Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You know, I really hate that Recovery Girl tells Deku outright that she's not going to heal him anymore if he's going to continue being reckless with his arms, and instead of learning a lesson, Deku winds up meeting Eri purely so he can keep getting healed despite his recklessness.

Well, that's because the manga itself switched gears from "killing yourself in the process of being heroic isn't actually a good thing" to having almost every major character repeatedly blow themselves to pieces in moments of suicidal heroism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

You know, I really hate that Recovery Girl tells Deku outright that she's not going to heal him anymore if he's going to continue being reckless with his arms, and instead of learning a lesson, Deku winds up meeting Eri purely so he can keep getting healed despite his recklessness.
Presumably this is the last time since Eri broke her horn off to do it. Not that I think he'll lose his arms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

presumably this is the last time since the mangas ending in 3 chapters (said hopefully)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
this is how he became the greatest hero. arms fall off boy

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think that character died in the intro to the latest suicide movie.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Izuku guest stars in the Suicide Squad anime, having vastly misunderstood the premise

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

presumably this is the last time since the mangas ending in 3 chapters (said hopefully)

maybe last chapter will reveal this was all just a dream as deku's being choked out by the sludge villain, allmight saves him and tells him he's a brave lad then flies off.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nuebot posted:

maybe last chapter will reveal this was all just a dream as deku's being choked out by the sludge villain, allmight saves him and tells him he's a brave lad then flies off.

Please let this be true. It would be the single greatest shonen ending of all time. Second only to it being revealed that Deku was the adult from the one-shot and this was all a dream he had before the events of the one-shot unfolded.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I remember how MHA started off by saying self-sacrifice isn't cool; there are actual consequences to self-sacrifice. Now, self-sacrifice is back in fashion!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I wanted a cohesive message, I wouldn't be reading shonen.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you were paying attention you'd see that, somehow, All for One warped the spirit of heroism and messed up everyone's perception of self-sacrifice and self-destruction. It's referenced in the chapter where he goes "grr" and again when he goes "oof" and really I shouldn't have to explain it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the "Killing yourself is bad" thing is still present given that the the idea mentioned a few times is that Deku doesn't give you the "Oh he's gonna take care of it" feeling that All Might did, but rather that he makes everyone want to help.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The origin of the "recklessness is bad" thing was Deku either putting himself in situations where he himself would need to be rescued(slime guy pre-ofa) or using his powers in a way that permanently damages him or puts him in mortal danger(everything post-OfA). This was considered excessive, unnecessary behavior because he was pretty much the only one doing it. That's not the case anymore.

Basically every hero in this arc has recklessly pushed themselves to the brink of death(or literally beyond, in the case of Bakugo), some of them more than once. Mirko in particular is so reckless that she's a multiple amputee at this point and had to have a briefcase full of replacement limbs on standby when she went into battle again. Eri, the actual, factual child, just got lightly scolded by Aizawa for recklessly harming herself in a way that might permanently damage her quirk(and it will probably turn out to have been instrumental for the win since it's giving Deku his arms back).

"Reckless, suicidal heroism is bad" is no longer a present theme when every single character on panel repeatedly has to resort to reckless, suicidal heroism on a constant basis spanning into years; reckless, suicidal heroism is just normal hero stuff now.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 17, 2024

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Deku's early acts of reckless self-harm were bad because he was doing it to win at gym glass.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
shigaraki save us from this era of toxic heroism

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

The origin of the "recklessness is bad" thing was Deku either putting himself in situations where he himself would need to be rescued(slime guy pre-ofa) or using his powers in a way that permanently damages him or puts him in mortal danger(everything post-OfA). This was considered excessive, unnecessary behavior because he was pretty much the only one doing it. That's not the case anymore.

Basically every hero in this arc has recklessly pushed themselves to the brink of death(or literally beyond, in the case of Bakugo), some of them more than once. Mirko in particular is so reckless that she's a multiple amputee at this point and had to have a briefcase full of replacement limbs on standby when she went into battle again. Eri, the actual, factual child, just got lightly scolded by Aizawa for recklessly harming herself in a way that might permanently damage her quirk(and it will probably turn out to have been instrumental for the win since it's giving Deku his arms back).

"Reckless, suicidal heroism is bad" is no longer a present theme when every single character on panel repeatedly has to resort to reckless, suicidal heroism on a constant basis spanning into years; reckless, suicidal heroism is just normal hero stuff now.

You know what's also not the case anymore? Minor consequences if you happen to lose. If Deku doesn't break his fingers fighting Shoto, oh well, he loses a tournament. If they don't go full force at the genocidal maniac trying to kill everyone then everyone dies. Like yeah, every character has gone full out balls to the walls reckless willing to kill themselves to win. They are also in a battle of survival, losing also means they die.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the kids were screaming that suicidal recklessness was essential to heroism way back in the joint training arc

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
An action is only considered reckless if the consequences aren't proportionate to the risk involved.
Right now pretty much nothing counts as reckless because there's an existential threat going on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Onmi posted:

You know what's also not the case anymore? Minor consequences if you happen to lose. If Deku doesn't break his fingers fighting Shoto, oh well, he loses a tournament. If they don't go full force at the genocidal maniac trying to kill everyone then everyone dies. Like yeah, every character has gone full out balls to the walls reckless willing to kill themselves to win. They are also in a battle of survival, losing also means they die.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense plot-wise, because it does.

