapon no matter what. Otherwise, you run the risk of a Knight not being able to attack at all (apart from weak regular attacks). Most Knights cannot move, too.

It feels to me like it's to make the player's life easier, is what I'm trying to say.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

AweStriker posted:

Isolated incident, thankfully, but I just wanted to point out the typo there.

Archers have other weird rules about this, since their Law attack hits only one square so height doesn't matter except maybe for damage, and in Chaos where they have an x-shaped area the center must be the point of reference, and that's moving.

Also of note is that Lance Knights can't deal with uneven heights in Chaos Phase when they move. I think there's a little bit of leeway, maybe something like .5 of a unit, but much more than that will stop them in their tracks.

Ah thanks for pointing out that typo, to be honest I occasionally have to stop myself from calling her Moria, I don't know what my problem is. You are right about that other stuff, too. Archers' attacks in Chaos use the center square as the point of reference, and the other squares are restricted to the weapon's limitations. The bows I have now exhibit similar Height limitations as Moira's daggers, (the bows are -1 ~ +12), which is interesting.

And yeah, Lance Knights can handle 0.5 disparity and will traverse as long as it's not exceeded. Next Scene, we're going to get a Duelist, and as I'm sure you know, they have a very distinct movement attribute... :)

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think the first block being taken as point of reference is to make sure that a Knight will be able to attack with a weapon no matter what. Otherwise, you run the risk of a Knight not being able to attack at all (apart from weak regular attacks). Most Knights cannot move, too.

It feels to me like it's to make the player's life easier, is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah that makes sense, I guess it's better than putting yourself in a situation where the Knight can't even swing. I think they should've made the system clearer though.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Oh awesome, someone is LPing Knights in the Nightmare and he's explaining all the minutiae with proper detail! I can't tell you how great it is to finally understand this game. I played through all of Riviera and Yggdra Union (and other exceedingly arcane games like the SaGa series) and thoroughly -loved- the experimental and weird design choices that really make them stand out from more 'standard' JRPGs.

But this game. This one broke me. I just couldn't get into it. All of the ideas seemed interesting enough and I liked the bleak atmosphere, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the flow of the game long enough to start picking it apart and actually having fun with it. The tutorial-esque nature of this LP has actually renewed my interesting in actually giving it a go, particularly after finding out there's apparently alternate paths to take.

The game kind of gives me a Valkyrie Profile vibe mixed with Dept Heaven's unique style. I'm really invested in seeing what other strange twists the gameplay takes from here. Side note, I also rather like your voice, so I'm fine if you wanna keep up the lecture-style for future videos; you're including the exact amount of detail needed in my opinion, there's so much going on. Once you've gotten past all the mechanics you need to introduce, you likely don't need to showcase -every- second of every battle. Perhaps just edit some Scenes to only include Rounds where interesting stuff happens? As for between-Scene item management, I think the verbal summary is fine for everything except Transouling. You could include a quick display of each PC's status screen briefly to show if any numbers changed due to leveling, severe Vit drops, or Index gains and use that time to talk about any new weapons of note. It's probably also a good idea to show off a Weapon reaching 0 Dur and a unit reaching 0 Vit at some point.

The only other request I have is that you include all those bios from the Tome artbook for any and all recruits we pick up, even if they're destined for Transouling.

Keep up the good work, this is an excellent playthrough so far!

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Sorry for the delay in updates, guys. I hope to have a new video up in a few days. I'll spare you the details, but know that the delay is due to hilarious incompetence on my part. Hilarious.

Thanks so much for the kind comments, I'm glad you're enjoying the LP so far :D

quote:

Once you've gotten past all the mechanics you need to introduce, you likely don't need to showcase -every- second of every battle. Perhaps just edit some Scenes to only include Rounds where interesting stuff happens?
Yeah this is a tough choice for me. Do you think I could do a highlight reel kind of thing, or maybe just show one or two rounds out of a 5 round scene? I don't know how much people want to see me recruit Knight after Knight after Knight for another 40+ scenes, or if it's interesting to hear me plot out the strategy I'll be using before I begin fighting. I definitely want to see how the videos turn out once I get past the heavy mechanics explanations, I think the pace should pick up quite a bit.

quote:

As for between-Scene item management, I think the verbal summary is fine for everything except Transouling. You could include a quick display of each PC's status screen briefly to show if any numbers changed due to leveling, severe Vit drops, or Index gains and use that time to talk about any new weapons of note. It's probably also a good idea to show off a Weapon reaching 0 Dur and a unit reaching 0 Vit at some point.
These are good ideas too, I could probably summarize that stuff fairly quick and keep everyone on the same page.

quote:

The only other request I have is that you include all those bios from the Tome artbook for any and all recruits we pick up, even if they're destined for Transouling.

