Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
its making me reflect on my choices about who i hang around with

someone i know described it as a "mini christmas"

i mean i know, sever immediately with that guy, but still. it's unreasonable that i personally know around a half dozen people who not only think the new dumb and dumber isnt going to be reprehensibly bad, but want to see it in theaters. i feel like this makes me a worse person overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

sever

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
what's your flannel pattern look like?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't think I'll like it, but I'm going to watch it. The first movie is just too much of a part of my life to avoid seeing this obvious nostalgia cash-in from two old men who have been better dramatic actors than comedians for most of my life.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

my dad is probably going to love this movie he always likes the most retarded comedies like the grown ups saga or a million ways to die in the west

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I can't wait to see it in theaters, I've spent weeks thinking about these two comedic masters and their reprisal of their iconic roles from the 90s. Their chemistry, their close physical proximity, their lips drooping out from their wrinkled faces clacking together like pendulums in one brief moment of intense sensuality before fading away like hot breath on a mirror.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tonsured posted:

I can't wait to see it in theaters, I've spent weeks thinking about these two comedic masters and their reprisal of their iconic roles from the 90s. Their chemistry, their close physical proximity, their lips drooping out from their wrinkled faces clacking together like pendulums in one brief moment of intense sensuality before fading away like hot breath on a mirror.

Its going to suck

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
big twist everyone its bad

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

they're fuckin stupid, get it?!?! hahaha

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i'm going to look at the original dumb and dumber, then i'm going to see dumb and dumber to, then i'm going to go home and watch an episode of the newsroom. i will be highly intoxicated throughout all of this

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
honestly though, i've never fully seen the first one

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

Its bad and it your dads an idiot for liking it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Gaunab posted:

well the plot is jim carrey and jeff daniels are stupid as poo poo!!!

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
they pee on a scooter, that's the gag

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I am hoping it is good and the naysayers feel bad for saying their nays.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I was excited before all the reviews came out. Love that first one so much. :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
FACEPALM: THE MOVIE PART 4

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
OR MAYBE 5 IM NOT USRE

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

mookface posted:

Its going to suck

if it does well we'll probably get another ace ventura

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
It really is quite funny.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
is Dumb and Dumberer still canon in the Dumbiverse? What about the animated series?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geLnpGmQAQ

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

shiksa posted:

its making me reflect on my choices about who i hang around with

someone i know described it as a "mini christmas"

i mean i know, sever immediately with that guy, but still. it's unreasonable that i personally know around a half dozen people who not only think the new dumb and dumber isnt going to be reprehensibly bad, but want to see it in theaters. i feel like this makes me a worse person overall.

people think stuff is funny and you're just kind of like that guy who complains about everything that nobody really wants around anyway

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it really loving sucks. almost beat for beat remake of the first.

remember when they gently caress with the blind kid? They do it again.

remember when there was a guy that went with lloyd and harry and then got killed? Happened again.

Chick they're searching for that lloyd wants to bone? Check

Road trip? check.

dumb mcguffin that needs to be brought to the girl? check.

dream sequence with violent moment? check.

plot with bad guys getting money through illegal means? check.

I hate this movie. It made me legit sad. I was prepared for it to be kinda bad, not really amazing, but hopefully somewhat enjoyable seeing carrey and daniels again....it was just horrible though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i bet they dont use the term retarded which is somehow on the level of racial slurs now??

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Previews didn't look too good

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
I THOUGHT SHE WAS JUST A RAGING ALCOHOLIC! :v:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

why did robin williams kill himself when everyone would have been better off if jim carrey killed himself?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
El Paso makes it worth watching. Though it's disturbing to me to see the actors so old. I felt my mortality watching the movie.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

they should do another prequel n ext it will be funnier now that theyre so old

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

There is no way this isn't going to suck and people too stupid to know this should be burned.

Unless they're so young they never saw the first one, they get a pass. Like someone said it's probably the same movie beat for beat.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

why did robin williams kill himself when everyone would have been better off if jim carrey killed himself?

jim carrey says some very depressing poo poo, he won't be far behind

I shan't be watching this dumb and dumber 2, just like I have never watched any indania jones or die hards after the 3rd ones. I live in a world where cool 80s and 90s movies weren't ruined by terrible sequels from producers who have long since run out of ideas :thumbsup:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I shan't be watching this dumb and dumber 2, just like I have never watched any indania jones or die hards after the 3rd ones. I live in a world where cool 80s and 90s movies weren't ruined by terrible sequels from producers who have long since run out of ideas :thumbsup:

i dunno man that doesn't make you cool, it just makes you a pretentious douchebag

i bet you wouldn't bang kim kardashian or paris hilton too

if you say no you're a liar and we both know it.. even if you say no.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i took a wet, hot, poo poo today OP. like it was hot temperature wise and pepper wise

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
escanaba in da moonlight is the best thing jeff daniels ever did

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Cole posted:

i dunno man that doesn't make you cool, it just makes you a pretentious douchebag

i bet you wouldn't bang kim kardashian or paris hilton too

if you say no you're a liar and we both know it.. even if you say no.

oh..heh, is THAT what you find attractive? interesting...*adjusts hipster glasses*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"bang"

you marry billionaires idiots

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

1. Before you get too wrapped up in the negative early reaction to Dumb and Dumber To, the 20-years-later sequel to the 1994 mega-hit, remember that critics hated the first one. Critics are notoriously bad at predicting what comedies are going to stand the test of time; the target is always moving on them. (Here's a summary of original reviews of Anchorman: My favorite is the "Their collective timing is so off that the dead space around their endless bits is like that more commonly experienced during a job interview gone wrong" bit. Yeah, the collective timing was totally off in that movie.)

