Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, Famitsu reviews are a panel of 4 people rating on a scale from 6-10 based mostly on how much the publisher paid for ads that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The concept of the curse is actually pretty neat imo. What better curse to cripple a fighter than to gently caress with their equilibrium? But that actually execution is pretty garbage.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I can't even tell if the curse is specifically meant to knock people off balance or if the translation is just that lovely.

This game seems like the lovely handheld port of a console game. That, or an experiment to combine every single poor design decision you can make in a JRPG into some kind of vessel for the genre's sins. It will be sealed on a forbidden planet and pop out 1000 years later to kill Denise Crosby.

Onmi posted:

And as must be repeated

It. Gets. Worse.

Worse? How could it get any worse?! Take a look around you, Omni- we're at the threshold of hell!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kavak posted:

Worse? How could it get any worse?! Take a look around you, Omni- we're at the threshold of hell!

I'm gonna takes some guesses.

-permanent stat reducing enemies
-enemies that steal most or all your gold
-dungeons where they steal all your equipment, like you are thrown in jail. However you only get some/none of the equipment back
-1 or more characters leave after a really difficult boss fight so you don't have any time to remove their equipment. Then come back when you are much stronger but they will not have gained any strength.
-1 or more characters turn out to be evil and become a boss and take all their equipment with them.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This game is going to have unwinnable states, isn't it? This many lovely systems piled up, there's going to be a point where you're stranded with no way to beat enemies for gold to get equipment back. Usually games have safeguards against this sort of thing, but I'm not seeing any here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I guess if you get in so bad a position where you've levelled up too much, have no cash left and have had all your (good) equipment broken you could still sell whatever crap you have and then run those fetch quests that only require really cheap buyable items? It's not a particularly great safeguard but that's the only way I can think of it not being possible, at least.

its still functionally unwinnable because that sounds incredibly loving boring and unfun so i wouldnt blame anyone for not doing it but at least its something

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I thought it was my phone, so I turned on my computer again. Please tell me this takes ages because you made an error in the gif. :(

And why does it seem like Gabe is holding a knife? Speaking of Gabe...

camel pimp posted:

You..?!
Hey, Gabe! What're you saying?!
Did you misspell Gaby or was it the game. It's impossible to tell! :psyduck:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
At some point while reading the last two updates I noticed I was groaning in pain. GodDAAAAAMN this game is bad. It's not quite the intolerable suffering of some of the abortive, putrescent abominations the fangames thread has graced the subforum with, vomiting them up like unwanted children from some otherworldly affront to reason, but this is easily one of the worst RPG's that was sold at retail that I've ever seen.

It's not that the game is unplayable, per se; it impressively manages to stop just shy of stepping off into the void and no longer being a videogame, instead becoming an enhanced interrogation tool. What it is is inexcusably lazy. The design is batshit terrible. The gameplay is lazy. The translation is lazy. The original dialogue was probably lazy too.

On top of that, they appear to have thrown in every terrible idea they could possibly scrape from other failed games of the genre, and came up with some new ones on top of it. All of this was probably done in the name of originality, so I have to give the game some credit, it is terrible in a wholly original way that would not have expected could be conceivably possible more than thirty years after the concept of a 'videogame' had graced the public imagination. It is transcendentally stupid. Rather than disguise timesinks for the player (which many portable games and RPG's and big-name titles are guilty of, all three), the game seems to REVEL in them, as if saying, 'HEY LOOK STUPID! Slow down, we've got to pad out game time and you're going to love it! Aren't you having fun?' The dialogue, the running-for-HP mechanic, the battle system, the terrible balance, the idea of enemies arbitrarily and permanently breaking equipment and stealing items, none of these things contributes to challenge, player choice, or having a fun game that flows well. These are intentional, obvious, almost spiteful attempts to drag out what was clearly thirty-five minutes of boring game design into a tortuous multi-hour long debacle.

A human being with creative impulse could not, in good conscience, look over this cavalcade, this veritable waterfall of cascading terrible decisions, and decide 'yep, it's time to unleash this on the world!' I'm forced to conclude then that either the oversight for this project was heartless, soulless, and inhuman, or that, alternatively, there was no such oversight at all, and the game was farmed out to multiple small teams, none of them allowed to see the progress of the other teams, lest they be blasted by the terrible might of how incredibly tedious the agglomerated whole would be. That would seem to at least fit with Ubisoft's production process as of recent years.

oh my GOD how is it so BAD

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So here's a question - you mentioned that enemies scale based on the main character's level. Is it possible to kill off the main character and then grind out the side characters so that they get to a high level and start being more useful?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

At some point while reading the last two updates I noticed I was groaning in pain. GodDAAAAAMN this game is bad. It's not quite the intolerable suffering of some of the abortive, putrescent abominations the fangames thread has graced the subforum with, vomiting them up like unwanted children from some otherworldly affront to reason, but this is easily one of the worst RPG's that was sold at retail that I've ever seen.

It's not that the game is unplayable, per se; it impressively manages to stop just shy of stepping off into the void and no longer being a videogame, instead becoming an enhanced interrogation tool. What it is is inexcusably lazy. The design is batshit terrible. The gameplay is lazy. The translation is lazy. The original dialogue was probably lazy too.

