Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Hahaha Ok write a bunch of words about Minecraft and pretend that has gently caress all to do with anything

A single sentence is a bunch of words? Okay, you're just dumb I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

I totally understand getting pissed that DF-9 was dropped but how does admitting their faults make it a "stunning lack of self awareness?" If anything that makes them more aware. They thought the game could bring in revenue to justify future development. It didn't so they pulled the plug. What other options were there?

Steam changed their terms and conditions directly after this to state that there _had to be_ the expectation of a finished game at the end of early access and it wasn't yet another alpha funding source. You might be missing that concept when you're defending the business practices of someone that you're not connected to.

The 'stunning lack of awareness' is that they've managed to throw doubt on their ability to deliver on early access, which means that doublefine has to ship before I'll buy into anything they produce from this point on, *and* I will be part of a vocal mass that criticizes them.

Marketing 101, brah. Satisfied customers give referrals, dissatisfied customers will _hunt you down_. Make your own marketplace toxic and five years later you're bitching about gamers and their sense of entitlement in wanting actual playable games.

"But they did nothing wrong?!?!!!"

Technically, no, but charging money for something that you intend to be entirely funded by pre-orders should be made clear to the people purchasing, and this is where I have a loving problem with Doublefine. Seriously, go read the statement that Tim put out about it, and ask if it's loving reasonable. I and my wallet don't believe so, and I'll tell anyone that cares to listen to it.

They pretty much forced Valve to close a terms loophole.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hav posted:

Steam changed their terms and conditions directly after this to state that there _had to be_ the expectation of a finished game at the end of early access and it wasn't yet another alpha funding source. You might be missing that concept when you're defending the business practices of someone that you're not connected to.

This means nothing, though. Literally everyone expects their game to be finished. Valve can't gauge your finances and there are still Minecraft-esque "it's done when it's done" blackhole games on Early Access. If Valve wants to prevent things like this from happening they'll need to get involved directly with development, asking for scheduled updates or start pulling games and I don't see that happening.

But I still don't see how this is a lack of self awareness. Foolish, yes. Shows a lack of insight and planning, all of those. But a company with no self awareness would continue throwing money into a doomed project until they closed the doors. Literally anyone else, whether it was EA or Activision or Ubisoft would have canceled it. Double Fine just admitted the reason behind it. Towns was completely abandoned and it took someone who wasn't even getting paid working on it to say "Yeah, no money."

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Apparently the Towns devs have actually returned to the project and are updating it, so I think that puts them a step ahead of DF-9, sadly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody else would've expected to be funded off Early Access. Because Early Access is not a crowdfunding mechanism and there are a handful of games at most that have become profitable whilst on it. DF went into spacebase with the hope that they'd hit gold whilst giving all the purchasers the impression this was a properly-financed game and Early Access was just a nice bonus to play it early.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Nobody else would've expected to be funded off Early Access. Because Early Access is not a crowdfunding mechanism and there are a handful of games at most that have become profitable whilst on it. DF went into spacebase with the hope that they'd hit gold whilst giving all the purchasers the impression this was a properly-financed game and Early Access was just a nice bonus to play it early.

And it worked. Until suddenly it didn't.

And if they recouped $400k in two weeks off EA imagine how much farther they could have gone had it been financially backed from the very beginning.

It sucks the people who dropped money got gypped. I'm not defending that, I'm just trying to put things in perspective when 90% of this thread is filled with one sentence :effort: posts regurgitating the same emoticon or tim_schafer_smells_money.jpg. Nothing about that project from its inception smelled right. Inflated budget, sandbox game, with no clear end goals in mind. Hack 'n Slash was part of the same batch of indie games and had zero issues related to it regardless of its end quality.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The real question isn't why do people root for Double Fine to fail, the question is why are so many internet retards hell bent on defending them

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The real question isn't why do people root for Double Fine to fail, the question is why are so many internet retards hell bent on defending them

The same reason so many internet retards circle jerk over the latest controversy by posting meme images and one sentence "ironic" posts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

The same reason so many internet retards circle jerk over the latest controversy by posting meme images and one sentence "ironic" posts.
you do realize you just called yourself an internet retard right

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

you do realize you just called yourself an internet retard right

I've spent the last hour typing words that ultimately mean nothing on an internet forum, I'm pretty goddamn retarded.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Uh, that's the Indie Fund. DF-9 is nowhere near the most expensive project Double Fine has worked on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Christian Knudsen posted:

Uh, that's the Indie Fund. DF-9 is nowhere near the most expensive project Double Fine has worked on.

