Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
I just landed a job as an intern with a photographer in New York and I am starting the 8th. of January. I am currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark. So now I need to find a place to live in NYC. I am not going to stay longer than 3 months, so it's short term. My girlfriend is coming with me, so I will need a place that fits 2 persons, that being said we are not to picky. We would prefer to stay somewhere in Brooklyn and our budget is around 1200USD

My questions:
- Where/how do I hunt for an appartement, when I am living 3.700 miles away. Websites, Real estate agents, craigslist, papers?
- Do's and Dont's? Any thing to be particular careful with?
- Do you know anyone who might be able to help? Network seems to be key to getting what you want.

Any help is much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

LAchristus posted:

I just landed a job as an intern with a photographer in New York and I am starting the 8th. of January. I am currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark. So now I need to find a place to live in NYC. I am not going to stay longer than 3 months, so it's short term. My girlfriend is coming with me, so I will need a place that fits 2 persons, that being said we are not to picky. We would prefer to stay somewhere in Brooklyn and our budget is around 1200USD

My questions:
- Where/how do I hunt for an appartement, when I am living 3.700 miles away. Websites, Real estate agents, craigslist, papers?
- Do's and Dont's? Any thing to be particular careful with?
- Do you know anyone who might be able to help? Network seems to be key to getting what you want.

Any help is much appreciated!

You won't find a short term, furnished apartment for two people in Brooklyn for < $1,200 a month, and I hope that $1,200 is purely for rent and does not also include transit and food, because if it does it's literally impossible. If it's just for rent, then $1200 is doable but not for a place just for the two of you; you would have to split a place with some other random person, unless you live on the far side of Long Island or something crazy (but then the train cost will eat up your savings and you'll hate the commute).

Craigslist works surprisingly well in the US, but I can't imagine trusting it unless I was on the spot. Papers are only used by old people and real estate agents won't find you a 3 month prefurnished short term stay. If you're still of student age ( < 30 ) check for university listings. This is personally how I've always done it (though not in NYC) -- sometimes you can register or read the ads without an account.

• Locked thread