Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014

Telesphorus posted:

I make about $2500 per month. This excludes taxes which guts it to around $2000.

Food costs me $500 per month, gas $300, and rent $500.

so I have $700 left which then goes to various other necessities. I'm poor. how poor are you?

That's not really poor. That is not poor at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's pretty poor

it's not broke as gently caress but it's poor

cheap rent, too

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
$500 a month on food = i can eat out every day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's only $16/day

if you're eating 3 healthy meals it's not a huge budget. I mean yeah you can buy a gently caress ton of ramen and eat that for breakfast/lunch/dinner every day at $3/day but it's not healthy for you really.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

it's pretty poor

it's not broke as gently caress but it's poor

cheap rent, too

I split it my with my old lady.

Lots of outrage over my $500 a month on food. I'm interested in hearing what you people eat. I drop $60-80 on groceries* a week, the rest is eating out which I find necessary because what the hell else is there to do on Friday nights?

rice? ramen? beans? no way man

*booze not included. crap booze is the actual problem

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 14, 2014

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Telesphorus posted:

I split it my with my old lady.

Lots of outrage over my $500 a month on food. I'm interested in hearing what you people eat. I drop $60-80 on groceries a week, the rest is eating out which I find necessary because what the hell else is there to do on Friday nights?

rice? ramen? beans? no way man

What if you combine the beans and the rice?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I have about $2500 in bills a month.

Owning a vehicle, having legit medical issues and caring for a dog is bullshit.

I would go back in time to tell 18 year old me to not go to college and just get a job asap. They used to pay smart kids pennies to do desktop support.

Student debt sucks

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's really not a huge food budget.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

it's only $16/day

if you're eating 3 healthy meals it's not a huge budget. I mean yeah you can buy a gently caress ton of ramen and eat that for breakfast/lunch/dinner every day at $3/day but it's not healthy for you really.
Even when I spend a ton on expensive meats and cheeses my food budget is like 250/mo at the very most. I lived off closer to 100 in grad school and still ate really healthily, I just took advantage of bulk cooking and cheap but nutritious foods like eggs and beans and such. If you're spending 500/mo on food you're either incredibly wasteful or incredibly fat. You could straight up just eat out for every meal on 500/mo.

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
i spend £100 a week on food, i live alone. not fat tho which is something i guess.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

Even when I spend a ton on expensive meats and cheeses my food budget is like 250/mo at the very most. I lived off closer to 100 in grad school and still ate really healthily, I just took advantage of bulk cooking and cheap but nutritious foods like eggs and beans and such. If you're spending 500/mo on food you're either incredibly wasteful or incredibly fat. You could straight up just eat out for every meal on 500/mo.

what if he is bulking?

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
I was considering buying myself an avatar but now im guilt ridden

you give me a paypal adress ill give you 20 bucks.

we are really hosed arent we.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ben Smash posted:

I would go back in time to tell 18 year old me to not go to college and just get a job asap. They used to pay smart kids pennies to do desktop support.

Student debt sucks
School is really cheap and a great idea if:

1. Your family pays for it helps you get a job afterwords
2. You get grants/scholarships for being poor and smart
3. Your job pays for it and guarantees a job afterwords

If your family is middle class and in a ton of debt so they can't really help you and you take on 50k of debt to not have any job prospects afterwards though then it's a bad idea.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
My "college bill" is down to 18k

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My menu for the week:

Breakfast every day - 1 cup quick oats made with milk, handful of raisins tossed in if I feel like splurging.
Lunch - Alternate between salad, PB&J, and home made bean burritos. Almonds and dried fruit. Maybe one or two vanilla creme cookies.

For dinner:
Mon/Tue - red beans and rice, salad topped with balsamic vinnegar and olive oil.
Wed/Thur - Pinto beans, cornbread, and greens - remaining beans get mixed into burrito filling, portioned, and frozen.
Friday - grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, corn, brussel sprouts.
Sat/Sun - Vegetarian chili w/ corn chips and sometimes cheese.

Beverages:
mainly water, Home brewed decaf coffee w/creme and aspartame, Decaf unsweet Iced Tea, and an occasional caffeine free diet coke.

