Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which NBA team could UK probably beat?
This poll is closed.
Lakers 7 10.14%
Sixers 11 15.94%
Nuggets 1 1.45%
None of them, this is the stupidest ESPN meme ever 50 72.46%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
To be fair, I've heard of Elon, as opposed to Grand Canyon University or whatever the name was of the school UK smacked around their first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Please don't bring cupcake chat here. It's a safe place.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Teams can schedule and beat up whoever, my only caveat being that they can't let up, must beat them by 50, and laugh at them as they leave the arena.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Probably Magic posted:

Teams can schedule and beat up whoever, my only caveat being that they can't let up, must beat them by 50, and laugh at them as they leave the arena.

How's that working out for you?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Peanut President posted:

Don't be hatin on The Phoenix.
I will quote my GDT post because it's my favorite thing about Elon (and also almost all of what I know about Elon):

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

vikingstrike posted:

Please don't bring cupcake chat here. It's a safe place.

*points to syracuses schedule, giggles*

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Basil Hayden posted:

I will quote my GDT post because it's my favorite thing about Elon (and also almost all of what I know about Elon):

Political Correctness has gone Too Far.

edit: Also as a fan of a cupcake team I'd like to say gently caress bcs schools.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
New Polls: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

pre:
AP Top 25
RK	TEAM	RECORD	PTS
1	Kentucky (62)	5-0	1,622
2	Arizona	3-0	1,493
2	Wisconsin (3)	4-0	1,493
4	Duke	5-0	1,473
5	North Carolina	3-0	1,315
6	Louisville	3-0	1,220
7	Texas	4-0	1,185
8	Virginia	4-0	1,166
9	Wichita St	3-0	1,120
10	Gonzaga	4-0	1,076
11	Kansas	1-1	982
12	Villanova	3-0	913
13	Iowa State	2-0	831
14	Virginia Commonwealth	3-0	761
15	San Diego St	3-0	735
16	Ohio State	3-0	557
17	Miami (FL)	5-0	524
18	Florida	2-1	467
19	Michigan	3-0	402
20	Michigan St	2-1	400
21	West Virginia	5-0	345
22	UCLA	4-0	177
23	Creighton	4-0	148
24	Connecticut	3-1	145
25	Arkansas	3-0	129

Others receiving votes: Oklahoma 109, Stanford 80, Providence 63, Utah 38, Minnesota 21, Northern Iowa 17, Rhode Island 16, Syracuse 15, Oklahoma St 14, Memphis 10, Georgetown 10, Baylor 7, Indiana 6, California 5, Nebraska 5, Illinois 5, Cincinnati 4, NC State 4, Wyoming 4, UTEP 3, Maryland 3, Dayton 3, BYU 2, Northeastern 1, Xavier 1

Dropped from rankings: Oklahoma 18, Nebraska 21, SMU 22, Syracuse 23, Utah 25
--
pre:
USA Today Coaches Poll
RK	TEAM	RECORD	PTS
1	Kentucky (29)	5-0	796
2	Duke	5-0	733
3	Wisconsin (2)	4-0	726
4	Arizona (1)	3-0	723
5	Louisville	3-0	622
6	North Carolina	3-0	617
7	Virginia	4-0	585
8	Gonzaga	4-0	558
9	Texas	4-0	541
10	Wichita St	3-0	491
11	Villanova	3-0	469
12	Kansas	1-1	458
13	Iowa State	2-0	378
14	Virginia Commonwealth	3-0	369
15	San Diego St	3-0	348
16	Florida	2-1	303
17	Ohio State	3-0	281
18	Michigan	3-0	265
19	Michigan St	2-1	238
20	Miami (FL)	5-0	160
21	Oklahoma	2-1	114
22	Connecticut	3-1	112
23	UCLA	4-0	93
24	West Virginia	5-0	81
25	Providence	5-0	47

Others receiving votes: Stanford 42, Arkansas 35, Utah 27, Syracuse 26, Georgetown 23, Notre Dame 20, Nebraska 17, Oregon 11, Baylor 10, Minnesota 9, Creighton 9, Oklahoma St 8, California 6, Northern Iowa 6, UTEP 5, Indiana 5, Colorado 4, Charlotte 4, Iowa 4, Louisiana Tech 3, Wyoming 3, Saint Mary's 3, George Washington 3, Rhode Island 2, Memphis 2, Kansas St 2, Illinois 1, SMU 1, LSU 1

Dropped from rankings: Nebraska 21, SMU 23, Syracuse 24, Iowa 25 

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Basil Hayden posted:

The funniest thing about being an Elon alum (and that) is that there are so many people who are furious that Elon couldn't keep that logo when we went D I. Except that the Fighting Christians mascot and nearly every other logo save that make it very clear that we were trying to get away with a palette swap of Notre Dame's logo for over a hundred years.

The true reasoning behind the Fighting Christians mascot was when they played Guilford (a Quaker school) and Elon students started fighting the Quaker fans in the stands and the lone newspaper writer mentioned "Well we got some fighting Christians out here in Greensboro."

