Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
The Ice has come. People have been muttering about it for Ages now. Thaumaturges and seers from across the globe in a variety of cultures have been talking about how the globe was entering a gradual phase of cooling, how increased shade and the effects of air elemental pollution would lead to buildup of icy blocks in the Gulf Stream... and other meaningless and uninteresting proclamations of dire doom. The northmen screamed the loudest, but they were always on about one end of the world or another and nobody paid much mind. A Convocation was held, and the Gods met, ate, drank, made merry, and made a pact which noone bothered to read or abide by but now the Ice has come. It's here faster than anyone could have known, it freezes so hard it burns, and it has managed to encircle the world in its grasp like an overweight and enthusiastic lover.

You are alive. You've managed to survive, but your citystate, your sacred grove, your people may not. The Ice has come, and it has no hesitation or mercy. Other Gods have fallen, victim to their hubris or one another. The Ice claims all, covers all.

Think it's been a while since we've had one of these, GOD GAME. If you're interested in joining the game use PDQ, create some type of magical deity-being with +8/-4 worth of ranks and tell me about why they haven't been brought low by the grim spectre of Global Cooling Fimbulwinter.

Just a note, if you're a God of Ice and Snow great! Temperature's just about right for you personally but there's the business of all that horrible overwhelming cold that seems to freeze solid the flesh of any being caught unawares by an Icestorm. It's cold enough that it might just happen to you if you wander out into the white without a good coat. Frost Giants? Also great! Hopefully they're not mostly dead from when their cities froze so fast they exploded. Because it's very cold. Get it? Very. Cold.

I can probably take 4-6 players and let's give it a couple weeks for a deadline. Call it 29 November GMT 7:00 PM for character entries. I am :siren:revising the deadline to Sunday 23 November 7:00 PM GMT for character entries. 12 November 7:00 PM GMT:siren:

Questions or suggestions here if you please, and good luck! Hope you've got warm socks.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ah also before I forget here's an example character for anybody who needs one.

Skoll, Lord of the Black Winter, Sorcerer of the Ice

quote:

+6 Black Wind Caller: Skoll commands the most dreadful and fearsome of the Northern Winds, where his voice rings madness, hoarfrost, and death follow.

+2 Ghost-faced Revenant: Unknown to Life, untouched by Death, Skoll is more than a mere mortal wizard and no less than a lesser God of the grave itself.

-4 Sunbane: Like all Walkers of the darksome wastes, Skoll's tender flesh and senses fear the touch of the sun.

The Gods of the North were ever a proud and vicious breed. Hard men, men forced to make hard decisions over the regular course of months of darkness and ice worship hard Gods. As the head of a mortal coven which trapped and slew one of the Northern Gods, Skoll inherited that unnamed divinity's puissance by virtue of eating its still beating heart. However instead of his apotheosis heralding a thousand years of eternal darkness as prophesied the Ice has simply come and made waste of the Northern kingdoms which Skoll called home. Having absorbed the souls of his tribe in a desperate bid to stay warm and mobile ahead to the encroaching Ice, Skoll wanders in search of those rare pockets of heat and warmth. Anything will do so long as it gives respite against the bleakness which drives fear into his own blackened heart.

:black101: Bit tongue in cheek but there you have it. :p If you're not familiar with PDQ or God Game mechanics just ask and I'll talk you through it.

:siren:Update for Nov. 2015

For an example of a character sheet (increase your character ranks to +12/-4) please see the above, also include answers to these questions:

To survive the Ice thus far all Gods have had to resort to the most basic and visceral of strategies, Who have you killed?/How are you hiding?

The Ice has made mortals (and their Gods) desperate and cruel, in what way have you been cheated or betrayed?

Due to the actions of the Gods currently occupying Malador's Hell, the state of the mortal soul has been changed. How has the Curse of Sloth effected your worshipers (if any)?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Rauri posted:

Larissa, the Queen of Undeath Vampire Queen

------
I'm not assuming undead will be any more protected from the winter than the other races, or anything like that.

Probably not given that most types of undead are non-heat generating and barely magically animated bundles of kindling. What advantages you have from not needing warmth are balanced out by the fact that you're just as freezer fragile so it evens out? Can you tell me some more about the region Thaisaidain is in? Like before it got blighted was it a Mesopotamian land of rivers deal? Trying to place it geographically.

