Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Safetyland posted:

• But what about the butcher you are now taking business away from?
  • What if the butcher was to do all of the research that you have done personally and the butcher's work could somehow be vetted by you? Does that make the meat any less acceptable?
  • When you purchase from the farmer directly, won't you get gouged in pricing as you aren't buying on a committed, maybe scheduled amount like a butcher would? Do you care? Are you perhaps buying from farmers who do not sell their animals to butchers?
  • Even if the farmer charged you and the butcher equally for the same product, don't you now have a lot of work to do in prepping the meat that the butcher would normally do for you, perhaps at discounted rates from time to time? How much is your time worth?

• Answer to this is sort of wrapped up in question 2
  • I would absolutely purchase from a butcher that did the work I have. I know of none that have in my area so I did it myself.
  • Farmers I buy from raise a very small number of animals per year (e.g. around 30 sheep from the woman I buy sheep from) and the pricing is much better than from a butcher already so I don't mind if I don't get a wholesale price. The people I buy from don't sell their meat to butchers and all the butchering is done to spec by the slaughterhouse. Smoking is done there as well if requested.
  • Meat is provided prepped already so not an issue though I do often request a whole ribeye as an example as I like to process them myself. I often process larger cuts into smaller myself since this allows me to take the leavings for pet food or other applications. As an example, I enjoy a dish called Khash which is made with beef feet from the coffin to the mid cannon. This is normally thrown away in the processing of an animal.

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

:allears:

Yes, let's all argue with a man named TOILETLORD.

Tbf I actually like TOILETLORD :shrug:

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

I do know that grass fed cows produce more CO2 than grain fed because grass makes them fart like crazy.

You've got it backwards, the grain is what irritates the digestive tracts of the cows, leading to increased greenhouse gas emissions. Also, methane, not CO2, is what cows produce.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Usually in the bathroom at work real late in the day.

Oh nevermind I read the thread title wrong

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Myron Baloney posted:

Usually in the bathroom at work real late in the day.

Oh nevermind I read the thread title wrong

Where do you buy your meat. Not your meals.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Safetyland posted:

Where do you buy your meat. Not your meals.

LISTEN MAN I MASTURBATE IN PUBLIC BATHROMMS OKAY DID YOU REALLY NEED ME TO COME OUT A ND SAY IT. I GUESS YOU DID.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I buy it from the local university's meat and dairy program.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

This is normally thrown away in the processing of an animal.[/list]

Where the hell did you hear this?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Pick posted:

Where the hell did you hear this?

Sorry you are right. It isn't often used for human foodstuffs. They do use it for animal feed and gelatin and poo poo like that.

At least this is what I was told by a slaughterhouse.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
lol if you fuckin pay for meat

just grab a claw hammer and a small amount of cat food (like half a handful of the dry stuff). leave the food on the corner of a residential building and wait on the other side.

• Locked thread