Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
God being real is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
To be fair, in my experience lots of religious people have negative views of the irreligious that distort their perceptions as well.

I don't think that the impulse of an atheist to "convert" a Christian is meaningfully different from a Christian's attempt to convert an atheist, in other words.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
in heaven, everything is fine. you have got your good things, and I've got mine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

down with slavery posted:

He's right for calling people stupid that throw up critiques straight from junior high school.

Wait, what?

I disagree. The root of the problem is that many of the posters on this board have such a negative view of religion it distorts their ability to make a worthwhile critique

Its almost like there's not reason for them to have a negative view of most religions :allears:

drilldo squirt posted:

And there he goes again...

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

Well I can understand why it must seem like that, but please consider that the reliance on faith seems pretty robotic to those who don't have it.

[edit] I do agree with your point that using evidence from radio telescopes and deep-sea probes and core samples as a way of dissuading you (or anybody) from serious faith is, well, a little rude and probably pointless.

It misses the point.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

To be fair, in my experience lots of religious people have negative views of the irreligious that distort their perceptions as well.

I don't think that the impulse of an atheist to "convert" a Christian is meaningfully different from a Christian's attempt to convert an atheist, in other words.

It's super annoying.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

drilldo squirt posted:

It misses the point.

What misses what point? It would be much easier to carry on a discussion if you'd be a little bit more generous with the wording of your thoughts. I honestly have no idea what you mean by that post.

[edit] Similarly, what is super annoying? Atheists bugging Christians with fossils? I can imagine that's true; how do you think an atheist feels when a Jehovah's Witness rings the doorbell?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drilldo squirt posted:

It misses the point.

CommieGIR posted:

No, because you are suggesting that because I do not buy into your faith, I must be wrong while at the same time demanding me to accept your premise that god is real.

You present a non-testable condition and then expect me to accept your conclusions.

Your statement was:

"God is real. Deal with is DnD"

Okay. Define real, without faith.

He is real to you. That's fine, he is being defined by your faith. However, you are expecting other to accept him without the faith you hold.

Waiting on why we should buy this premise from you without your personal faith, and yet WE'RE the stupid ones.

drilldo squirt posted:

Robot!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Its almost like there's not reason for them to have a negative view of most religions :allears:

I don't know about most people but for you it's because you are very insecure in yourself and seeing other people as sheep helps.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Arguments created by the movie God is not Dead actually don't hold much water.

I want Michael Bay to direct the sequel. It would save everyone a lot of time coming up with ways to mock it.

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't know about most people but for you it's because you are very insecure in yourself and seeing other people as sheep helps.

And this is the part at which you overplayed your hand. Good job trolling the thread otherwise, though.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

CommieGIR posted:

There really isn't. The kneejerk atheist response to any religious discussion is annoying to anyone who's actually thought about faith and religion for more than two months. Like I said, I think religion gets a much worse rap from most western liberals than it deserves. Is there a societal institution you think has done better?

emfive posted:

Fair, but it doesn't make either of them any less stupid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drilldo squirt posted:

Did I call you a sheep? No. I asked you why you are calling us stupid for not accepting your premise without your personal faith.

Technogeek posted:

I want Michael Bay to direct the sequel. It would save everyone a lot of time coming up with ways to mock it.

EXPLOSIONS! God is real! EXPLOSIONS!

There really isn't. The kneejerk atheist response to any religious discussion is annoying to anyone who's actually thought about faith and religion for more than two months. Like I said, I think religion gets a much worse rap from most western liberals than it deserves. Is there a societal institution you think has done better?

I hear ISIS is actually a kind bunch of souls, the 100 years war was actually a big picnic, the Crusades were just Muslim and Christian get-togethers, and Israeli/Palestinian bickering is just a huge misunderstanding.

They obviously burned the Library of Alexandria because they ran out of firewood.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Did I call you a sheep? No. I asked you why you are calling us stupid for not accepting your premise without your personal faith.

EXPLOSIONS! God is real! EXPLOSIONS!

I'm calling you stupid for other reasons dude, read the thread please.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

CommieGIR posted:

I asked you why you are calling us stupid

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681766&userid=102030

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
We don't need evidence of weapons of mass destruction to take action. You can take it on faith that they have the w m ds, probably hidden beneath their turbans or burkas whatever they wear.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Yeah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"God is Real. Deal with it DnD" is still his opening salvo.

And we're stupid for not accepting it. Right.

Man, if only we had your FAITH :qq:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

Granted, we aren't really talking about developed or undeveloped jurisprudence but how it is formed in the first place. You can say as time as gone on this developed has "unraveled" but I believe in part it of an evolution of the process.

If we talking about Islam over all, Ottoman dominated Hanifism was quite stable and it took the state to fracture then the necessities of the Cold War to actually set the stage in this case.

That's the issue, isn't it? Organized religion which will survive on the mezzo-level without central state authority and be able to police its affairs with other faiths, while thriving and synergizing with developed political orders during times of state development, is hard to find in this world. In fact, there are very few that I can think of which do this. Hanifism collapsed with the collapse of centralized state authority and the exertion of foreign influence; foreign influence has a tendancy to always interact with a power vacuum, and has for all of recorded history. State authority waxes and wanes; the goal of religious institutional development must be to survive the periods of waning central authority while allowing adherants access to the necessary tools to continue jurisprudence and advance human development.

CommieGIR posted:

Okay, I'll give you that, I went overboard.