HiKaizer posted:

So what's the catch if I play Dwarves or another underground dwelling race? I am assuming they too will be affected in some way?

It's warmer less cold underground and you'll probably be able to dig greedily and deep for access to geothermal energy to stay warm. In a broad sense I'd say underground races will be most impacted by the intrusion of surface races scurrying for cover and increased competition for one another as the Ice freezes over their holes and pushes its way down. Earthquakes, tectonic shift, and glaciers shearing through your roof might twists I throw as well though since the Ice Age is happening fast as opposed to incrementally.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

^^ Yep, pretty much.

http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

afaik it's free so this isn't :files: So here you have it. I'll probably apply a few house rules as we go but basic PDQ works just fine. If you're shaky on character creation take a crack at writing up your character's backstory and I'll give suggestions and commentary as appropriate.

Josef bugman posted:

Aesculus

A Portrait of Aesculus as Guardian of The Lost

This is an excellent entry, and a God of forge, home, and fire should make for a lot of fun in the setting. Your backstory mentions "the best fortress he had," got a name/place for it or do you want to leave that blank and I'll write it in to suit the circumstances? My guess is somewhere big, sturdy, and possibly equatorial with healthy stockpiles of necessary metals and supplies?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 18, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TheNabster posted:

Wallastra, Vox Populi

Thematically accurate, strong in worldbuilding details, keep in mind that your PDQ trait ranks come in even numbered denominations though. I'm guessing your sheet should look like:

quote:

+4 Many Candles
+2 Give me your tired
-2 Needs of the Many
-2 By any means

which I'm interpreting as +Cooperation, +Diversity, -Democracy, -Unethical respectively to be quite succinct. Your description is good enough that I can understand where you mean to go with the character and traits probably.

I think niche control isn't that big of a deal unless you guys want it to be, a handful of fire gods or city gods might make for an interesting story just as well as a widely diverse group of deities from every corner of the globe. I'm more interested in throwing glaciers and the like at you to play with than a specific list of preferred domains, and as such won't be weighing that much in my considerations.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Oh actually while I've got you here, how did Wallastra die the first time around? My reading of your backstory gives me the impression that he tried to hold out in the cities of his pantheon but gradually as they got snuffed by the Ice met the same end, after the bigger Gods had met a much more dramatic death trying to turn away or destroy the Ice when it appeared in the first place.

The population and city infrastructure took a dive, and caught in the feedback loop of disaster/triage/recovery as the God of both Wallastra 1.0 went out with a whisper as opposed to a bang?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Your math's a bit off there HiKaizer, looks like +12/-2 where it should be +8/-4. Might change the tone of your character quite a bit depending on how those ranks are reallocated so I'll wait on commenting there. Handy to see that you've written in a race to play with though. As Vendruck's the creator of the Dwarves he's got a sort of teleological relationship with them. Is he their only God? They don't really go anywhere else when they die apparently, but how monotheistic are they? I'm wondering if there are dwarves who worshiped other deities, Dwarven or otherwise, and how acceptable it is in their eyes (and Vendruck's) for a Dwarf to follow another God. Or for a non-dwarf to do the reverse.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

This sounds intriguing; color me interested. The two ideas I am toying around with currently are:
* a Trickster God (or maybe the Trickster God -- whether he's called Loki, or Bamapana, or Iktomi, or Anansi, or Eshu, or Crow, or... he seems to fill the same niche in most every culture's pantheon), or
* some kind of Nature Deity modeled on one of the supernatural entities from an aboriginal/first nation culture, like the Nargun or He-no.
Since I'm unclear on the plot or goals of the game (other than "try not to freeze to death"), I'm not sure whether one or the other of these is more appropriate, so I'd be happy to take any feedback.

Either would work out well I think depending on how you play it. Not freezing to death is the overall goal of the game, and my intention is to give you guys a sandbox to build each other up/tear each other down in while the stately process of glaciation happens in disastrously fast quicktime. My original hope was to have a variety of gods looking for different competing survival strategies, and right now as it stands it looks like one popular theme is to bunker down against the cold which is fine too. Hide in a cave, burn the other Gods for kindling, or steal back the sunshine, it's really more about how you want to deal with the Ice and I think a trickster or primal nature spirit would work.