On top of that, they appear to have thrown in every terrible idea they could possibly scrape from other failed games of the genre, and came up with some new ones on top of it. All of this was probably done in the name of originality, so I have to give the game some credit, it is terrible in a wholly original way that would not have expected could be conceivably possible more than thirty years after the concept of a 'videogame' had graced the public imagination. It is transcendentally stupid. Rather than disguise timesinks for the player (which many portable games and RPG's and big-name titles are guilty of, all three), the game seems to REVEL in them, as if saying, 'HEY LOOK STUPID! Slow down, we've got to pad out game time and you're going to love it! Aren't you having fun?' The dialogue, the running-for-HP mechanic, the battle system, the terrible balance, the idea of enemies arbitrarily and permanently breaking equipment and stealing items, none of these things contributes to challenge, player choice, or having a fun game that flows well. These are intentional, obvious, almost spiteful attempts to drag out what was clearly thirty-five minutes of boring game design into a tortuous multi-hour long debacle.

A human being with creative impulse could not, in good conscience, look over this cavalcade, this veritable waterfall of cascading terrible decisions, and decide 'yep, it's time to unleash this on the world!' I'm forced to conclude then that either the oversight for this project was heartless, soulless, and inhuman, or that, alternatively, there was no such oversight at all, and the game was farmed out to multiple small teams, none of them allowed to see the progress of the other teams, lest they be blasted by the terrible might of how incredibly tedious the agglomerated whole would be. That would seem to at least fit with Ubisoft's production process as of recent years.

'sup AM

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Darth TNT posted:

And why does it seem like Gabe is holding a knife? Speaking of Gabe...

It's her hand, she's doing a martial-artsy Knife Hand pose for a second or so.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

So here's a question - you mentioned that enemies scale based on the main character's level. Is it possible to kill off the main character and then grind out the side characters so that they get to a high level and start being more useful?

The side characters will never be useful. :ssh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So the game is less "A martial artist and his pals", and more "A martial artist and some chaff?"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 22, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

closeted republican posted:

In theory, wouldn't they be useful if the main dude was still a level 1 schmuck while the other characters were max level? Sure, they're probably not as strong as the main dude would be at max level, but that has to count for something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can a main character be reduced in usefulness to the point where he is another side character? Should we start praying to Zophar to awaken 2,000 years early to reduce Lunar to ash before this game can go on?

Honestly, when I first heard of Dragon Song and that it was a prequel to Lunar, I was looking forward to it. Maybe it would revolve around the events leading up to the first game, showing the rise of the four heroes and what led up to Althena deciding to become human. Or maybe setting it on the Blue Star and showing Zophar and Althena's war that led to the destruction of Earth the Blue Star.

My point being that they had enough stuff from Silver Star and Eternal Blue that they could have easily made a good prequel, instead of "Fantasy racism and delivery boy antics" that we got.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't know if I can stand to read more of this. Good god what were they thinking with everything in this game? Camel Pimp, are you sure you can handle this?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Just curious, but do dead characters gain experience? If not, you know what to do..

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
At least you don't get a Game Over when the main character goes down, regardless of your allies.

Right?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Dirk the Average posted:

Technically, dead character don't get EXP after all, but-

Yeah. Even with Jian depowered, he's still the best character here. Intentionally gimping him really doesn't make things easier.

Denzine posted:

At least you don't get a Game Over when the main character goes down, regardless of your allies.

Right?

It's literally never come up, but probably not.

Darth TNT posted:

Did you misspell Gaby or was it the game. It's impossible to tell! :psyduck:

It's the game. Surprisingly, it's usually consistent that characters call her "Gabi" but... obviously not always.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 22, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What a silly curse. I bet it's not anything magic at all, the Beast King just hired a burly cat man to push him over whenever he tries to stand on his head.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

Really? After going all up and down White Knight Chronicles you're still incredulous when someone says that something lovely is about to get even shittier?

Have we forgotten so soon? :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
They seriously went with "Gronk and the Deuces"? Seriously?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kavak posted:

I can't even tell if the curse is specifically meant to knock people off balance or if the translation is just that lovely.

This game seems like the lovely handheld port of a console game. That, or an experiment to combine every single poor design decision you can make in a JRPG into some kind of vessel for the genre's sins. It will be sealed on a forbidden planet and pop out 1000 years later to kill Denise Crosby.

Kavak. I BEAT this game. It gets WORSE.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I had no idea a game could be so bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

They seriously went with "Gronk and the Deuces"? Seriously?
To be fair, it's not a bad name for a rock band.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Equipped equipment destruction?! Aaaaaaaaaaahhh

To be fair to the game though, Gronk is pretty terrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMmpDTss68

Shwqa posted:

I'm gonna takes some guesses.

-permanent stat reducing enemies
-enemies that steal most or all your gold
-dungeons where they steal all your equipment, like you are thrown in jail. However you only get some/none of the equipment back
-1 or more characters leave after a really difficult boss fight so you don't have any time to remove their equipment. Then come back when you are much stronger but they will not have gained any strength.
-1 or more characters turn out to be evil and become a boss and take all their equipment with them.

