Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Me and a friend of mine both worked at a small company and were laid off a few months ago, along with something like 3 or 4 other people. We were both told that the reason we were being laid off was due to them making cutbacks, restructuring the workload, nothing too specific but the long and short of it was that they were short on money and figuring out ways to save it. We were both sent a text by the manager about a week after with some BS about us possibly coming back with a new pay scale that could "work better for us" (per-patient instead of per-hour, which would have definitely been a giant pay cut) and at the recommendation of another friend who works there, both of us ignored the text because apparently the company has a habit of rehiring and then refiring to screw with unemployment claims.

Jump forward to last week, and my friend had a job interview that went great, he was offered the position, but when the background check came back apparently it was reported that he was terminated for excessive tardiness, which I know for a fact was not the case. I ran an employment check on myself to be sure, and unfortunately the only information was that I was terminated with no eligibility for rehire.

What recourse do I have here? My friend is already talking to a lawyer, but I'm not sure what the best steps are for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The easiest thing to do would be just to leave them off your employment history (provided you didn't work there very long). Providing any kind of reason, much less an incorrect one, for termination is colossally frigging stupid.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
How were you laid off - Anything in writing?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Nothing in writing. Called into the office at the end of the day one day, and a bunch of people were called in back to back.

I did work there for about 7 months and at this point the position is a major part of my employment history, so not putting it on my resume is a bit of a big deal for me.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Get a friend to call them up and do an employment verification on you, see what they say. Was the check you did some kind of automated process?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

sanchez posted:

Get a friend to call them up and do an employment verification on you, see what they say. Was the check you did some kind of automated process?

Yep. Do this and if they are lying about you and you feel you need the experience on your resume, pay a lawyer to draft a nastygram threatening a lawsuit for libel. I'm guessing they'll stop doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

sanchez posted:

Yeah it was through a screening company so I dunno exactly how they got their information. I'll probably get this to happen soon.

oxsnard posted:

Yep. Do this and if they are lying about you and you feel you need the experience on your resume, pay a lawyer to draft a nastygram threatening a lawsuit for libel. I'm guessing they'll stop doing that

Rad, this sounds about right.

• Locked thread