In the case of the former dealing with other Gods is a must (not much room to trickster a glacier), and would probably trigger all sorts of diplomacy and conflict. This is good because conflict is the essence of drama. :artsy: For the latter such a God's success might represent a shifting of Mankind to a more simple survival success oriented atavism, which would be neat too. There are plenty of interesting difficulties or twists I can imagine for the survival or expansion of either character along the way.

Shogeton posted:

Malador the Prosecutor

Hi there Shogeton. Wishbringer is a wish mastering sort of power, is it then bound to having to satisfy a specific mortal request or is it just a small and broad omnipotence? I'm also quite curious about your God's Hell itself. For our purposes it'll probably be an actual piece of real estate, since the Heavenly bits froze over does that mean your Hell is a cold one? If it's the fire and brimstone variety there'll probably be a scene or two involving Mad Max mobs trying to break in to get out of the cold. You also mention devils. Are there a lot of those dudes? I'm assuming that like Malador they are in their own way quite lawful.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Shogeton posted:

As to Hell, I'm thinking we might go classic Dante. Caverns, fire, brimstone, sulfur, obsidian, brass and all those things. And yes, might make things... troublesome and interesting. Fortunately, there are defences, though those tend to be more focused on keeping things in then out. (some very powerful souls might be chained to be tormented in hell after all) The devils are indeed an orderly sort, kept in a strictly feudal structure. Going Prince, Duke, Marquis, Baron and Lord (and female term) of hell in descending order. The seven devil princes are each responsible for one of the classics: Wrath, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Pride, Sloth and Greed. Those seven lords (and ladies, though it's purely cosmetic) were made by Malador himself, and as hold as hell itself. These do not war amongst eachother, but they do compete in attempts to have their sin be the one that damns people the most (the system to determine that is, to be fair, byzantine). Souls are still exchanged as currency among the lords.

Oh so Malador's more like the lid keeping the horrible thing shut than anything else, and in fact Hell's one of those bigger on the inside spaces? I was thinking something along the lines that in a way all Heavens, Hells, Happy Fields of Food have their roots or connections to the Prime Material plane (the Earth) and as a reflection of that the physical presence of the ice has overwhelmed or destroyed many of those fragile dimensional bubbles by virtue of pouring way too much cold and ice through them than they were built to handle. Hell being bigger on the inside and already having its own layer of eternal ice (iirc Dante's lowest level is already pure cold torment) holds together better than most Underworlds but will inevitably either fill up or begin to crack under the metaphysical strain. It's big and under normal circumstances requires a steady flow of energy/souls to operate as part of a set with Heaven/the World, but as a standalone under pressure from the outside things might turn out poorly.

Pochoclo posted:

Isath, Pillar of Flesh, The Crawling Sun

Hi there Pochoclo! Am I correct in reading that the horrifying flesh tower survives by slowly crawling into regions with warmth and life and then subsequently consuming the same in order to maintain its own heat/generate the necessary energy to reinforce its internal structure? And that indeed while its victims have had their flesh repurposed and their lives consumed, it's entirely possible that the interior of the Tower is a moist mess of screaming without mouths?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Manly Men of the Manland Menmpire aside, you're aware that the Ice is a global event and that the three distinct biomes you've written are shortly (right now) in the process of becoming/have become a single Icy Desolation right? You've got a healthy empire made of three different narratives full of individualistic, rugged, and manly individuals but my first move will almost certainly be to kill a city with a glacier, freeze herds to death where they stand, and snow in at least one mountain range in a way that will probably divide your polity into three dwindling bits faster than you can spell "shrinkage."

Also you forgot the part about why/how the Lorax has managed to survive the Ice where a lot of the other Gods in general have not. Taken for a given that the Menmpire is among the last places to be overwhelmed by the Ice, could those events be related? If so, has the Lorax done any forward planning given the fact that the frosty writing has been on the wall for a while now?

OscarDiggs posted:

Piper, Father Of The Scurrying

This is a really interesting choice OscarDiggs. It's a God of Rats only without specifically Rats. My first question then is will Piper probably eventually have broad multi-racial/cultural appeal so long as the children of those peoples he encounters join the Scurrying? Also just to make very sure, Piper is a gigantic horrible rodent right? That has no problems with eating people on the regular, frozen or otherwise?