Yeah this would be fun to do, actually. The only caveat would be that, for each entry, I'd want to provide a portrait of the Knight. Heck, I'd probably just show the pause talk you get when you recruit the Knight, that would have a portrait and a short blurb from them. There are over 120 Knights you can recruit in the game (although some are restricted to whichever path you take). I'm worried that would get way too image heavy, especially if it's on the first page. Speaking of which, I really really need to update the stuff on the first page, but I tend to give priority to working on new videos (although you wouldn't guess it given my pace at releasing videos).

I guess I can just add the Tome stuff without an image, but this game, imo, really benefits from fleshing out the characters as much as you can; it gives the whole experience so much more personality.

Finally, for anyone watching this LP who's wanted to pick the game up for themselves but had trouble with getting the mechanics down...I really do recommend that you stop watching the LP once you get the gist, and experience the game for yourself. I know I'm sounding like a blowhard here but I have a lot of respect for this game and I urge people to savor it.

Oh and one last thing: someone suggested making a playlist of the videos. I...think? I made one? But I'm not sure it's active or whatever, can anyone comment? Thanks...

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Oh and one last thing: someone suggested making a playlist of the videos. I...think? I made one? But I'm not sure it's active or whatever, can anyone comment? Thanks...

It works and has all of the gameplay videos, although you only have the first inventory video, not any of the 8 other inventory videos.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Yeah this is a tough choice for me. Do you think I could do a highlight reel kind of thing, or maybe just show one or two rounds out of a 5 round scene? I don't know how much people want to see me recruit Knight after Knight after Knight for another 40+ scenes, or if it's interesting to hear me plot out the strategy I'll be using before I begin fighting. I definitely want to see how the videos turn out once I get past the heavy mechanics explanations, I think the pace should pick up quite a bit.

I'm interested in hearing your strategy at the start of the battle, especially switching knight tipes at appropriate times. I was never good at that. Regarding cutting some stuff, you could skip rounds that inmediatelly go into MP/EXP and leave the others in. I don't think picking up knights at the start of every scene is going to be a huge bother.

I went back to the game after watching the last episode. I didn't remember how much of a kick in the nuts Transoul is.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."

HaroldofTheRock posted:

If you have a unique strategy for a particular fight, then summarize it. If it's literally just "recruit everyone, get all items, satisfy kill requirements with basic units", then you can probably skip it, or just go over the details that are outside that outline. Like.. if you -aren't- getting all the items for some reason. Or if there's a new enemy/bullet-type to deal with. Otherwise, show one or two rounds - whichever rounds have the most action. You can even talk over those rounds in post and use that time to explain what your strategy was to keep things succinct.

Show all recruiting. Full stop. You don't have to get everyone if it's impossible in one playthrough, but show everyone you -do- recruit. The game's story/atmosphere is awesome, and I like all your recaps and speculation talk about the characters and events.

quote:

Yeah this would be fun to do, actually. The only caveat would be that, for each entry, I'd want to provide a portrait of the Knight. Heck, I'd probably just show the pause talk you get when you recruit the Knight, that would have a portrait and a short blurb from them. There are over 120 Knights you can recruit in the game (although some are restricted to whichever path you take). I'm worried that would get way too image heavy, especially if it's on the first page. Speaking of which, I really really need to update the stuff on the first page, but I tend to give priority to working on new videos (although you wouldn't guess it given my pace at releasing videos).

