Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Most items from NPC's can be farmed on training stages so it won't end up hurting the player if they miss an NPC key item. Which is quite pleasant, unless you're in the harder difficulties where it's practically required to have gear of decent durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Now that you've recruited all the different unit types, I can see now why using one of each type isn't particularly ideal. There's probably room to have two of the important types.

Perhaps I haven't seen all of the obstacles the game can throw at us yet, but it seems pretty clear that there's a hierarchy of unit types. Something like:

Lance Knight > Warrior > Duelist > Everything else

Lance Knights are clearly the most important unit due to facing all four directions AND having the most movement range. Warriors are arguably more important, but I suspect that there's enough units that getting every key item isn't as vital to beating the game if you aren't trying to recruit everyone. Duelists are key for traversing height differences.

The other classes don't really seem to have anything that makes them irreplaceable? They have unique attack patterns, sure, but the combination of Lance Knight movement + anyone seems like it would be able to suffice for reaching most enemies? I supposed the ranged classes are slightly better for that than the non-long-range classes. I can't see any compelling reason to use the magic classes over Archers, though. And Hermits don't seem like they bring anything to the table. Do they just have really fast charge times?

Re: Levelling video
The Post-commentary works fine. Though this particular video didn't have much going on after you showed off the levelling function the first time and explained how it worked. There wasn't much strategy to really discuss so you could have cut out the other Levelling maps and condensed the commentary some. Still, one video dedicated to the feature is also fine, but at this point, I'm personally more invested in seeing us recruit more Knights and how the story is going to unfold rather than the minutiae of the battles unless something novel shows up (like a tricky enemy, or a problematic field hazard, or a new recruit showing up out of nowhere, or a new weapon with a cool animation getting used).

I think you can start to cut out more of the battle rounds from this point on and perhaps have videos that cover more than one cutscene. This will decrease not only your running time, but also the amount of 'well, here we are, fighting, just like we did the last few videos, with no notable changes' you'll have to write interesting commentary for. Luckily, recruiting new Knights each fight will help keep each scene somewhat notable. Compressing multiple battles into single videos would also allow you play through the game faster to keep the story's pace more brisk and fresh. And that might make it easier for you to focus on the cool timeline/plot recap talk. This is all personal bias since I favor story over repetitive battles in LPs, but KitN could certainly surprise me by having more interesting battle strategy to talk about than I realize in upcoming fights? In the end, you'll have to make the call on what you want to highlight.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd argue priestesses are up there with Warrior since they have a superior attack range in law phase than warriors and can change the affinities of enemy units. The second lowest would be the Wizard. Sure they can farm mp crystals quickly, but their damage leaves something to be desired and usually using an attack is faster than laying a trap and wait for the enemy to walk on it. The lowest in my opinion would have to be assassins. Their range is small and in odd shapes and status effects aren't as good at the dead effect. And when I do need their damage output I feel better off using anyone else because I can hit multiple more reliably.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Remember that Lance Knight movement is severely hampered by any change in height. That hasn't been a huge problem yet, but it'll be a pain later on. In general, tiers don't amount to much because the best class of knight to use is whichever will get you the item, placement or kill that you need. I'll grant you Wizards have the least useful gimmick--mostly I use them during Chaos phase to nuke big groups of enemies.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well, priestesses have one of the most broken weapons available, in fact I suspect it's a bug. It's a light staff that does way too much damage, to the point where a light priestess actually does less damage with the special attack than any other priestess with the normal attack. When I got tired of the game in the last half I basically just used the priestesses to break the game and just get me through to the ending. Can't remember the name of the weapon though, been too long.

Plus priestesses have some of the best attack ranges I've seen, so there's that.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
As others have said, Priestesses have pretty good range, and the attack is pretty straight forward...it's a long T-shaped attack range. In addition, Priestesses' weapons tend to be able to cover a decent Height disparity; for example the Law Phase weapons we have right now cover -4 to +4. Not bad for right out of the gate.

As for the rest of the classes, in my opinion it really comes down to circumstances and preference.

Rangpur posted:

In general, tiers don't amount to much because the best class of knight to use is whichever will get you the item, placement or kill that you need.

