Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Actually no, you cannot.

The DRM specifically prevents any tampering with the exe, so say goodbye to the possibility of playing around with any fun and awesome trainers.

Except that isn't how Cheat Engine works at all? There are trainers for Lords of the Fallen and Fifa 15.

e: To be less of a dick: CE modifies values in memory, nothing to do with the dumb DRM.

TheCoon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there going to be an infinite money DLC?

Bioware has promised it will be bundled with the gently caress The Ghost DLC.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone know if you can still get a preview of the line your PC will say when you hover over a conversation choice?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TheCoon posted:

Except that isn't how Cheat Engine works at all? There are trainers for Lords of the Fallen and Fifa 15.

sweet

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Archimago posted:

Bioware has promised it will be bundled with the gently caress The Ghost DLC.

Who you gonna call?

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Halman posted:

Yeah its great. Chantry is totes on the ball RE: Mages.

#notallmages

Seriously tho we always have such a biased viewpoint because the protagonist of every game if they're a mage never has any trouble with demons. If you play a mage it should force you to have dream sequences where depending on your choices you get tempted by various types of demons and can get a game over if you fail to realize that you're dreaming or whatever. As it stands you're like "what's so hard about being a mage dudes? how come every single other mage is a psychopath and i'm totally fine and cool??"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cheesetriangles posted:

Who you gonna call?

Ghost(nut)busters!

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

HIJK posted:

there is some good in this world Mr Frodo!

I love this entire bar
I understand the complaints - when something is awesome (which Origins also was) you sort of expect something similar and the second game was, in many respects, the opposite. It was a smaller, more focused setting instead of an enormous world. You picked up the narrative in bits and pieces as you did quests, rather than doing quests that told the story. It was a story that only affected a hundred thousand or so people rather than the entire world, so the stakes seemed lower.

But Dragon Age 2 had gorgeous graphics. The characters were all interesting (not always pleasant or smart, mind you, but interesting), and I loved that they were definitely NOT all friends with each other. I loved the Home Base aspect where you could meet each character personally and hash it out with them. I also loved the specializations - being a Force Mage was loving bad rear end and had a move where you literally picked up dudes and smashed them against the pavement like an enormous monster baby. Or you could scatter them like ninepins. Or drag them kicking and screaming to the centre of a vortex.

I loved the Story Telling framework of it, gave it a kind of swashbuckling Princess Bride feel to it.

I thought the Mage/Templar dilemma was legitimately difficult - the presence of blood mages and abominations makes the Circle seem necessary, but Meredith proved that the Circle is only effective if the Templars give a poo poo about their mages, and religious fanatics who think magic is the devil are the worst people for the job.

And as sucky as people think Dragon Age 2 was, from what it sounds like, people who go into Inquisition after playing DA2 go in with poo poo-ton more context and background than those who didn't.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

swimming anime posted:

If you play a mage it should force you to have dream sequences where depending on your choices you get tempted by various types of demons and can get a game over if you fail to realize that you're dreaming or whatever.

Every game needs more QTEs.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Anyone know how the combat is looking to be? The initial videos I saw it looked pretty action-y but I've heard some mixed reports that it just gives the illusion of action and you just hold down an auto-attack button. I don't really care about RPG plots, but if it's fun I'm game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
You're all gonna look so silly when ghost Anders returns and you can gently caress him.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It is the god given right of every mage to look down and treat as inhuman filth any non mage. Sometimes you have to summon a few demons and have them slaughter millions to make an omelette. You would think no more crushing ants under your foot than you would of killing non mages so you can cast a spell.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Modern processors have specific instructions sets for encryption, it really costs nothing. Not sure about the DRM they are using, but the LotF is just coming from one video with no data to back it up on much computational power it is taking.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Space Bat posted:

Anyone know how the combat is looking to be? The initial videos I saw it looked pretty action-y but I've heard some mixed reports that it just gives the illusion of action and you just hold down an auto-attack button. I don't really care about RPG plots, but if it's fun I'm game.

Gameplay is really about what difficulty you're playing it.

If you play on easy, you can basically just play the game with your toes while reading the thread nonstop and win.

If you play on Normal, you might get hurt now and again, but you probably won't need to use the tactical camera or pause for the vast majority of encounters.

Hard and Nightmare are designed around making you stop and think about each fight.

The Bioware Twitch streams have, in my opinion, shown a pretty good sample of gameplay. Watch the ones where Laidlaw is playing to get a sense of what Hard mode is like for someone who pretty much knows what they're doing.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Lotish posted:

Gameplay is really about what difficulty you're playing it.

If you play on easy, you can basically just play the game with your toes while reading the thread nonstop and win.