Their pause chat image sounds like a great idea. If you don't want to have the full roster on the first page, then just append the new recruits' pause chat image with their Tome bio at the end of the update they get recruited in. If you want to compile them all later in an archive, you can do that at the end. You can save the current first page post just for 'our' main team.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm interested in hearing your strategy at the start of the battle, especially switching knight tipes at appropriate times. I was never good at that. Regarding cutting some stuff, you could skip rounds that inmediatelly go into MP/EXP and leave the others in. I don't think picking up knights at the start of every scene is going to be a huge bother.

I went back to the game after watching the last episode. I didn't remember how much of a kick in the nuts Transoul is.

I actually fully agree with this comment, it'd probably the best way to go.

I also agree Transoul looks like a kick in the nuts. I'd probably use it as little as possible if I was playing, the idea of just killing off my characters is not one I like. I'm the kind that constantly resets in Fire Emblem because I can't let anyone die, or throws Phoenix Downs at even the most useless of generics in Final Fantasy Tactics. Leave no man behind, dammit. Even if they're already dead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This really seems like an interesting structure for a strategy game.

And did I see it right, you were getting bonus points for grazing enemy projectiles?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah Knights in the Nightmare. Probably one of my favorite games on the DS, and definitely one that uses the stylus to good effect.

The music helps with the rhythm of play, there's a definite frenetic energy to the game, and the gameplay definitely helps to envision what's actually going on. A lost spirit, leading a score of ghosts who can only manifest in short bursts with the help and expenditure of the spirit. Great feel to it. The story and gameplay do clash a little, what with the battles being energetic and sort of goofy because of the voice-acting, and the story being really freaking bleak. Recruiting soldiers to serve until their essence finally fades to nothingness is an awesome way to enforce that bleakness.

Despite that, it's not without it's problems. Padded to poo poo and back (way too long). The item grabbing is also kind of grindy and annoying what with having to break them and in some cases wait for them to respawn. And honestly, the game is hilariously overcomplicated in the setup screen, I never did figure out what half the numbers meant. And yet the game is kind of too easy. Because they have to account for the odd doofus somehow never permanently recruiting anyone, almost every map has to introduce a new character(s) to use, kind of bloating out the cast. So individual members never ended up mattering too much to me.

It is nice to see the game getting the LP treatment though, it's good for more people to see it. Given how front-loaded it can be, I bet that turned a lot of people off, which is a pity.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Glazius posted:

And did I see it right, you were getting bonus points for grazing enemy projectiles?

He mentioned it in one of the videos, but yes, you get bonus EXP for grazing bullets.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I actually really like how you take your time with each video to plot your strategy. It makes the videos really mellow.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: SCENE 5:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqWLSg7l_zo
:siren::siren:

KNIGHTS RECRUITED LAST TIME:

Dreyuss Koubelka of the 11th order
“Wow, the world is a pretty big place.”

Class: Archer
Atlus.com says this of Dreyuss:
“A pure-hearted boy from the countryside who has a hard time finding his way in the royal city. He shows great promise with his bow.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says:
Eagle Eye
“He is an excellent Archer, and he knows it. Dreyuss has a tendency to be blunt and rude at times, but he always means well. For a young man who spends most of his day focusing intently on targets, measuring wind speeds, and searching for strategic firing locations, he has a surprisingly horrible sense of direction. Dreyuss studied archery under Legaard, and he is fortunate to have Frances looking after him like an older sister.”

Firenz Hanover of the 11th order

“Consume the drink, but don’t let the drink consume you!”
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com says this of Firenz:
“An able-bodied soldier known to frequent the city’s bars. He’s seen much of the world, giving him an empathetic heart. He cares for many people.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says:
Trusty Blade
“He has a bit of a sensitive side and loves to work with children. Firenz can always find the good qualities in people, and that has helped him make many friends. When he has free time, he drinks with Bonn, but he will never admit to actually being drunk…”

BlazeEmblem posted:

It works and has all of the gameplay videos, although you only have the first inventory video, not any of the 8 other inventory videos.
Thanks, for all the use I get out of youtube I still don't really get how half the features work. Clicking on one of the annotations in the first inventory video should take you to a new playlist for the inventory update.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm the kind that constantly resets in Fire Emblem because I can't let anyone die, or throws Phoenix Downs at even the most useless of generics in Final Fantasy Tactics. Leave no man behind, dammit. Even if they're already dead.
I'm the same way and let me tell you, when you have our condition, playing Pikmin is a harrowing experience :(

Thanks for the ideas! And thanks to everyone throwing in their two cents. I'm excited to see what this LP evolves into :)

Glazius posted:

Yep, as BlazeEmblem mentioned, yes there is an XP bonus if you have a close call. The wisp flashes blue when that happens. Also, when I do it in my videos, please understand that it is always 100% on purpose and that I'm hot dogging for the audience. To the untrained eye it might look like I was bumbling around and somehow miraculously avoided something by accident.

