Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Broenheim posted:

I preferred the snes

get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If Genesis were any good, it would be Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

ETA:

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ0YIfW2BUI

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 15, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Attitude Indicator posted:

everything is not about video games. you are addicted to video games. seek help from video games.

Perhaps it is you who is addicted for even getting my reference in the first place...hmmmmm?????

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
genesis post-peter gabriel is unlistenable

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

von Braun posted:

More actual good prog/pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udyNr0pY6ak

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61hzuGGJX0

It's no fun
Being an Illegal Alien

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Gabriel era, even the noodly filler songs, is a lot better than the later stuff.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

One time I did ecstasy and listened to genesis and phil collins all day. It was the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
genesis is poo poo

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd probably like prog era genesis more if the production wasn't dogshit. Also lamb lies down on Broadway is a bunch of godawful ambient noodling with a handful of good songs.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your rear end in a top hat. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They do what Nintendon't.

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

von Braun posted:

what?? give me some examples. Driving the Last Spike??

Peter went his own way and made some great music. Genesis kept going.

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

Telesphorus posted:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your rear end in a top hat. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

And Dream Theater are the successors. Take you dress off Telesphorus, lift up Sabrinas dress and grind your cock against her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0U7TBoUHk

Sas fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 16, 2014

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

They do what Nintendon't.

:( Stop playing video games and smell my fingers. That's Genesis right there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Genesis - a very good band.

Not best ever, that is obviously the Beatles.

Of this generation...probably top 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Genesis - a very good band.

Not best ever, that is obviously the Beatles.

Of this generation...probably top 20.

I find the Beatles very boring compared to Genesis. But that's just me. When you look at the energy between the two groups - the Beatles were each trying to become musicians in their own right. They fought each other and they lost that edge that enabled them to be 'chart toppers'. They burnt out very quickly.

Genesis worked together and supplied the world with great music long after Lennon and even Harrison were dead in their graves.

The Beatles were like a causal worker that say "Yes, I can do that" and then buggered off to fight and die. Not very professional at all.

• Locked thread