Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Polygons. You all obsess over them like spikey dogs to meat!
Ellipsoids, let me tell you all about how they will bring about the destruction of this...this tyranny of triangles!
The ellipsoid revolution is coming! Just you all wait, the end of an era is upon us!

Ddraig posted:

You'll take my polygons from my cold, dead Doritos.

Fixed that for you.

EvilGenius posted:

I can't find it right now, but there's a whole Euclidean presentation on existing GIS point cloud visualisers, and they were hilariously basic. That may not even be an issue in the industry, but I thought it was almost comical that in order to get smooth camera movement, one of the engines just removes 90% of the points from existence until the camera is stationary again. Load time was an issue with a lot of them too.

Legit, I can see the day when a game is made using this technology, and exactly this method. But instead of everything noticeably going to poo poo on movement, things near the center of your view stay sharp. They apply a load of filters on your screen to make it simulate or feel like how the human eye deals with motion. I mean, when you're moving you're not blind to peripherals but you also don't see everything perfectly. It would only work if you're in a fast paced circumstance where you have to run or are in a moving vehicle. It would be an interesting but quickly forgotten quirky game... But the only genre I can think of that can get away with removing 90% or more of your vision and still have people think that's okay is the horror genre.

What I'm trying to say is that someone's going to make a horrifying game out of this technology. :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
They've been talking about the death of polygons for, what, five years now? And they still haven't managed to get anything to move in their engines.

They can't even create MYST using their engine. Cause stuff in that game moves sometimes.

• Locked thread