Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am now at the point where all of my meat is purchased by the whole or half animal from humane and sustainable local farms. If you don't do the same you are literally a garbage human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
back pages op.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I don't do that and I am not a garbage human being. Something is wrong with your words OP

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i split a cow with some coworkers from a CSA vendor

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Every year I buy a half hog a side of beef and two lamb during slaughter season. I then purchase poultry as needed. Using a chest freezer for storage is really easy and it is pretty economical. I am driving to pick up my pork this weekend.

I am spending 100 dollars on a pasture raised turkey for thanksgiving this year. I have personally inspected the farm that I am sourcing it from and have confirmed that they treat the animals humanely (no beak trimming etc.). It is worth the extra 85 dollars to ensure that I am not contributing to animal torture.

1gnoirents posted:

I don't do that and I am not a garbage human being. Something is wrong with your words OP
Sorry that you don't "get it".

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

your mom op, she/he gives it to me.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

your mom op, she/he gives it to me.

My mother's preferred pronoun is Jim.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The local butcher or supermarket, hope that helps, op.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
imo always buy local

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

It is worth the extra 85 dollars to ensure that I am not contributing to animal torture.

Do you use any type of medication? Perfume? Deodorant? Or have you personally inspected all the labs for those products before purchasing?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

jBrereton posted:

The local butcher or supermarket, hope that helps, op.

How does it feel to contribute to the wholesale torture of animals?

You could be a better human being by spending a little time researching humane local farms to support. I only had to spend around 8 hours total finding a good place to purchase my aforementioned turkey (this includes driving time for the visit as well as online research, a conversation by telephone with the proprietor, and the time for reading/writing email correspondence).

Barrista posted:

Do you use any type of medication?
Perfume?
Deodorant?
Or have you personally inspected all the labs for those products before purchasing?

Yes. Please find me a source for local, craft, humane medication and I will switch. It is about doing what can be done.
No. I have a dick. I do use craft, local made cologne though
Yes. I source my deodorant from someone who craft makes it in my area
No. I have been to the house of the person who makes the deodorant and cologne to ensure that everything is on the up and up.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Demonachizer posted:

How does it feel to contribute to the wholesale torture of animals?

You could be a better human being by spending a little time researching humane local farms to support. I only had to spend around 8 hours total finding a good place to purchase my aforementioned turkey (this includes driving time for the visit as well as online research, a conversation by telephone with the proprietor, and the time for reading/writing email correspondence).

can't tell if you are serious or not, but if an animal is going to die anyway who cares, in the end it's still dead, and it's death fed a human, unless they let it sit in the fridge too long then it died to get thrown in the trash. food animals aren't pets they exist just to die.

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
I like going to the butcher. It's totally an awesome time and get good quality meat. But I usually get it from the grocery store, OP. I live in an area fortunate enough to have HEB stores. And their meat is decent!

Butchers are awesome but in America they are going the way of arcades. Just nobody goes anymore so they all shut down.

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

Demonachizer posted:

I am driving to pick up my pork this weekend.

But op, pork isn't good for you so all of your efforts are worthless

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
the petshop

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Gimbal lock posted:

the petshop

chinese rat farmer spotted.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

PandaCookies posted:

I like going to the butcher. It's totally an awesome time and get good quality meat. But I usually get it from the grocery store, OP. I live in an area fortunate enough to have HEB stores. And their meat is decent!

Butchers are awesome but in America they are going the way of arcades. Just nobody goes anymore so they all shut down.

Butchers are just a middleman between you and a farmer. Best is to purchase directly from a farmer as you are supporting them and ensuring that they stay in business. My pork, lamb and beef come from a USDA slaughter facility (has to be done this way legally in the US). I have checked the two that I know my suppliers use and they are relatively low volume and have humane slaughtering practices. I have spoken with many of the workers there to ensure that the owners of the business pay them fairly and do not violate any safety protocols. Poultry doesn't have to be slaughtered as a USDA facility so this is done normally on the farm itself.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shoprite

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Publix, like a normal person.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

can't tell if you are serious or not, but if an animal is going to die anyway who cares, in the end it's still dead, and it's death fed a human, unless they let it sit in the fridge too long then it died to get thrown in the trash. food animals aren't pets they exist just to die.

