Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

:siren: KEEP ALL SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS :siren:

-----

Game description stolen from Wikipedia:

quote:

The game is set in Europa, loosely based on Europe during the early years of World War II. Because of its abundance of Ragnite ore, which takes the place of petroleum in the game setting, the neutral nation of Gallia comes under attack from the East Europan Imperial Alliance, which is itself engaged in a war with the Atlantic Federation. Players take control of a unit of the Gallian Militia, dedicated to repelling the invasion. The game's visuals, which use Sega's CANVAS graphics engine, resemble a watercolor painting in motion.

Valkyria Chronicles uses a combat system called the BLiTZ system. It's similar to XCOM's system, in the fact that while you are moving your troops, you will be under fire. Same goes for the enemy. When you decide to take a shot, its partially up to RNG, but you actually get to aim the shot yourself.

However, before you choose a unit you can issue orders using Command Points (more on those a little later), or just have a general overview of battlefield conditions. Sample screenshot below:

Command Points are used to issue orders, or move units. Different orders have different costs, and moving a unit costs a single command point. However moving the same unit multiple times has diminishing returns (in terms of movement range). Enemies may have more command points every turn, depending on how many leaders they have out on the field (indicated with red armor and a command point symbol). Bosses always have a command point, and its usually a good idea to take them out if its possible. More on them a little later though.

Visibility Lines indicate if you can see the enemy, or if they can see you. Blue lines mean you can see the enemy, but they can't see you. Yellow lines mean they can see you. Red lines mean they are currently firing at you.

----

Classes: There are six classes in the game. Below is a description of each, along with their symbol (click their name).

Scout: Scouts are a highly mobile (and as a result controversial) class, with their weaknesses being damage output (they use basic rifles), and low health. However, a few certain scouts can completely break the game once they are fully leveled. Once they hit level 10, they get access to the grenade launcher addon for rifles, which allows them to launch a grenade slightly further.

Shocktrooper: Shocktroopers have less mobility than Scouts, but are great against anything that moves on foot. They use SMGs. Generally one of the more annoying classes to deal with, in terms of enemies. You should always have a couple on the field to neutralize enemy foot soldiers. Once they hit level 10, they get access to the flamethrower. Which is great for crouching troops when you don't have any grenades.

Lancer: Lancers are your main anti-tank dudes. They carry around giant lances that fire rockets. As expected, their movement range is absolutely dreadful. This is on top of the fact that while they have high resistance against blast effects, they melt when coming into contact with a scout or shocktrooper. They cannot counterattack either. As such, their only real use is smashing tanks or turrets. Once they hit 10, they get access to mortars, which are largely useless.

Engineer: Engineers have the movement range of scouts, but have less defense (and firepower). Their main focus is resupplying other units, or repairing your tank. Also they can heal units for more.

Sniper: Snipers are obviously long range attackers. They have immense firepower against foot soldiers, but have very poor defense and movement range as a result. So keep them out of range of enemy units, or you will regret it. They are not good early on, but become powerhouses later on.

Tanks: Tanks have incredible firepower and defense, at the cost of very little mobility and the ability to be easily destroyed if you (or the enemy) strike the radiator with a lance or other explosive weapon. This is not a good thing. If your tank falls, you lose.

Boss: A class you cannot access for obvious reasons, bosses tend to hit harder, use orders, and have a command point. They should be your first priority.

----

Experience can be used to level up classes in the training grounds (when you unlock them). Most classes get some sort of benefit once you hit level 10 with them.

DCT is used to buy upgrades for your tank, or research new weapons.

----

Other Mechanics/Hints:

- Aces tend to have higher stats compared to the average enemy. However it is worth killing them if its possible, as they will drop a weapon or tank upgrade when they are defeated and you clear the mission. They appear in a decent number of the story missions, DLC, and expert skirmishes. The majority of Imperial based weaponry is hit and miss. Low accuracy, but high firepower.

- This game uses a permadeath mechanic. If your soldier drops and you A) Do not get them up in three turns or B) an enemy touches them, they are gone. Forever. Or at least until New Game+. If your tank is destroyed, you lose instantly. However, Alicia, Rosie, and Largo will just simply withdraw instead.

