Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
:siren:NEWEST VID: 09: bad memory:siren:

What is this game?

Oddworld Abe's Exoddus came out for the Playstation and PC in November 1998, exactly a year after Abe's Oddysee's release date. It continues the story of Abe, who just saved 99 mudokons and destroyed the industrial meat facility, Rupture Farms. Right when Abe thinks he has a chance to rest, the shaman Big Face pats him on the back a little too hard. While unconscious, Abe gets a vision, Rupture Farms isn't the only place where mudokons need help, and not even the realm of the dead is at peace...

Who are you?

I'm Metroixer! I'm a huge fan of the oddworld games, to an unhealthy degree. I've LPed Abe's Oddysee and Munch's Oddysee, and am very excited about this. Abe's Exoddus is actually my favorite oddworld game in the series. It may not have the same gloomy atmosphere that AO had, but it makes up for it with its extensive world building. Throughout this LP, you'll hear me nerd out about a bunch of ton of fun facts about this game's universe that probably don't matter. Most of these facts come from the Oddworld Artbook.

What type of Let's Play is this?

This is a 100% run, meaning I'll be saving all the mudokons. When I did Abe's Oddysee, I fiddled around with the idea of a Kill All run, but it fizzled out quickly. This time around, I'm debating between streaming myself playing through the game live and killing all the mudokons, or having co-commentators with me during that run. Time will tell.

Do I need to know a lot about Oddworld to "get" this?

In the first video I explain the mechanics to anyone who may be unfamiliar with the Oddworld games, but by and large my commentary will be under the assumption that you've at least seen Abe's Oddysee. It's not necessary to play through all of Oddysee to get Exoddus (in fact, the game even has its own little prologue video for newcomers (linked below)). That being said, if you have the time I recommend either playing through Oddysee or watching an LP of it. It's a good game!! You won't regret it!!

Wow where are you getting all these cool concept art pics from?

http://oddworldlibrary.net/archives/togg/

Videos

00: Prologue
01: bad ghosts
02: bad friends
03: bad eyes
04: bad worms
05: bad honor
06: bad burger
07: bad dog
08: bad gas
09: bad memory

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

01: Bad Ghosts

quote:

Shadows cast across a cylinder create dynamic curves. Designers found early in production that cylinders in the background are a good contrast against the abundance of linear platform elements that Abe had to interact with. The temple inside of Necrum is an example of the practical need for dynamic lighting in all the backgrounds. It also serves, by its size and its detail, to remind us of sophistication and pride lost and forgotten by modern Mudokons.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

anilEhilated posted:

I heard some pretty intimidating things about the quality of the ports. Might want to look into that before deciding to get this thing.

For what it's worth, I've had the oddboxx since it came out... 4 years ago I think? The 2D games are the exact same as their PC-CDROM versions, and if you didn't grow up with them like I did then the controls take some getting used to. Munch's Oddysee is easily the most janky at this point, with weird UI issues and controls being more stiff than they should be. Stranger's Wrath, by contrast, has gotten the most touching up. I think at this point you can't even get the non-HD release on steam, and unless you're on some weird integrated graphics card (which was my case for a long time) then you should be fine playing it.

Crawfish posted:

To be honest, Necrum Mines is probably my favourite area of the current Oddworld line of games. I don't know quite what it is, whether its purely nostalgia from playing the demo a ton as a child or whether it's the sheer blue cavey atmosphere this place has, I always have time for a run through this place.

That's funny, cause Necrum Mines is probably my least favorite area in the game primarily because I played the demo SO MUCH. There are other things to not like as well, you'll see them in this new video.

02: bad friends

quote:

Flying sligs are the fast attack weapon of the Glukkon security forces. Their detailing is inspired by early armature attempts at flight and the need for their profile to read well on screen. Flying Sligs consider themselves to be the elite of the Slig forces - an attitude universal to hotshot pilots everywhere.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

03: bad eyes

quote:

Adding insult to injury, blinded Mudokons are forced to dig the bones from their own ancestral burial grounds. The Glukkons are so greedy that the Mudokons are forced to work without sight for fear that it would lower their productivity if they found out that they had been exploiting their own burial grounds. This concept was spurred from real world historical accounts of using native peopels, whether willfully or unwittingly, to undermine and destroy the record and culture of their way of life.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Kuno posted:

Where did the jungle come from?

Also I don't know of it is just me but the cutscenes are super quiet compared to your commentary and gameplay. Like so much so that I didn't hear anything that happened in the first few videos (I was watching in bed and it was to cold to get out from under the covers and change volume :downs:

The cutscenes, for some reason, are much lower than the gameplay. This makes it so that if I were to leave it alone then the gameplay would completely drown out my commentary. I could autoduck it, although I know there are people who don't like that either...