I agree with this.

Archers have great potential for damage and can work well with other units: you can stun an enemy with archer Law Phase, then while it's helpless, follow up with another Knight. They do extra damage to large enemies, so they can help out with bosses.

Duelists are probably my least used class, I tend to have them hop to wherever I need them, then struggle to find a good use for them. So they fill a key role but I tend not to use them for kills very often. Wizards take a lot of your time to charge, but they're fun so gently caress it. Hermits are probably the hardest class to defend; their Law Phase attack is a weird V shape and can be a little hard to use, but they do cause status effects that can be fun to mess with, plus they have a quirk that's shared with Archers: the higher up they are elevation wise, the faster they charge. Plus they're freakin cool :colbert: I have at least one boss in mind that I know is going to have to contend with Moira.

Warriors are the go-to unit if you want to attack northwest/northeast in Chaos Phase--their range is pretty good, and the only other classes that can attack NW/NE are Duelists and Lance Knights, both of which need to move in order for the attack to go through.

Lance Knights are fun and being able to face any direction is pretty huge, but again, their Chaos Phase attack requires them to move, which sometimes you don't want to do, or can't do. By the way, there was a video in which Mardin kept crashing into a ghost and dazing it. At the time I just kind of laughed and moved on, but I think I figured out exactly why that happened:

Mardin was doing a knockback every time he tackled the ghost. The ghost was actually being pushed off the playable area of the stage (the map was sort of a pier, and the ghost was getting shoved into the water). There is a special circumstance in which, if an enemy is pushed off a cliff and falls more than 3 Height units, it will be stunned when it lands. I think the ghost was pushed off the field and into an area of the game with no defined Height, so the game decided yeah, it fell more than 3 units. Note that the ghost is a flier, so it was able to be pushed off the playable area; later Mardin was slamming into a witch, but she didn't get pushed off the map like the ghost. The game doesn't want you to get kills by shoving enemies off the map.

At any rate, I'll try to do a decent job representing all the classes as much as I can, but honestly I have a feeling our Duelist will not see a tremendous amount of playtime. We still have a special class to use, though I really don't care for it and when the time comes I'll be sure to explain why.

Keldulas posted:

Well, priestesses have one of the most broken weapons available, in fact I suspect it's a bug. It's a light staff that does way too much damage, to the point where a light priestess actually does less damage with the special attack than any other priestess with the normal attack. When I got tired of the game in the last half I basically just used the priestesses to break the game and just get me through to the ending. Can't remember the name of the weapon though, been too long.

Plus priestesses have some of the best attack ranges I've seen, so there's that.

Now this I was not aware of, I'll have to keep an eye out for that weapon. Sanctity affinity?

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Re: Levelling video
The Post-commentary works fine. Though this particular video didn't have much going on after you showed off the levelling function the first time and explained how it worked. There wasn't much strategy to really discuss so you could have cut out the other Levelling maps and condensed the commentary some. Still, one video dedicated to the feature is also fine, but at this point, I'm personally more invested in seeing us recruit more Knights and how the story is going to unfold rather than the minutiae of the battles unless something novel shows up (like a tricky enemy, or a problematic field hazard, or a new recruit showing up out of nowhere, or a new weapon with a cool animation getting used).

Thanks for the feedback! my biggest concern with cutting the gameplay is, I'm afraid that at some point the videos will be more cutscenes than action. My other concern with the post commentary was making sure that people could follow what I was doing...I went through the motions fairly fast this time, since I wasn't explaining "now I'm going to use the Lance Knight to hit this blob" etc. So I want to make sure you could follow the action, I know it goes pretty fast now.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: SCENE 8:GATHERING OF THE FOUR:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpnXy5IT4Lc
:siren:

KNIGHTS WE RECRUITED LAST TIME
Simone Alexei of the 2nd Order

Class: Priestess
Atlus.com says this of Simone:
No entry!
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Ivory Disciple
”Her gentle, caring, motherly personality has garnered her immense popularity among her peers. From time to time, she acts as a fortuneteller, and many consider her readings to be very accurate. She and Cress have been very close since the two entered knighthood, and Simone trusts her with her deepest secrets.”