- All of your troops have potentials, which could be good or bad. You unlock more as you level up your classes. They provide benefits (or downsides).

- Stay behind cover whenever you can, no matter where the enemies shoot you from, they won't be able to get headshots on you.

- Don't bother to level up engineers or snipers as much as Scouts and Shocktroopers, Scouts will be your main force in most missions once they get a few levels, with shocktroopers and lancers getting more and more situational use.

- Lancers, with their anti-explosive armor, can trigger landmines and take barely any damage. If anyone else steps on a landmine, they can avoid triggering it by ending their turn there, allowing an engineer to run up and disable it.

- Make sure the enemy doesn't take your camps, which it will sometimes try to do.

- Don't assume that Orders are a waste of CP, they're actually extremely powerful.

- Your soldiers become elite at level 11. Elite units get a nice boost to their stats, a larger movement range and (for scouts, shocktroopers, and less importantly lancers) a new weapon. It's definitely better to focus on getting elite scouts and shocktroopers over leveling up all your classes equally.

- Don't run in front of tanks, they'll gently caress you up good.

- When you travel back to headquarters, stop at the cemetery FIRST. This is because the old man has orders available to you by random chance...if you go to the training field and level up first, you will be out of EXP and who knows when the old man will be offering the same particular order.

- Don't freak out about getting A ranks on your first playthrough. It's not very likely, nor does it really effect gameplay outside of getting additional EXP and DCT at the end.

----

Useful mods/addons:

Playstation button prompts mod: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138655693&postcount=2284 (credits to Sectus)

----

Common Issues:

Running the game at greater than 60fps will result in various physics issues. Capping your framerate at 60 should fix it.

----

Some of the stuff taken above was from the Before I Play Wiki. http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Valkyria_Chronicles_1

If you have anything else you wanted in the OP, please post about it or send me a PM.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game was cool but then it gets too anime and you question yourself.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
nice thread tag MoRAN

also gently caress chapters 7-8

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I don't remember how to trigger it, but having soldiers right next to each other when you fire to have multiple soldiers fire on the same target is pretty drat useful, late game.

I also seem to recall using land mines to more quickly "propel" lancers around the map since they tend to get thrown a good distance without using their AP.

I'd pay good money to get the "speed through enemy turn" mechanic from 2 and 3 modded into this game.

3D Budgie
Sep 11, 2011

Would be neat to see more Valkyria Chronicles since this apparently performed well over SEGA's expectations, preferably a non handheld version too (VC4 on da PS4). I'd also like to see them port more stuff to PC like Anarchy Reigns since the online is pretty much dead for that right now.

For you newcomers don't abuse orders on Alicia since it makes a lot of missions really easy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I know this came out literally on like Tuesday, but have there been any initial investigations on whether mods are viable? Namely one changing the ranking system so that it rewards actual play, instead of cheesing it with a scout rush.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I don't remember how to trigger it, but having soldiers right next to each other when you fire to have multiple soldiers fire on the same target is pretty drat useful, late game.

It's random, but your squaddies have people they 'like', and they trigger attacks with these people more often. Sometimes it's a lifesaver, sometimes it's bloody useless (thanks, Juno, but I'm firing on a goddamn tank, your rifle's not going to do squat).

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I just dont know about this game maaaan.

Why does my anime panzer wig out and try to burn donuts every now and then?

Snipers feel sort of useless. I got a few shots off in the desert maps but their movement are just so pitiful feels like it's just better to use more shocktroopers and scouts.

Zaka is the dumbest character in any vidya game ever. How the gently caress do you reconcile your pacifist creed with a loving flamethrower tank jesus christ

Will Gallia successfully bridge the strategic magical girl gap? Can't wait to find out!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I added in a mods section to the OP. Right now the only real mod floating around replaces the Xbox buttons with PS Controller buttons.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The newest version of gedosato already has a profile for this so 4K downsampling couldn't be any easier to do. You literally just run gedosato and pick your desired resolution from the game's config menu and that's that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I know this came out literally on like Tuesday, but have there been any initial investigations on whether mods are viable? Namely one changing the ranking system so that it rewards actual play, instead of cheesing it with a scout rush.
The game seems pretty accessible for modding, there's even a texture_override folder the game uses.

