Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Trader Joes is like the Target of grocery stores where people think it's better but it's actually just the same.

Honestly to be fair, they probably legitimately like the food. Unlike Target or Walmart the staff at TJ's are paid well and given proper benefits and 401k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrChupon posted:

I'm going to try this, but I've never seen anyone properly package naan before so I'm expecting disappointment. It always comes out like puffy 'flatbread' and not properly chewy at all.

The TJ's frozen naan is pretty decent, just make sure you don't overcook it and also a bit of butter on top makes it even better.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

etalian posted:

The TJ's frozen naan is pretty decent, just make sure you don't overcook it and also a bit of butter on top makes it even better.

Yes. I do this as well. Use an oven or convection toaster oven too.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I just got douche chills the whole time I was there and there was a ton of "See this brand? You've probably never heard of it"

Publix is better.

Trader Joe's is like an upscale produce stand. Give it a try. Buy some of their cheap-as-hell bananas. Don't buy their expensive beer. Try some of their popular stuff. Their steak & ale pies are much more filling than I anticipated.

Publix is better.

Tussin Grimace
Oct 23, 2007

cahsin mahney busta
I shop at safeway because it's next to my apartment or wal-mart because it has everything and I take the bus/bike. There's Costco and trader joes right next to my work but I bike past both because I'm poor.

"wow this place is so progressive and blah blah wow check out my brand new subaru" *needs to be solidly middle class to even shop there*

I should probably kill myself lmao

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tussin Grimace posted:

I shop at safeway because it's next to my apartment or wal-mart because it has everything and I take the bus/bike. There's Costco and trader joes right next to my work but I bike past both because I'm poor.

"wow this place is so progressive and blah blah wow check out my brand new subaru" *needs to be solidly middle class to even shop there*

costco is pretty cheap actually. they have this policy where the max markup on any item is 14% and in reality its more like 10-11%

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Costco is only cheap if you're buying for a family of four, or if you're the kind of sadsack who buys frozen food en masd

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im the costco guy with a thousand yard stare pushing a cart full of hungry mans

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
A Trader Joes just opened here in San Antonio. Also we are getting an In and Out. Lol I haven't ever been to each.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
costco is and always will be the best thing

you cant beat their meat

prices

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

best thing about costco is when asians leave their shopping carts in the aisle

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the best thing about anywhere is some serious laughs at asians

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

notZaar posted:

Costco is only cheap if you're buying for a family of four, or if you're the kind of sadsack who buys frozen food en masd

I shop for 2 and it's still a good deal--just you have to be more picky. A lot of the things like bagels/bread/some fresh fruit/vegetables will go bad before you eat it all--however, even though I never finish a 5lb bag of spinach, it's still cheaper to spend the $3 on that than buying a little piss rear end wad from Safeway and the like.

Basically what is very good is buying things like paper towels/toilet paper/soaps/case of sparkling water or other drinks/cheese/meat/butter/other things you can freeze|are frozen and that's a pretty significant savings.

Downside you have to have the room to keep them so my freezer is about 80% full all the time and I use the trunk of my car as secondary storage which is ok since I use it maybe 30 minutes a week.

Trader Joes is def way better if you're buying for just yourself though.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
tell me about your food trunk

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PandaCookies posted:

A Trader Joes just opened here in San Antonio. Also we are getting an In and Out. Lol I haven't ever been to each.

go to jimmy's egg instead of in-n-out.

trader joe all the way in the quarry

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Repping TJ's body soaps. Their maple-oatmeal soap is beast.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

so in other words

Tussin Grimace posted:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Demonachizer posted:

The one thing that annoys me about Trader Joe's is how every time you check out the checker has to tell you how one item or another is their favorite. It is clear that they must be trained to do this. I guess the other possibility is that I have amazingly good taste but it happens almost every time I go there.

I worked there for years. They aren't. They just actually like the food. The discounts and constant open bags of poo poo for sampling in the back are probably major contributors.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

speculoos havers deserve death

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

theironjef posted:

I worked there for years. They aren't. They just actually like the food. The discounts and constant open bags of poo poo for sampling in the back are probably major contributors.

I went there twice and they said "X? Thats my favorite". Its fine but it just felt really hollow. Prob cuz yuppies/hipsters have no souls

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Robbie Fowler posted:

kill yourself

Jeases christ :staredog:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I went there twice and they said "X? Thats my favorite". Its fine but it just felt really hollow. Prob cuz yuppies/hipsters have no souls

I've always found them to be honest. As I said, TJ's is one grocer that actually pays their people well. If you look at salary sites, typical associates make around 40-50k, and managers make upwards of 100k or more. They match 401k to employees (I want to say over 30?) and provide health benefits to all of them. The people who work there legitimately feel valued because they are.