My mistake, I know Broken Age started out asking for $400k so maybe that's DF's target line for their smaller titles. I know that's not their most expensive project, Brutal Legend was tens of millions.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, from what I've heard, DF-9 was a rather small project with just a few people working on it at any one time. Which just makes it even weirder that it got cancelled that quickly. However, with the recent layoffs at Double Fine, we may have been given another clue as to why the plug was pulled. JP LeBreton was one of the unfortunate people to get fired when the unannounced project that Double Fine was working on for a publisher got cancelled. LeBreton was of course also project lead on DF-9. I don't know how much time he spent on developing DF-9, but it does indicate that perhaps DF-9 got cancelled because Double Fine didn't want LeBreton wasting time on DF-9 instead of the unannounced game for a publisher? Perhaps they needed him 100% focused on the unannounced game? Which sucks big time for LeBreton: first his own game gets cancelled, then the game he was moved to gets cancelled and he's fired.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

By 'defend them' do you mean 'talk about a game in the thread for the game'? Because if you guys want to argue about double fine funding mechanisms and project management you should feel free to do it somewhere else. Anyone who comes in here will, by now, know it's a double fine game and that they've made poor project management decisions in the past, so they should only buy the game if they're happy with what they're getting as it stands right now.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

al-azad posted:

My mistake, I know Broken Age started out asking for $400k so maybe that's DF's target line for their smaller titles. I know that's not their most expensive project, Brutal Legend was tens of millions.

Wasn't a good chunk of that for the documentary of making the game?

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Wasn't a good chunk of that for the documentary of making the game?

100K in the initial pitch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lol what r u talking about preotdrtig sword of then stars 2 isa good idea

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

It really seems like if it was any other developer people would be shunning the poo poo outta them. Like if they were a wing of EA we'd never stop hearing about how evil they were for running a literal bait-and-switch scam.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It really seems like if it was any other developer people would be shunning the poo poo outta them. Like if they were a wing of EA we'd never stop hearing about how evil they were for running a literal bait-and-switch scam.
Because imo it was a huge fuckup, not a scam, and anyway their colossal mismanagement of previous titles doesn't affect my enjoyment of the title that is on my computer currently.
Also, in this thread we never do stop hearing about how evil they are sooooo.....

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

awesmoe posted:

Also, in this thread we never do stop hearing about how evil they are sooooo.....

That should have given you the first clue.

Just because you are liking it NOW, doesn't actually have any bearing on if it will actually get finished or not.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

lol what r u talking about preotdrtig sword of then stars 2 isa good idea

Even the hammer legion abandoned Mecron over that poo poo.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Just because you are liking it NOW, doesn't actually have any bearing on if it will actually get finished or not.
but...it doesn't matter if it gets finished, because I like what I have now

maybe this will clear things up

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So is this the massive chalice thread or not?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Duggler posted:

Well the OP is and some of the replies are about Massive Chalice, but mostly it's about Double Fine these days.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

awesmoe posted:

but...it doesn't matter if it gets finished, because I like what I have now

There exists more people other than yourself.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

CainFortea posted:

This is a good point to future player reviewers. Just because I feel the game is worth its pricepoint now doesn't mean the game won't be updated to nothing more than a picture of tubgirl at 3 times the current price.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
As much as I love to poo poo on Early Access in general for being a terrible concept that encourages cash grabs, awesmoe and fermun are correct in this case.

Saying "I think it's the worth the money right now" is the one thing that makes buying an Early Access game a good idea. You should never buy one on promises of what's to come or "on the roadmap" or whatever bullshit gets thrown around about the future. But if an EA game is already worth the asking price even if the developer dropped it tomorrow and it was never updated again then you can go ahead and make the purchase. I think that almost all EA games do not fit this description because by and large they are either cash grabs, perpetually unfinished projects that somebody got tired of, or ill conceived funding approaches. However there are some gems out there that are worth it in EA, just do your loving homework before you buy.

I make this as a general statement without specific relevance to Massive Chalice. I mean it's a Double Fine game so yeah it probably sucks in general even assuming it's ever finished at all, but who knows maybe they finally made some playable. Either way it sure is ugly as poo poo!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And what if other people don't think it's worth the asking price now?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

And what if other people don't think it's worth the asking price now?

Then they should definitely not buy it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Capitalism!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The Duggler posted:

This is the Big Cup thread.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh neat, just got an email saying they're going implement hybrid classes. So the regent determine's the child's primary class and the partner the secondary and it's not a straight up skill tree swap it's new hybrid skills.