I think his point was more faith is a poor device for demanding obedience and belief by the state and in communities.

Faith is a poor device for obedience. Far better to maintain an organized practice of religion on the basis of iterative evidence adjudicated within mature legalistic frameworks than it is to maintain organized practice the basis of faith; faith necessitates enforcement by central state authority in order to survive.

Rodatose posted:

in heaven, everything is fine. you have got your good things, and I've got mine.

In the afterlife, the concepts of "yours" and "mine" do not apply; thus utopia can never be achieved on earth and all attempts at communism shall fail, for they attempt to merge the divine realm with the human.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 16, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I took the time to explain to you a few times why what you're doing is stupid. It was a joke post, obviously tongue in cheek, probably for the sole purpose of dragging idiots like you out of the wordwork.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Faith is a poor device for obedience. Far better to maintain an organized practice of religion on the basis of iterative evidence adjudicated within mature legalistic frameworks than it is to maintain organized practice the basis of faith; faith necessitates enforcement by central state authority in order to survive.

Well isn't that a nice way of saying "I was wrong, but let me redefine the word to make myself right"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Man, if only we had your FAITH :qq:

You're really stupid dude.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
What side would jesus christ take on the gamer gate issue

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

I took the time to explain to you a few times why what you're doing is stupid. It was a joke post, obviously tongue in cheek, probably for the sole purpose of dragging idiots like you out of the wordwork.

Well isn't that a nice way of saying "I was wrong, but let me redefine the word to make myself right"

I actually believe in submission to God.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Rodatose posted:

What side would jesus christ take on the gamer gate issue

All Jesus want's is ethics in video game journalism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drilldo squirt posted:

You're really stupid dude.

:allears: Tell me more.

Obviously, that's why he keeps repeating it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

D&D truly is the easiest forum to troll.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ThirdPartyView posted:

Shut the gently caress up dude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThirdPartyView posted:

Truly, I guess we all showed up under the assumption that someone actually wanted to debate and discuss...

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

That sure makes it harder to actually have a debate or a discussion.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Honestly, it's not untrue. "Real" has a lot of different meanings and I'd suspect you're calling some things "real" on little more than faith as well. And yeah, DnD as a whole does need to deal with the fact that God/religion is a real thing in the world.

CommieGIR posted:

Truly, I guess we all showed up under the assumption that someone actually wanted to debate and discuss...

It makes it hard when you ignore what I'm saying and just go for the lowest hanging fruit. Debate and discussion is there to be had... just... post better.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

I'd love to debate and discuss this with you but you don't seem like you know what your talking about and lash out whenever you are called on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Real" has a lot of different meanings and I'd suspect you're calling some things "real" on little more than faith as well.

Uh....huh....

drilldo squirt posted:

I'd love to debate and discuss this with you but you don't seem like you know what your talking about and lash out whenever you are called on it.

Because I've been calling you stupid this whole time, right? :allears:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

I actually believe in submission to God.

I think you'd do well to educate yourself on the different levels of mitzvot. Charity from submission is the lowest form of mitzvot.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Uh....huh....

Maybe try a basic philosophy class.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

drilldo squirt posted:

All Jesus want's is ethics in video game journalism.

Where do you believe other major religious orders fall on the #GG spectrum? (excepting judaism, no need to say a word about it bc it's obvious)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maybe try a basic philosophy class.

Philosophy actually does not make reality a premise of faith. Its nice to think about, but the physical and natural worlds still exist regardless of which philosophical school you chose.

Its why science and philosophy have gone separate ways, and metaphysics is no longer a scientific school of thought.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Philosophy actually does not make reality a premise of faith. Its nice to think about, but the physical and natural worlds still exist regardless of which philosophical school you chose.

Its why science and philosophy have gone separate ways, and metaphysics is no longer a scientific school of thought.

Alright, let's start from square one. What is real?

Bonus points: What is an axiom?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

You still don't get it, do you? You can't just say "What you're doing is stupid," and declare yourself a winner. The first time someone says "Nu-uh," you'll end up beheading them to prevent anyone else from disagreeing.

Alas, you're the real puppetmaster and all the world your stage. I take it on the basis of faith that belief in your ability to manipulate the currents of social affairs far exceeds the rest of D&D, and that you are a true and unique snowflake whose existance has meaning and greater purpose.

Alright, let's start from square one. What is real?

Bonus points: What is an axiom?

There are two realms of nature: That which is human, and that which is divine. Any concept which is "real" or could be perceived is distinctly within the realm of human nature.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 16, 2014

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think you'd do well to educate yourself on the different levels of mitzvot. Charity from submission is the lowest form of mitzvot.

I'm Muslim I'm making an islam refrence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

You still don't get it, do you? You can't just say "What you're doing is stupid," and declare yourself a winner. The first time someone says "Nu-uh," you'll end up beheading them to prevent anyone else from disagreeing.

I didn't just say "what you're doing is stupid" I explained why and he never responded to that part.

quote:

Alas, you're the real puppetmaster and all the world your stage. I take it on the basis of faith that belief in your ability to manipulate the currents of social affairs far exceeds the rest of D&D, and that you are a true and unique snowflake whose existance has meaning and greater purpose.

... you are an idiot. Like... not CommieGIR style where he's just a bit too worked up, but you just consistently espouse bad and/or stupid ideas like it's your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also, people don't go to church on sunday for a discussion, they go there for a harangue. The church structure is not made for serious discussion, but just as a sort of ho-hum thing.

• Locked thread