Crozeph Ross Arlay of the 4th Order

“There will only be one to whom I open my heart.”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com says this of Crozeph:
”An intelligent officer of the 4th Order. She can be aloof, but underneath she hides a gentle heart. A capable writer, she tossed that aside to become a knight.”
Fiery Heart
”She is loyal and noble, but she cuts herself off to everyone around her except her childhood friend, Raphael. She does not believe in having many friends because she cannot bear to see people she cares about get hurt or die. She is also a talented writer and sometimes speaks in metaphors. Many of her comrades find her aloofness attractive, and Crozeph frequently receives love letters from both men and women!”

Lillian I. Amnoble 4th Order

“I’ve never had many friends.”
Class: Duelist
Atlus.com says this of Lillian:
”Though not much of a knight in attitude, she is devoted to her kingdom and the people within it. She is good friends with Annalot, wishing her success in her prayers.”
Elegant Force
”Although responsible and highly capable, Lillian much prefers the social aspects of knighthood. She loves looking after children and playing games with them, and she wishes she could spend more time with her childhood friend, Annalot.”

PROPOSED TIMELINE

This is the timeline discussed in Video 9. It is subject to error!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yep, that's the look of an evil witch.

Anyway, I'm interested in where the story is going. So far it seems standard FF fare, with the Grand Vizier being evil and one of his sidekicks being even worse, but our good guy is already dead, and seemingly without influence over the living. Either we're mere spectators or the final battle is going to be weird-

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I had no idea Crozeph was a girl. None.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That's okay, confusion over gender just comes with her archetype (which is really popular in Japanese pop culture, apparently--see also Naoto in Persona 4).

They do some interesting things with the flashbacks but I suppose as far as plot set-up goes, the game's not that unique... The big twist is that everyone who could do something about all these evil schemes is already dead. Not that it seems to be slowing them down much, but that's the key difference. All the Knights you recruit are dead, the townsfolk are dead, and even if you manage to stop whatever the Cardinal's plotting from beyond the grave the kingdom's still effectively been wiped out.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I do watch these videos at 1.5 speed, but don't feel bad; it means the battle sections look like they are being played by a goddamn sorcerer.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Man, the post commentary really makes things go by faster. Before this, I would always go to a different tab while this was playing in the background, but now I don't need to.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
That was a pretty cool plot dump. I wonder if the messenger girl they were talking about in the 7-days-before flashback is one of the knights we've met already?

Yelma has "final boss" written all over her... And I'm just now starting to notice how freaking weird the moon looks around Aventheim. I -really- wanna know what the catastrophe was!

Great video, I particularly loved the recap at the beginning. The whole video was actually a really smooth ride the whole way through.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is a pretty neat story, for all that we're only seeing the aftermath of it.

You'd think the armored maiden would just be following the trail of dead monsters, but it seems like we'rs only clearing them out enough to move forward and they probably fill in behind us.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: SCENE 9: HER OWN PURPOSE:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wCXnDr9hk
:siren::siren:

KNIGHTS WE RECRUITED LAST TIME:
Bonita Yorick of the 11th Order

“We knights must always see the bigger picture.”
Atlus.com says this of Bonita:
”Despite being a troubled child, Bonita is known in the knight kingdom for being one with true common sense who won’t hold back from speaking her mind.”
High Inquisitor
”Always brash and bold when expressing her opinions, she does not hesitate to say what is on her mind. Bonita was a problem child growing up, but Jorgen helped straighten her out. Bonita hates Juno because she feels Juno embodies what she herself used to be.”

Frieber Will Permeal of the 2nd Order

“A teacher’s finest moment is when the student surpasses him. Such is my daughter.”
Class: Wizard
Atlus.com says this of Frieber:
”A divorced man who devoted himself to his daughter, Annalot. Though he is getting on in age, he is well respected and still lends his expertise to the young knights.”
Sable Adept
”He is a veteran Wizard who cares deeply for his peers, but his greatest concern in life is the welfare of his daughter, Annalot. Frieber spends a lot of time with Lillian and Hilgard, and he treats them like family. As he grows older, he does not cling to the past, but rather, he embraces the younger generation of knights who will one day be taking over.”