Big Cup Email posted:

“We’ve talked about it” long enough! We’ve been digging into the Hybrid Class system and we’re just about ready to unveil it!

But first… we’ll just give you a quick reminder that we are in Steam Early Access RIGHT NOW. http://store.steampowered.com/app/246110 If you backed the game at $20+ and haven’t received your code for MASSIVE CHALICE then please email us at support@doublefine.com or you can contact Humble directly to get your code! https://support.humblebundle.com

State of the Game

We’ve issued multiple patches to the game since we launched our Premium Backer Beta back in November. And right now we’re in the middle of our biggest patch yet! We’re prepping a big update that features the long-awaited Hybrid Classes!

Hybrid Class Overview

Starting in the new patch all heroes will have a Primary Class and a Secondary Class. Your initial batch of heroes will be Pure Classes - Caberjack, Alchemist, Hunter. These are the Classes that are in the game now with no changes! For the sake of this system, a Pure Class is a character that has the same Primary and Secondary Class.

Hybrid Classes are created when two heroes with different primary classes have a kid or adopt one. The Regent’s Primary Class becomes the baby hero’s Primary Class and the Partner’s Primary Class becomes the baby’s Secondary class.

Note that this generates 6 unique hybrid classes. Why did we choose to do it this way? With the way relic weapons work we wanted the Primary Class to determine the weapons and armor of the hero. So this way if your Regent was a Caberjack/Hunter and you are a Caberjack/Alchemist (because your other parent was an Alchemist/Alchemist) then we want you to end up using Caberjack armor and fighting with your Regent’s Caber.

Hybrid Skill Trees

For each hybrid we started with the Primary Class’s tree. Then we worked in as many abilities from the Secondary Class’s tree that made sense. After that we started brainstorming brand new abilities that felt like cool variations of the Secondary Class being applied to the way that the Primary Class operates.

The simplest example is the Hunter/Alchemist. We removed the ability of this Hunter flavor to use the Follow Up shot and replaced it with the Flask Shot. This ability lets the Hunter/Alchemist fire an arrow tipped with an explosive Alchemist flask at a target to deal AoE damage. It feels significantly different than an Alchemist flask throw. You can fire it at a much longer range than an Alchemist throw, but you can’t shoot it over walls and you lose the ability to position the explosion exactly where you want - it always has to be centered on the target that you’re aiming at. This opens up a lot of additional strategic depth where you can breed a Hunter to become an AoE threat capable of killing multiple Seeds at once!

Alchemist/Caberjack Hybrid Deep Dive

The Alchemist/Caberjack is turning out to be one of my favorite Hybrid Classes in the game. We wanted to take the Alchemist and focus much more on the melee aspect of the class. For starters we decided to remove the Free Throw ability from this class. That ability is all about Flask Throwing so taking it away opens up space on the tree and allows us to create new things. In its place we added a double melee attack called Hack n Slash. This ability has similar rules to the Hunter’s Follow Up ability and lets you deal out two melee attacks on the same target if the first one hits. It really stresses the melee ability of the Alchemist! We also wanted to get more of the Caberjack’s abilities into the tree. So we took the standard Alchemist Flask and replaced it with a custom Knockback Flask. This explosion only knocks characters 1 tile away and doesn’t guarantee a stun, but if you position your bomb just right you can knock enemies into walls or each other to get a stun. This turns the Alchemist/Caberjack into a much more controlling character.

At lvl 4 we replaced the Alchemist’s Spirit of the Dart Falcon (again, another Flask-focused ability) with the Caberjack’s Fury skill. This skill encourages you to get your Alchemist up into the action taking some damage so that they get a big damage boost on the next turn.

At lvl 6 we replaced Throw Items with the Caberjack’s new AoE Prime Target. I thought this would be especially sweet on an Alchemist that’s wearing the Cadence-fueled Volatile Carapace. Taunt a ton of melee enemies, get a defensive buff, and watch them rush you and trigger multiple explosions!

At lvl 8 we replaced the Fertilizer Flask with a brand new AoE Claw Swipe ability. This is another melee-focused move that lets you deal AoE damage at close range. It’s great to have an AoE option for when you run out of flasks!

We’re leaving all of the lvl 10 abilities unchanged, so the Alchemist/Caberjack will still have the Mad Bomber skill, allowing them to carry a ton of Knockback Flasks into combat for maximum control!

Did I fail to mention that there are a ton of other changes in the patch like increasing the base Alchemist Flask to a 3x3 explosion? :D! We’ll have an in-depth look at the rest of the hybrid trees and abilities during the Teamstream! :D!