Inflation on dried beans has been insane this year - 40%. loving big bean has me by the balls.

My monthly grocery budget falls between $140-$190 for myself, including toiletries, detergent, and whatnot.

Look at you goons throwing your money away on food you enjoy eating.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

You're not eating healthy at less than $200/mo in 2014 unless you are mostly bulk cooking are rarely ever going out. And you're definitely not eating many fresh fruits or vegetables.

The thriftiest plan the USDA can come up with and still keep you at bare minimum nutritional requirements is about $40 a week for the average adult.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/CostofFoodSep2014.pdf

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 14, 2014

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Architect more like starvitect :(

Would be ok if my wife wasn't in nursing school

Moridin920 posted:

You're not eating healthy at less than $200/mo in 2014 unless you are mostly bulk cooking are rarely ever going out. And you're definitely not eating many fresh fruits or vegetables.

Oatmeal, eggs, bananas, spinach, rice, and beans. Welcome to my world. When I'm feeling fancy I buy an avocado and some chicken.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

School is really cheap and a great idea if:

1. Your family pays for it helps you get a job afterwords
2. You get grants/scholarships for being poor and smart
3. Your job pays for it and guarantees a job afterwords

If your family is middle class and in a ton of debt so they can't really help you and you take on 50k of debt to not have any job prospects afterwards though then it's a bad idea.

I'm paying $1,200 a semester to go to an accredited state university, if you're spending $50k to get through school maybe you should stop failing your classes and changing majors or stop going to a for-profit university.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sloppy posted:

Architect more like starvitect :(

Would be ok if my wife wasn't in nursing school

Oatmeal, eggs, bananas, spinach, rice, and beans. Welcome to my world. When I'm feeling fancy I buy an avocado and some chicken.

idk I cook for a living so if I had to only get 6-8 things and never any seasonings (no salt? pepper? oils? wtf?) i'd freak out probably

It's worth it to me to spend a little extra on my food I guess.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Moridin920 posted:

You can get fresh fruit and vegetables in the summer at the farmer's markets. Usually they are much cheaper than my grocery. In the winter its a little leaner and you have to rely on frozen vegetables. Canned vegetables are terrible.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Eating out is in my entertainment budget as it should be for anyone attempting to budget. But yeah, I ate plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, if you buy seasonal they're cheap. Rice is cheap, beans are cheap, slowcookable cuts of meat are cheap, nuts are cheap, grains and granola are cheap, eggs are cheap, dairy is mostly cheap, cheeses are an afforadable premium, flour, sugar, yeast, all cheap, seasonings are cheap. If you can apply heat to ingredients and don't live in a food desert you can easily feed yourself on 100/mo and still eat decently. Bump that to 125 or 150/mo and you have more varied options with a lot of treats in there.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
To answer your question OP, factoring in just gas, I have ~$900 a month left. Accounting for all maintenance, insurance, and car payments and that falls to $600. Three hundred of that goes to an investment account, and the rest I put in the bank to cover my medical expenses as they come up.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

keyvin posted:

Look at you goons throwing your money away on food you enjoy eating.

seriously if you're full from those meals you posted then you are blessed.

I need to eat about 2500-3000 calories a day to function, I'm actually slim. it is a struggle, not even joking

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Eating out is in my entertainment budget as it should be for anyone attempting to budget. But yeah, I ate plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, if you buy seasonal they're cheap. Rice is cheap, beans are cheap, slowcookable cuts of meat are cheap, nuts are cheap, grains and granola are cheap, eggs are cheap, dairy is mostly cheap, cheeses are an afforadable premium, flour, sugar, yeast, all cheap, seasonings are cheap. If you can apply heat to ingredients and don't live in a food desert you can easily feed yourself on 100/mo and still eat decently. Bump that to 125 or 150/mo and you have more varied options with a lot of treats in there.

I guess southern california is just hosed then because nuts, eggs, dairy, and seasonings are all expensive as gently caress here. Tiny little package of dried bay leaf cost me $8 the other day.

I spend $10 on 1 meal easily most of the time and I'm in good shape.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I guess southern california is just hosed then because nuts, eggs, dairy, and seasonings are all expensive as gently caress here. Tiny little package of dried bay leaf cost me $8 the other day.

