Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

spooky girlfriend posted:

What was the bad press.

local grocery store unions for a time paid people to picket outside the stores and say bad things about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Their generic beer is really good for $4/sixer beer.
The generic beer is left over from other breweries, so you can usually look at where it was made and figure out what kind of beer it is and they usually aren't cheap beer brands.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The generic beer is left over from other breweries, so you can usually look at where it was made and figure out what kind of beer it is and they usually aren't cheap beer brands.

I looked at this and realized their thought process is "Wow this batch is too lovely to use, lets just slap another label on it and sell it to hipsters they'll buy it and feel edgy"

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Duck and Cover posted:

Gummy penguins

I bite the heads off and suck the goo out

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I looked at this and realized their thought process is "Wow this batch is too lovely to use, lets just slap another label on it and sell it to hipsters they'll buy it and feel edgy"

thats exactly how they arrive at that single malt whisky. Its from "imperfectly aged" barrels that the distillery unloads onto independent bottlers like signatory vintage and mcclellands at a bargain, with the stipulation that the distillery's name not be used on the label but instead it just becomes "highland" or "speyside". Still its a good deal, $30 for somethign that might ordinarily be $120, where most consumers wouldnt be able to tell the difference between them

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

what is this fascination with hipsters and trader joes?

like, i just dont get it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
hmm all the hipsters get the cvs brand gummy bears cause its alternative and ironic id totally blow their hipster minds if i told them they were just regular gummy bears

hipsters hipsters hipsters

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

shiksa posted:

its just a catchall term assholes use for whatever kind of people they dont like

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

geez i cant stand all these hipsters all around me theyre drivin me bananas!

*lives in a town of 5000 outside of charleston wv*

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

ugh i was volunteering on thanksgiving, everyone there was total hipsters. none of them had jobs, they all had beards and long hair, and all of their clothes were from thrift shops. loving hipsters.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
basically yea

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

aftering reading a couple of posts in this thread it seems like trader joes is a bodega for suburbanites/white people

i guess going to a place like this is an event for those types..

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Gropiemon posted:

sorry Trader Joe's frozen poo poo is flavorless crap the only good thing there is they have cheap grapefruits

the implication that you enjoy grapefruit is how i know you have loving poo poo taste lmbo

don't listen to this guy

also the label "hipster" as the OP uses it is indicative of an out of touch greybeard tbh

like it's fuckin trader joes haha what??

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

trader joes sells a handle of vodka for like 14 bucks i could give a poo poo what the rest of the store has okay

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Infidel Castro posted:

TJ's is really just a really nice snack shop. As a grocery store, it's farily lovely though.

Definitely this. I go there every once in a while and stock up on bags of nuts and a few other snack items, but they don't really have any of the other stuff I need, so I go to a regular grocery store for that.

Every fall they sell Pumpkin Butter though (like Apple Butter, has nothing to do with regular butter), and I always make sure to go in and buy a few jars because it's awesome. I've tried making my own Pumpkin Butter at home 3 times and it's never nearly as good as theirs.

Seriously, if you've never tried it, go buy some because they have it right now. Get yourself some English Muffins, toast them and spread Pumpkin Butter on them. So tasty. Kind of like a breakfast version of a mini pumpkin pie. And it's got nothing to do with all that fake "Pumpkin spice" bullshit because it's a jar of 95% pureed pumpkin.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

trader joes wow what even is it? i live in a bin of my own feces near town...

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

can this be a publix appreciation thread? trader joes is just a chain version of those "rustic" general stores next to bougie tourist traps

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 14, 2014

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I haven't lived near a Publix in over 10 years, but I don't remember it being anything special. Just a chain of grocery stores that was clean and new looking inside.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Gorman Thomas posted:

TJs is great but the local Asian/Mexican + Costco supermarkets are god tier. Mitsuwa is most definitely my poo poo. SoCal Whole Foods has a p good local salsa called Lucky Habanero but lol if you buy anything else from there.
Mitsuwa's way too expensive because Japanese but if you really need OG spices and noodles and stuff for ramen there's no place else.

I'm eating Trader Joe's Kung Pao chicken right now and I have a bunch of extra soy ginger packets because they come with two and one is plenty. I'm thinking I should repurpose them for some other dish instead of leaving them in the freezer forever.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Publix owns

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

shiksa posted:

i'm still not really clear on what a hipster is

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

ZombieParts posted:

You probably are one. And you're an SJW brony PUA MRA as well.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
So, I've never been to a Trader Joe's, but from reading the thread I'm guessing it's a loving grocery store? Where someone who had a beard once bought food?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the trader joes near me is all subaru and granola crowd. whole foods is all hipsters and fat mercedes suv wives.

