Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing I've found there worth buying is the carnitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol USA people buying so much frozen poo poo.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
You can buy buffalo meat in the USA, you don't even have to go to the trader joes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

connecticut is the worst. does everything still close at 8:00 pm and not even open on sundays? they have that stew leonards bullshit, which sends you through a maze to get your groceries, they don't even have aisles.

I agree - Connecticut is the worst. I remember the goddamn Stew Leonards maze-stores - if they still have them then it is probably due to some pact with Satan or something.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Zebco posted:

why do you worry about the people that a store attracts? how much time are you spending in a grocery store that you have to worry about the crowd?? It's not a club or bar

Because they make the one by me reek of patchouli.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

connecticut is the worst. does everything still close at 8:00 pm and not even open on sundays? they have that stew leonards bullshit, which sends you through a maze to get your groceries, they don't even have aisles.

Yeah, as far as I can tell liquor stores close at like 8 and on Sundays I think 5. Kinda ridiculous.

What's Stew Leonards bullshit?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zebco posted:

*walks into grocery store*
I'm not really feeling the crowd in here...kinda hipster...the ambiance is, to put it lightly, kinda hipster. I literally don't care about prices or selection. Quality? Not a factor, I want to shop with good people, people that wear clothes like I wear and listen to music like I listen to. I want to belong and fit in at my grocery store. I make six figgies, so I can basically shop anywhere, and it won't be Trader Joes that for sure

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

buffalo burgers own

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the lobster rangoon fried bites things are real tasty

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

How much is that bag? Curious because cashews are stupid expensive in Europe, like 2€ for a discounter brand bag 1/3 that weight :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ZombieParts posted:

i'm still not really clear on what a hipster is

They're a bizarro person.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Lol USA people buying so much frozen poo poo.

It's called fresh frozen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shadow posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell liquor stores close at like 8 and on Sundays I think 5. Kinda ridiculous.

What's Stew Leonards bullshit?

stew leonard's is a small grocery chain in ct that i havent been to in 10 years. the building looks like a farm and they have animatronic animals inside the store. when i was last in there, they didn't have any actual aisles, but you had to instead walk through the store on a predetermined maze-like path, blocked in by the shelving. so you have to follow this path through the whole store, and good luck if you forgot something and have to turn back.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I love these things, they're delicious.

Trader Joe's is the best place I can find to buy poo poo that's anywhere near Kips Bay/Stuytown. Also, I can pick up a dollar slice of pizza as i'm walking down 1st avenue.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 17, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Trader Joe's is good for snacks, frozen dinners (if you are into that kind of thing), cheap wine, and women in yoga pants.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

trader frozen tikki masala meals are decent because they give you a lot of rice in it and its tasty.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

stew leonard's is a small grocery chain in ct that i havent been to in 10 years. the building looks like a farm and they have animatronic animals inside the store. when i was last in there, they didn't have any actual aisles, but you had to instead walk through the store on a predetermined maze-like path, blocked in by the shelving. so you have to follow this path through the whole store, and good luck if you forgot something and have to turn back.

hahaha, for an IKEA such a layout may make sense, but for a grocery store, that's loving hilarious (stupid). It looks like there's one not too far from where I work. I take 7 to 95 to head back to Stamford from Norwalk area, maybe one of these days I'll check it out for a good laugh.

Nonsense posted:

trader frozen tikki masala meals are decent because they give you a lot of rice in it and its tasty.

Seconded. It's better than most of the "typical" Indian takeout out there at half the price (or even less than half when you factor in naan or delivery fees). I've had some excellent Tikka Masala while I lived in Boston 15 years, but at $15-17 vs $3-4? TJ's held up pretty well. And I say this as a first generation 'merikan raised with Indian parents and Indian food 5 days a week.

Eat it with TJ's garlic naan for a full meal experience.

[sidenote tip: India Quality in Kenmore Sq is the best Indian joint in Boston (dine in or takeout/deliver) and a lot cheaper than most of the "nicer" options like Masa, the overrated and overpriced Kashmir, and the trainwreck that is Tantric in Theater District]

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Indian food like that makes good frozen dinners because the spices help in not having to load it down with as much salt to make it not taste like poo poo. They can also use the cheapest, shittiest meat and vegetable and no one can tell the difference.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

withak posted:

Indian food like that makes good frozen dinners because the spices help in not having to load it down with as much salt to make it not taste like poo poo. They can also use the cheapest, shittiest meat and vegetable and no one can tell the difference.

