Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

More like total bore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my god your posts loving suck

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
had fun with it for a while but as always it doesn't take a lot to outsmart the AI

also once you have half the map or so and you're rolling with momentum the game loses interest for me since at that point my victory is a foregone conclusion and I don't feel like mopping up the other half the map.

massacring AI armies trying to cross a bridge while I hold the other side never loses its fun for me though.

soprofol
Nov 2, 2014
im gay

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

turn 8 and I had a slave revolt...somehow the slaves got cavalry and better weapons than anyone...got to watch them fight my 8 garrison units on a wall for for 40 minutes before I randomly lost

this is with the 'empire edition', which I guess is the official launch version now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you're having slave revolts by turn 8 that are actually managing to kick your rear end you are loving up really bad

it's unfair to the game when people are just bad at it and then go 'this game blows' imo. takes away from legit criticisms

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

had fun with it for a while but as always it doesn't take a lot to outsmart the AI

also once you have half the map or so and you're rolling with momentum the game loses interest for me since at that point my victory is a foregone conclusion and I don't feel like mopping up the other half the map.

I've been playing Advance Wars DS when my lovely comp freezes and I gotta restart the comp and this is basically how I feel about most matchups.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

if you're having slave revolts by turn 8 that are actually managing to kick your rear end you are loving up really bad

it's unfair to the game when people are just bad at it and then go 'this game blows' imo. takes away from legit criticisms

They didn't really kick my rear end, they spawned with a full stack of units that don't exist for any faction yet, and ladders, and I had maybe 4 dudes of my own in the city. I ordered everybody up to the wall and just hit fast forward for 40 minutes, then lost when my guys all got tired or some poo poo.

A year after it's out, I'm surprised I bothered to give it another chance. Glad I didn't pay :filez:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
even though it's like beating up on a kid or something it's also fun to funnel the AI into a small space and then hit them from the flank/rear with a huge cavalry charge and watch all their dudes go 'gently caress that' and run away

BeefThief posted:

They didn't really kick my rear end, they spawned with a full stack of units that don't exist for any faction yet, and ladders, and I had maybe 4 dudes of my own in the city. I ordered everybody up to the wall and just hit fast forward for 40 minutes, then lost when my guys all got tired or some poo poo.

A year after it's out, I'm surprised I bothered to give it another chance. Glad I didn't pay :filez:

well you shouldn't be getting a full stack of well equipped rebels in turn 8 unless you are not at all paying attention on the campaign map, and given that your strat is 'idk go to wall fast forward' my confidence is wavering.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

when this game first came out i decided to paint all the glitches

more here
http://imgur.com/gallery/Mvb3Q

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbwRErSDN4

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Yeah, this game is boring garbage. I thought it was supposed to be all tactical and poo poo? But it was just boring.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
I didn't even get to do anything, the computer just kept telling me what to do.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
the battles are great but the campaign is so crap. its just broken and boring. I don't wanna have to micromanage every city because they die of squalor or something every turn. CA do battles great and everything else kind of sucks

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about Rome 2, but I winning Rome 1 on expert was utterly hilarious as an experience. Here's how you pretty much wreck everyone's face in that game:

1) Hire mercenaries
2) Capture cities with mercenaries
3) Take all the units you can and let the city rot
4) Let it flip then sack it for gold
5) Use the gold to hire more mercenaries
6) Go to step 2

Trying to play and defend cities and keep people happy is loving impossible. Repeatedly burning your own cities after encouraging slave revolts so you can sack gold and buy mercs that are way better than the absolute trash units you can build (not to mention not have to transport them) is the only way to win.

Though it is pretty hilarious to have crucified millions of people by the game's end, mostly your own citizens, and be the victor for it. As long as you keep mass murdering everyone on the map, you'll never really have gold problems for your bloated armies of for-hire fodder. If they get too expensive send them in first and problem solved.

concerned mom posted:

the battles are great but the campaign is so crap. its just broken and boring. I don't wanna have to micromanage every city because they die of squalor or something every turn. CA do battles great and everything else kind of sucks

I literally think to this day that the diplomatic AI in Rome 1 simply is totally disabled. Not once do they ever send help or honor an alliance for more than like, 3 turns. It's total placeholder poo poo that makes Civ's diplomatic AI look genius by comparison.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The diplomacy AI in Rome: Total Diplomacy is much better oh wait that game doesn't exist ha ha ha ha

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
I wish I was a Roman dude

Not like a slave tho, somebody rich

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Crusader Kings II is so much better, let's all learn about Papal politics and feudal inheritance laws

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

BeefThief posted:

Did you ever get rid of the you know, battle time limit?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm guessing no but try not loving up by taking loads of slaves with no happiness buildings and turn off the battle time limit in the Game Options menu and you might have fun with it.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Oh okay, so don't take slaves, that'll make the game better, got it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
just play the first one

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Med 2 best TW. Thanks.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Med 2 best TW. Thanks.

every TW i have played since M2 just makes me want to play M2

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

more here
http://imgur.com/gallery/Mvb3Q

i would hang these

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

you are playing it wrong dumbass. just smoke bowls while watching cavalry charges in slomo and listening to godspeed really loud, that doesnt get old nearly as fast

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ghaz posted:

every TW i have played since M2 just makes me want to play M2

wanna multi

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Medieval 2 was a good game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOuRo-Zqz0

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

I love how modern gameplay graphics are equal to pre-rendered cut scenes in 1998

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i pre ordered it because i used to love total war games but it made me never want to play one again. except medieval II and maybe shogun 2 those both loving own bones

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Would you guys stop preordering games for the love of gently caress :negative:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I didn't like this game and I was super hyped for it.
I wish they went back to the familial trees where you could eventually have some 'Next-Alexander' grandson have to deal with hauling his drunk, insane uncles asses out of whatever stupid political or military situation they'd blunder into.

I liked having to think "Uh oh, invasion, who's nearest to...uh oh, it's uncle maxentius"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the best total war game would be if they just replaced the turn based part with Crusader Kings 2 and then replaced the real time part with Mount and Blade

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
I still have yet to play Rome 2. But recently I reinstalled Rome 1 with the because I really wanted to play the Total Realism mod and, holy crap, did that get mind numbingly boring. They replaced all the ingame art with screen shots from the show Rome and kept forcing me to follow the faction script that I simply didn't want to bother with. I recall playing it, like 5 years ago, and it came across as a mod with simply more features added, but still kept the goofiness of vanilla Rome. I had sent two young generals with separate armies to invade Greece, one became faction leader while slowly going completely insane. I eventually banished him to Rhodes where he kept foiling one assassination attempt after another. The other became some sort of god general where he could take on three full stacks at a time with his half stack army and still get heroic victory with auto calc.

To sum it up, old RTR was awesome, new RTR sucks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just watch Spartacus instead

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got the MedII Americas expansion in some Steam sale a few years back and fired it up, having only ever played the vanilla game. I played as Spain, based myself in cuba and then spent I have no idea how long in game just leading a full stack of conquistadores up into the plains states and riding around for years running into various tiny tribes while the actual power house native teams just dicked around in central and southern america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

glad you posted these bcuz i wanted to but there was no way idve found them

• Locked thread