If you play on Normal, you might get hurt now and again, but you probably won't need to use the tactical camera or pause for the vast majority of encounters.

Hard and Nightmare are designed around making you stop and think about each fight.

The Bioware Twitch streams have, in my opinion, shown a pretty good sample of gameplay. Watch the ones where Laidlaw is playing to get a sense of what Hard mode is like for someone who pretty much knows what they're doing.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I just wonder if it's going to fall into that weird zone DA2 did where it wanted to be more action-y but was still stuck in the DA:O tab targeted autoattack world.

Edit: I was looking through a couple of videos. Are there any that showcase melee? It seems both gameplay videos involved ranged fighters.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

swimming anime posted:

Seriously tho we always have such a biased viewpoint because the protagonist of every game if they're a mage never has any trouble with demons. If you play a mage it should force you to have dream sequences where depending on your choices you get tempted by various types of demons and can get a game over if you fail to realize that you're dreaming or whatever. As it stands you're like "what's so hard about being a mage dudes? how come every single other mage is a psychopath and i'm totally fine and cool??"

But it's... not that hard a thing to deal with? Abominations, generally, are rare. As are blood mages. The fluff calls out the fact that Chasind, Dalish, and all kinds of places all over the world get along fine and don't get abominations trying to kill everyone. A mage who is trained to resist demonic invasion is a veritable fortress against being taken over, even if that training isn't the chantry's (in some info, it's actually said that the Circle's teachings are so conservative that they actively get worse educations than non-circle mages, because the Chantry is afraid that if the Circle taught better the mages could rise up. This is why the Arcane Warrior, Rift Mage, etc specializations were all forgotten.)) There are even mages in some nations who are capable of contacting positive spirits, bartering deals with them, then purging their bodies of the spirit after using their power.

Literally the only time mages fall to abominations is when either A: Forced to by an outside influence (Uldred's mind control), B: They willingly accept the deal (Uldred going 'hey, yeah, I want your power').

Blood magic is also something that mages have to willingly go learn - but it's strong, and when the Templars are literally going into your room at night and raping you, then saying that if you don't be quiet about it they'll make sure you're stripped of all emotion then yeah, you'll go to it.

Being a mage isn't half as dangerous as the game makes it out to be. Mages, themselves, are incredibly dangerous, but just a bit of training and they're capable of handling most 'demonic' threats. Every Mage who has succeeded at their Harrowing has proven they can resist demons in the demon's home turf, and are not a danger unless they choose to be.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Space Bat posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I just wonder if it's going to fall into that weird zone DA2 did where it wanted to be more action-y but was still stuck in the DA:O tab targeted autoattack world.

Edit: I was looking through a couple of videos. Are there any that showcase melee? It seems both gameplay videos involved ranged fighters.

I think Cameron (thinner and shaven compared to Laidlaw, if you don't recognize him) has a video where he uses a dwarf warrior. He stands as a bit of contrast to Laidlaw as he's a player who bites off more than he can chew more regularly.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Blood magic is also something that mages have to willingly go learn - but it's strong, and when the Templars are literally going into your room at night and raping you, then saying that if you don't be quiet about it they'll make sure you're stripped of all emotion then yeah, you'll go to it.

Wait what when did Templars raping mages happen.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

swimming anime posted:

#notallmages

You mean like a vulnerability bar or something in combat - the more you use magic, the more weak you are towards demon suggestion? And if it gets low enough, you have to stop using magic or a demon takes over? That ... could be interesting... But maybe only on Nightmare level.

As for the existing games not having Magic Protagonists fight demons, I file it under Necessary Game Mechanics. Same as how if you're a mage in Dragon Age 2, you can swoop in and save Templars and Guardsmen with REALLY OBVIOUS MAGIC SPELLS or summon lightning right in front of a watching Templar and nobody figures out you're an apostate until the second half of the game. Where the gently caress did they think my LadyHawke's lightning bolts were coming from? Her wizard's sleeve?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Wait what when did Templars raping mages happen.

Strrrrongly implied during Ander's quest in Act 2 where you find a templar named Ser Alrik who likes to make mages into Tranquils so they'll "do whatever I say."

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Lotish posted:

Strrrrongly implied during Ander's quest in Act 2 where you find a templar named Ser Alrik who likes to make mages into Tranquils so they'll "do whatever I say."

Even more than implied- Alain one of the mages in the gallows will flat out say that Ser Alrik comes into his room at night and has threatened him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Missed that!

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Lotish posted:

I think Cameron (thinner and shaven compared to Laidlaw, if you don't recognize him) has a video where he uses a dwarf warrior. He stands as a bit of contrast to Laidlaw as he's a player who bites off more than he can chew more regularly.