Lyzz Linda Ragford of the 2nd Order

“People know I work hard. But the truth is, I lack the confidence to do any less.”
Class: Priestess
Atlus.com says this of Lyzz:
”Orphaned at a young age, Lyzz became a quiet admirer of the skilled knights around her. She can often be found playing her flute.”
Light Bringer
”Her loving parents passed away while Lyzz was very young, and she was adopted by Isabel. She is constantly unsure of herself, so she puts everything she has into each task she undertakes. When Lyzz joined the knights, Ernest saw she had great potential but lacked the confidence, so he took her under his wing. She has also become good friends with Woosh, and she holds all her superiors in high regard.”

:siren: State of the LP:siren:
I have some family gatherings going on, so next update will probably take longer than normal. In the meantime I'm going to try to figure out how to streamline my process better. I like doing the timeline/recap stuff, but the one for Scene 8 literally extended the time it took me to do the update by like 40%, and it resulted in only a couple minutes of recap. Unfortunately that's not sustainable for me. Either I need to get smarter about how I make them, or I need to not do them very often, or I need to move to a slower update schedule. Another problem is that I'm frontloading the videos with story. The reason why I normally record a video up until the battle preparation of the next fight is so that the next videos can jump right in to the fight. That way if people aren't interested in the story, they can just watch the first part of the video and be done. But now I'm undoing that when I have recaps at the start of a video. Stuff for me to ponder!

Man Dancer posted:

I do watch these videos at 1.5 speed, but don't feel bad; it means the battle sections look like they are being played by a goddamn sorcerer.
What a coincidence! I actually slow down the videos by 50% before I upload them, so people will be able to follow easier. In real life I sound like a chipmunk.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Man, the post commentary really makes things go by faster. Before this, I would always go to a different tab while this was playing in the background, but now I don't need to.
Glad to hear! I definitely prefer doing post commentary, but there will be at least one or two more episodes that I do live, when the time comes.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

I wonder if the messenger girl they were talking about in the 7-days-before flashback is one of the knights we've met already?
Good catch! You'll know soon :ninja:

As for the plot discussion...I do enjoy the plot, although it's told in an unnecessarily convoluted manner. And yeah, it definitely hits some tropes, but I think we'll have plenty to talk about as it unfolds :)

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I have finally been cracking open boxes after a recent move, and I found my original Tome of Lost Souls! Pretty spoily, but it is fun to be able to see all the knightly orders together and figure out where everyone is. The depth of this games' lore and systems are bananas, especially considering that the main production team was a handful of people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've played thousands of games in my life and this is definiteltly the weirdest goddamn game I've ever played. It's like a frankensteinian mish-mash of other game concepts stitched together gameplay-wise and the plot is similarly obtuse.

I will never fault them for it, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bonita's death reminds me a lot of how battles in Yggdra Union looked, with dying knights in each team just letting go of their weapons that then would get stuck on the floor. I see Sting keeps some ideas between games, even if they're all very different.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bonita's death reminds me a lot of how battles in Yggdra Union looked, with dying knights in each team just letting go of their weapons that then would get stuck on the floor. I see Sting keeps some ideas between games, even if they're all very different.

Yeah, I think that is what they were going for.

This is actually the first time I have ever seen a knight die - I have never let any stay on the field that get that low.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Now I wonder how Maria is going to work mechanically. She's alive, so maybe she doesn't "dissolve"? Transouling into the living sounds even worse than fusing dead souls together.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

quote:

I like doing the timeline/recap stuff, but the one for Scene 8 literally extended the time it took me to do the update by like 40%, and it resulted in only a couple minutes of recap. Unfortunately that's not sustainable for me. Either I need to get smarter about how I make them, or I need to not do them very often, or I need to move to a slower update schedule.

If it's easier, why not just do timeline discussion in the forum posts? Text and diagrams are just as easy to follow if you don't want to make video ones.