Illegal Username posted:

Might be related to physics issues when running >60fps, try capping it at 60?

Sivek posted:

The newest version of gedosato already has a profile for this so 4K downsampling couldn't be any easier to do. You literally just run gedosato and pick your desired resolution from the game's config menu and that's that.
The game already does 4K downsampling fine through DSR, no need for an external tool to hamfist it in.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Even if you don't abuse orders, scouts are still the most overpowered unit by far. They should have upped the movement range for all troops. And yes, waiting the enemy turns is the worst drat thing. I can't believe they didn't give the option to skip that in the PC version.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I loved VC2 but never had a PS3 to play this.

Only one question: Since this game isn't literally set in a high school I assume that the anime, while certainly there, isn't as terrible as it was in 2? By anime I mean 'terrible shoehorned romance', 'awful and tone-deaf moralising', and 'weird character stereotypes that have zero business being in a war'.

Edit: Oh wow promotions in this game just happen at level 11 and don't require an arcane and random certificate-farming process? Fuckin' A.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Illegal Username posted:

Snipers feel sort of useless. I got a few shots off in the desert maps but their movement are just so pitiful feels like it's just better to use more shocktroopers and scouts.

Toward last 1/3 of the game, snipers (well, Marina), become very OP with upgrades and potential. You can hit and kill things across half the screen with one shot and pretty much no chance of missing.

On tanks and slopes, yes, there is a bug for over 60FPS it seems right now and tank movement up-slope. There are only like two missions that deal with that though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pierson posted:

Only one question: Since this game isn't literally set in a high school I assume that the anime, while certainly there, isn't as terrible as it was in 2? By anime I mean 'terrible shoehorned romance', 'awful and tone-deaf moralising', and 'weird character stereotypes that have zero business being in a war'.

Edit: Oh wow promotions in this game just happen at level 11 and don't require an arcane and random certificate-farming process? Fuckin' A.

Nope, it has all that stuff. The game is pretty drat anime, including that stupid pig.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh don't get me wrong I expected it, but I guess the question was more for people who've played both this and 2, and asking which has more.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a genocide and horrific war crimes going on but let us have a 20 minute conversation about our undying love :swoon: anime :swoon:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Abu Dave posted:

There's a genocide and horrific war crimes going on but let us have a 20 minute conversation about our undying love :swoon: anime :swoon:

You can spoil this for me, but is the anime equivalent of the atomic bomb the power of friendship? Was the Manhattan Project equivalent a trip to the hot springs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pierson posted:

Oh don't get me wrong I expected it, but I guess the question was more for people who've played both this and 2, and asking which has more.
1 is still pretty silly but the characters vaguely resemble people, unlike 2.

Abu Dave posted:

Okay, but why are you talking about Mass Effect in the Valkyria Chronicles thread?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GrandpaPants posted:

You can spoil this for me, but is the anime equivalent of the atomic bomb the power of friendship? Was the Manhattan Project equivalent a trip to the hot springs?

Well, there's a hidden group of people with the ability to basically go Super Saiyan and wipe out armies with laserblasts and stuff. Some people want to harness that power to win the war, but our heroes are determined to win things through can-do spirit, because for some reason it seems like this Japanese game about fake WW2 isn't on board with the idea of using a powerful superweapon capable of unthinkable destruction in order to win a war. They seem to think that's bad. Can't imagine why.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the jews have black hair and are money hungry it's quite funny how racist this game gets

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm enjoying the actual game play, but the story line is a constant reminder of how terrible JRPG writing is. Especially the dialogue. I wouldn't call the translation bad, but it certainly is not good.

Is this the norm? Have JRPGs not made any meaningful progress in the last 15 years?

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 13, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Pierson posted:

It can still sort of be there (spoiler, Welkin and Alicia fall for each other), but it's definitely not as strong, particularly the other two (though I think that might fall under "eye of the beholder". Also yes the class system is somewhat simpler, for better or worse.

