Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Apthous posted:

Not an apology for the actions of the teacher or the actions of the school district during the event, but the legal defense used afterwords.

they did nothing wrong as shown by the lack of an apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Apthous posted:

They should be involved in the defense that their hired lawyers are using, and aware of the basic idea of what they will say in court. Again, this is not a private entity and should be held to a higher standard than an individual person. If indeed they were not involved in what defense their lawyers were using and just let them do their thing, then they should have at least offered an apology afterwords and there is no evidence that they did that at all.

Maybe you should be more upset with the judge than the school or lawyers since he obviously agreed that a 14 year old can be a "slut" and probably used that info to make his decision.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Soarer posted:

I don't see the difference. Schools are already having financial issues all over the country.

Maybe if they didn't act like little indigent shits when someone dares question them and resort to name calling, politicians would be more willing to give them increased funding. Another case of winning the battle but losing the war.

Barrista posted:

Maybe you should be more upset with the judge than the school or lawyers since he obviously agreed that a 14 year old can be a "slut" and probably used that info to make his decision.

Everyone acted like a loving retard in this situation: The lawyer, the school system, and judge for allowing that type of defense.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
are schools get more funding per student than most countries, funding isn't the problem, it's not having a hard curriculum, or any penalty for failing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: Also the teacher is a pedophile. Wait for it... wait for it...

Oh, he is not!

I mean, I'm pretty sure he's not a teacher anymore.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
Since the offense happened in 2011, the girl is probably 17-18 now. I bet the case would have had a chance of swinging her way if it was closer to when she was 14. I would be curious if some of the slut shaming was based of sexual encounters after the fact, and one would have to ask if her having sex with a teacher was not a catalyst for that behavior in the long run. Either way, at least the dude went to jail. Sucks for her though.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Apthous posted:

judge for allowing that type of defense.
Yeah, judges should just throw out any defense they find distasteful. Sounds like a win for our legal system.

Seriously, are you 13?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Apthous posted:

I haven't been arguing about whether or not the school should be responsible, I actually don't think they should be unless they had reasonable suspicion to believe he was a pedophile. My problem is with the legal defense that they either allowed or didn't apologize about.
I was talking about the legal defense though.

Apthous posted:

This was a public entity defending itself, not an individual person.
Well, this really only means they are defending other people too.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

TOILETLORD posted:

are schools get more funding per student than most countries, funding isn't the problem, it's not having a hard curriculum, or any penalty for failing.

Maybe it is a culture problem where they see no problem with calling a 14 year old a whore when someone dares question them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Apthous posted:

It was the civil case that this article refers to, not the criminal one. He was still sentenced to three years in prison, but she didn't get any cash money for being raped.

i dunno an art teacher at the middle school i went to got ten years for a fully consensual relationship with a 13 year old boy which they carried on for several years. 3 years seems a little light

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Apthous posted:

Maybe if they didn't act like little indigent shits when someone dares question them and resort to name calling, politicians would be more willing to give them increased funding. Another case of winning the battle but losing the war.

Everyone acted like a loving retard in this situation: The lawyer, the school system, and judge for allowing that type of defense.

:psyduck: I'm not sure where this is even going anymore. First the school district are dicks because their lawyers brought up some facts that convinced the judge they weren't at fault, now all school districts are run by rear end holes and thats why they have funding issues.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ArbitraryC posted:

Well I controlled f and searched for whore and slut in the article and came up empty. Unless they're using old timey slurs like strumpet then I think at no point did the lawyers call a 14 year old girl a slut. Instead it seems like Apthous just made the connection between "she willingly pursued a sexual relationship" and "she's a slut" and then projected their view on everyone else.
It's a hidden insult and trying to paint the girl as not deserving of pity. Nobody except you is willing to pretend that this is not a common and well-known strategy to discredit rape victims.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Apthous posted:

Maybe it is a culture problem where they see no problem with calling a 14 year old a whore when someone dares question them.

most 14 year olds are taught to be whore's by schools, so i don;t get your point, they give 12 year olds condoms now and tell em it's okay to have sex.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, judges should just throw out any defense they find distasteful. Sounds like a win for our legal system.

Seriously, are you 13?

Here is how it works.

Defense: My client should be excused from murder charges because the victim is a friend of the family and niggers aren't people.
Prosecution: Objection
Judge: Sustained

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
^^^
haha, you are dumb. The guy wasn't let off the hook. He is in prison.

Apthous posted:

Please quote the whore part as it appears you are the only one saying it.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Apthous posted:

Here is how it works.