Some good insight and valid criticism in this post. Makes you sorry that this game will most likely never get a sequel, there are some small things they could improve on but the foundation is so rock solid.

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 14, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I haven't had a chance to watch the new update yet, but I do appreciate how you put the bios of the newly recruited knights in the post. Now their information is quick and easily accessible if the viewers forget why, exactly, this knight in particular stands out from the hundreds thrown at you. :v: It's a better format than doing one huge masterpost of all the characters you collected.

Request: could you go back to your previous update posts and retroactively add the recruited character descriptions? I imagine the format would be a lot cleaner if/when this LP gets archived.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

If there is one truly dickish thing about Trans soul, it's that it's not the same for everyone. Certain characters will actually start to lose combat effectiveness from excessive use of Trans soul, because Sting wanted to keep a theme of degradation. So basically older looking characters still have a soft cap in usefulness in new game+, where just using the younger ones won't be as likely to peak in viability.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nondevor posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch the new update yet, but I do appreciate how you put the bios of the newly recruited knights in the post. Now their information is quick and easily accessible if the viewers forget why, exactly, this knight in particular stands out from the hundreds thrown at you. :v: It's a better format than doing one huge masterpost of all the characters you collected.

Request: could you go back to your previous update posts and retroactively add the recruited character descriptions? I imagine the format would be a lot cleaner if/when this LP gets archived.

I agree with this. I didn't even realize these bios were on the first page until now, even. It's a good thing to have these to know more about the knights before they're mercilessly sacrificed to power up the more important knights.

Talking about said first page, you constantly called Moira "Moria", might want to fix that when you add the rest of the characters in.

Also I love those goblins, they look so happy when they're being dicks and stealing your items. I'd take one home as a pet.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Ok, I think I've added bios for all the Knights we've recruited so far. I thought about it a little and decided it would be more appropriate to put the recruited knights' bios in the following update, so for example the update for Scene 2 has a section that says "Knights we recruited last time" and Johann's bio is in there.

Here is a link to the update posts, which now have the Knight bios:
Scene 2 update. Knight covered: Johann
Scene 3 update. Knights covered: Moira and Bonn
Scene 4 update. Knights covered: Michel and Mardin
Scene 5 update. Knights covered: Dreyuss and Firenz

Annointed posted:

If there is one truly dickish thing about Trans soul, it's that it's not the same for everyone. Certain characters will actually start to lose combat effectiveness from excessive use of Trans soul, because Sting wanted to keep a theme of degradation. So basically older looking characters still have a soft cap in usefulness in new game+, where just using the younger ones won't be as likely to peak in viability.
Now this is interesting, I was not aware of this. Once thing to note is that so far, we've been recruiting mostly Knights of the 11th order, which the game developers describe as the "freshmen class". Most of the Knights of that order are pretty young.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about said first page, you constantly called Moira "Moria", might want to fix that when you add the rest of the characters in.

Son of a bitch. Thanks, I think I got them.

My plan is to only use the front page for the bios of the Knights we're going to level up and use through the entire game. The bios of the other Knights will only be posted in the appropriate update post.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Nice update, and I really like how the Recruits Bios are looking in the update posts! I gotta say that the story recaps are really helping me get invested in what's going on in the larger story of this game. Like, this early on, at least, the Wisp's little adventures floating through the woods are kinda disconnected from the main action, so when I played it I was completely uninvested in these 2-minute story snippets after spending 90% of the time fighting in a completely different location.

But with the extra attention, especially with someone who has played the game highlighting the important bits, it's really got me interested in what's going to come next.

