Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Even if you don't abuse orders, scouts are still the most overpowered unit by far. They should have upped the movement range for all troops. And yes, waiting the enemy turns is the worst drat thing. I can't believe they didn't give the option to skip that in the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Pierson posted:

I loved VC2 but never had a PS3 to play this.

Only one question: Since this game isn't literally set in a high school I assume that the anime, while certainly there, isn't as terrible as it was in 2? By anime I mean 'terrible shoehorned romance', 'awful and tone-deaf moralising', and 'weird character stereotypes that have zero business being in a war'.

Edit: Oh wow promotions in this game just happen at level 11 and don't require an arcane and random certificate-farming process? Fuckin' A.

Nope, it has all that stuff. The game is pretty drat anime, including that stupid pig.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dropbear posted:

Way to read the post, good job!

I had no problems dealing with the rest of the reinforcements, the one invincible instakill-guy just ruined the run completely since I didn't telepathically know the path she's going to move through and avoid having any units there (and no, the awful cutscenes didn't tell). I didn't know, had my guys in cover that didn't face her path, so they died instantly and couldn't be hauled out of the map by the teleporting medic since anyone I tried moving there got shot down in an instant too.

I'm sure I could do the mission now that I know how it's scripted, but if this is how the maps are going to work in the future (try once to see what unavoidable, unkillable surprises, teleporting tanks etc. the game map has where, then play again when you know these things) I just don't find that fun. At all.

I knew to be ready for Selvaria, but there is another mission later in the game that pissed me off something fierce. What sucks is that it is really easy when you know the trick that the game is going to pull on you. A later mission gives you one objective and once you do it, I think more troops show up along with a tank that they make you take out. I lost the first time trying to play it for real, and then the second time, I simply just said gently caress it and pre-empted the attack

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The game can be really odd at times. While you can cheat the AI at times, the AI can somewhat cheat too. The biggest frustration was doing the mission where you have to protect the camp and not let anyone in.

For some reason, either the AI knows how to push your guys buttons to not reactive fire fast enough or your guys are just slower at it. I would have guys parked right in front and they wouldn't start firing until a 1-2 seconds later which would let people march right in.

I eventually just save scummed it because gently caress that mission.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So the T-mag guns are better in the long run?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rookersh posted:

The add effect weapons? I find them totally useless honestly. They are killer against your squad because the Imps usually play defensive, and will reaction fire your stats down when you attack them. Meanwhile your guys are almost always the attackers, and if you are shooting someone you probably want to kill them with the first volley. No point in making a guy have worse accuracy if you can just make him dead instead.

Yeah, I figured. I played again for the first time in years and found out that I had went the T-Mag path which has the extended magazines.

Also, I played mission 6 again today and had forgotten how broken Alicia is. The sandstorm came, and I just marched straight back to the enemy camp after double movement popped. Had Aika grenade the shocktrooper there cause Alicia had already used her grenade. Mission complete. A rank. Also, I love how broken the Ruhm is. The range makes it so that you will blast almost anyone that has the nerve to attack you or even walk near you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just do the skirmishes that you can break. Some of them ypu can load up on orders and just rush to the end.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Just finished the liberation of Fouzen and man is it nice to have the shamrock. Better range than Eidelweiss and able to maneuver behind enemy tanks pretty handily in the skirmishes. Playing it on PS3 I don't think I used it all that much. Are the flamethrower and gatling turrets worth much? On the first playthrough I just had it mortar or ram the imps out of cover.

The flamethrower is pretty useful. The Shamrock is good because it is expendable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I really wish there was a mod to add the Ruhm to everybody. I want to break this game even more than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Caution (which is either one of the common old guy spawns or something you get as you level up your dudes) allows scouts to pretty much ignore interception fire - which means you can finish 80% of all maps by just rushing the flag. "Awaken Ability" on a decent scout (say... someone whose names starts with A) means their abilities will activate every time. If those abilities consist of "ignore interception fire" "murder everyone you shoot" and "recover HP by murdering dudes" that's the other 20% taken care of.

Not to mention Double Movement

• Locked thread