This is very true. Meat in Indian food is essential (for carnivores like me), but unless it's just straight up garbage quality, you really don't need to get too fancy with it. Hell, even Anthony Bourdain, hater of all things and people vegetarian, said if there was one place he could happily live as a vegetarian, it was India.

I'm sure those spices also mask the "frozen dinner" flavor your typical TV Dinners have.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shadow posted:

[sidenote tip: India Quality in Kenmore Sq is the best Indian joint in Boston (dine in or takeout/deliver) and a lot cheaper than most of the "nicer" options like Masa, the overrated and overpriced Kashmir, and the trainwreck that is Tantric in Theater District]

Ugh, Tantric. The fact that it's next to a California Pizza Kitchen says a lot. Plus the name inspires extended eight-hour buffet jokes so you really can't take it seriously.

We'll have to try India Quality next time we're across the river. My wife and I live within walking distance of some great places in Camberville. Darul Kabab near Porter Square is the real deal, inexpensive and has a good karahi special for two. Don't bother with Diva in Davis, it's overpriced and overrated, but go down Elm St to Punjabi Grill cause it's awesome. The Shawarma Place at the end of Elm is cheap and mad good and has the best literal restaurant name ever.

As far as the other squares go the best are Masala in Teele, Noor in Powderhouse and Yak & Yeti in Ball. Noor's the cheapest, Yak & Yeti are a bit pricey but worth it when you can afford it. Anyway that's my post on Indian/Pakistani/Turkish restaurants in North Cambridge and Somerville, thanks for reading

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
a little story, there's an indie coffee place in my neighborhood that has a funny little sign on it that I like:

"NO HIPSTERS
don't come in here with your vegan diets,
your long whiskers,
your sawdust bedding,
wait, NO HAMSTERS"

and one day I was walking past when some hipsters passed the sign "does that say 'no hipsters???" one exclaimed. another looked up, and disgustedly said 'yeah'. they kept walking.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Glasgow Kiss posted:

you can buy mead there if you some fat dnd human being that wants to roleplay or some snobby douche that wants a period drink for their old english stories

Look at this guy who doesn't know that extra dry mead is the best tasting alcoholic beverage

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Hipsters don't shop at Trader Joes; they buy cans of cream corn from dusty old bodegas in the ethnic neighborhoods they infest like cockroaches and they get their toilet paper from coffee shop bathrooms. Maybe people too old to be hipsters who used to be hipsters shop at TJs, but poo poo man, you can't call them hipsters. That's like seeing a middle aged rockabilly couple and saying "Oh man, look at the punks!" just because there's a good chance at least one of them had a denim jacket that said "snot rocket" on the back that they wore to mustard plug shows before the grunting while getting off the couch years set in.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

trader joes is patroned by educated human beings.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

HEY VAPER posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't know that extra dry mead is the best tasting alcoholic beverage

Mead smells and tastes like dirty feet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get some mead that hasn't been used to soak dirty feet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

Get some mead that hasn't been used to soak dirty feet.

that's like asking for wine without grapes

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Howard Beale posted:

Ugh, Tantric. The fact that it's next to a California Pizza Kitchen says a lot. Plus the name inspires extended eight-hour buffet jokes so you really can't take it seriously.

We'll have to try India Quality next time we're across the river. My wife and I live within walking distance of some great places in Camberville. Darul Kabab near Porter Square is the real deal, inexpensive and has a good karahi special for two. Don't bother with Diva in Davis, it's overpriced and overrated, but go down Elm St to Punjabi Grill cause it's awesome. The Shawarma Place at the end of Elm is cheap and mad good and has the best literal restaurant name ever.

As far as the other squares go the best are Masala in Teele, Noor in Powderhouse and Yak & Yeti in Ball. Noor's the cheapest, Yak & Yeti are a bit pricey but worth it when you can afford it. Anyway that's my post on Indian/Pakistani/Turkish restaurants in North Cambridge and Somerville, thanks for reading

Is India Samraat still around? They were pretty solid. I think on Mass Ave and delivered to both sides of the river.

Tantric is loving retarded. How they survive just astounds me, but I suppose there aren't a hell of a lot of Indian places in that particular district of Boston. Not to mention their prices. I remember once taking my parents there when it was relatively new. Hey, hey, Indian place in Theater District, quick stroll through the Common, some street shopping in Downtown Crossing. Sounds like an afternoon!