Tripalium
Mar 20, 2009

coin coin connard
the TJ's in my area have decent and reasonably priced produce most of the time, sorry about yours

what TJ's is great for:
* cheese
* wine
* sourdough bread
* spices
* condiments
* some snacks

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

appropriatemetaphor posted:

trader joes wow what even is it? i live in a bin of my own feces near town...

Look at Mr Fancy ovah here, la dee da!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

spooky girlfriend posted:

I haven't lived near a Publix in over 10 years, but I don't remember it being anything special. Just a chain of grocery stores that was clean and new looking inside.

Publix has fantastic subs

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
My trader joe's has beef and it is usually one of the best values around town sorry you got screwed op trader joe's owns. Very few hipsters at the one near me also a bonus.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bro Dad posted:

can this be a publix appreciation thread? trader joes is just a chain version of those "rustic" general stores next to bougie tourist traps

Yeah, trader joes selling frozen coq au vin and panettone sure does hearken back to a simpler time in our nation.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ZombieParts posted:

http://nymag.com/news/features/69129/

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I'd heard about Trader Joe's for years. When I lived in Boston there was one by Copley Sq in Back Bay but they couldn't sell any alcohol (Boston laws are :rolleyes:) so I never bothered. Then about a year ago I started hitting up the one in Cambridge off Memorial Dr and discovered a nice little grocery store whose prices kicked the balls off of Shaw's and Stop n Shop.

Easily what cost me $90 at Shaw's (hardly 2-3 bags max) came to about $35-45 at Trader Joe's.

Their produce doesn't usually appeal to me but between their frozen food, their bread options, condiments, and beer and wine (cheaper than liquor stores), I loved the place.

Their frozen food isn't 4 star dining, but if that's what you're comparing it to or expecting, you're an idiot. I look at it this way: are their frozen meals better than some delivery option? If so, we have a winner. I don't cook much but throwing in some Turkey Bolognese in a pan, adding some sauce and spices and serving it over spaghetti with garlic bread and a $6 bottle of wine comes to about $10 for dinner that 2-3 people could eat. Same meal from takeout easily goes for $25-30.

When I want higher quality, I go to higher quality restaurants. When I want quick and cheap, TJ beats delivery every day of the week. And it makes lovely non-cooks like me feel some pride in the fact they prepared something. :)

gently caress all ya hataz

Oh, I've since moved to Connecticut this past summer and learned that the TJ's here aren't allowed to sell wine in their stores. They can sell beer but not wine. Laws... :rolleyes:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

connecticut is the worst. does everything still close at 8:00 pm and not even open on sundays? they have that stew leonards bullshit, which sends you through a maze to get your groceries, they don't even have aisles.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

notZaar posted:

Publix has fantastic subs

Theyre looking into making their own standalone sub stores they are so popular

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

The TJs that are near to me have good produce, but that may just be a regional thing.

They have good canned organic beans, decent but limited spices, good jarred marinara, and a good selection of decent peanut butter.

Here's things that are outstanding though:

Get these things if you aren't worthless.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Trader Joe's is annoying and attracts really terrible people, but they also have great junk food/cookies so it's a net benefit.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

They have pretty good frozen lunches, especially the Indian ones.

The triple ginger snaps are a good snack also

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

PurdWerfect posted:

The TJs that are near to me have good produce, but that may just be a regional thing.

They have good canned organic beans, decent but limited spices, good jarred marinara, and a good selection of decent peanut butter.

Here's things that are outstanding though:

Get these things if you aren't worthless.

Halloumi is loving great.

They sell a beer called Boatswain that's pretty drat decent. The brown ale is really good, smooth and pretty tasty, and a friend of mine who usually only drinks fizzy american piss beer enjoyed it a great deal as well. The double IPA is great, and the IPA and chocolate stout are okay. They're cheap, too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DangerDummy! posted:

Halloumi is loving great.

They sell a beer called Boatswain that's pretty drat decent. The brown ale is really good, smooth and pretty tasty, and a friend of mine who usually only drinks fizzy american piss beer enjoyed it a great deal as well. The double IPA is great, and the IPA and chocolate stout are okay. They're cheap, too.

The Trader Joe's house brand of beer is actually made by Unibroue.

Zebco
Nov 1, 2009

Eat. Sleep. Folk.

mango sentinel posted:

Trader Joe's is annoying and attracts really terrible people, but they also have great junk food/cookies so it's a net benefit.

why do you worry about the people that a store attracts? how much time are you spending in a grocery store that you have to worry about the crowd?? It's not a club or bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebco
Nov 1, 2009

Eat. Sleep. Folk.
*walks into grocery store*
I'm not really feeling the crowd in here...kinda hipster...the ambiance is, to put it lightly, kinda hipster. I literally don't care about prices or selection. Quality? Not a factor, I want to shop with good people, people that wear clothes like I wear and listen to music like I listen to. I want to belong and fit in at my grocery store. I make six figgies, so I can basically shop anywhere, and it won't be Trader Joes that for sure

• Locked thread