Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Guys I make good games ok just look at Psychonaughts!

* Makes Brutal Legend but gets bored of making a Hack and Slash adventure half way through and makes an RTS instead *
To be fair an RTS where you're on the ground with the troops is a neat idea, and has been done a few times beforehand: Pikmin, and, uh, some PC game that I can't remember the name of where you were being jerked around by like eight different gods.

The problem is it feels kind of bolted on to the base hack and slash stuff, yeah. Not everything gels as smoothly as it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I had to google this spacebase thing everyone is talking about, I can see why people are hesitant.

Endorph posted:

To be fair an RTS where you're on the ground with the troops is a neat idea, and has been done a few times beforehand: Pikmin, and, uh, some PC game that I can't remember the name of where you were being jerked around by like eight different gods.

The problem is it feels kind of bolted on to the base hack and slash stuff, yeah. Not everything gels as smoothly as it should.

I thought it was ok, I just made big armies, pointed them in a direction then used double teams and the face melter to clear out groups of enemies. I was super bad at killing enemy generals though.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

The PC game is called Sacrifice if I recall correctly.

They should use some of this Kickstarter money to hire some artists, regardless of paedophile babies this game looks ugly as sin, and mostly because of art direction.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

sacrifice, which is one of the greatest games ever made. rip shiny entertainment

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Sacrifice owns, the voice acting owns, Stratos owns (since it's Tim Curry, who owns).

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

"It'll be finished when it's finished we're out of money"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, can this thread be about Sacrifice instead? For one thing it actually exists.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

To be fair I think that this is more brad mier's project than tim's and it was kickstarted right after broken age. I haven't played the beta yet so color me cautiously optimistic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrManiac posted:

To be fair I think that this is more brad mier's project than tim's and it was kickstarted right after broken age. I haven't played the beta yet so color me cautiously optimistic.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sacrifice exists, Battlezone II especially was quite a lot like Brutal Legend but better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

Yeah, can this thread be about Sacrifice instead? For one thing it actually exists.

Tell me about Sacrifice. Does it hold up?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

Iunno, I haven't played it in years. I'm gonna go find out, though

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah, can this thread be about Sacrifice instead?
The between-gods banter was hilarious, poor James always got the shorter end of the stick. Too bad the game got really hard towards the end and I never really finished it without cheats. I might replay it one of these days but I'm still scarred by the memories of how chaotic things were to control.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I do hope someone who will actually finish it makes a CKII XCOM hybrid one day

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

It has that early-mid 2000s problem where the units all look like dogshit (see also Warrior Kings etc.), but some of the charm is there, sure.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
The game is quite good but the XCOM comparison is extremely flattering, MC has nothing like the same depth as XCOM. I really like the eugenics and random characters aspect, without which this game would just be a generic TRPG. I love this kind of random generation aspect in games where factors outside your control influence the tools you have to work with, like football manager's regens or the random level ups in blood bowl or XCOM. The heredity aspect enhances that further and makes the strategic layer pretty intriguing if only for the emergent story of your bloodlines.

One complaint is I really wish your heroes got more action in a single lifetime. You can have a fantastic character with great attributes pop up then fight once or twice before dying of old age, so you never really develop an emotional attachment to individuals like you would in the aforementioned games. It reminds me more of the mindfuckingly lovely ROME 2 Total War where your heroes have levels and skill trees and so on but die of old age so rapidly that they never get into a groove and feel like a major part of your gameplan. The game has potential but a XCOM Long War style mod would enhance the game greatly. A related issue is that too much of your heroes' experience level is just stacking experience bonuses from when they were a child, rather than what you earn in battle. It's the difference between the attachment you feel to something you're given rather than something you've earned.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dre2Dee2 posted:

*glances at Mighty No. 9*

...uh oh

I wonder if people wound give Double Fine 190,000 dollars for one extra boss battle.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
This is the ugliest videogame I've seen in a very long time. That isn't hyperbole, it really isn't - the screenshots on the steam page actually make me grimace in pain at how unappealing and grating the entire game looks. Nowadays I know better than to kickstart a game that isn't in a near-finished state where you can see how it looks and plays, but if I had been suckered into backing this... Just, good god. I would be so furious.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bogart posted:

its good but hard and doesn't really teach you much how to play (so its an old game). its also cheap and if you wait for a bit it might be 1 buck on steam again

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

MrBims posted:

This is the ugliest videogame I've seen in a very long time. That isn't hyperbole, it really isn't - the screenshots on the steam page actually make me grimace in pain at how unappealing and grating the entire game looks. Nowadays I know better than to kickstart a game that isn't in a near-finished state where you can see how it looks and plays, but if I had been suckered into backing this... Just, good god. I would be so furious.

I quite like it :shrug:. I didn't back the kickstarter so I got it on steam for £17.49 and I'd say it's more than met my expectations, though on steam you can obviously get much bigger games for lesser prices. The graphics are fine for me, they're intended to be highly stylised while allowing for resemblance across a family. It reminds me of World of Warcraft graphics in that they are basic without being ugly. You disagree, c'est la vie.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Oh god help me. I'm in the need for fantasy X-Com and my only other option is Natural Doctrine.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When house Conman failed to produce an heir, in the dwindling days of the keep they adopted a young baby boy found on the battlefield Anane. Sadly, the regent passed away and less than a year later...