Specifically this video http://www.twitch.tv/bioware/c/5405862

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Lotish posted:

I found it. He's playing a two handed warrior which I was interested in seeing. It looks alright so far, but I may just wait and see what my friends have to say about this one. Thanks for the help.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

But it's... not that hard a thing to deal with? Abominations, generally, are rare. As are blood mages. The fluff calls out the fact that Chasind, Dalish, and all kinds of places all over the world get along fine and don't get abominations trying to kill everyone. A mage who is trained to resist demonic invasion is a veritable fortress against being taken over, even if that training isn't the chantry's (in some info, it's actually said that the Circle's teachings are so conservative that they actively get worse educations than non-circle mages, because the Chantry is afraid that if the Circle taught better the mages could rise up. This is why the Arcane Warrior, Rift Mage, etc specializations were all forgotten.)) There are even mages in some nations who are capable of contacting positive spirits, bartering deals with them, then purging their bodies of the spirit after using their power.
EXACTLY! And if abominations were so freaking common and happened all the time, Tevinter would be a smoking crater in the ground by now, don't you think?

Nations like Tevinter - corrupt cesspools where mages make everyone suffer - make a good argument for the Circle, an institution which (in THEORY) is there to train mages to resist demons and develop magic to serve the nation as well as protect them from the superstitious public. But in practice it's putting the mages under the power of an institution that misunderstands, fears and hates them. It'd be like sending your kid to Hogwarts where Mr. Dursley is the Headmaster. A Circle works only as well as its Templars do. If you have Templars who understand magic, are personally invested in the safety of the mages, and listen to their concerns, then yeah, sure, the Circle is an awesome alternative to letting your kid accidentally summon a sex demon. But when 90% of your new Templar hires are Andrastian fundies, the Circle becomes a prison.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

HIJK posted:

Being the lone 360 player is my punishment for liking DA2 probably. We might as well resign ourselves to playing with the unwashed masses.

My sister and I both like DA2 and she's picking up a copy for 360. Can't guarantee I'll be able to play on that console often but you can add "nuancesof toast" if you like.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I've been trying to take my mind off the insufferable wait by listening to the smooth tones of Tom Petty.

It isn't helping.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

AnimeJune posted:

sure, the Circle is an awesome alternative to letting your kid accidentally summon a sex demon.

Most popular boy in school.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
From the OP:

"A rogue that uses a variety of potions and elixirs. Closest thing we'll get to a Dwarven Mage until Sandle makes his glorious return "

Hang on. No Sandal?

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

From the OP:

"A rogue that uses a variety of potions and elixirs. Closest thing we'll get to a Dwarven Mage until Sandle makes his glorious return "

Hang on. No Sandal?
"ENCHANTMENT? ENCHANTMENT!!!!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've seen no confirmation that Sandal is back, which is why I say that. :(

I'm most worried about the elven slave I hired to work in my house. She's not mentioned in the Keep. :ohdear: The poor girl will never survive on her own.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Can anybody link to videos showing a good sample of the various Inquisitor VAs? Somebody posted a clip with a male Qunari that had a lot of the American male VA a little while back, but I'm interested in hearing the others.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They probably torched Hawke's place after he was run out of town/inexplicably left town despite being named Viscount. No survivors.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

I've seen no confirmation that Sandal is back, which is why I say that. :(

I know nothing about whether he will be, but he will be. Half the game's set in Orlais. I imagine the Empress will feature. Sandal and Bodahn went off to work for her. It'd be weird if they didn't turn up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If the Elder One is Sandal I am going to bury my face in my hands and cry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CottonWolf posted:

I know nothing about whether he will be, but he will be. Half the game's set in Orlais. I imagine the Empress will feature. Sandal and Bodahn went off to work for her. It'd be weird if they didn't turn up.

The Empress will feature, considering you apparently have to decide who wins the Orlesian civil war and Empress Celene is one of the options.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That might be the best possible twist of all the possible twists they could pull. All the villain says from the moment of his reveal is 'Enchantment!' menacingly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CottonWolf posted:

That might be the best possible twist of all the possible twists they could pull. All the villain says from the moment of his reveal is 'Enchantment!' menacingly.

And then we have to fight the strongest being on Thedas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwa-mKETJW0

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

At his left hand stood the Champion, and at his right the Warden. For years he had been bidding his time, weaving enchantments over the greatest heroes of Thedas. Now the time had come, and nothing would be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Took the bait and pre-ordered on PSN, added my name to the list and sent out requests to the other PS4 people. Tuesday is going to be a loooong day at work.

• Locked thread