I spend $10 on 1 meal easily most of the time and I'm in good shape.
I literally just slowcooked a big ol pot of soup for like 7ish bucks and it's enough food for two days, 190 or so pound dude (bit over 6'3"). You can find recipe in stickied food thread.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Telesphorus posted:

I need to eat about 2500-3000 calories a day to function, I'm actually slim. it is a struggle, not even joking

Its all high fiber and my portions are pretty large.

I walk/ride everywhere I can. I'm 5'11" and I weigh 193 pounds. When I finish healing from my latest dislocation I will be back to swimming two miles a day. I'll add an extra PB&J and maybe another bowl of oatmeal if I'm super hungry or my weight starts to seriously dip.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rent: 750
Lights: 120
Heat: 60
Insurance: 75
Internets: 90
Food: 250
Gas for the car: 50-100

What's left? Maybe $300 to $400, if I'm lucky. gently caress myself for being poor.

Ben Smash posted:

Student debt sucks

I'd tell 18 year old me to 1)pick a different university and 2)sock away that sweet, sweet FASFA money in an investment account. Or put it towards some savings bonds. Or do anything else with it other than blowing it on bullshit.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
if you all are so loving poor how did you afford an account on this preminum forum?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

keyvin posted:

Its all high fiber and my portions are pretty large.

I walk/ride everywhere I can. I'm 5'11" and I weigh 193 pounds. When I finish healing from my latest dislocation I will be back to swimming two miles a day. I'll add an extra PB&J and maybe another bowl of oatmeal if I'm super hungry or my weight starts to seriously dip.

Do you swim to work? That is the only way this makes sense t o me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of soup

just the mirepoix for a stock would be ~$5 and then the seasoning bumps that up to $8 easily.

Telesphorus posted:

for real. let alone if someone worked out regularly.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'd sell my car if it weren't for the fact my sister bought a house about an hour's walk away from the nearest bus stop. I'd bike and tarc but the only way to get there is on a state highway with a 55mph speed limit. Want to see my niece and nephew some time.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Turns out no one likes to actually design anything or problem solve so I make like 3k quids after taxes and bills and suchlike (I do not have a car though). I think I end up spending most of it on booze, or possibly videogames.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Mr. Fancy gently caress with his car

Try working for a living, bub!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

N. Senada posted:

Do you swim to work? That is the only way this makes sense t o me

No its exercise, depending on the workout I do it takes a little less than an hour.

Moridin920 posted:

what kind of soup

just the mirepoix for a stock would be ~$5 and then the seasoning bumps that up to $8 easily.

for real. let alone if someone worked out regularly.

Check out costco for seasonings, and you can buy frozen mirepoix for like $1 a bag if peppers and celery are out of season.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

what kind of soup

I literally posted the recipe in the thread I said I posted it in. Maybe you spend more on food than you need because you're really dumb?

And where is dairy expensive? A gallon of whole milk is over a day's worth of calories and like 4 bucks at most in a corner store. It's under 3 where I shop.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

I think i'm smart, I show it by calling others stupid to distract from myself.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Milk is expensive because of the dairy lobby, I suggest moving to a 1st world country such as anywhere in europe.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

N. Senada posted:

if you all are so loving poor how did you afford an account on this preminum forum?

traded a hobo a half-drunk bottle of Boone's Farm for this account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I literally posted the recipe in the thread I said I posted it in. Maybe you spend more on food than you need because you're really dumb?

And where is dairy expensive? A gallon of whole milk is over a day's worth of calories and like 4 bucks at most in a corner store. It's under 3 where I shop.

lol you said 'in the stickied food thread' and that is supposed to be an excellent pointer. I went to goons with spoons, looked at the stickied threads, didn't see a soup recipe, stopped looking.

I just noticed there's a thread in GBS about cooking but meh. would it kill you to just type out what you used? it's not like it's a complicated soup recipe for $7 a pot.

keyvin posted:

Check out costco for seasonings, and you can buy frozen mirepoix for like $1 a bag if peppers and celery are out of season.

yeah I should start getting that poo poo in bulk again I've been buying seasoning as needed pretty much and that adds up quick.

• Locked thread