Anane's young life was marked with tragedy as his loving and supporting wife passed away, the loss of his birth parents, adopted parents and wife was more than any four year old should bear. Anane found solace in his many adopted children two of which were one year younger than him. He went on to father many more heroes. At one point 80% of the nations forces had originated from his loins. Since relic discovery is based on weapon usage, we now have 3 crossbow based relics and zero of any other kind.

Anone currently resides in Blazinglion keep with his 4th wife who is 22 years of age.

trashcangammy posted:

You can have a fantastic character with great attributes pop up then fight once or twice before dying of old age, so you never really develop an emotional attachment to individuals like you would in the aforementioned games.

I'm gonna win this war for baby regent. :unsmith: Also a 19 year old warrior got disillusioned since I didn't send him out to battle, moaning about his life purpose. The last cadence attack happened when he 11, so when he asked to go on a five year trip discover himself I said yes (also his traits were craaaap) he came back disillusioned after a failed string of businesses and marriages with a depressed personality trait and reduced xp.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Davincie posted:

its good but hard and doesn't really teach you much how to play (so its an old game). its also cheap and if you wait for a bit it might be 1 buck on steam again

GoG.com.

http://www.gog.com/game/sacrifice

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lol if you give money to doublefine

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

At one point 80% of the nations forces had originated from his loins.

What an incredible set of stanky old loins.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

trashcangammy posted:

I quite like it :shrug:. I didn't back the kickstarter so I got it on steam for £17.49 and I'd say it's more than met my expectations, though on steam you can obviously get much bigger games for lesser prices. The graphics are fine for me, they're intended to be highly stylised while allowing for resemblance across a family. It reminds me of World of Warcraft graphics in that they are basic without being ugly. You disagree, c'est la vie.

"Stylised"

Your comparison to WoW's graphics is apt however, Massive Chalice does resemble a game made ten years ago.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I do hope someone who will actually finish it makes a CKII XCOM hybrid one day

I'd get behind that.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

"Stylised"

Your comparison to WoW's graphics is apt however, Massive Chalice does resemble a game made ten years ago.

Yes. Yes it does. Zinger, bro.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I was pretty interested right up until you mentioned Double Fine OP, at which point I pitied you because in about 11 months you'll be coming back to this thread to post about your abandonware :(

Double Fine is a great example of why some developers really really need a publisher.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I was pretty interested right up until you mentioned Double Fine OP, at which point I pitied you because in about 11 months you'll be coming back to this thread to post about your abandonware :(

Double Fine is a great example of why some developers really really need a publisher.

I paid fifteen bucks for it and I got to make Lord Frey, I hope they improve the graphics, but if they don't I'll be ok. What you should be pitying me over is a torn butt muscle I have, that's what sucks in my life right now.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME
This is a really fun game in its current state IMO. I'm not really attached to my heroes, but I am really attached to my noble houses. I have 3 houses that are really strong right now, and I always end up picking a couple of offspring to shower with relics and bring into battle with me. The rest end up helping with research or marrying into other houses.

My only real complaint at this point is depth in the tactical layer. I always run 3 hunters 2 caberjacks. The hunters output shitloads of damage and the caberjacks are basically bodyguards. Alchemists are sort of useless, but Brad and co. seem to agree, they're looking for ways to make the alchemist worthwhile.

Everyone has reason to poo poo on a DF kickstarter project, but this game's already really engrossing, don't let "DF kickstarter" turn you off.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I finally have a hero with the quick witted trait and it's the very first grandchild of the Baby Regent! :)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

jBrereton posted:

Sacrifice exists, Battlezone II especially was quite a lot like Brutal Legend but better.

Oh man, I loved Battlezone 2. It really did manage to combine fighting and RTS gameplay in an enjoyable way.

Also, you can get out of your vehicle, snipe the pilot out of an enemy mech, and then hijack the thing as the opening volley to your wave of troops coming over the hill. What's not to love?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yeah, Double Fine is a great example of how you can look at a press quote like five years later and suddenly realize Kotick was right and sometimes publishers are right and feel kinda icky.

And yeah this game sounds like something I'd want to play, but...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol wow Double fine has some balls

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Eonwe posted:

lol wow Double fine has some balls

Is it actually ballsy if they know that dumb idiot nerds will throw money at them no matter what?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slime posted:

Is it actually ballsy if they know that dumb idiot nerds will throw money at them no matter what?

yeah, good point I guess

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I have found a red headed black champion. Maybe when people made custom houses they had settings for what the family looked like and hardly anyone chose a black family. :(

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, Double Fine is a great example of how you can look at a press quote like five years later and suddenly realize Kotick was right and sometimes publishers are right and feel kinda icky.

And yeah this game sounds like something I'd want to play, but...

It's ok man, just wait until it's finished and some reviews are out on the final product, then make a decision on it. I kickstarted it so I have early access, might as well play it and make a thread for what I think is a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I finally have a hero with the quick witted trait and it's the very first grandchild of the Baby Regent! :)

Does the game...go anywhere? Or are you just fostering and rearing babies to be warriors forever unto eternity?

• Locked thread