The reasoning behind the Phoenix mascot doesn't have nearly as a fun backstory, except that the physical mascot looks like the Hokie's strung out cousin.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
AP 5, 6, 7, and 22 left on the OOC slate before conference play. Hell yes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

vikingstrike posted:

AP 5, 6, 7, and 22 left on the OOC slate before conference play. Hell yes.

If Kentucky finishes perfect in non-con, they should get a pass from having to play in the lovely SEC and just get free 1 seed.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
BYU/SDSU and Western Michigan/San Diego today. Big RPI day for the San Diego schools, although one of us will make the tournament and the other will surely make the CBI. Woot!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If Kentucky finishes perfect in non-con, they should get a pass from having to play in the lovely SEC and just get free 1 seed.

That'll deprive us of the single completely nonsensical loss against Mississippi State or LSU or whatever that they have every year (and, to be fair, every major power has).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

That'll deprive us of the single completely nonsensical loss against Mississippi State or LSU or whatever that they have every year (and, to be fair, every major power has).

Kansas just tends to do this in the tournament.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Probably Magic posted:

Let's not forget the lack of Sandstorm. Cannot Happen.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

Probably Magic posted:

The SEC outside of UK and Florida is really loving weird man.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
We'll get a good early season gut check on UGA when they play Gonzaga later this week. From what I've seen so far, they are ahead of where they were last year at this time and are trending to probably finish around where the media predicted in the preseason. I don't think UGA will beat Gonzaga, but they could certainly make it a game if Mann/Gaines/Thornton have solid games.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
I know UF is dealing with injuries and suspensions but man they look like crap this year

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Florida will not have the second-best record in the SEC this year, mark my words.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Kansas just tends to do this in the tournament.

:mad:

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

I think they will because the rest of the SEC sucks unless they play a big time game (per usual) and Florida is missing a bunch of dudes right now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

thompson posted:

BYU/SDSU and Western Michigan/San Diego today. Big RPI day for the San Diego schools, although one of us will make the tournament and the other will surely make the CBI. Woot!

First time we've played BYU since the Kawhi/Jimmer teams.

God I hate BYU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I wish Zay Taylor hadn't broken his wrist. :smith: Texas and Uconn will be competitive I'm sure, but Kentucky will most likely steamroll us without our point guard/one man fast break.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

First time we've played BYU since the Kawhi/Jimmer teams.

God I hate BYU

I don't like them either. Hawes is tough to deal with.

Usd beats western michigan. 3-1 Xavier is next. I'm still kind of shocked that we're in this wooden tournament. Didn't think we were good enough yet.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
lol Indiana

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

IU cannot play a lick of defense, it's almost impressive how bad it is.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
My worst fear is that IU will hire Brad Stevens and he will win a ton and I will end up defending The Butler Way and stall ball and maybe even liking it.

But for now all I can do is refuse to learn where EWU is actually located.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So, there's a good chance WVU could be a one or no loss team when we face hated Rival Iowa State to open Big XII home play. :getin:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So, there's a good chance WVU could be a one or no loss team when we face hated Rival Iowa State to open Big XII home play. :getin:

There's a pretty good chance ISU is undefeated come that game as well. Their biggest challenges are tonight against Maryland and at Iowa before conference play starts. ISU plays OSU at home before WVU as well. They should be favored in all of their games up to WVU.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Meltathon posted:

There's a pretty good chance ISU is undefeated come that game as well. Their biggest challenges are tonight against Maryland and at Iowa before conference play starts. ISU plays OSU at home before WVU as well. They should be favored in all of their games up to WVU.

We have LSU at home, NC State in the Gotham Classic and VT, but I don't see us losing more than one of those (NC State in MSG, probs), so it could be a match up of Top 15 teams.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fisticuffs posted:

My worst fear is that IU will hire Brad Stevens and he will win a ton and I will end up defending The Butler Way and stall ball and maybe even liking it.

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won victory over himself. He loved Big Brad."

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Michigan overcame a poor shooting night outside of the arc by going ham in the lane and getting to the line.

Didn't rebound well, but caused turnovers and played tight D.

Huh?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

That was uh not uh great

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rick Pitino on trying not to run up the score against Savannah State:

quote:

I tried everything. I played four white guys and an Egyptian.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I love Rick.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU withstood Haws making literally every three he took and survived a 92-87 double OT win, and will take on Pitt tonight.

My lord, death to BYU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm down.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Henchman of Santa posted:

So if UK blows the poo poo out of UL this year, does Pitino quit coaching.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

sbaldrick posted:

So if UK blows the poo poo out of UL this year, does Pitino quit coaching.

why would he quit coaching?

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I don't know how good they'll be in the grand scheme of things, but Arkansas is pretty fun to watch so far. Very interested to see how they react tonight, playing SMU on the road.

I'm a little bummed that we're only playing Kentucky once this year, at least regular season. I really wish that could consistently be a home-and-home every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't know why I like lovely basketball games so much, but I sure can't wait to go see IUPUI play Drake tonight.

• Locked thread