I'd hate for you to cut it out completely, but don't burn yourself out if you're not having fun discussing the story.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Hey everyone,

I’m currently working on the next update, but I wanted to make a post discussing one of the story aspects that I find really interesting:

Do the Knights know what the hell is going on? To what extent? What about the citizenry? Does anyone understand that they’re dead?
I don’t have an answer for this question (but I do have an opinion). I’ve gathered some evidence to present:

Johann during Pause Talk:

So he has a memory of his attack. Remember, we watched him die in the first flashback, when a lamia killed him in short order.

Lillian during Pause Talk:

Lillian is most likely referring to the number of Knights that had been stationed in the area; however the Knights were stationed before the tragedy at the castle. When we meet Lillian, after the tragedy, she says this but there aren’t really any Knights around. Or townspeople.

Lillian recruitment:

Well the thing is, you’re already dead, Lillian…

Annalot recruitment:

Similar to Lillian’s recruitment.

Norton, an NPC from Scene 3, during Pause Talk:

So he seems to have a faint memory of being attacked, but it’s not clear if he knows how it turned out.

Norton, during another Pause Talk:

Presumably he’s talking about his death. Who is he talking to? Remember, the characters aren’t talking directly to the Wisp. The Wisp is reading their inner monologues during these Pause Talks, though Norton might be thinking internally to the Wisp I guess.

Maimi, an NPC from Scene 7, during Pause Talk:

Again…you’re dead…

So far this is looking fairly one sided, but look at these screens:

Michel, about to be Transouled to Johann:

Well he seems to understand what’s happening…

Johann, after receiving Michel’s soul:

…and Johann seems to understand what he’s received.

Bonn, about to be Transouled to Moira:

I would argue Bonn understands what’s happening here.

Moira, after receiving Bonn’s soul:

Same with Moira.

Mardin, being Exiled:

And Mardin seems to understand this.

Some other things of note:

I’ve played through the game twice. The Knights often say stuff like “I’ll fight, if it helps the kingdom!” or “I’ll come with you!”, but I don’t recall them ever addressing the Wisp directly as the King. Or even addressing the Wisp directly; they seem to only use vague terms like “you”.

The Knights do not interact with any other characters (for example, Johann is constantly talking about how he misses his mother, but when her spirit was seen in Scene 5, he did not interact with her). They acknowledge when they’re transouled though.

What do you guys think? Do these people understand they're dead? What do they understand?

On a different subject, during the present time cutscene for Scene 9, we see Maria (referred to as the Armored Maiden) in Regnieburg Richt, which is a residential area of Regnieburg. She gazes at Aventheim Castle. At around the same time, we see Yelma looking at the castle as well, from the Fortress Sky Bridge. Here are their viewpoints:

Maria:
Yelma:

Nothing really important here, but you can get a very rough idea of where they are in relation to each other. And wtf is going on with the moon?

Man Dancer posted:

I have finally been cracking open boxes after a recent move, and I found my original Tome of Lost Souls! Pretty spoily, but it is fun to be able to see all the knightly orders together and figure out where everyone is. The depth of this games' lore and systems are bananas, especially considering that the main production team was a handful of people.
Yeah, it's really crazy how much of the story is presented in the book. You're right about it being spoilery, but it connects the dots for a lot of things I'd never have put together. It's been said several times in this thread, but the book is totally worth it if you want to dig into the game more. I've been dinking around online reading about the other Dept. Heaven games and the overarching story is huge!

Blaze Dragon posted:

A similar thing happens when you Exile a unit, which I did in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDqYc3Y-u4&list=UUEgXjHI1yyRtAPVediP9gcQ. Furthermore, some bosses do it when they are killed. Neat little continuity thing there, I had no idea it was in other games.

Fat Samurai posted:

Now I wonder how Maria is going to work mechanically. She's alive, so maybe she doesn't "dissolve"? Transouling into the living sounds even worse than fusing dead souls together.
This will get covered in the next video. Maria is...interesting.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

If it's easier, why not just do timeline discussion in the forum posts? Text and diagrams are just as easy to follow if you don't want to make video ones.