Side note: I really -REALLY- love the UI in this game, and in Yggdra Union too. I can't figure out -why- for the life of me though. Yes, the art is attractive enough, but the UI is cluttered beyond belief and I feel like objectively I should hate it, but the exact opposite is true, I love all the little moving pieces and parts. And the juxtaposition of the gorgeously detailed art with its overly-simple faces and the little zoomed-in sprite icons for the items and weapons just chillin' next to these intricately-designed backdrop images. It sounds like a design nightmare, but it's really appealing to me for some reason.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Annointed posted:

I will give the game credit for this, in that it is one of the very, very few times a mechanic is entirely transparent. The Trans Soul screen displays a graph that tells you how quickly a character's strength increases as they level, where it peaks, plateaus, and even declines. Furthermore, you can see the Knight's position on the graph, and how far along it they'll move as they approach their (current) maximum level. It is a simple, elegant display which efficiently collects all the data you need into one graphic.

What it's doing in this confusing mess of a game is anyone's guess. I assume it was designed by one of STiNG's interns, and the director beat him severely when he found out.

EDIT: No, seriously, that height difference thing is insane. There are multiple maps further down the line where it's important, but you won't find an explanation like that anywhere even within the million fiddly little tutorials and hints it provides.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 14, 2014

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm working on the next update, but it's challenging me because I'm trying to do some new things namely making a short portion of the video concerning plot, which requires me to expand my tiny, tiny bag of video editing tricks. I can't put into words how bad I am at this, so it's going slow. I hope to have a video update within a few days.

Rangpur posted:

I will give the game credit for this, in that it is one of the very, very few times a mechanic is entirely transparent. The Trans Soul screen displays a graph that tells you how quickly a character's strength increases as they level, where it peaks, plateaus, and even declines. Furthermore, you can see the Knight's position on the graph, and how far along it they'll move as they approach their (current) maximum level. It is a simple, elegant display which efficiently collects all the data you need into one graphic.
poo poo, I was aware of that graph but it never occurred to me that it was representing the knight's current level cap and not their lifetime level gains :downs:

quote:

What it's doing in this confusing mess of a game is anyone's guess. I assume it was designed by one of STiNG's interns, and the director beat him severely when he found out.

:lol:

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: SCENE 6: Suspicion in the Air:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVqPHAzeIh8
In which I forget to talk to Reuben :cripes:

KNIGHTS RECRUITED LAST TIME
Bailey Y. Fender

"So I wasn't cut out for this after all..."
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com says this of Bailey:
“He joins the Knights on an impulse, as though to spite his frail body. He comes to regret it, however, as he discovers just how inexperienced he is.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Curious Prodigy
"He is a rash and foolhardy young man who is quite immature. He became a knight solely because he thought it would afford him more opportunities to see the world, but now he has begun to regret that decision. He can sense how similar his life is to Colt's."

Frances Mervyl

“No matter where I go, I don’t fit in…”
Class: Hermit
Atlus.com says this of Frances:
“A good friend of Roslip, Frances feels lonely having to work so far away from her. She lacks confidence, and depends on others to make it through the day.”
Shadow Spirit
"The youngest of seven sisters, she has very low confidence in herself and derives most of her strength and happiness from those around her. Frances is brokenhearted that she and her friend Roslip are not serving in the same order. Fortunately, she can depend on Erica to help her make it through the day."

Erica Val Eh Sokolov

“My pride is born of my knighthood, not my social standing.”
Class: Duelist
Atlus.com says this of Erica:
“A noble woman who became a knight, despising the idea of treating the upper-crust society any differently than the working class. She works to restore the country.”
Celestial Fencer
"She was born into nobility but quickly learned to hate class distinctions and prejudice. Once day, Erica would like to be a housewife and take care of a family, but she feels compelled to serve her kingdom as a knight. She trained alongside Seriee, and has taken it upon herself to look after Frances."

:siren:STATE OF THE LP:siren:
So after this video, we have one more Knight class to recruit. After that video, I will look toward experimenting with the LP format; I've hit most of the gameplay mechanics that I feel need to be covered, and I would like to move to a post-video commentary. I will most likely be editing down the rounds, and maybe even fitting two Scenes per video. I'm not sure what will work and what won't, so please understand that as I fumble forward!