I can't believe I'm saying this with a straight face but Trader Joe's is one grocery store you can actually respect for how it treats its employees. Unless the sources I've read were flat out lies, they deserve your business. Go to the big names, the SuperValu/Shaw's/Stop 'n Shop/Albertson's/Walmarts and you see people hardly paid above minimum wage holding supervisory roles and benefits are a joke. Don't even bother asking about 401k matching unless you're a district manager.

I'd imagine Whole Foods is similar to TJ's in that respect (no idea, never read, can't attest), but the difference is Whole Foods is a solid 150-200% of the price.

Edit:

At work so I didn't want to start researching this but here:

Wikipedia posted:

As of 2010, supervisory crew members ("Merchants" and "Mates") can start at $45–75,000 per year and store managers ("Captain") can earn in the "low six figures". The company contributes to most employee's standard 401(k) plans. (Crew members at least 30 years of age.; those under 30 can receive little to no contribution.) As of 2013, pay for entry-level Crew Members is $10 to $20 an hour.[2][5]

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm annoyed that TJ's stopped carrying the cheap ginger I crave just because Cali found some paltry amounts of lead in the ginger to be unacceptable.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

sauer kraut posted:

How much is that bag? Curious because cashews are stupid expensive in Europe, like 2€ for a discounter brand bag 1/3 that weight :smith:

6.99$ or 5.58€ so not much different

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

I've always found them to be honest. As I said, TJ's is one grocer that actually pays their people well. If you look at salary sites, typical associates make around 40-50k, and managers make upwards of 100k or more. They match 401k to employees (I want to say over 30?) and provide health benefits to all of them. The people who work there legitimately feel valued because they are.

I can't believe I'm saying this with a straight face but Trader Joe's is one grocery store you can actually respect for how it treats its employees. Unless the sources I've read were flat out lies, they deserve your business. Go to the big names, the SuperValu/Shaw's/Stop 'n Shop/Albertson's/Walmarts and you see people hardly paid above minimum wage holding supervisory roles and benefits are a joke. Don't even bother asking about 401k matching unless you're a district manager.

I'd imagine Whole Foods is similar to TJ's in that respect (no idea, never read, can't attest), but the difference is Whole Foods is a solid 150-200% of the price.

Edit:

At work so I didn't want to start researching this but here:
I had a 401k with company contribution and great heath insurance at a grocery store when I was 23 and I made $15/hr. I mean I know Wal-Mart and the other superstores are basically evil, but that sort of employee compensation isn't exactly unheard of.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

paranoid randroid posted:

Costco is the loving ownage and best. They also don't sell lovely food like Hungry Mans. I think...it's usually better quality things.

Central Market in Dallas FTW owns completely as well.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
trader joes has the cheapest, and the best avocados in town down here and also the three seed sourdough loaf is loving ace as poo poo for cheeses. Toast it up and it gets real spongy, it owns.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Once I was at TJ's feeling up some peppers, and some random lady just tried to start talking to me.

I was like, "check the ring, I'm taken."

Who thinks it's a good idea to chat over some dang peppers?

Tussin Grimace
Oct 23, 2007

cahsin mahney busta
They should like put these jobs that actually pay a living wage in low-income areas... Like for all jobs everywhere in America would be p cool.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Tussin Grimace posted:

They should like put these jobs that actually pay a living wage in low-income areas... Like for all jobs everywhere in America would be p cool.

Low-income people can't afford Trader Joe's.

Tussin Grimace
Oct 23, 2007

cahsin mahney busta
Exactly

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Yeah, but poor people have no self control, so if you give them more money they'll just spend it on stupid poo poo. Like Whole Foods.

woon socket
Sep 30, 2011

by XyloJW
:rolleyes:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 21, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
TL;DR.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

woon socket posted:

don't quote spam, dumbass

quoted for truth

fag

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 21, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you're in San Antonio, there's no need to go to TJ's with Central Market 5 minutes away.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Irradiation posted:

Because they make the one by me reek of patchouli.

no they dont. god just put on some wranglers and shop at your normcore bullshit whatever chain grocery store but dont post your fantasies here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I don't know how they do it but this stuff is ambrosia.

• Locked thread