I'd hate for you to cut it out completely, but don't burn yourself out if you're not having fun discussing the story.
Well thing is, I do enjoy doing the story stuff in the videos, but I can't continue to spend embarrassing amounts of time on each video. I was thinking of maybe just doing occasional plot catchup videos that would be separate from the gameplay ones. So the gameplay videos would still contain the cutscenes and flashbacks, but I wouldn't really discuss them too much until the catchup video. I don't know if big dumps are appropriate for this story though, the plot is so dense it seems like it would be best to mete it out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HaroldofTheRock posted:

What do you guys think? Do these people understand they're dead? What do they understand?

My pet theory is that the knights don't know what they're going through until they are recruited. Contact with the wisps may be enough to make them aware of their situation.

How the wisp does this is anybody's guess, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The moon itself is a soul, that goes from activated to deactivated depending on who's looking at it!

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 10: Liberator's Proposal:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_DvOx2igY

Knights we recruited last time:
Staehel Rudolila of the 11th Order

Class: Archer
Atlus.com says this of Staehel:
No entry!
Infernal Lightning
”Always the honorable and humble Archer, he is loved by all his subordinates. Upon receiving his promotion, Staehel’s friends gave him a brand new bow, but he used it so much that it broke. He is currently searching for a master fletcher to repair it. While his unit is often criticized for being too relaxed, he firmly believes that nothing prepares for battle better than high morale and a hearty laugh. He greatly respects Walder.”

Annalot Ella Permeal of the 4th Order

“I won’t hamper my father with my inexperience.”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com says this of Annalot:
”The young daughter of Freiber, Annalot believes she lacks experience, yet exhibits a kind, stately maturity. She is both strong-willed and noble.”
Noble Cub
”One of the newest and youngest recruits, Annalot tries hard to hone her skills and to take after her father, Freiber. She has been friends with Lillian since they were in school together, and Lillian loves to remind her of her embarrassing childhood nickname, ‘Clumsy Anna’.”

Nina H. Answorth of the 4th Order

“In reality, I’m a knight. In truth, I will never be...”
Atlus.com says this of Nina:
”The younger sister of Hampton. Her family has served the kingdom as knights for generations, and she was no exception despite being unfit to do so.”
Dutiful Slicer
”She is a weak and timid young girl who only joined the knights to carry on the family tradition. She is constantly worried she is not cut out to be a knight, and she would much rather be in another line of work. Fortunately, she can find strength in her brother, Hampton, her friend, Annalot, and her supervisor, Reinhart.”

Fat Samurai posted:

My pet theory is that the knights don't know what they're going through until they are recruited. Contact with the wisps may be enough to make them aware of their situation.

How the wisp does this is anybody's guess, though.

I could buy this, but I think the Knights don't get the full story. To me it's more like they're vaguely aware but I don't think it's really sunk in. Who knows, though.

Gologle posted:

The moon itself is a soul, that goes from activated to deactivated depending on who's looking at it!

Recruit Moon Key item: Green Cheese. "People think I'm made of this stuff!" Upon recruitment: "Who ordered the high tide??"

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I love the all of the random voices in the game, but my favorite is diffidently when Maria misses: "How could I miss?", putting a weird stress on the word miss. It always cracks me up.

It should be noted that both the Japanese versions and the English versions have the same vocals - they could be from people in Japan, or Sting could have outsourced the voice work to Atlus, like they did with the card text for Yggdra Union. I am not sure what happened.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

I got the impression that the knights can't recall actually -dying-. It's possible some of them remember enough of the events just before their deaths that they can sort of deduce that they might've died, but none of them seem to remember the moment of death itself, not even Johann, who seems to be most aware what happened to him. I suspect that contact with the Wisp gives them renewed sentience to a degree, so they can pledge to fight for some cause. I think the fact that they realize they are disappearing when you Transoul them is actually further support for them not realizing they were already dead. They feel like they are dying for the first time, if you will.

I did not know that this game had English voicework in the Japanese release. That's pretty interesting. I'd like to see the credits now...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

For better or for worse the knights you recruit don't interact with each other during your setup time. Better in the fact you can be very efficient, just do your daily repair and levels/transoul. Sort of worse because outside of deploying knights who know each other in combat/cutscenes/level up quotes, you can't really see them develop.