Defense: My client should be excused from murder charges because the victim is a friend of the family and niggers aren't people.
Prosecution: Objection
Judge: Sustained

that works if they are an immigrant from africa or a poor island nation.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Goons try way too hard to get outraged about teenage-adult sex to show how not-pedo they are.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Leon Einstein posted:

^^^
haha, you are dumb. The guy wasn't let off the hook. He is in prison.

The article refers to the civil case.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

LethalGeek posted:

Goons try way too hard to get outraged about teenage-adult sex to show how not-pedo they are.

for some reason they love muslims even though they are religious pedos HTH.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

smells like gbs 1.0 in here

im going to sue the op for making this gay rear end thread

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
this muslim mexican rapist did nothing wrong

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sexy young infidel posted:

this muslim mexican rapist did nothing wrong

yeah well, we're going to blame you for it

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Leon Einstein posted:

Not alway. 12 year olds are adults if they stab their friend.

Oh yeah, there's a little sub-switch next to the Moral Compass that says 'Murder Is Wrong' that God usually flips on your 12th birthday, but sometimes He forgets to use the full weight of His beatific finger.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

yeah well, we're going to blame you for it

white mans laws might lock me up, but the traditional blankets of my people are forever

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Apthous posted:

The article refers to the civil case.
Yes, I know. You have a childish view of the law.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
The difference between murder and sex is murder is simple, sex can be complicated. That is why a minor can be charged with murder and not able to consent to sex.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a hidden insult and trying to paint the girl as not deserving of pity. Nobody except you is willing to pretend that this is not a common and well-known strategy to discredit rape victims.
Yeah in cases where it was non-consensual courts often bring up sexual history in an attempt to prove the encounter might have been consensual and that's obviously an attempt to slut shame. In cases like this where it was statutory rape and everyone involve agreed to it (they just couldn't legally consent) it seems like an entirely fair thing to bring up in defense of the school. Because the student was pursuing it from their end and literally lied to their family to meet up with the teacher, there's very little the school could be seen as even negligent for. If on the other hand they had a teacher that just raped kids in the classroom or something, you could make the case that the school should have been more diligent in finding/preventing that sort of thing. That she helped make it more difficult to catch the teacher is an entirely valid point for the school's lawyers to make.

Saying that was a willing participant in the encounter when she was in fact a willing participant is not slut shaming and it's a huge stretch to read it like that.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Wait, did they actually bring up her promiscuity or just her consent to sex?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
what if she had a psychosexual hold over this poor math teacher and now he's the one paying the price

if you say it isnt possible then you're sexist

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ArbitraryC posted:

Saying that was a willing participant in the encounter when she was in fact a willing participant is not slut shaming and it's a huge stretch to read it like that.
It's not, because her willingness still doesn't matter at any point. The act is illegal, how anyone involved felt about it is immaterial. If the school knew about it or had suspicions and didn't do anything, they were covering for a rapist, because that's what the law says he is. Their defense is to "argue she bore some of the responsibility" because of her sexual history, as if responsibility was what mattered there, not that they had no way of knowing because she covered on her own end, too. That really says everything you need to know.

So yeah, it's not a stretch in the slightest.

Mercrom posted:

Wait, did they actually bring up her promiscuity or just her consent to sex?
They brought up her "sexual history," whatever that means.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
"academia" lol

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Novo posted:

"macademia" lol

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I think that attorney owns lol

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Apthous posted:

The difference between murder and sex is murder is simple, sex can be complicated. That is why a minor can be charged with murder and not able to consent to sex.

Lol u must be a murder virgin if u think murder is simple. It's actually very complicated, need to ensure no witnesses, have a good alibi, dispose of the body, etc

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
EDIT: super dumb question...

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 14, 2014

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

They're not arguing that the girl was a dirty dirty whore. The family is arguing trauma, and the defense is arguing that since the girl actively pursued the relationship, there was no trauma.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Business Octopus posted:

Lol u must be a murder virgin if u think murder is simple. It's actually very complicated, need to ensure no witnesses, have a good alibi, dispose of the body, etc

not in a ghetto no one cares unless the police are watching you do it.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

jiharlequinade posted:

They're not arguing that the girl was a dirty dirty whore. The family is arguing trauma, and the defense is arguing that since the girl actively pursued the relationship, there was no trauma.

Not quite, they are arguing that the school had nothing to do with her trauma and thus should not be libel for paying her for it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Soarer posted:

Not quite, they are arguing that the school had nothing to do with her trauma and thus should not be libel for paying her for it.

I am pretty sure they are also arguing that the OP has an almost infantile understanding of the legal system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Apthous posted:

That's not the reason. The reason is because adults don't manipulate children into murdering them.

Children can consent to sex if it involves children their own age. The point where consent actually becomes complicated is when the power dynamic is skewed.

• Locked thread