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 20, 2014

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012
Holy poo poo just saw this thread and someone is actually doing a Knights in the Nightmare LP. God speed to you sir. This game is amazing and as stated in your OP post the artbook is definitely worth the $12 you paid for it. Absolutely love the Dept Heaven series. This game has my favorite soundtrack but is my least favorite in terms of the Dept Heaven series.

You're doing a great job explaining the mechanics so keep it up!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

My only guess for why you can't chain attacks is that the AI for an upcoming boss would break if multiple knights were charged up at once.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just wantd to echo everyone in saying I'm really enjoying the LP. I had never heard of this game, and it looks like it has some serious barriers to entry, but the pace at which you present mechanics and of the videos themselves make it easy to digest.

I find that this is a great LP to listen to and half watch while plugging away at work :)

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Oh man, that timeline stuff at the end of the latest video was extremely helpful in contextualizing what the hell is going on in this game. You should put those infographics in the threadpost itself, or perhaps in the next update's post?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 7: Sacrificial Lambs:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhB0eFmoe4
In which I recruit a Priestess, but don't use her once!

KNIGHTS RECRUITED LAST TIME
Alonso Updike of the 11th Order

“What do you mean I talk too loud!?”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com says this of Alonso:
”A spear-wielder, Alonso is highly critical of others and slightly arrogant. People know him for his booming voice.”
Savage Impaler
”He looks after the rest of the order almost obsessively. Alonso’s expert knowledge on spears is almost unmatched, and local blacksmiths are nervous about dealing with him because of it. However, what Alonso is best known for is being a very loud talker, and his comrades talk about it behind his back frequently. He is aware of how loud he is, but he has no desire to lower his volume.”

Rolenta Ellenhart of the 2nd Order

“No longer shall I be used!”
Class: Hermit
Atlus.com says this of Rolenta:
”A castle guard, Rolenta was born into a common family. Despising her lineage, she is quick to anger and quicker still to despise those of nobility.”
Prophet of Ruin
”Her mother abandoned her family while Rolenta was very young, and it scarred her emotionally. She has trouble getting close to people sometimes, even now. The only person she trusts is Flora, who she gained as a stepsister when her father remarried. As a commoner, Rolenta has great disdain for the upper classes, but no matter how much she pretends to hate Schmitz, she is secretly attracted to him.”

Rolf Rolinger of the 11th Order

“I may lack experience, but I want to protect these people too.”
Class: Wizard
Atlus.com says this of Rolf:
”A young, humble knight showing great promise. Some even consider him a potential successor to Gunther, though he would never admit he was capable of such a feat.”
Burning Tiger
”He is an impressively talented young Wizard who climbed the ranks quickly. He continually strives to better himself for the kingdom’s sake, but he knows he still has much left to learn. To many, Rolf is a model example of what a knight should be. Unlike some of the other Generals, Rolf is not able to hold his alcohol as well as he would like to.”

Lord Gorchnik posted:

Holy poo poo just saw this thread and someone is actually doing a Knights in the Nightmare LP. God speed to you sir. This game is amazing and as stated in your OP post the artbook is definitely worth the $12 you paid for it. Absolutely love the Dept Heaven series. This game has my favorite soundtrack but is my least favorite in terms of the Dept Heaven series.

You're doing a great job explaining the mechanics so keep it up!
Thanks! I've actually looked at some of the LPs for the other Dept Heaven games and they looked like really interesting games, but none of them seemed to capture the bleak atmosphere of KitN. At any rate I'm putting Yggdra Union on my to-play list.

BlazeEmblem posted:

My only guess for why you can't chain attacks is that the AI for an upcoming boss would break if multiple knights were charged up at once.
I think I know who you're talking about, but it doesn't seem like that would be too hard for the programmers to overcome (I don't know poo poo about programming btw). Oh well.

PotatoManJack posted:

Just wantd to echo everyone in saying I'm really enjoying the LP. I had never heard of this game, and it looks like it has some serious barriers to entry, but the pace at which you present mechanics and of the videos themselves make it easy to digest.