Yep, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page of fleshly monstrosity here. Great entry, please do carry on etc.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

Only half? If I get in I'd have lost 4/5ths of my people! Half is pretty light going for this Fimbulvinter as Puppies has described it.

And that's discounting the ones that have apparently been regressed into some sort of freaky Dwarf-rodent atavistic hybrid form and are now busy tunneling up away from the worse things in the dark!

But yeah if you want to write in that your point of origin as a Goldilocks climate/the last to feel the chill honestly that's fine. Just putting it on the table here in advance to avoid surprises about why the hell there are all these motherfucking snakes on this goddamn plane. :drat: You take that jam and you run with it as far as it's worth. (the place you're running to is an icy grave with Mad Max hordes popping up like herpes along the way)

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

So then the answer to my question about how the Lorax survived/whether he's been laying in nuts for the winter is... he didn't/probably won't? That's certainly A Strategy. :p

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Works just as well I suppose. If you look at pretty much everybody else's backstory it's been a bad week for Gods from places ranging from Everywhere Else to all the way down to Not From Here. Those other guys probably just froze to death violently/rapidly or ate each other because they suck.

On an unrelated note there's been a substantially more interest in this game than I expected. I'd really hate to blueball people who've been champing at the bit for two weeks or disappoint someone for the same, and in the interests of not having way more entries than I know what to do with I am :siren:revising the deadline to Sunday 23 November 7:00 PM GMT for character entries.:siren:

Anyone who misses the deadline or doesn't get picked is of course free to hang around and read along in the expectation that people will drop the game/wander off. This is SA so afaik it's pretty no harm, no foul that people disappear without warning or otherwise and need to be replaced.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

That's a very thoroughly written and informative entry. Having read through it I do have the following questions-

How did the Trickster survive the Ice? One theory for why so many of the Gods have been snuffed is that due to massive population die offs and the fact that pacts of nonaggression and assistance forced many to attempt standing against or repelling the Ice, which led to widespread pantheocide as they all lined up to try to chain push the Icewall and the wall won. Being the Trickster of a thousand faces, does that mean your God was called upon by all the Gods he at least casually knew from those disparate mythologies and did nothing? In the least it looks to me like you'd take the smart move of fleeing outright any time it looks too dangerous and pulled all the dirty tricks out of the bag in order to stay a step ahead. Running away is a perfectly valid survival strategy.

Could you rephrase Without Light, There Are No Shadows (-2)? I think I get what you're going for but as it is worded it might be a bit difficult to apply/use against you. Your other flaw is pretty easy to boil down and quantify as an X is weak against Y or avoids Z situations.

So then other than a tradeoff of rat-like resilience and willingness to eat flesh/garbage for intelligence, are the Scurrying really that different from their baseline origins? On the one hand, a rat-based survival strategy seems very effective because as smallish scavengers who cluster together for warmth and naturally dig burrows they're better predisposed to survive the Ice than most species, but on the other hand people-sized ratlings lose a lot of those advantages and have more complicated needs as their population scales upwards.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Wait seriously it wasn't? I need to reevaluate everything I was thinking about your character. I've been referring to it as "Evil Fleshlight" in my notes. :crossarms:

Anyway on to non-marital aid related business,

TychoBrahesNose posted:

As far as Without Light, There Are No Shadows, I envision at least a few specific circumstances where it would come into play, from which you can probably extrapolate many more: if he sits in one place doing not much of anything for an extended period of time; if he ever comes to rely too heavily on another creature, mortal or divine; or alternately, if he spends too much time away from all of the remnants of humanity or divinity -- with an appropriate cover story to allay suspicion, he'd have the moxie to hang out even with the Devils in Hell, and yet he's uncomfortable going down into the basement alone for too long. And obviously he can't sweet-talk a glacier at all, but in borderline cases where the sentience of those he's trying to fool is up for debate (say he is trying to finagle some den space with the Scurrying children of the Rat God, or trying to avoid being consumed by the Hunrgy Hungry Lighthouse) maybe he does benefit from his Trickster Spirit Quality, but it is tempered by Without Light, There Are No Shadows, since those sorts of beings are not his "usual" marks.

Well when you put it like that it's almost the case that your God is codependent with other deities to play off of isn't it? Thinking about it that way clears it up for me quite a bit and is amusing to boot.

