Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I recently started working for a company. Occasionally my job requires client facing work, in which we restore data for them.

A client has provided us two tapes to restore. We had the client fill out a questionnaire regarding the type of tapes, the type of data on them, how they want to receive the data, etc.

They advised it was Super DLT II tapes and backup exec 12.5, standard windows files backup/restore (no need to restore the OS to a VM or anything, just the contents of the tapes for auditing)

we agreed.

Upon setting up the tapes in the restore environment we encountered a few issues. First is that the data cant be catalogued. The second is because it is Compressed Netware data that was backed up with ArcServe.

we have a license for ArcServe and I am familiar enough with it to restore the data, however all my reading has lead me to believe that while Netware data can be restored as straight files to a Windows operating system (which is what our restore environment is) Compressed Netware data can only be restored to a Native Netware environment.

Due to contractual agreements with the client its difficult for me to provide much more information than that, but our setup is VMWare Workstation running a standard 2008R2 VM and currently backup exec 12.5 and ArcServe.

is there any way I can get this data off the tapes and onto an external hard drive without building a Netware environment? My colleague and I have never used it and are too strapped for time to bother learning it as the downtime to learn it and configure a server running it would eat into the cost of the job too much to make it worth our while.

Backup Exec managed to restore some of it, but Im guessing it choked when it got to the compressed section of the tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
We used to have a Netware 5 server and a Windows 2000 machine that ran some other stuff including backup exec. The version of backup exec we had could connect to the Netware server to get files to back up. One day I tried restoring one of those files to the Windows server and it didn't work because it was some of Neware's compressed magic. I told my boss this was not a very good solution and then gave up because I had another copy of the file that wasn't so much work.

When you eventually get around to installing and learning Netware to meet your contractual obligations you'll find that a Netware vm will soak up 100% cpu and run really really fast. Once you get vmware tools installed it should run normally. hth.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for the advice, though we are probably just going to go back to the client and say we don't have the tools for it. Normally we'd just buy the gear and learn it but time is the biggest factor for our team right now and it's a small fish job.

We were at least hoping to give them an alternative service to use but even our regular guys we outsource this stuff to replied with an email that equated to a blank stare.

• Locked thread