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

04: bad worms

quote:

Necrum is the vast burial ground for many Mudokons. It is an oasis in the desert surrouned and protected by a giant stone structure reminiscent of a sarcophagus. It served as sacred final resting place for Mudokons long before Glukkons and Sligs arrive to exploit its contents. As Necrum was desecrated by the Glukkons and the bones of Mudokon ancestors were stolen to create SoulStorm Brew, life itself was drained from the once thriving oasis. The air became arid and hot with the encroaching desert on its walls. All that remains is decayed, crumbling rock and the sparse wilted remnants of a once healthy jungle. Early design influences were Mayan architecture and some of the sructures from the Paris catacombs. Later rock spires, reminiscent of bone or worm eaten wood, were added.

I mentioned Mudombies in this video. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the concept art for them online. I might have to take a phone pic or something...

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

CatsPajamas posted:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this LP, and I hope you'll LP other Oddworld games as well!

Thank you! The only one I haven't done at this point would be Stranger's Wrath (haven't even played through all of New N' Tasty since I don't have a PS4). I'm undecided if I'll ever do it though, mainly because I just don't have access to the right tools to do so. Mainly a computer that can record HD at 60 fps with all the settings turned up.... I'll accept no alternative!

Here's a video.

05: bad honor

quote:

Areas indigenous to Scrabs and Paramites were established in Exoddus and known as the Mudomo and Mudanchee Vaults. These vaults are adjacent to Necrum. Originally created in Vykkers Labs to be the perfect Glukkon pet, Fleeches are cute as babies then turn into bloodthirsty monsters and are routinely flushed down toilets throughout Oddworld. Mudombies are Mudokon Spirits who cannot rest because their beloved burial grounds of Necrum are being strip-mined by the Glukkons In a nutshell, they are hulking, idiot, zombie Mudokons.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

06: bad burger

quote:

A hamburger (also called a beef burger, hamburger sandwich, burger or hamburg) is a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat, usually beef, placed inside a sliced bun. Hamburgers are often served with lettuce, bacon, tomato, onion, pickles, cheese and condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, and green chile.

Sorry, theres nothing really new in the game that constitutes concept art for this update :v:. In this update we finish the mudanchee vaults. It left a more sour taste in my mouth then I would like to admit. LPing games makes you realize things, I guess.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

SirSamVimes posted:

Also, in that mega backtracking room you made it take longer than it had to. You don't need to trap the scrab to get into the well, you can just outrun him which would have saved multiple trips.

...poo poo.

Since this update has a cutscene, I gave audioducking a shot. I tried not to make the difference in game volume to jarring when I don't talk. Tell me how it is!

07: bad dog

quote:

The three weirdos are mudokon spirits that call upon Abe to stop the Glukkons. They are already missing limbs due to the removal of their bones from Necrum. They are covered in Mudokon ceremonial paint and headdresses. The headdresses are symbolic of the wildlife that lives on Oddworld. Made from natural tulle fiber and river polished gems the Paramite, Scrab, and Fleech are all part of the ceremonial themes assigned to each one of the Weirdos.

Also, I was torn between using the weirdos image and the one below. I decided to use weirdos since it fits the info, but here's the other choice! This is one of the many posters used to advertise Abe's Exoddus as a feature film. Before the game was released, the cutscenes were played in theaters at select spots. Obviously, it didn't last long, but it resulted in some really cool design.

There are others, but most of them have character spoilers. Many of which will be revealed in the next update.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Hello. In this update we arrive at feeco depot, and see how things are at the industrialist side of life. Panicking glukkons! Newscaster sligs! Tourist tips! This has it all.

08: bad gas

quote:

We like to think of all machines and architecture as a portion of the character that builds them. The first question we ask ourselves is who built the object and what was their motivation The Glukkon mindset is that at any cost, his wealth and its effects are a tribute to himself. Glukkons possess a massive appetite for fuel and raw resources and their design reflects it. Their objects and environments, if at all possible, are always over-built and extravagant. They belch fumes and smoke and show no regard for the effects on the environment and its inhabitants.

Given the choice, a glukkon would always choose a giant oil-burning beast over something more efficient. Why? Because they can. The train and Feeco Depot are good examples of the production design philosophy that the object represents a character. Its piercing scowl, tethered by a smoke-belching abdomen, and its centipede leg-powered drive train all show attempts to add character to something that could have easily been a simple transportation solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Innovacious posted:

You mentioned the manual in episode 7. The PC manual at least is available from steam. It may contain spoilers though?.

Yep, this is what I was talking about! At this point in the LP, there's only one really spoilery thing in here, and I don't consider it a huge deal reference to the mudokon tear extractors. I leafed through this a lot before bedtimes.

09: bad memory

quote:

The Slig Barracks has never once been used in real military conflict, but has been built up by the cowardly and self-important General Dripik. The Barracks reflect his own need for power and have been built up for years in a haphazard way, temporary structure piled atop temporary structure.Everything has an over-the-top military feel - utilitarian, stripped down with no subtlety whatsoever. The visual "feel" for the Slig Barracks is a cross between a WWI trench encampment and the Berlin Wall. Sandbags, barbed wire, sharpened poles, Slig Lockers, tents, all can be found here in the barracks.

Updates should be back on a weekly basis. I'm mostly saying this just to hold myself to it.

• Locked thread