Often, the initial perception of a new comedy is more about the actor's public narrative than anything else—ridiculously, the top Metacritic score for a Will Ferrell film goes to the stodgy, stilted, Look, He's Getting Serious Now 2006 flop Stranger Than Fiction, which only appealed to people who for some reason wanted Ferrell to settle down and be boring. Unvarnished, unapologetic silliness is never rewarded by Rotten Tomatoes. It can take years for true comedy genius to be appreciated.

2. Dumb and Dumber To—a vastly inferior title to the otherwise vastly inferior 2003 prequel Dumb and Dumberer—isn't comedy genius by any stretch, but it's still pretty damned funny. There is no reason for it to exist other than "20 years have passed, and Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels were down for doing it," but since when did a comedy need to exist?

There is a sense that this film somehow needs to "justify" its return, to be some sort of postmodern, self-referencing meta in-joke about the ridiculousness of having a Dumb and Dumber sequel in the first place. But returning directors the Farrelly Brothers don't do meta: They've always been immune to self-reflection, often to the point of embarrassment. They're much more interested in firing off a well-timed fart joke or idiotic sight gag than winking at you as a matter of protection, the technique Judd Apatow first mastered but has lately just abused. This is to say: I'd rather watch Carrey and Daniels not realize they're bathing in nuclear waste than watch Apatow complain about turning 40 while talking Lena Dunham into a cameo. This sort of proud unhipness is winningly sincere.

3. Thus, Dumb and Dumber To is nothing new: just a random series of increasingly desperate gags swinging at the lowest possible fence. It's bizarre to even suggest that it's supposed to do anything beyond what it's obviously supposed to do, i.e., lunge at every available sight gag possible. Its a matter of taste. There's nothing self-reflexive or ironic about a man yanking out another man's catheter with his bare hands—even getting a couple friends to help with the yanking—but you can't help but admire anyone even going for the joke in the first place. There's an absurdist cell-phone riff between Carrey and Daniels that rises to the level of an Abbott & Costello routine; if you can't admire a movie so cheerfully dopey that it features a cross-country Zamboni trip, this is probably not the movie for you. DADT is old-fashioned that way: There's no winking, no flank-covering, no pop-culture references. It's just grown men hitting each other on the head with things. This is not without considerable virtue.

4. Much of this virtue is thanks to Carrey and Daniels: As much of a money grab as this movie clearly is, they're never sleepwalking. Both guys seem relieved, actually, to get back to such silliness. In the last 20 years, each has gone through the careerist spin cycle (particularly Carrey), replete with rises and falls, and at times they've both taken themselves as seriously as anyone in any field ever has. You sense, then, their delight in simply getting to act like morons for a couple of hours. Daniels actually shows his rear end in nearly every scene, which I choose to take as a personal apology for continuing to serve as Aaron Sorkin's personal mouthpiece.

As for Carrey, bless his heart, he looks happier than he has in years. His recent moves—he was the only funny part of lousy comedies The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and Kick-rear end 2—have revealed a man tired of trying to be "legit" and ready to get back to the rear end-talking that made him famous and that he deep-down loves the most; consequently, he unleashes himself here. He doesn't have much to worth with, but I still found him hilarious. Let's face it: Jim Carrey might have the best Dumb Guy Face in the history of this planet; every time he pulls a face in this movie, it made me laugh. It probably just comes down to that. I apologize for nothing.

5. All told, the movie is a little too safe and shambling. There are two inspired sequences, both fantasy segments, in which Harry and Lloyd imagine their futures, filtered through the lunacy of their own empty brains, and it's a relief to see the hangdog narrative flipped aside for a few maniac minutes. (Lloyd imagines himself whipping the testicles off ninjas, which is not something I've seen onscreen before. I'm not sure anyone's ever thought to even consider ninja testicles before.) It almost makes you wish they'd just shuttered the rest of the movie entirely and let Carrey and Daniels walk around being idiots. No plot, no story, no "situations" with a clearly lost Rob Riggle as the requisite bad guy—no one else onscreen, really. Just these two grateful goofballs, slapping each other and pouring Slurpees down their pants. That would have been enough for me. To each his own. We all have our silly spots. This movie hit mine.

Grade: B-

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I went and saw it with some coworkers over a long long lunch. It was pretty good... very similar to the original in terms of how things unfold, but we all enjoyed it and had some laughs.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Sometimes I don't get "people."

• Locked thread