Illegal Username posted:

The tank physics are sadly kind of buggy above 60FPS. Limit to 60 via refresh rate if it's really giving you trouble (though it should only be a huge problem in one or two missions).

quote:

Snipers take a while to get good, but they get REALLY good late. They need good guns and a fair few levels as a class before they get nuts. Also, Marina, in addition being super popular with the ~~mai waifu uguu~~ types, also gets legitimately bonkers once you hit the back half of the game with her potentials unlocked and a good rifle in her hands.

quote:

Zaka is the dumbest character in any vidya game ever. How the gently caress do you reconcile your pacifist creed with a loving flamethrower tank jesus christ

The tension between the two concepts is part of the idea, I think, but how well it works might be in the eye of the beholder.

quote:

Will Gallia successfully bridge the strategic magical girl gap? Can't wait to find out!

The funny thing is, this IS unironically a plot point. The Valkyria are basically a metaphor for WMDs :iiaca: and the game does lay on kind of thick that weaponizing individual people is Pretty Awful. I think it works well, but :shobon:

TLDR I guess if you're somehow super cynical and can't stand anything that isn't gritty Tom Hanks Band of Brothers WWII, this game isn't for you. I love the hell out of it though, flying pig and all. :shobon:

Also the OP should have some words about just how well the game downsamples. Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/ The game downsamples like a monster and a lot of the effects scale with resolution, so everything ends up looking great when you jack the internal resolution up.

edit:

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm enjoying the actual game play, but the story line is a constant reminder of how terrible JRPG writing is. Especially the dialogue. I wouldn't call the translation bad, but it certainly is not good.

Is this the norm? Have JRPGs not made any meaningful progress in the last 15 years?

They have, although VC1 sort of sat at that uncomfortable cusp point between older JRPGs and stuff like Persona 4 where the writing and localization started getting way better. So it definitely feels a bit stiff in places (stiffer than I remember, I'll admit). They usually manage to sell most of the big moments pretty well, though.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 13, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The game already does 4K downsampling fine through DSR, no need for an external tool to hamfist it in.

I don't know what this means, how do I use it?

The nice thing about GeDoSaTo is that you can enable all sorts of other tweaks if you want to. It hasn't affected performance at all for me running at 4K downsampled to 1440p, and my system is ancient (i5-750 and Geforce 560Ti). I can post screenshots later, the game looks ridiculous. Only problem is the pre-rendered cutscenes look like trash in comparison.

The OP should definitely have something about this though, it's crazy how good this game looks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

maybe this one game just has bad writing and does not reflect on the entire genre

Selane
May 19, 2006

That part about not leveling up snipers is bad advice in my opinion. They blow rear end at low levels but are insanely powerful once you get their stats up.

Other than that, some new player tips/commonly overlooked stuff:

-When aiming, if you are having difficulty lining up a shot perfectly with the analog stick, the dpad lets you make more precise adjustments.

-Buy every order the old guy at the graveyard offers, because they're random and the sooner you buy out the lovely ones the sooner you'll inevitably see a good one. Don't pass one up because it sounds like it sucks, because for all you know he'll be reoffering that same crappy one repeatedly later on.

-You should probably bring one Engineer to every fight just to be safe. They can perform a huge variety of tasks, including: Resupplying ammo, repairing tanks, healing infantry for more than any other class, disarming land mines, repairing sandbags, repairing sniper towers, and they also carry three grenades instead of one.

-Being in most cover increases defense and makes you immune to headshots, but lying down in grass makes you invisible as well.

-It's been mentioned before, but most importantly: use orders. When they're first introduced they sound gimmicky but correct use lets your soldiers do literally superhuman things like absorb hundreds of bullets without dying, hit a tiny target from across the map, or take out a tank with a handful of regular bullets.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Papercut posted:

I don't know what this means, how do I use it?