I'm saying that "don't be reckless" is something the manga has given a poo poo about for a long time. The manga made a couple of hand waves at "hey deku maybe you shouldn't blow your arms up when you fight, it's not good" and then proceeded to put him and every other hero character in an endless series of scenarios where they blow their bodies to smithereens on a semi-constant basis for the rest of the manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense plot-wise, because it does.

I'm saying that "don't be reckless" is something the manga has given a poo poo about for a long time. The manga made a couple of hand waves at "hey deku maybe you shouldn't blow your arms up when you fight, it's not good" and then proceeded to put him and every other hero character in an endless series of scenarios where they blow their bodies to smithereens on a semi-constant basis for the rest of the manga.
He has been generally trying to protect his body- particularly using Fa-jin and blackwhip to fake 100%+ instead of just exploding himself.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The original main message is that self-sacrifice is detrimental to being a hero, either in that your self-sacrifice becomes vain or a liability, or you lessen your ability to be save others in the future. When Deku broke his fingers in order to crack Shoto out of his depressive demeanor in the tournament, the permanent scars on his arms were his final warning not to do it again, and when he did, the domino effect started with Bakugo getting kidnapped, leading All Might to retire. Fast forward a few hundred chapters, heroes lopping off their limbs have become the norm, and now, some of them get their limbs back (in a way); Bakugo even got a second life. There are still consequences (sometimes) to their actions, but main message is now moot even how laissez faire all the heroes have become.

If anything, it is ironic that Aizawa, having lost an eye and a leg, is presently standing there, restoring Deku's arms from Eri potentially self sacrificing her quirk.

Basically, "how can you be a hero if you cannot save yourself?" becomes "all the cool kids hurt themselves for the greater good"

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Mirko Ship-of-Theseusing herself so hard that she lost 6 legs in one fight was pretty wild.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I like that Aizawa can just hop around on his stump like Kyros

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It reflects the perspective of hero society; in the past if a hero can handle the villain at hand, they go for it. If they can't handle them, wait for a hero that can. Now things are more dire, heroes have quit en masse, and the remaining heroes can't wait for someone else to Pokemon element a villain.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The moral is that Stain was right.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Deku's reckless plan to "save" Shigaraki has resulted in Shiggy's soul seemingly being destroyed, All For One coming back from the dead, Deku losing his quirk ghosts, his extra quirks, and his hands, and he needed his teacher to show up with a horn ripped out of a little girl's head to bail him out.

I'm not sure any of this is really showing reckless self-sacrifice in a good light.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Need to see an epilogue where Eri has grown a horn 20 feet long in the hopes of bringing back peak All Might before he passes

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Do they have a solid counter to Gloop Warp yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Deku's reckless plan to "save" Shigaraki has resulted in Shiggy's soul seemingly being destroyed, All For One coming back from the dead, Deku losing his quirk ghosts, his extra quirks, and his hands, and he needed his teacher to show up with a horn ripped out of a little girl's head to bail him out.

I'm not sure any of this is really showing reckless self-sacrifice in a good light.

Like, genuine question, are you going to be really shocked in like 3 chapters when it turns out Deku was right all along and Shigaraki breaks free by symbolically overcoming the bad guy inside his head? I know it's a weekly manga but I don't think it is a huge spoiler to say "Shigaraki's soul will be rescued from within AFO so that he can symbolically overcome the man who ruined his life." That is going to happen. It might happen in a dumb way like he gets reborn as a fresh toddler or something because that happens, but I don't think anyone reading this thread is really of the belief that Deku Failed Forever And Thus Will Never Succeed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rhonne posted:

yeah but the manga is never going to present this as Deku loving up lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ImpAtom posted:

Like, genuine question, are you going to be really shocked in like 3 chapters when it turns out Deku was right all along and Shigaraki breaks free by symbolically overcoming the bad guy inside his head? I know it's a weekly manga but I don't think it is a huge spoiler to say "Shigaraki's soul will be rescued from within AFO so that he can symbolically overcome the man who ruined his life." That is going to happen. It might happen in a dumb way like he gets reborn as a fresh toddler or something because that happens, but I don't think anyone reading this thread is really of the belief that Deku Failed Forever And Thus Will Never Succeed.

Oh yeah. I know Shigaraki is going to come back somehow, but I don't think however they do it will be in any way satisfying.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Tbf to Deku destroying Shigaraki’s soul from the inside is pretty much the only way the heroes can win at this point. No way anyone’s beating him in a fight at this point, and you can’t exactly talk it out with him.

It’s all the fault of the bad writing and plot contrivances of course, but this is what we have to work with now

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Gonna say that "it makes sense with the plot" is not a great standard for writing. "I can understand what is happening" does not a writing make good lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Gonna say that "it makes sense with the plot" is not a great standard for writing. "I can understand what is happening" does not a writing make good lol

Considering how some manga get in the endgame, that low bar still puts it above the average.