Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Agreed. Moved from Warsaw Indiana to Columbus Ohio, and the only thing I miss is the low cost of living.

Not that Columbus is breaking the bank, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Mange Mite posted:

This seems like the place to ask about this but what is with retards who say The Ohio state? I saw one of these guys at an inyerview once and god knows how he snuck in but it was weird how big a deal he made that seem

The official name of the school is The OSU. For whatever reason people get irrationally upset if you omit that one little word. I have no idea why this is so, it just is.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It's because people making 30k a year with a degree from Tri C need something to get uppity about so they chose Ohio State.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

logical phalluses posted:

indiana is like 10 times worse than ohio

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Halah posted:

The official name of the school is The OSU. For whatever reason people get irrationally upset if you omit that one little word. I have no idea why this is so, it just is.

because they are lead paint chip eating mongoloids.

also, behold the majesty of gary, indiana (best of all possible places in the world):

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 17, 2014

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I live in Michigan and the worst part of any road trip is driving through Ohio.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

also if you are a woman at THEEEEE ohio state university you will be raped.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

logical phalluses posted:

indiana is like 10 times worse than ohio

both suck

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

etalian posted:

I interviewed for a job at Cincinnati and spent the weekend there to see if was a lifestyle match, it was quite the eye opener.

I thought things like the Cleveland tourism video were just exaggerating the bad things about the state.

the sad part is that cleveland is pretty nice compared to the rest of the state

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Indiana is like the crappy Silent Hill version of Ohio.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

the sad part is that cleveland is pretty nice compared to the rest of the state

it least it has a train system unlike Cincinnati

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

etalian posted:

it least it has a train system unlike Cincinnati

the rapid sucks compared to the train system in any real city but it's pretty nice compared to riding the bus or being forced to drive everywhere which is what you get in the rest of ohio

it'd be slightly more usable if the west side had more than like 3 train stations but the west side is full of suburbanite assholes who are determined to keep that from changing so oh well I guess

Dangit Ronpaul fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 17, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Robbie Fowler posted:

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

As KSU alumni I can tell you that its nice to have 2 hours off during exams in May.

Also the spots where people died seem to mostly be in parking lots now so you have these weird sets of 4 lights covering a parking spot in memoriam.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Sylink posted:

Also the spots where people died seem to mostly be in parking lots now so you have these weird sets of 4 lights covering a parking spot in memoriam.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

the rapid sucks compared to the train system in any real city but it's pretty nice compared to riding the bus or being forced to drive everywhere which is what you get in the rest of ohio

it'd be slightly more usable if the west side had more than like 3 train stations but the west side is full of suburbanite assholes who are determined to keep that from changing so oh well I guess

It's was also the filming location for A Christmas Story.

I guess through the magic of the hollywood they made Cleveland seem like a nice town.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ohio only positive is it has same vowel to consonant ratio as Best State Iowa.

Hang in there Ohio, your malls will come back one day.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

etalian posted:

It's was also the filming location for A Christmas Story.

I guess through the magic of the hollywood they made Cleveland seem like a nice town.

quote:

Director Bob Clark stated in the film's DVD commentary that he and author Shepherd wished for the movie to be seen as "amorphously late 30s, early 40s". A specific year is never mentioned.

Depression-era Cleveland is a nicer place than Cleveland today.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Depression-era Cleveland is a nicer place than Cleveland today.

lol

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I work near the border of Ellet and Springfield. This has led to me be being threatened with stabbings multiple times when I refuse to sell meth-heads their pseudophedrine.

Summit County once had the most meth-related arrests for the whole country! Our junkies have got their labs down to the size where they can fit in backpacks and they frequently make meth in our parks!

Akron used to be called Crackron, but everyone is too high to think of a new meth-related name.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crack is so passe IMO

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008

Moai Ou posted:

I work near the border of Ellet and Springfield. This has led to me be being threatened with stabbings multiple times when I refuse to sell meth-heads their pseudophedrine.

Summit County once had the most meth-related arrests for the whole country! Our junkies have got their labs down to the size where they can fit in backpacks and they frequently make meth in our parks!

Akron used to be called Crackron, but everyone is too high to think of a new meth-related name.

In Springfield the house we rented was right across the street from a confirmed meth house/Craigslist prostitution 2-for-1 special. There were plenty of comings and goings from all sorts of people. Things came to a head one night when a rival of the gentleman who owned the fine establishment brought a bunch of friends by and pulled him out to the street, threw him against a van and literally beat him with a pipe.

Another time I woke up to one of the local junkies rummaging through my car. He stole the cigarette lighter and nothing else.

Our house was connected to an abandoned/boarded up house that was full of lead. One time we found a bunch of cats in our house that were not ours.