Throwing out my own guess:

-More than three playable characters but you can only switch them out by going to the first town and walking through Thief's Woods again. Both ways, natch.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 23, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Onmi posted:

Kavak. I BEAT this game. It gets WORSE.

Evidently my movie tastes aren't as universal as I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk74WprmZxY

But yeah, I believe you. If Nine Gear Crow is admitting there's a competitor to White Knight Chronicles, it's got to be a trainwreck.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shady Amish Terror posted:

:words:

It's almost like they had the Lunar IP laying around somehow and a team who wasn't going to be assigned to any project for like 3 months for some reason, and they said, "here do something with this, you have exactly 3 months and not one day more." Also nobody on the team had ever worked on an RPG before, and they had it "explained" to them by a single sperg at lunch one day who conveyed the most basic concepts of a classic JRPG with only partial success. No time for anything more than a first pass, no playtesting of any kind, no editors for the dialogue, kicked out the door and never spoken of again.

I'm not an insider, I'm just grasping for any possible explanation. Even with no budget and no time, anybody with any experience playing or making RPGs should have been able to put the kibosh on some of this poo poo.

I hope you have a strong support network, Camel Pimp, because I know I would not be in a good place mentally after a few hours of going through what you're describing.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Camel Pimp posted:

Heh, sorry about that! What happened to me, I wonder? Hey... Lucia! What's wrong with me?! My body... won't do what I tell it to! I can't perform any of my special skills! None of my techniques!

You mean... techniques like "sitting up?"

You were so busy making fun of this line you seemed to forget that standing on his head wasn't the only thing wrong with him after he was cursed. Gabryel is definitely an idiot though, talking as if from the point of view of Jian. YOU JUST MET THE GUY AND HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING SINCE BEING CURSED, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? I'd call that a bigger writing fuckup.

PoptartsNinja posted:

A wild Sandshrew attacked! It used rip-off, to no effect!
Really? The pokemon that looks like a painted animal? There are a lot of things to make fun of in this game and that's not one of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just realized, this is an early Nintendo DS game.

There might be awful, shoehorned in touch controls/minigames!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I can't remember any of the game but I think the shoehorned touch controls are just the bottom screen menu. It didn't have to be, but it's there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized, this is an early Nintendo DS game.

There might be awful, shoehorned in touch controls/minigames!

Oh god. :ohdear:

I'm honestly shocked there haven't been any yet, now that you mention it. I think the only way this game would make me hate it more is if instead of random battles, you were forced to play stages of Lost Magic in the dungeons.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You have touchscreen menus, and you can move using the touchscreen, but that's really it. You know, considering how they shoved all the dialogue onto the lower screen, the designers didn't seem to know what to do with a second screen.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 23, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So I just noticed something in the OP.

"From the original creators of Lunar: Silver Star"?

Please, please, please please please PLEASE tell me that is the most blatant lie ever. I don't know if I could go on, knowing that anyone on the original Lunar dev team would let themselves have anything to do with this monstrosity.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Bufuman posted:

So I just noticed something in the OP.

"From the original creators of Lunar: Silver Star"?

Please, please, please please please PLEASE tell me that is the most blatant lie ever. I don't know if I could go on, knowing that anyone on the original Lunar dev team would let themselves have anything to do with this monstrosity.

Skimming Lunar net, the executive producer Youichi Miyaji, and the character designer Toshiyuki Kubooka, seem to be the only creators that fit the bill. (I can tell you for a fact the original composer, Noriyuki Iwadare, didn't work on it.)

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Skimming Lunar net, the executive producer Youichi Miyaji, and the character designer Toshiyuki Kubooka, seem to be the only creators that fit the bill. (I can tell you for a fact the original composer, Noriyuki Iwadare, didn't work on it.)

Yeah, none of the folks behind the actual story, mechanics, or charm of the originals or remakes touched this pile of poo poo, and it shows.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cheez posted:

I can't remember any of the game but I think the shoehorned touch controls are just the bottom screen menu. It didn't have to be, but it's there.

Already addressed, if you breath too loudly you will run away from combat due to the mic picking it up.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
"I'm sorry, are you talking to me? What do you think this claw is for, bub? Trimming the verge?"
- Gabe, Lunar Dick poo poo

I think this is a Wolverine reference followed immediately by a Lord of the Rings reference. "A little late to be trimming the verge, don't you think?" is what Gandalf says to Sam when he catches him eavesdropping. Does the cat princess constantly spew references, or is this just a random occurrence?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You know what, I can respect that you don't believe that they made a curse where you can't stand on your head, and someone approved that. It's your prerogative to be flabbergasted. But I think you're setting your sights too low. For example, the fact that there are enough people in this world who rely on headstands in their day-to-day lives that the king can use it on a regular basis; often enough, in fact, that it's his signature technique. I am mogadored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This curse's pinpoint convenience is amazing. Imagine a Curse Preventing People with Six Fingers from Wearing Other People's Faces introduced into The Silence of the Lambs.

• Locked thread