Now for today's science fact! :science:

Due to the effects of glaciation, significant portions of the North American continent have evolved ecosystems without the presence of earthworms. The glaciers, not only having churned up the soil deeply enough to root out all life at multiple points in the past also created an environment of permafrost that killed everything straight down a ways into icy dead mush. The northern forests, having adapted to such a biome, are now under threat from the invasion of non-native (European) earthworm species which drastically disrupt the way that nutrients and water moves through the system and into the groundwater.

http://books.google.com/books?id=7m...glacier&f=false

Forging forward OscarDiggs, then basically the Scurrying are a standard mortal race with +2 Instinctive Animals/-2 Instinctive Animals traits which effectively balances out to 0. They don't necessarily breed any faster than their baseline counterparts (in fact several social animal species practice their own very effective and mostly instinct-based form of population/birth control in famine situations), are not necessarily stronger or tougher, and might have lost enough intelligence that at the present default state they barely count as sentient. They can talk (probably communicate more through nonverbally), work out or perform complex tasks if directed, but have much more of their brains rewired towards survival instincts than pretty much everything else?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

If we're talking in pluses and minuses, -2 Butchered Race was taken to reflect the broken nature of the Scurrying as they are now. I don't intend for them to stay that way for long, but at the moment they are little better then man-sized rats with opposable thumbs. If the various races are receiving positive and negative scores, should I change that weakness to keep the Scurrying balanced? I was thinking about changing a few bits anyway, is all.

Not unless you particularly want to. I'm reading -2 Butchered Race as a combination social modifier/sign that you're actually metaphysically tied to the wellbeing of your race. Like if Vendruck had +2 Dwarves/-2 Dwarves he'd passively shape the nature of the dwarves with his activities and vice versa, so a poison or meme specifically targeting Dwarves would prove particularly effective against him as well. Similarly concepts or behaviours foreign to Dwarves would also be subject to that Flaw, unless their character were to be fundamentally changed. As it stands your Flaw is a bit broader and imo more interesting than a straight racial modifier.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Brother Yak

I... I can't find a single thing to question or comment on regarding this God. It's like the platonic ideal of a yak, only without the spitting, horrible lanolin grease, and yak-stench. (which I am assuming he has in divine quantities)

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Coming down on that deadline, anybody who's got something out there in the works should post and anybody else who's got edits or questions to make ought to take a run at them or learn to hold their peace.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Brynjolf

So your primary worshiper base is comprised of addicts, criminal underlings, and people of a very specific lifestyle choice, that's easy to understand. But what do you actually get paid for distributing the White? Cash money lucre itself is increasingly worthless (in the absence of a God to make it otherwise anyway), and unless the Reykr are also branching out into the logistics of managing dwindling stockpiles of half frozen cabbages and sheep I'm wondering what it is exactly a Godcriminal tends to get paid in. Snippets of soul? Faustian bargains that get bigger and more complex until you own them wholesale?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

Angling for a last minute addition. Thirty Twenty-seven minutes to go. :toot:

ftfy, GOGOGO!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

Parelle - Goddess of Travel, Lady of the Hearth, Last of the Twelve

Fair enough to you, that was right on the dot. Looks really good too and I can't find anything that particularly needs comment or clarification on so really well done. Give me another 6-8 hours and we'll see how things fall out.

Recruitment is now closed! Anybody who didn't make it, hang around and read along for fun. It's quite likely that people will drop or wander off and I'll post in here again in search of replacements when that happens.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

They'd manage cabages and sheep if that was what was truly valuable in the world, sure. I mean, if you're trying to say there is nothing of value anywhere and no one trades then basically this world is already dead and we're just waiting for the Langoliers to come.

Until then, the Reykr will collect whatever is valuable. Hell, if we have to, we'll just press-gang people into the Reykr in exchange for access to White rations.