These things were taken into consideration when we did not renew the lease!!

BeepBoopBatman fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 17, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the most high tech thing happening in Ohio at any given time is a craigslist prostitution deal.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
tri c more like tri again

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

fyodor posted:

also, behold the majesty of gary, indiana (best of all possible places in the world):

When I drove through Indiana the people at a truck stop told me that if I had any problems in the next 30 miles or so to just keep driving if possible, because you don't want to end up in Gary at night. It was scary looking, even by the standards of a dilapidated rust-belt city, like some sinister FPS map. Gary just emanates evil.

OTOH Cleveland emits some kinda weird toxic gasses from its industrial center, so every time you cross the heart of the city on a daily commute you have to drive across a bridge through a fart gas zone and hope there's not a traffic jam there.

Rural Wisconsin is even more barren and dismal than Ohio and Indiana. Milwaukee smells like someone spilled beer on a stove burner, which isn't too bad and you get used to it pretty quickly, except the whole city smells that way. Milwaukee was the only place besides Cleveland where I have watched complete strangers exit their vehicles at a traffic light and commence fisticuffs over the Ford vs Chevy debate. That's pretty loving Midwest.

While not exactly Ohio, King Uszniewicz & His Uszniewicztones, an oldies band from the early 70s who played in Detroit-area bowling alleys for beer, are one of the most midwest loving things ever. This is pretty much the song of my people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CVNZBeKhUw

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Great, there's a quarter inch of snow in the ground in Cincinnati, can't wait to start my 2 hour commute into work today.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Great, there's a quarter inch of snow in the ground in Cincinnati, can't wait to start my 2 hour commute into work today.

look at this scrub who's not at work in Cincinnati already. You know these idiots can't drive!

-posted from my desk

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

P_T_S posted:

look at this scrub who's not at work in Cincinnati already. You know these idiots can't drive!

-posted from my desk

LOL it took me half the time it would have on a clear day. I think half the city called off.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Sylink posted:

As KSU alumni I can tell you that its nice to have 2 hours off during exams in May.

I brought one of my friends down during freshman year and about 1 hour into the acid trip he puked all over the memorial at like 4pm broad daylight.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Newark, Ohio

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Boinks posted:

LOL it took me half the time it would have on a clear day. I think half the city called off.

Route time with normal traffic: 18 minutes
Route time this morning: 65 minutes

i still made it on time because i know i commute with jackasses

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I've got one word of advice for any potential Ohio goers: Don't.

But Ohio has Cleveland and Bone Thugs N' Harmony so theres that.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
thinkin about taking a potential six figgy job in akron, worth it>??

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Libelous Slander posted:

Route time with normal traffic: 18 minutes
Route time this morning: 65 minutes

i still made it on time because i know i commute with jackasses

Route time with normal traffic: 50 minutes
Route time with no traffic: 35 minutes
Route time this morning: 35 minutes (on 71S, sorry if you take 75)
Route time when there's 3 drops of rain on everyone's windshield: 120 minutes

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Boinks posted:

Route time when there's 3 drops of rain on everyone's windshield: 120 minutes
this is ridiculously true. also, if there is a car on the side of the road but it is not an accident, we actually drive slower than if it was an accident because we want to see if it is, in fact, a cleverly disguised accident masquerading as a disabled/abandoned car.

i also commute with osu students which is terrible. when there aren't classes my drive is a million times better

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Columbus has that weird donut smell sometimes. There's a Kroger bakery factory somewhere downtown and sometimes the smell would reach all the way to the OSU campus.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Haha my best friend works there. I don't get the appeal of Longaberger, but maybe its because I'm not a 90 year old woman.

axolotl farmer posted:

Columbus has that weird donut smell sometimes. There's a Kroger bakery factory somewhere downtown and sometimes the smell would reach all the way to the OSU campus.

I think its the wonderbread factory downtown. Would explain why it smells more like a donut than bread.

Hows everyone enjoying the snow? I'm working from home today with my cats :3:

HAM ON THE BONE fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 17, 2014

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

between that, the budweiser plant, and the manure smell in spring, columbus truly is a land of olfactory contrasts

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I live ~2 miles from work. It took me longer to clean the snow off my car in the morning than drive to work.

I assume all the highways were horrible hellscapes since everyone in Northeast Ohio always forgets how to drive in the snow between winters.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

thinkin about taking a potential six figgy job in akron, worth it>??

I live near Akron, it's decent if you live in the right areas. Many of the nearby towns and such are nice places to live, but much of Akron proper is a really bad place to live.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Where's the good parts? I want to live next to other, upper-middle class whites. Places with police protection and good schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Where's the good parts? I want to live next to other, upper-middle class whites. Places with police protection and good schools.

are you able to afford moat installation?

• Locked thread