Though I justified the reason why none have a cutscene where they all panic over being dead is because they're all too badass for that.

"Even in death I still serve" and all that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I like how the game makes you care about the Knights even with barely any screen time. Most of them seem to be OK guys and gals.

And now they are dead :smith:

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 11: Gatekeeper of Doom. Clash with Rivulia the Judgment:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02cpAAYADY

Knights we recruited last time:
Maria a.k.a The Armored Maiden

“I shall guide you to the place where you belong.”
Class: Valkyrie
Atlus.com says this of Maria:
”A mysterious maiden, clad in golden armor. She offers her cooperation to the Wisp for unknown reasons, serving as its guide for what she knows it seeks.”
The Armor-clad Maiden of Mystery
”The mysterious Valkyrie who stole Wilmgard’s soul from Aventheim Castle and freed him at the abandoned church.” (spoiler stuff redacted)

BlazeEmblem posted:

I love the all of the random voices in the game, but my favorite is diffidently when Maria misses: "How could I miss?", putting a weird stress on the word miss. It always cracks me up.

It should be noted that both the Japanese versions and the English versions have the same vocals - they could be from people in Japan, or Sting could have outsourced the voice work to Atlus, like they did with the card text for Yggdra Union. I am not sure what happened.
Maria also has the phrase, "We don't have time to waste", which I had the pleasure of listening to 6-7 times in a row during one of my playthroughs, and now it's like a nail through my ear. I'm not wasting time! God!

Most of the voices are covered in 4 categories: High pitched female, low pitched female, high pitched male, low pitched male. One of the things the high pitched female says is "Damaged!! if you take a hit. I particularly like that one, because the tone it's said in really makes it sound like "drat it!!" Sometimes the stars align, and you're watching your knight charge instead of keeping an eye on the enemy fire, and you take an easily avoidable bullet only to hear the voice say drat IT!! Makes me smile.

In most games, I'd be super annoyed with all the voices talking nonstop, but for some reason it works in Knights in the Nightmare. I like the idea of a bunch of disembodied voices coming in and out, really lends to the situation in my opinion.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

I got the impression that the knights can't recall actually -dying-. It's possible some of them remember enough of the events just before their deaths that they can sort of deduce that they might've died, but none of them seem to remember the moment of death itself, not even Johann, who seems to be most aware what happened to him. I suspect that contact with the Wisp gives them renewed sentience to a degree, so they can pledge to fight for some cause. I think the fact that they realize they are disappearing when you Transoul them is actually further support for them not realizing they were already dead. They feel like they are dying for the first time, if you will.

I did not know that this game had English voicework in the Japanese release. That's pretty interesting. I'd like to see the credits now...

I like this theory. The idea that the Knights are pledging to a cause but they don't really understand the circumstance is pitiful and sad but would be a necessary evil.

Annointed posted:

For better or for worse the knights you recruit don't interact with each other during your setup time. Better in the fact you can be very efficient, just do your daily repair and levels/transoul. Sort of worse because outside of deploying knights who know each other in combat/cutscenes/level up quotes, you can't really see them develop.

Though I justified the reason why none have a cutscene where they all panic over being dead is because they're all too badass for that.

"Even in death I still serve" and all that.

Yeah the fact that there's no down time when you can say walk around and talk to the Knights or watch them interact with each other really speaks volumes to me that they're these entities that you pull out like pocket monsters, then put them away when you're done and they're none the wiser.

Fat Samurai posted:

I like how the game makes you care about the Knights even with barely any screen time. Most of them seem to be OK guys and gals.

And now they are dead :smith:

Yeah, for example the scene where the Knights charge Rivulia with the understanding that they're hoping for just one survivor to make it past so they can reach command...you have to admire them. They're brave, if nothing else. Hell, even in the flashback with Firenz and Dreyuss, in which they're searching for the werewolf...at first Firenz comes off as kind of an underachiever ("Kid, we're turning back. You don't actually want to find the werewolf, do you? Let's get out of here."), but when they get jumped by the werewolf, it leaps to Firenz and his first (and only) sentence he manages is GET OUTTA HERE KID!!. Then, if you Pause Talk with him after recruitment, he says something to the effect of "I wonder if that kid got away...".