The nice thing about GeDoSaTo is that you can enable all sorts of other tweaks if you want to. It hasn't affected performance at all for me running at 4K downsampled to 1440p, and my system is ancient (i5-750 and Geforce 560Ti). I can post screenshots later, the game looks ridiculous. Only problem is the pre-rendered cutscenes look like trash in comparison.

The OP should definitely have something about this though, it's crazy how good this game looks.
DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is just a nvidia card native option for downsampling. Since it's down at the driver level it performs much better. The prerendered cutscenes are very noticably worse than in-game, but it's not a major issue. Given the alternative is for them to render the cutscenes are higher resolutions (bloating the size of the game) I'm fine with it as-is.

Selane posted:

That part about not leveling up snipers is bad advice in my opinion. They blow rear end at low levels but are insanely powerful once you get their stats up.

Other than that, some new player tips/commonly overlooked stuff:
:words:
I think it's worth mentioning that firing doesn't end your turn meaning you can use hit and run tactics with scouts. On that note because of the realtime nature of unit actions you should end a unit's turn quickly if you're in firing range of other enemies. If you don't then they'll take constant free reactionary fire on that unit. I don't mind snipers so far early-game - although restricting them to mid-range shots, aiming for the center of the head to maximise chance to hit, and always having a backup plan helps immensely.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

love blooms on the battlefield, something that only happens in anime

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Davincie posted:

love blooms on the battlefield

It's just like one of my japanese animes.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
When can I get a mod to replace Maximillian with Hitler?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Snipers are fine at early stages, what game is everyone else playing? You have to use them in specific situations but you can still easily 1-shot enemies early on, especially if you pick up ace guns.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Personally I never used Snipers until the final story mission, where it seemed like they were necessary to do anything. However they are essential in VC3 thanks to the Heavy Armor enemy units and smaller maps in that game.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Any more open map I like keeping one sniper in the back to pick off guys that might be awkward for my other troops to get at, but maps without a lot of flat open terrain, I didn't like bothering with having to pull them in and out of bases to move along.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Akumos posted:

Snipers are fine at early stages, what game is everyone else playing? You have to use them in specific situations but you can still easily 1-shot enemies early on, especially if you pick up ace guns.

I started using snipers right away and I found them incredibly useful. Yeah, sometimes they miss easy shots, but that's the case with any game where your accuracy is determined by dice rolls. 99% chance to hit just means 1% is larger than you think.

If them becoming powerhouses later is still true, then I can't wait.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

I started using snipers right away and I found them incredibly useful. Yeah, sometimes they miss easy shots, but that's the case with any game where your accuracy is determined by dice rolls. 99% chance to hit just means 1% is larger than you think.

If them becoming powerhouses later is still true, then I can't wait.

If you are using Marina(and I hope you are), when she's decent level and has a decent rifle she has perfect accuracy. As in the targeting reticle is single dot and she cannot miss under any circumstances. The other snipers are almost as good once they get to that point, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget, did VC1 have the sniper rifles that traded off some accuracy for being able to fire 3 bullets?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It's hard to believe just how well optimized this poo poo is. It literally will run on loving anything, including my awful mobile intel HD 3000.

SEGA must have been taken over by wizards judging by their decision to port this and how well it works.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Nate RFB posted:

I forget, did VC1 have the sniper rifles that traded off some accuracy for being able to fire 3 bullets?

It did not. The only different type of sniper rifle in VC1 are anti-tank sniper rifles. Which are absolute garbage.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endorph posted:

maybe this one game just has bad writing and does not reflect on the entire genre

we're talking about jrpg's here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Det_no posted:

It's hard to believe just how well optimized this poo poo is. It literally will run on loving anything, including my awful mobile intel HD 3000.

SEGA must have been taken over by wizards judging by their decision to port this and how well it works.

This should also be emphasized - the system requirements on the Steam Store page are a joke. I'm convinced this will run on a good single-core machine and any DirectX9-compatible graphics card. I actually wish I still owned my GeForce 6800, just for the sake of curiosity in seeing if the game would run. It's been run on an 8600 at 30fps (though not 60) in 720p. You could probably get a playable framerate out of a loving first-gen DX9 card if you bumped down to 640x480.

• Locked thread