Well I was more wondering what sorts of things the Reykr are holding to be valuable, and if in fact they do have storehouses of cabbage/diversified holdings in slaves/etc. But an answer of "whatever is valuable" works as well.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

If it was a gang of giant cats I'd make a joke about catnip or lasagna, but criminal werewolves are another kettle of fish altogether. Now I should probably get to the very difficult part where I pick who gets to play and who doesn't:

Rauri - Larissa, the Queen of Undeath Vampire Queen PASS
Josef Bugman - Aesculus PASS
TheNabster - Wallastra, Vox Populi PASS
HiKaizer - Vendruck the Underlord PASS
Shogeton - Malador the Prosecutor PASS
Pochoclo - Isath, Pillar of Flesh, The Crawling Sun PASS
OscarDiggs - Piper, Father Of The Scurrying PASS
Deadmeat5150 - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather PASS
TychoBrahesNose - "Vicissitude" PASS
Speleothing - Brother Yak PASS
Rhjamiz - Brynjolf PASS
Ice Phisherman - Parelle - Goddess of Travel, Lady of the Hearth, Last of the Twelve PASS

Everybody wins! There's a lot of interest, effort, and very well thought out character concepts on the part of pretty much everyone here except for Rhjamiz. :P Every time I got about ready to cut somebody for good something else cropped up in an edit or new post and well I do expect at least three of you to die in short order once the game starts, but feel free to go ahead and prove me wrong. Expect the game OP within the next 6-8. I've got some House Rules to slap on top of PDQ which I'm still trying to figure out which if they prove to be too cumbersome I might just ignore.

If you didn't have a specific race or community to start I'm assuming generic fantasy human/whatever remnants praying to any God who can save them from the Ice works.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Well this is going to cluster gently caress quickly. Can't wait for the fecal matter to strike the rotating blades.

Gonna quote this for later. I'd give even odds you're the first to die, Mr. Lorax.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Game is thread, is up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683461

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Shogeton posted:

Also, just so I get this right, but even telepathic communication is something that requires resisting the cold?

If you're calling someone deep in the Ice, your call may be monitored for quality control purposes (or not always get through) because of uh... magnetic particles and quantum? Doesn't put you at risk unless you keep pushing it though.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Oh also somebody(probably HiKaizer) call high or low, I'm going to roll for Vendruck to see if the reason that the barbarians haven't teleported in to gang stomp him to death is because he was smart enough to set up a teleportation ward or if they're afraid of him because he's managed to kill a few already and nobody's stupid enough to chase a Dwarf straight into his hole.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Low all day you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCJjJJRHA48&t=83s

Turns out it was fear. Chasing a Dwarf into his hole is like diving in after a fox in his burrow. Conventional wisdom is to starve him, drown him, or dig him out on the careful. Also before I forget please do post/edit in your character sheets to your first posts.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Rauri posted:

I should've made things much clearer in my post - my intent was to send out small scouting patrols to pick a target, while everyone else got ready to move all at once, after a target was determined. Not to send out 50k+ minions. drat wraiths must've given Larissa's commanders bad instructions.

Ultimately irrelevant though now - looks like I have some problems to take care of in Thaisaidain first. Time for some proscription.

Agreed. Let's both blame the wraiths for misunderstanding your instructions and marching tens of thousands of minions to an icy permanent grave. :argh:

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Is Isath immobile for the next two posts I make? Can I shoot lasers from my fortified position / send glowing flesh drills down to find a lava cavern, or does that count as moving? Also did the storm show signs of sentience? Or do I have an idea of how long of a wait I would have?

Excellent questions all. You're only immobile if you want to be, it's just that the spell's effect of storm protection is dependent on immobility (i.e. not leaving the nice little spot you've dug for yourself). Tendrils, lesser bodies, or laser doom drills are all perfectly acceptable so long as Isath itself remains firmly rooted in place. You're free to act otherwise as you like. The storm showed no particular signs of sentience one way or the other, and your guess is as good as mine (random number generator) with regards to its duration.

You can try for something to determine the above for yourself if you'd like. Maybe grow a really big weathervane or try broadcasting pi into the storm?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Inbetween All Worlds [+2] plus Everything New Under the Sun [+2], and what the heck, 1 AP (bringing the total to +6) to listen to prayers from as far away as I can sense them, and to detect any important changes that have been wrought in the world of late. If I need to resist the Cold to accomplish this, does Parelle's gift fortify me against any adverse effects?