Does it matter if a human being is abused since they will just die someday anyway? I am not sure I understand your argument.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Demonachizer posted:

Does it matter if a human being is abused since they will just die someday anyway? I am not sure I understand your argument.

human being aren't born to be slaughtered for food.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TOILETLORD posted:

maybe they should be...

...starting with all goons :twisted:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

What are human beings born for?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Shroomie posted:

Publix, like a normal person.

You should at the very least buy your meat from a non-poo poo store. Sorry that some of us have a palate.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Demonachizer posted:

What are human beings born for?

not touching why humans act like humans 101 again for a super autist.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
How much do you spend on meat annually? What region are you from?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

not touching why humans act like humans 101 again for a super autist.

I can assure you that I am not even the slightest autistic. I just happen to have a moral compass. Sorry that you don't?

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

How much do you spend on meat annually? What region are you from?

Half hog = around 500 dollars including slaughter/butcher/smoking/packaging
Side of beef = around 800 dollars including above but no smoking
lamb = around 160-180 each including above but no smoking
turkey = around 100 dollars per 16 - 18 lb bird
chicken = around 15 dollars per 4 lb bird

I probably get around 15 chickens per annum so total is about 2000 USD. I live in the metro Boston area.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Demonachizer posted:

I can assure you that I am not even the slightest autistic. I just happen to have a moral compass. Sorry that you don't?

you have misplaced empathy. bet you cry like a irrational 1960's woman.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Salvation Army

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

you have misplaced empathy. bet you cry like a irrational 1960's woman.

I find that while I do cry occasionally it is not during inappropriate moments. I think I am pretty well adjusted actually. :shrug:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Every once in awhile some random guy wanders into our office (Small office, no receptionist, we don't use the keycards because the owner got pissy with it one time and unplugged it) and asks if we want to buy meat. Out of a freezer in the back of his pickup truck.

How is this a business? Who the gently caress buys meat from a stranger out of their pickup truck?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Every once in awhile some random guy wanders into our office (Small office, no receptionist, we don't use the keycards because the owner got pissy with it one time and unplugged it) and asks if we want to buy meat. Out of a freezer in the back of his pickup truck.

How is this a business? Who the gently caress buys meat from a stranger out of their pickup truck?

I have heard about this but never seen it. I think it is more of a southern thing. Which kind of answers the question.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Three Olives posted:

I've had dudes like this go door to door in the neighborhood. Shady as gently caress.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I've had dudes like this go door to door in the neighborhood. Shady as gently caress.

me too but i couldn't say no to 5 dollar fillet mignon steaks. figured they just stole them was good meat.

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

Three Olives posted:

There was an episode of Lucy in which she buys a bunch of meat at a really cheap price. Pretty much in the same way, and then realized it's waaay too much and goes to sell it with a trench coat on. Pretty much like a drug dealer

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

SurfinArbiter posted:

There was an episode of Lucy in which she buys a bunch of meat at a really cheap price. Pretty much in the same way, and then realized it's waaay too much and goes to sell it with a trench coat on. Pretty much like a drug dealer

I Love Lucy Season 1 Episode 29. One of the best of the early era I Love Lucy episodes.

(just loving around I googled it)

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't buy meat because I'm a vegetarian op. Let me tell you about some of the evils of the meats industry, you see

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I hunt wild boars with a spear and a predator drone like that one goon.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I know a guy, he has meat. Mind your own beeswax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

poorlifedecision posted:

I don't buy meat because I'm a vegetarian op. Let me tell you about some of the evils of the meats industry, you see

I was vegetarian for 17 years (age 17 - 34). I think that my biggest gripe was with the "less than humane" treatment of animals throughout the life cycle and that I have pretty well addressed this through my choices.

• Locked thread