My mom looked at me like I was trying to kill her with the bowl of diarrhea they called food. :(

/end Boston Derail :)

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
I work in a Trader Joe's and it's pretty much fine. Granted, a significant proportion of the customers are insufferable yuppies and rich old assholes, but you can get really good deals if you know what to buy there. All of the fish and fresh meat (except maybe the sausages) is overpriced, although it's all pretty good quality. The coffee is ok, but it's pretty expensive. The produce is both expensive and terrible; avoid it at all costs. Anything labelled "organic" or "all natural" is just a way to wring an extra 30% of profit out of idiots; there's always an identical item right next to it without the surcharge. Here's a list of the poo poo that's actually a good value:

- Jarred pasta, stir-fry, and simmer sauces: on the whole, pretty tasty and usually really cheap.
- Pasta: authentic-ish (it's all imported from Italy) and comparably priced to a regular supermarket
- Normal bread (avoid all of the hippie miracle grain, razzle dazzle, superfood bullshit)
- SPICES: for whatever reason, spices are exponentially cheaper here than at other places
- Cheeses: they carry several varieties of every type of cheese. Most are overpriced but there's usually one of each which is cheap and of pretty good quality.
- Frozen naan bread: waaaaay better than the fresh stuff we sell with the other bread. Avoid the garlic flavor, though; just buy plain and add your own.
- The big bags of frozen chicken: it ends up being a hell of a lot cheaper than buying fresh chicken, granted you plan far enough ahead to thaw it out.
- Frozen veggies
- Frozen pies and cakes: a lot better than you'd expect. You can get a good quality pie for $5 and a damned good cheesecake for $7.
- Non-dairy milk products (Soy milk, almond milk, Lactaid, etc): Usually a good $.50 cheaper than at a regular store
- Frozen burritos
- Rice
- Teas
- Pizza dough

There's also a lot of stuff which isn't necessarily a great value but is easy and tasty. Most of the frozen dinners and desserts fall into this category; you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that isn't at least serviceable. They can get kind of pricy, but if you absolutely refuse to cook, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering take-out every night. And a lot of the dry snacks and desserts are really, really good. Some are underwhelming, so it's sometimes hit-or-miss, but it's worth experimentation. The Pfeffernüsse cookies and the mini gingerbread men are two seasonal snacks we just got in and they're both delicious.

Wampa Stompa fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 18, 2014

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
The Trader Joes I do my weekly shopping at is in one of the wealthiest towns on the east coast. It's all trophy wives and Au Pairs on their way home from the gym. Not a hipster anywhere.

I shop there because I have to bring a hyperactive two and four-year-old with me. It's small and there's only 1 type of anything (other than chicken breasts and eggs) so I can go in, buy 90 different items, bag, pay, and be back in my car in less than 20 minutes. At a regular grocery store I'll spend that much time waiting at the loving deli.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dirty Sanchez posted:

It's small and there's only 1 type of anything (other than chicken breasts and eggs) so I can go in, buy 90 different items, bag, pay, and be back in my car in less than 20 minutes. At a regular grocery store I'll spend that much time waiting at the loving deli.

Yes, very good. You're well on your way to fully realize your inner German.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

Yes, very good. You're well on your way to fully realize your inner German.

Is trader joe German or Austrian?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

maybe because it's california, but the berries and produce at my trader joes are way better than the grocery store, like the blackberries and raspberries are always super good

also plenty of hipsters

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009
The giant blocks of Belgian chocolate. I break them up for ganaches, use them in baking recipes and just straight eat them.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
The guy who rang me up last time gave me a really nasty look when I asked for plastic bags instead of paper.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Trader Joes is like the Target of grocery stores where people think it's better but it's actually just the same.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trader joes staff are pretty cool, at least they don't seem dying in place like the miserable safeway or walmart employees

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
The one thing that annoys me about Trader Joe's is how every time you check out the checker has to tell you how one item or another is their favorite. It is clear that they must be trained to do this. I guess the other possibility is that I have amazingly good taste but it happens almost every time I go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Shadow posted:

hahaha, for an IKEA such a layout may make sense, but for a grocery store, that's loving hilarious (stupid). It looks like there's one not too far from where I work. I take 7 to 95 to head back to Stamford from Norwalk area, maybe one of these days I'll check it out for a good laugh.

Seconded. It's better than most of the "typical" Indian takeout out there at half the price (or even less than half when you factor in naan or delivery fees). I've had some excellent Tikka Masala while I lived in Boston 15 years, but at $15-17 vs $3-4? TJ's held up pretty well. And I say this as a first generation 'merikan raised with Indian parents and Indian food 5 days a week.

Eat it with TJ's garlic naan for a full meal experience.

I'm going to try this, but I've never seen anyone properly package naan before so I'm expecting disappointment. It always comes out like puffy 'flatbread' and not properly chewy at all.

• Locked thread