Parelle's gift fortifies you against a single (temporary) rank of cold damage as it is taken. So assuming the Ice tries to smash your magic godsenses for daring to reach out globally, the first rank of damage would be free. Hypothetically if you failed a roll terribly and it succeeded in dealing 5 ranks of damage (-10) you would be able to survive as your mind and soul were frozen straight through by only taking 4 ranks (-8), which would reduce you temporarily all the way down to +0 ranks.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

iirc death is the absence of any traits to throw, so unmodified <(-2) status is death. Am I misremembering? Might be.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

To clarify really quick Rauri, are you using 1 AP to bolster your roll to Attack or Defend? Those other dudes basically used their AP in combat to fluff their spell/support actions.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Should I just have Brother Yak shoe up wherever seems interesting?

Whichever way you want to go is fine, the random encounter table rolled no particular result for your character so I just threw a few rough leads in your direction. Maybe try a search or travel action like Parelle and the Trickster have been doing? You do also have the entire empty area to yourself, so maybe Brother Yak wants to cut back and relax for a while?

In other news, oh crap Shogeton your choice of place to stand is rapidly turning out to be a bad one. You should probably try knocking even harder.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

If "Wandering in the Wild" is all one place, Brother Yak is probably closest to Parelle & V.

It's just a place marker but sure!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

Puppies, when you mentioned a kingdom of man and an empire of man, was that the same place? I'm thinking of heading there next (as it is full of suffering and dying people) but I just want to be sure.

Turns out there was an entirely different gang of dudes using a similar brand name that nobody had discovered yet. The Lorax rules the Empire, and his dudes are dying right quick as well at the moment. There are however plenty of people leftover in the area that could do with your help too. Your happy feet have already found a bunch prior to Vissicitude brain freezing himself.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TheNabster posted:

I picked "The Needs of the Many" because it was a quote from that one movie I never watched and it amused me to do so.

But now I am thinking it doesn't quite properly and concisely explain the concept of 'I am almost physically incapable of influencing something on a smaller, personal level'.

Should I change it?

I thought you were quoting that Star Trek dude, but yeah it's still early enough in the game that we can just hand wave it away. Or if you want to make it a plot-related change we can do that too.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Puppies are dicks posted:

which I'm interpreting as +Cooperation, +Diversity, -Democracy, -Unethical respectively to be quite succinct. Your description is good enough that I can understand where you mean to go with the character and traits probably.

I refer you to my original post re: how I'm interpreting your character's traits.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

If I want to collapse the ground under the barbarian army and kill and or injure a whole bunch is this an attack action or something else? I plan to use dwarven sappers to detonate and collapse the ground from tunnels beneath.

Call it an area effect spell resisted by the terrain strength/trait(probably nil), possibly assisted by the fact that it's your terrain or something. The enemy army/Gods present could then try to resist the effect (Arthak has 4 lesser Gods with him) or you could make it a divinely empowered attack spell that attacks them all at once directly. Could be either of those or something else so long as it makes sense. Drawing in the native Dwarves or any advantages you might get for fighting on/from Batjullik would work too.

If it comes to a fight, NPC mob armies rolling off against each other or any area effect/terrain emplacements in the background is how I'm going to handle things in unGod battles.

Oh actually that also reminds me, since Arthak is known to you of old how known is he exactly? Do you know his Traits/Flaws? Because it's fine if you've that level of familiarity, but then it might not be off for him to have the same knowledge of yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Not that I'm opposed to how things just went down with V, but the outcome of my listening seems at odds with this statement of yours earlier. Is my power somehow different from the passive telepathy that Shogeton was referring to, and that supposedly shouldn't be risky? Or should I really not have expected such a damaging outcome from the use of my power? In other words, did something or someone (the Old One?) directly attack me?

The short answer is Yes. It was an unexpected outcome due to a combination of factors, not least a statistically unlikely bad roll. Shogeton's reference I believe was to non-invasive Godchats which normally do not involve the use of domains, AP, nor carry any real risk unless someone specifically sets up an action/magical field/whatever to intercept or damage participants. For our purposes the Ice is a hindering/dangerous persistent environmental hazard wherever it is encountered, whether directly through travel or random attacks or accidentally through the result of a poor roll. Actions opposing the Ice or being opposed by the Ice run the risk of the Ice dealing you temporary Cold damage in the same way the Ice risks you dealing temporary Thaw damage ala combat rules when you win. Personally I'm waiting for Brother Yak to rear back and kick a snowstorm so hard in the crotch it decides to curl up and stay indoors for a few days.

It is also possible that someone was watching and shoved an Icicle down your brain but that would mean all sorts of nasty implications wouldn't it?

• Locked thread