What I'm trying to say is the Knights are awesome.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Wow, I think that boss fight is the first time I've seen the game look 'hard' so far in terms of the attacks and amount of stuff on screen / difficulty in dodging. That was a quite cool fight to watch!

How many scenes are in the game out of curiosity (if you can say without spoiling the game)?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
There's around 47 Scenes, I think. So we're near the 25% mark. Glad you liked the fight, the bosses are a real highlight in the game--there are a lot of creative attacks the developers put in.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I love, love, love the portrait of Maria, because it's so cool and majestic even compared to the knights. Using her in battle and having her in your "party" feels wonderful, because you have a sense of sublime power. Also yes, pretty much all the knights are really cool people. Willimgard's kingdom was basically Camelot, until poo poo went down fast.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, now we have a proper bullet hell. OK, not quite, but it seems we're getting there.

Does it get any worse? I hope it gets worse.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Gologle posted:

I love, love, love the portrait of Maria, because it's so cool and majestic even compared to the knights. Using her in battle and having her in your "party" feels wonderful, because you have a sense of sublime power. Also yes, pretty much all the knights are really cool people. Willimgard's kingdom was basically Camelot, until poo poo went down fast.

Yeah Maria has this distinctly regal look about her. That and the fact that she's so mysterious makes her very intriguing--where'd she come from??

Fat Samurai posted:

Welp, now we have a proper bullet hell. OK, not quite, but it seems we're getting there.

Well right now, we have 3 monsters to fight per turn. Eventually (I forget when), a fourth monster is added to the mix, and as the game progresses, they all begin to attack faster.

Then there are the bosses.

Yeah, it gets worse :smith:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

HaroldofTheRock is just playing on normal difficulty. There are two higher difficulty levels :getin:.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
What does difficulty level change in this game? Is it more bullets? More time loss per hit? Does VIT drain faster?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

HaroldofTheRock is just playing on normal difficulty. There are two higher difficulty levels :getin:.

Sorry to disappoint, but as far as I've played higher difficulties in terms of enemies only increase damage. It would be cool if there were different bullet hell patterns, maybe there just wasn't enough space for it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Annointed posted:

Sorry to disappoint, but as far as I've played higher difficulties in terms of enemies only increase damage. It would be cool if there were different bullet hell patterns, maybe there just wasn't enough space for it.

:negative: Okay, I admit it - I've never played the nightmare difficulty.

What I was referring to was that enemies get their attacks faster in higher difficulties, so you have to deal with more stuff onscreen at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: SCENE 12: Whisper in the Shadows:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds53f8osFc8

KNIGHTS WE RECRUITED LAST TIME:
Walder W. Wallace of the 2nd Order

Class: Archer
Atlus.com says this of Walder:
No entry!
Deadly Phantom
”Walder’s marksmanship is thought to be nearly unparalleled among knights, second only to General Granitz himself. His sharp gaze causes people to regard him as cold and uninviting, but he is actually quite concerned for the welfare of those around him. He is very focused, and he does not rest until he has finished what he set out to accomplish. Walter’s surprisingly vast vocabulary has been known to impress the kingdom’s poets and orators.”

BOSS FIGHT FROM LAST TIME:
RIVULIA: GATEKEEPER OF DOOM

Illustrator Yoshinori Iwanaga posted:

When I'd first looked at the sketches by (Creative Design/Illustrator) Ms. Kiyuduki, my first thought was "It's not going to fit on the paper...! *laugh*

Creative Design/Illustrator Satoko Kiyuduki posted:

The initial rough sketch for her made her feel like a peaceful, docile character, so (Game Design & Direction) Mr. Ito made me revise the designs. He asked for a lot of additions, like the iron hammer and the scales... *laugh* I think about 70% of her final design was done by (Game Design & Direction) Mr. Ito.

• Locked thread