Hybrid Class Armors

Geoff had a sweet idea to do custom armors for all of the Hybrid Classes. He did a custom set for the base, refined, and advanced armors for all 6 of the hybrids. This is a TON of art but it’s looking really close to being finished! Here’s a sweet shot of some of the heroes with their upgraded hybrid armor! :D! In this screen you can see the 3 Alchemist flavors with their Advanced armor together. Alchemist/Hunter left, Pure Alchemist middle, and Alchemist/Caberjack right.

Relic Art

Chad, Geoff, and Jeremy have cooked up a sweet system to give the Relics of MASSIVE CHALICE some unique visuals. Geoff and Jeremy have modeled a bunch of Throwers, Cabers, and Crossbows based off of Derek’s designs. These weapons are all split into two pieces. When a Relic is created, two of these pieces are grabbed at random and assembled into a Relic weapon. This should give a lot more personality to Relics. It’s also backwards compatible with old saves so if you load up an old game that has Relics they should all get unique visuals applied to them! :D! Check out Whiskeybreath with the Atkinson Relic, The Fleeting Smile! :D!

Initial Bloodline Selection

Silvio, a new programmer on team MASSIVE CHALICE, has completed the Sigil Picker! This screen is used to select your Core Bloodline when starting a new game. It’s really rad to see all of the sigils that were created by the backers of the game. Thanks again for your creativity and hard work!

The Future

We’re not done yet! Here’s our original Early Access list of things that we’re still jamming on!
Difficulty Modes.
IRON Mode.
Controller Support.
EFIGS Localization. (French, Italian, German, Spanish)

We’re looking forward to the continued balance tweaks in future updates. Thanks for all of the feedback on the forums!

Here's the initial hybrid skill tree.

http://imgur.com/Qm41FkZ

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
To the Minecraft guy : I played Minecraft and I thought exploring a cave was cool. I played Massive Chalice and I thought it was a bad XCOM.

I never played Minecraft after I originally bought it and felt satisfied, but I now have to play Massive Chalice again at some point if I want to justify spending money on a Doublefine pitch.

I think Brad Muir is a snake in the grass.

Edit: Also it's really dumb that I can gay marry my dudes, but there isn't some systemic conflict between love and breeding my way toward the ubermensch. If two dudes fight together and fall in love then I would feel bad marrying them off to go breed.

bigass jncos fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 12, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

bigass jncos posted:

To the Minecraft guy : I played Minecraft and I thought exploring a cave was cool. I played Massive Chalice and I thought it was a bad XCOM.

I never played Minecraft after I originally bought it and felt satisfied, but I now have to play Massive Chalice again at some point if I want to justify spending money on a Doublefine pitch.

I think Brad Muir is a snake in the grass.

Edit: Also it's really dumb that I can gay marry my dudes, but there isn't some systemic conflict between love and breeding my way toward the ubermensch. If two dudes fight together and fall in love then I would feel bad marrying them off to go breed.

Actually if someone has amazing personality traits, like patriotic, but poor genetic traits, like anything that slows movement rate, they don't breed, but they adopt or act as standards. Gay marriages can be pretty beneficial.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Played the early build for a bit today. Not sure I like the "you're being attacked in two places, pick one to defend" mechanic, but I was also not a fan of terror missions in X-COM.

I may have made a mistake trying to get some of the support buildings up before keeps--on my last defense mission I had only 8 heroes and they were all hunters. Not enough recruits, perhaps.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

225 years in, and I've quite enjoyed myself.

Basic party is 2 Hunters, 1 Caberjack, 2 alchemists.

On any map with low walls the hunter's Listening skill + flask lobbing is awesome. You can toss over a Bee Bomb and wait 'til everything dies, or toss some acid and do the same.

Flarrow is a godsend against bulwarks. So is Acid/Stun/Bees.

Advanced Bulwarks do too much damage, but so far I've enjoyed the balance. I look forward to Hybrid classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Got the new update with the hybrid classes and a fast shadowjack(Caberjack with hunter abilities) is amazing, you can stealth near enemies hit them with a stun and still have the survivability of the caberjack's defensive abilities. I've also made some brewtalists (alchemist regent, caberjack partner) their abilities are kinda unique in that they get some multi hit melee attacks, an aoe melee, a ranged aoe with knockbacks (flask based). Their flasks do less base damage but if the enemies are knocked back into anything(including another enemy) it does a whole bunch of extra damage I'm not sure how much though.

Either I've forgotten some of the maps or they added some new ones which is nice.

• Locked thread