I find that this is a great LP to listen to and half watch while plugging away at work :)
Thanks, it's always encouraging to hear this kind of thing :D

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Oh man, that timeline stuff at the end of the latest video was extremely helpful in contextualizing what the hell is going on in this game. You should put those infographics in the threadpost itself, or perhaps in the next update's post?
Yeah I'll have to figure out something. There is still a lot of assumptions I'm making with that timeline, I'm a little reluctant to make a declaration of it as fact. Maybe just put up a disclaimer with the final timeline image, that should work...anyway, I'll try to fit in more timeline stuff here and there, but it really added to the amount of time it took to make that video.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

HaroldofTheRock posted:

“What do you mean I talk too loud!?”
People know him for his booming voice.”
However, what Alonso is best known for is being a very loud talker, and his comrades talk about it behind his back frequently. He is aware of how loud he is, but he has no desire to lower his volume.”

Can this guy be our Lance Knight? :allears:

Also, he has crazy-high VIT and a unique elemental affinity for our group, but mostly it's the voice thing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Also, he has crazy-high VIT and a unique elemental affinity for our group, but mostly it's the voice thing.

Funny thing about elemental affinities. For the most part the elemental attribute of the knight will not affect the damage output of the weapon in use. In fact it's as it was probably already said in the thread that it only provides a minor boosts to transoul if both subjects are the same affinity and unlock a super move that also takes up a bar to use with the standard charge time for extra damage, and it takes a hefty chunk of vitality. For the most part you won't ever use it outside of particularly difficult stages where you need the enemy killed right here and now.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

If that's the case, then having a unique elemental affinity is still a useful attribute. It means that this character can reap the benefits of trans-souling any and all lightning affinity units that don't have a special bond to another team member.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Seconding that the timeline stuff is very useful. Watching the game at LP speed means it's hard to remember when the characters pop up.

EDIT: Just watched the latest video. I didn't remember how often (mechanic chat in the spoiler) you'd have to break a container to get ANOTHER key item after they respawn. gently caress you, game.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 26, 2014

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Just watched the latest video. I didn't remember how often (mechanic chat in the spoiler) you'd have to break a container to get ANOTHER key item after they respawn. gently caress you, game.

That's why you need to destroy everything with a warrior. In fact, you need to wait for something to respawn on the very first scene to get everything from it. This scene was one of the worst, though - 3 items only show up in respawned objects; we only got 2 in the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: LEVELING MODE:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5G8Dm3t9Qg
:siren:
Kind of an extra, nonessential video here, covering the "Leveling" option on the main menu. Which is a great feature, especially if you enjoy the gameplay as much as I do. This is my first video in which I recorded, then afterward I watched the video and spoke about what was going on. Previous videos had me talking while recording the gameplay. I'd like some feedback on if this; it is my preference to do post commentary but of course I still need to do a half decent job explaining what's going on. Also, I had a frog in my drat throat that I could not get rid of, so I sound like I'm stricken with some horrible disease.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Works for me! Alonso is hereby promoted from "transoul fodder" to "permanent Knight", with all the rights and privileges associated.

Annointed posted:

Funny thing about elemental affinities. For the most part the elemental attribute of the knight will not affect the damage output of the weapon in use. In fact it's as it was probably already said in the thread that it only provides a minor boosts to transoul if both subjects are the same affinity and unlock a super move that also takes up a bar to use with the standard charge time for extra damage, and it takes a hefty chunk of vitality. For the most part you won't ever use it outside of particularly difficult stages where you need the enemy killed right here and now.

Yep. I mentioned in one of the videos, but I plan to have one of each Knight class that I level up, which actually is a pretty poor strategy because it limits you to, say, only one Warrior with neutral affinity. However since you get a fairly steady stream of Knights throughout the game, I should be able to have enough on hand just through recruiting as many as I can that, should the need arise for, say, an Ice affinity Warrior, I can probably scrape one up.

Fat Samurai and BlazeEmblem posted:

Key item acquisition

Yeah, this part of the game is...odd. On one hand it forces you to be strategic; I do enjoy plotting out beforehand how each obstacle is going to be looted, but on the other hand, it kind of breaks the flow of the game when you need to put too much emphasis on the items. Breaking an object and then waiting around for it to respawn just plain sucks.

We haven't had any times where we were unable to recruit a Knight, but that will happen sooner or later. I've already missed a couple key items that were for NPCs, as we saw in the past videos. Que sera,sera I guess.

• Locked thread