Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Posting interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus

A Portrait of Aesculus as Guardian of The Lost

quote:

[+4]- Master of Metal Working Aesculus was the first amongst the southern Pantheon to develop the process of Metal and Stone working, his mastery of the flint knife, the obsidian blade and the iron sword are legendary. But he also made many fine items for the gods of his pantheon. Now starved of the resources he needs Aesculus moves through the world ahead of the storm trying to build something anything that will slow the advancing winter.

[+2]- Defender of the Home Aesculus was left at home when his friends and lords in the Pantheon went to speak about the great winter, as he always was. His role, his reason for being is to defend and to protect. It was to him that Mercenaries prayed too in order to survive one more day, it was to him that those who had to hold bridges built shrines. Let the glorious ones grab the prizes, they will only have somewhere to come back to because of Aesculus and those who follow him.

[+2]- Wielder of Fire Aesculus is said to have taken Fire when the Sun was young and did not know how to use it's power responsibly. There are legends of him stealing it to heat the house of his God during the first night time. Whatever the truth Aesculus is very able to manipulate and use fire, no matter how useless it now appears against the coming Ice Age.

[-4]- Does not Run Aesculus has only run once and that was when the heart was frozen inside the chest of Hal-Shammar at the death of the Pantheon. And only then because he had been told to flee if His Father died defending them all. He hates this stain on his honour and will do anything to either expunge it, or to prevent anything like it from happening again.

The people of the South were reverent of a great many gods, creatures of wealth, learning, royalty. All of these things were worshiped and praised. Cathedrals stood alongside Pagodas and Stupas built into the hills. There were problems, but the nobilies selection by examination as well as birth, the strength and dedication of the knightly monastic orders (alongside the more esoteric studies of the various mage guilds) made it a true heartland for all those who wished to be at ease and to contemplate.

That is not to say there were no conflicts, ancient battles were fought against the Dragon dwelling in Deep waters and Religious arguements sometimes lead to political instability, but it was always expected that things would always work out in the end.

And then the Father god had his heart frozen in his chest and his body obliterated by ice. The 100 Sons of Sheng-sha died frozen in place, the golden branches of Maltharis shattered like glass. And the street of a thousand temples began a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would put the ancients to shame.

Aesculus saw the death of His father and was told to run to the best fortress he had, and he has done so, the people are frightened, the winter has come and all of the future seems to be death. But Aesculus will forge something new, something better he will outlast or beat this winter and he will show his myriad brothers and sisters that he deserved his place at Father side.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Puppies are dicks posted:

This is an excellent entry, and a God of forge, home, and fire should make for a lot of fun in the setting. Your backstory mentions "the best fortress he had," got a name/place for it or do you want to leave that blank and I'll write it in to suit the circumstances? My guess is somewhere big, sturdy, and possibly equatorial with healthy stockpiles of necessary metals and supplies?

I made the post just before going to bed, but I had a specific place in mind, I just need to find the picture.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Long ago Aesculus spent many centuries amongst the various peoples of the vast Southern Empire and he gathered those who worshipped him together and made them swear that they would do their utmost in defence of the realm. To do this he would require a place to defend as many people as possible and so the Keep and city of Ascalon was born, the city itself is built to withstand sieges, water and air dragon attacks and even betrayal from within (despite the many terrible oaths sworn by the first people).

The fortress has broken the backs of three cult attacks, 7 dragons and 18 different demon incursions. It is said that at least one mercenary company saw the state of the defences and simply declared the contract void. When asked why they said that they had been "Paid to take a city, not a mountain".

But now there is a panic and Aesculus needs to bring his people back to him as much as possible. Many labour still in the forges even as the winds get colder, but there are more and more refugees, more and more mouths to feed that even the vast stores beneath the city may not be able to feed them for their 1000 years worth of food allowances. But if there is anything to do Aesculus will do it to save his city, his people and his fathers laws.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

My own people believe that Aesculus had the secrets of stone masonry stolen from him by dwarves, the dwarves hold that it was visa versa and Aesculus himself? Well he is keep quiet on the issue, but suffice it to say that the dwarves methods differs from his own, and at the moment he has more important things to worry about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hey, I am using simple names!

Also I do hope nobody minds me being a bit taciturn, my guy is supposed to be a very "action orientated" person, so he is not going to be talking too much.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Are you ignoring the still actually functioning state that isn't made up of hybrid rat creatures? I'm even building a gigantic whimsy dome in order to help everything work better!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Not a problem at the moment, also please do not infect my people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Will be posting soon, been having a crappy couple of days!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

I wasn't actually trying to make an artifact or do any sort of action really. I just wanted to convalesce in the glow of victory and get a neat trophy to show off my victory, or maybe hand over to Josef as proof that the Six Horned Bastard had been dealt with. But I guess I can do both either way since it doesn't actually do anything; Item Get! :toot:.

Thank you rat based friend!

If you need anything made, do send me an ask, I am trying to ensure I can keep as many people as possible alive, but as I do not know how likely the next big blow out is to hit us (or I do and it is quite far away) I am just building up supplies for crunch time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so as a quick question, should I note down that I have 20/16 AP or should I only go up to a maximum and/or can I use AP to upgrade my stats? If so how many? And as a final bit can I create some more cool stuff, or am I overloading on stuff?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So how much would adding [+2] to anything cost? Is it only possible through in game actions or can AP be used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sorry, what I meant was as in a permanent +2 buff to one of my skills like Forging or Fire.

• Locked thread